• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I like how the Direct was like "We made this character in absolutely secrecy, so very few people at Nintendo even know who it is!" to "Nintendo made me put them in..."

It almost feels like Nintendo went "Sakurai is the magical pixie face of Smash that everyone loves, and now everyone is mad at him! Quick, shift the blame to faceless Nintendo execs so we can go back to using him as a mascot!"
You do understand that the pass itself would have been one of the most "in the loop only" type things Nintendo as a whole would do and would likely only be known by the top executives and a bunch of random interns at Nintendo who update the site and such, right? Top executives and creative consultants who work with Sakurai to make those decisions are absolutely going to be on a "need to know" basis.

If Nintendo does add another promotional character, I'm not sure what they'd go with out of our current lineup. Aside from Astral Chain, SwSh, and maybe BotW2, there aren't many options to choose from.

We might get a few more contenders at E3, but still, that's not a guarantee. I'd say a promotional character would have to come from any of the three games mentioned above unless something else comes up.
Dragalia Lost, Ring Fit Adventure, and basically any games that release by like July of this year totally work.

Or maybe they don't do another promotional character because there's not really indication that they have to.

For starters, FE is doing well, but saying it's Nintendo's third biggest franchise is a huge exaggeration. Outside the big 3 (Mario [spinoffs included], Zelda, Pokemon), it's still dwarfed by Smash, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon. The best comparison is calling it an equal to Kirby, because sales have been pretty close between the two franchises lately. It got a character because of good timing and a rotating cast.

Second, you're focusing on money and sales, which wasn't the point I was trying to make at all. A lot of people still dislike Corrin and Bayo as a character to this day because of Smash. I think there were better ways of promoting 3H, most of which wouldn't have caused such an uproar. I don't expect Byleth to be an easy topic for conversation any time soon, which is why I say adding him may have done more harm to his name than good.
Number one: Fire Emblem has made over $600,000,000 through Fire Emblem Heroes, so you're clearly underestimating Fire Emblem as a brand. Sure, the main games haven't sold near that amount, but that's almost all raw profit on Nintendo's end and even the best selling titles on Nintendo's side of things are going to struggle to meet those kinds of numbers. About half of a retail copy goes back to the publisher when any given game is sold. Since Nintendo doesn't have to worry about platform costs and probably has more leverage in any given situation, we'll be charitable and say that they get around $40 for every $60 purchase a consumer makes. To achieve the kind of profit that Heroes has done, those Nintendo titles have to sell about 15,000,000 copies... and that's not even accounting for how much production on bigger titles cost, the advertising budget, etc. or the fact that tons of Nintendo's other highest selling franchises have had more entries that have traditionally sold at lower prices to begin with. It's also one of Nintendo's oldest and most consistent brands as a series, and has literally done nothing but continue on an up swing since Awakening achieved its massive sales turnaround. I think Fire Emblem deserves way more respect than the Smash fan base gives it because it has certainly morphed into one of their main brands in the past decade.

The vast majority of people and Fire Emblem fans who have played and loved Three Houses could not give less of a **** if a bunch of rabbid Smash fans are angry that Byleth got in, and the vast majority of the Smash fan base has probably moved on too, so I think Three Houses will be fine reputation wise as a near universally beloved title. The only place I see any hate for Bayonetta is in the Smash forums where petty fans cannot move on from something that happened 4+ years ago that still got a very popular and fan requested character in, so again, I don't even really see that "a lot of people hate Bayonetta." Hell, the way the Bayonetta games have been received couldn't disprove this idea more considering that the ports and announcement of Bayonetta 3 drew lots of attention. Corrin mostly gets **** because Fates was a trainwreck by all accounts anyway. Worrying about how the "titles will be received because of a Smash appearance" is kind of nonsensical to consider. Smash fans who didn't like Byleth were almost certainly never going to play or care about Three Houses anyway.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Right now we've been lured into thinking an indie character isn't possible due to the deconfirmation of several popular choices, but every time we think we know a "rule" about character inclusions in Smash, Sakurai breaks it.
That is pretty much why I won't be surprised if a character from an Indie game will pop up in fighter pass 2.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Late to this subject, but did everyone see the part of the column where Sakurai mentioned FP2 details in two weeks?

That would line up perfectly if the rumored Direct is next week with a reveal.
And possibility more the reason Crash based on MandyCan's sources could in fact be true.

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
Reimu would be FAR MORE unique than Steve ever could be. Let’s JUST be honest with ourselves.
I don’t mean to hate or bash on those who want Steve but seriously? There are bigger choices out there in general and while these 6 have already been chosen. Im a bit skeptical on Nintendo’s choices (in a way)
Because while they made good choices so far, I just wonder how 3rd Party will this be, if we get 1st party characters then, who will they be? If it’s 1st Party I just think those with potentially the best chances would be either Adeleine & Ribbon OR Bandana Dee,
Sylux and Giygas and maybe Dixie Kong with the exception of a potential Gen 8 Pokemon. They all don’t have spirits as far as I’m aware.
I don’t think Assist Trophies have a shot besides Waluigi. As far as Spirits, I’ll just say Geno or Shantae and that’s all I can see IF they ever got promoted and nobody else. People wanting Isaac playable is no different than me wanting Bomberman playable.
It ain’t never happening and it sucks to say but I just think it’s probably the closest thing to the truth tbh.
If anything it just sucks we gotta wait for surprises months at a time again. I’d rather they do what MK11 did where they revealed everyone and just put dates on when to expect them. I’d much RATHER have that happen than us waiting for months at a time to even KNOW Who it even is.
My six picks by order of appearance not by favorite:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Reimu
4. Madeline (Celeste)
5. Saber (Fate)
6. Master Chief

According to some leak from a few days ago:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Dante
3. Geno
4. Arle Nadja
5. Reimu
6. Lloyd Irving

I’d take either one of these lists.
I look forward to how many more Mii Costumes we will get that “technically” makes them playable like Sans and Cuphead. Meme characters work best in that treatment so hopefully we get a few more of those. I’d take Hollow Knight and Bendy for those.

Several final mode ideas: could be Boss Mode
Or even add CPUs to online maybe or something? Idk any more modes he would bring into it that are gonna be more than that tbh. I’d love Break the targets but I do kinda see already how time consuming something like that would be for Sakurai.
It would’ve had to have been done for base roster already for him to even consider bringing that back.

The arguments or discussions about impact from a game character should be dead. Sakurai said what he said in November. It’s more about who’s more fun than who’s recognizable. People still don’t get that for some reason and while Sakurai TENDS to be tricky. I don’t think he TROLLS as much as we would like to believe he does. Clearly he’s also been listening very closely to what we say too. He already knows our disdain for FE and Swordfighters in general but he has to follow what Nintendo sends to him. It usually ever seems to fall through whenever he can’t make the character work for the game and we know he’s had many scrapped fighters throughout the series that have either finally made the cut or have yet to make the cut into the game that’s if at all.

So I think impact is the last thing to resort to in regards to why a character should get in.
Sakurai seemed to make that very clear already but we’re gonna always assume he’s trolling us to some degree when I just don’t think that’s often the case tbh.

I mean if this wasn’t true? We would’ve stopped asking for Goku in 2008 but yet here we are...
Still asking for him and still trying to desperately entertain the possibilities, even though what’s done is done. No means no and we shouldn’t use the Ridley example either. Video Game characters of origin is all he said would happen. Idk why or how long it’s gonna take for many of us to realize that already.
I almost rooted for Geralt until I realized he originated from a book and so I said oh nvm then, that won’t work.

Regardless of who gets chosen with these 6.
This will definitely be a different Smash Bros game than we ever remembered it. That’s even the case right now with the 8 fighters we just got.
Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie,
Sans, Terry, Byleth and Cuphead.
So far? I can’t REALLY complain about that.
I just hope Nintendo made the right choices and will give us the right lineup that I hope MOST of us wanted. Even though regardless somebody won’t be happy but oh well, this is a celebration of video games in general. I can’t really complain about the entire spectacle as a whole. It’s a masterpiece being made in front of our own eyes for the fifth time in a row.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Reimu would be FAR MORE unique than Steve ever could be. Let’s JUST be honest with ourselves.
I don’t mean to hate or bash on those who want Steve but seriously? There are bigger choices out there in general and while these 6 have already been chosen. Im a bit skeptical on Nintendo’s choices (in a way)
Because while they made good choices so far, I just wonder how 3rd Party will this be, if we get 1st party characters then, who will they be? If it’s 1st Party I just think those with potentially the best chances would be either Adeleine & Ribbon OR Bandana Dee,
Sylux and Giygas and maybe Dixie Kong with the exception of a potential Gen 8 Pokemon. They all don’t have spirits as far as I’m aware.
I don’t think Assist Trophies have a shot besides Waluigi. As far as Spirits, I’ll just say Geno or Shantae and that’s all I can see IF they ever got promoted and nobody else. People wanting Isaac playable is no different than me wanting Bomberman playable.
It ain’t never happening and it sucks to say but I just think it’s probably the closest thing to the truth tbh.
If anything it just sucks we gotta wait for surprises months at a time again. I’d rather they do what MK11 did where they revealed everyone and just put dates on when to expect them. I’d much RATHER have that happen than us waiting for months at a time to even KNOW Who it even is.
My six picks by order of appearance not by favorite:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Reimu
4. Madeline (Celeste)
5. Saber (Fate)
6. Master Chief

According to some leak from a few days ago:
1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Dante
3. Geno
4. Arle Nadja
5. Reimu
6. Lloyd Irving

I’d take either one of these lists.
I look forward to how many more Mii Costumes we will get that “technically” makes them playable like Sans and Cuphead. Meme characters work best in that treatment so hopefully we get a few more of those. I’d take Hollow Knight and Bendy for those.

Several final mode ideas: could be Boss Mode
Or even add CPUs to online maybe or something? Idk any more modes he would bring into it that are gonna be more than that tbh. I’d love Break the targets but I do kinda see already how time consuming something like that would be for Sakurai.
It would’ve had to have been done for base roster already for him to even consider bringing that back.

The arguments or discussions about impact from a game character should be dead. Sakurai said what he said in November. It’s more about who’s more fun than who’s recognizable. People still don’t get that for some reason and while Sakurai TENDS to be tricky. I don’t think he TROLLS as much as we would like to believe he does. Clearly he’s also been listening very closely to what we say too. He already knows our disdain for FE and Swordfighters in general but he has to follow what Nintendo sends to him. It usually ever seems to fall through whenever he can’t make the character work for the game and we know he’s had many scrapped fighters throughout the series that have either finally made the cut or have yet to make the cut into the game that’s if at all.

So I think impact is the last thing to resort to in regards to why a character should get in.
Sakurai seemed to make that very clear already but we’re gonna always assume he’s trolling us to some degree when I just don’t think that’s often the case tbh.

I mean if this wasn’t true? We would’ve stopped asking for Goku in 2008 but yet here we are...
Still asking for him and still trying to desperately entertain the possibilities, even though what’s done is done. No means no and we shouldn’t use the Ridley example either. Video Game characters of origin is all he said would happen. Idk why or how long it’s gonna take for many of us to realize that already.
I almost rooted for Geralt until I realized he originated from a book and so I said oh nvm then, that won’t work.

Regardless of who gets chosen with these 6.
This will definitely be a different Smash Bros game than we ever remembered it. That’s even the case right now with the 8 fighters we just got.
Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie,
Sans, Terry, Byleth and Cuphead.
So far? I can’t REALLY complain about that.
I just hope Nintendo made the right choices and will give us the right lineup that I hope MOST of us wanted. Even though regardless somebody won’t be happy but oh well, this is a celebration of video games in general. I can’t really complain about the entire spectacle as a whole. It’s a masterpiece being made in front of our own eyes for the fifth time in a row.
Stopped reading immediately when I saw that part of the “leak”.

Also, lol at taking /v/ “leaks” seriously.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
And possibility more the reason Crash based on MandyCan's sources could in fact be true.
Umm, if anything, that could potentially be a huge strike against him if FP6 is next week.

E3 would be the most appropriate setting for Crash, without a doubt. Can’t imagine him getting revealed anywhere else.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Umm, if anything, that could potentially be a huge strike against him if FP6 is next week.

E3 would be the most appropriate setting for Crash, without a doubt. Can’t imagine him getting revealed anywhere else.
True but Crash would still be a great start for SP2.

Others also would be 2B, Dante, Geno and Phoenix Wright.

Be great if 2B or Phoenix Wright were first then Crash being second announced at E3.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Back to Indies, I still think there’s a SLIM chance that we could get Frisk. The Sans Mii costume could very well be all of the Undertale content we get, but maybe it also changed Sakurai/Nintendo’s minds.

That reveal got a HUGE, positive reaction & I’m sure the costume sold like crazy. Maybe it convinced Nintendo & Sakurai that they should make a full-on Undertale character. *puts on tinfoil hat* Maybe it’s even the reason we have 6 characters instead of 5? They could’ve added Frisk onto the characters they had already selected.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Number one: Fire Emblem has made over $600,000,000 through Fire Emblem Heroes, so you're clearly underestimating Fire Emblem as a brand. Sure, the main games haven't sold near that amount, but that's almost all raw profit on Nintendo's end and even the best selling titles on Nintendo's side of things are going to struggle to meet those kinds of numbers. About half of a retail copy goes back to the publisher when any given game is sold. Since Nintendo doesn't have to worry about platform costs and probably has more leverage in any given situation, we'll be charitable and say that they get around $40 for every $60 purchase a consumer makes. To achieve the kind of profit that Heroes has done, those Nintendo titles have to sell about 15,000,000 copies... and that's not even accounting for how much production on bigger titles cost, the advertising budget, etc. or the fact that tons of Nintendo's other highest selling franchises have had more entries that have traditionally sold at lower prices to begin with. It's also one of Nintendo's oldest and most consistent brands as a series, and has literally done nothing but continue on an up swing since Awakening achieved its massive sales turnaround. I think Fire Emblem deserves way more respect than the Smash fan base gives it because it has certainly morphed into one of their main brands in the past decade.
why don't they just move over to mobile game development and push all their mobile brands over anything else, that'll make them way more money and we'll get more great decisions from Nintendo like monthly paid passes. it doesn't matter if -you- don't like it, it makes money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoIZWjHA-g
feh.PNG

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Late to this subject, but did everyone see the part of the column where Sakurai mentioned FP2 details in two weeks?

That would line up perfectly if the rumored Direct is next week with a reveal.
Yeah. If Sakurai's gonna give us more info on Fighters Pass 2, it would help if Fighter 6 was revealed beforehand to help establish what the Pass will (at least mostly) be like, after which he can expand on it with additional info.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yes, he thinks Hero is solely about shilling DQXIS despite its hero not being the only one you can play as.
I've heard people say Terry was a shill pick from SNK Heroines despite none of Terry's vast amount of content coming from that game.

Garou Terry should've been a costume though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've heard people say Terry was a shill pick from SNK Heroines despite none of Terry's vast amount of content coming from that game.

Garou Terry should've been a costume though.
Sakurai said the lack of a hat would be a problem, and yet female Byleth has animation changes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So assuming FP6 is next week and given it'd make more sense for Crash to be an E3 reveal and second in the Pass.

Hoping for either 2B or Amaterasu/Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My plan for Fighters Pass 2 is waiting until at least the first three characters are revealed... but Phoenix Wright would be a hype enough pick for me that, if he's Fighter 6, I'm just gonna buy the pass right off the bat without waiting.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My plan for Fighters Pass 2 is waiting until at least the first three characters are revealed... but Phoenix Wright would be a hype enough pick for me that, if he's Fighter 6, I'm just gonna buy the pass right off the bat without waiting.
Phoenix is one of my most current wants. Him, Crash, 2B, Nightmare, Amaterasu, Master Chief (Since Doom Slayer is out of the running) and Elma.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So assuming FP6 is next week and given it'd make more sense for Crash to be an E3 reveal and second in the Pass.

2B or Phoenix would be amazing pass openers.

Also would be REALLY hype if Monokuma was a Joker like pick to open the pass with.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I saw earlier that there's a lot of discussion about whether or not they should go for older or newer characters. I don't think they should matter too much honestly.

Just give me a few I actually give a **** about and I'll be happy, no matter which era they come from.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Since we're on an Indie topic....

Which Indie characters would you personally like to see as a costume? Ones that are unlikely to be fighters or won't work but may fit as costumes.

I have quite a few ideas. Jacket from Hotline Miami as a Mii Swordsman(With the sword being a bat), Isaac(Bind of Isaac, not Golden Sun) as a Mii Gunner, and Juan Aguacate from Guacamelee as a Mii Brawler.

Just some personal ideas but ones I'd like to see as Premium Mii costumes.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
why don't they just move over to mobile game development and push all their mobile brands over anything else, that'll make them way more money and we'll get more great decisions from Nintendo like monthly paid passes. it doesn't matter if -you- don't like it, it makes money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoIZWjHA-g
View attachment 261200
The question remains if that move is actually going to screw with profits. Because right now, FEH good will is ABSOLUTELY at an all time low, but Nintendo won't care about that if makes them more money than they were already making. Assuming it doesn't, it won't suddenly make Fire Emblem NOT a billion dollar franchise. That descriptor will just come with a few caveats.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I think that people who expect all six characters to be third parties are setting themselves up for disappointment...

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Which Indie characters would you personally like to see as a costume? Ones that are unlikely to be fighters or won't work but may fit as costumes.

I have quite a few ideas. Jacket from Hotline Miami as a Mii Swordsman(With the sword being a bat), Isaac(Bind of Isaac, not Golden Sun) as a Mii Gunner, and Juan Aguacate from Guacamelee as a Mii Brawler.

Honestly, I'd be more hyped about music than the actual skin itself in pretty much all scenarios. Like I'd think Monika from DDLC would be shoulder-shruggingly neat, but a whole DDLC medley like this one? Now THAT would be hype! It's not happening of course since Dan Salvato already said it isn't and also it'd be super weird seeing a Smash modder represented officially.

Other than that, your namesake would be neat (or anyone from Umineko really) but again, I'd be looking forward to the track they come with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think that people who expect all six characters to be third parties are setting themselves up for disappointment...
People who expect FP2 to be just like FP1 are setting themselves up for disappointment. We got people here who say Smash fans need to play/research more games, but they don't look into fighting game DLC passes not being exactly like the previous ones. Even FP1 had a different feel to it than Smash 4's DLC, with the FE newcomer in 4 not including as much content and Cloud being more well known worldwide than Erdrick among other things.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

To be fair, we had Cloud revealed for Smash 4 in a random November direct. Granted that was because Ryu was already that year's E3 and also of course the development time of the characters naturally had to be on after the other. But I wouldn't doubt Cloud being a big name that if he and Ryu had switched places (...Besides the fact that Ryu was leaked in a datamine, it probably helped that Cloud didn't have a widespread leak. I know some said someone called Tansut sort of hinted at Cloud with a Luke Skywalker code name or something but it still was mostly a surprise to many) would of blown people's minds. And in parallel to Crash, also known for being one of the big hits of the PS1 era. So if Crash is indeed FP6 and he's revealed prior to E3, we can just say it was another Cloud situation plus a headliner character to get people hyped to buy the 2nd pass. Because E3 is going to also have someone else just as if not more exciting to be certain.

I'm not saying I entirely believe Crash is FP6. As I have my own concerns about Mandy, but gotta think of the hypothetical should we get Crash outside of E3. Though I for one kind of agree that we may have to wait until E3 to find out our first character just because Nintendo likes to leave us thirsty. And even if we do get FP6 before E3, we'll still have to wait until like... April

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
Apart from the fact your most wanted is on it, please give us one reason to believe this “leak”.
Reimu is not my most wanted. She’s definitely high on my list for who I want but mainly the chances seem high only because she has those leaks that still have yet to be disproven.
Madeline from Celeste actually is my most wanted but I wasn’t sure to believe the leak or anything. I just know it wasn’t exactly talked about so I just threw it out there. Just something I happened to come across honestly and wanted to see what anybody knew about it.
Like anyone else, it can be hard to know exactly who’s coming. First parties are definitely coming it just depends on who exactly and how many.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Hollow Knight and Madeline are absolute musts imo, especially the latter because Celeste is one if my favorite games of all time and I'd live to see it get some representation. I'm not sure what they'd do for Hollow Knight since that game's soundtrack is more ambient, but Madeline having Confronting Myself is a no-brainer imo.

Another costume I'd be down for is Hat Kid for Swordfighter, just so she could use her umbrella as a sword. A Hat in Time has a lot of bangers to pull from, but the top choice for me has to be Your Contract Has Expired.

D

Deleted member

Jacket from Hotline Miami as a Mii Swordsman(With the sword being a bat)
Whether if it's a Swordfighter costume with a bat, a Brawler costume, or even a Gunner costume, Jacket will be the most hype Indie Mii Costume for me. I'll buy that in a heartbeat especially if that means we'll get a track from Hotline Miami. Maybe if Travis ends up in Smash, it'll become a reality.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Shovel Knight is already in as an Assist Trophy and Spirit, but a deluxe Mii Swordfighter costume with one of his game's tracks would be pretty sick.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shovel Knight is already in as an Assist Trophy and Spirit, but a deluxe Mii Swordfighter costume with one of his game's tracks would be pretty sick.
First non-Gunner to have a music track too, I just hope our next premium costume is a Swordfighter or Brawler

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Reimu is not my most wanted. She’s definitely high on my list for who I want but mainly the chances seem high only because she has those leaks that still have yet to be disproven.
Madeline from Celeste actually is my most wanted but I wasn’t sure to believe the leak or anything. I just know it wasn’t exactly talked about so I just threw it out there. Just something I happened to come across honestly and wanted to see what anybody knew about it.
Like anyone else, it can be hard to know exactly who’s coming. First parties are definitely coming it just depends on who exactly and how many.
I agree Reimu has a shot, but that 4chan post is obviously fake.

Not even worth humoring.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Gunvolt and Copen from the Gunvolt series - yes they’re gunners but I need Eternal Blue and the Luminous Avenger iX version of Igniter

also Ori, though they’re also a Microsoft Studios IP - Brawler, Light of Nibel (or Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark) please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom