• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sadly, after season one finished with no Capcom character, I have to agree, even if I'm a Phoenix supporter.

When is the next event or tourney, anyway? They tend to happen once every two weeks, right?
There's a River City Ransom spirit event this weekend, if that's what you mean by events.

D

Deleted member

When is the next event or tourney, anyway? They tend to happen once every two weeks, right?
With Byleth releasing on Tuesday, we're most likely getting a Fire Emblem themed Tourney on the same week unless otherwise. Mario and Pokemon both got a special tourney involving their own characters awhile ago, so Fire Emblem is definitely next in line for 1 as well.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's a River City Ransom spirit event this weekend, if that's what you mean by events.
I meant when the next one after RCR would be. Whether it is a Spirit event or Online Tourney.

With Byleth releasing on Tuesday, we're most likely getting a Fire Emblem themed Tourney on the same week unless otherwise. Mario and Pokemon both got a special tourney involving their own characters awhile ago, so Fire Emblem is definitely next in line for 1 as well.
I suppose. I also think we're getting a Brawl and Smash 4 based tourneys in the future, because of the Smash 64 and Melee ones.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So who wants to bet we might get an Nintendo Direct announced on Tuesday? If not were probably seeing it sometime in February.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Something clicked with me after the DOOM interview and the Kunio spirits the other day, it's nothing earth shattering but combined with other stuff gives some interesting implications to keep in mind.

• These six characters seem to be it, period. I've been thinking this since the reveal since by the time the second pass is done, Ultimate will have been out for atleast 2 1/2, possibly 3 years depending on where the dates actually land. Sakurai will have been working on Ultimate for almost 6 years and have been working on nothing but Smash for over 9.
  • Pass 2 is likely being negotiated and decided upon throughout 2019. Given that Sakurai confirmed the pass was finalized by atleast November, let's just assume everything is mostly set in stone in the September-November time frame.
  • More out there stuff starts happening around the time the pass would have mostly been finalized. Resident Evil Spirits? Astral Chain spirits 4 months after the game came out? The Pokemon and Daemon X Machina events happened right around release so why wait? Kunio Spirits, when Arc System Works has NOTHING in the base game? Ubisoft Mii Costumes when they don't even have a playable fighter?
The DOOM interview really only serves as support to a pretty obvious fact at this point, Smash is HUGE, companies all want their stuff in it, and Nintendo decides what makes the cut. Again, obvious, but I think the reason all of this weird stuff starts happening now is simple, they weren't going all in on adding content because they were still planning more DLC, and now that it's finalized and likely the last fighters they are going to add, these Spirits and costumes I feel are serving as representation/consolation prizes to companies/franchises that didn't make the cut. These events/mii costumes don't feel like just weird, one time things, I'd expect way more of this in the future.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Eh, it's true. However, the real issue here is making sure that convinces Nintendo to knock it off with the mystery, and after witnessing similar protests like Sword and Shield's leaks and Fates' censorship (both of which I consider to be completely justified), I'm not sure if it can work out.

Also, after about half an hour messing on Photoshop and Paint.net (because the former can't paste transparent backgrounds), I was able to finally make my own prediction card (although logos are messy, but I feel like there wasn't any way to dance around them):
View attachment 259376
What do y'all think?
5/6, not bad at all. Since we already have Incineroar, I really doubt we'll get a Pokemon character for DLC, but with everything else on this list I wouldn't mind Urshifu or any other Gen VIII Pokemon getting in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that it's now too late for a Gen 8 Pokemon to get in, but there's always the possibility of a Gen 9 Pokemon getting in if Ultimate gets DLC that far out.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sort of sick of final evos and other tough anthro Pokemon being chosen as fighters. When was the last time we had a small cute Pokemon in Smash? Brawl with Squirtle, I guess.

If there is a new Pokemon I want it to be cute and small for a change.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Something clicked with me after the DOOM interview and the Kunio spirits the other day, it's nothing earth shattering but combined with other stuff gives some interesting implications to keep in mind.

• These six characters seem to be it, period. I've been thinking this since the reveal since by the time the second pass is done, Ultimate will have been out for atleast 2 1/2, possibly 3 years depending on where the dates actually land. Sakurai will have been working on Ultimate for almost 6 years and have been working on nothing but Smash for over 9.
  • Pass 2 is likely being negotiated and decided upon throughout 2019. Given that Sakurai confirmed the pass was finalized by atleast November, let's just assume everything is mostly set in stone in the September-November time frame.
  • More out there stuff starts happening around the time the pass would have mostly been finalized. Resident Evil Spirits? Astral Chain spirits 4 months after the game came out? The Pokemon and Daemon X Machina events happened right around release so why wait? Kunio Spirits, when Arc System Works has NOTHING in the base game? Ubisoft Mii Costumes when they don't even have a playable fighter?
The DOOM interview really only serves as support to a pretty obvious fact at this point, Smash is HUGE, companies all want their stuff in it, and Nintendo decides what makes the cut. Again, obvious, but I think the reason all of this weird stuff starts happening now is simple, they weren't going all in on adding content because they were still planning more DLC, and now that it's finalized and likely the last fighters they are going to add, these Spirits and costumes I feel are serving as representation/consolation prizes to companies/franchises that didn't make the cut. These events/mii costumes don't feel like just weird, one time things, I'd expect way more of this in the future.
My face when Sora gets a mii sword fighter outfit:
20191224_165317.jpg

I think that it's now too late for a Gen 8 Pokemon to get in, but there's always the possibility of a Gen 9 Pokemon getting in if Ultimate gets DLC that far out.
For some reason I get a real passive aggressive tone from you whenever gen 8 comes up

Droodle

Smash Lord
So after being burnt out by KH3, I kinda fell off the Sora for Smash train (although I was never really on it). I had some spare cash on PSN that I'm never gonna use so I got the DLC and while the story was still meh(as I expected), the Superbosses are all so much fun. I haven't had this much fun in a game since DMC 5 came out. It's surprising because I absolutely hated the bosses in the base game, but the changes they made to the combat helps out so much.

So I guess Sora is up there as one of my most wanteds now along with Dante, and Phoenix Wright. I don't think he'll get in, but its alright to dream.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just a few more days till our hot teacher arrives.

Krankees

Smash Ace
An Ace attorney spirit event makes way too much sense for me for some reason.
If it's the same as the other spirit events, then my problem would be who to choose as the 4th spirit. Phoenix, Maya, and Edgeworth are obvious picks but then I'm struggling to choose the 4th one.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
If it's the same as the other spirit events, then my problem would be who to choose as the 4th spirit. Phoenix, Maya, and Edgeworth are obvious picks but then I'm struggling to choose the 4th one.
Godot is pretty recognizable could see them going for it. Or maybe Apollo is they want to represent stuff after the original trilogy of games.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Probably Apollo, he had a pretty major role in the last game; and was the main protagonist overall.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Mia, Pearl, Apollo, or Athena would all be good options.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Godot? Apollo? Athena Cykes?

Krankees

Smash Ace
Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Plot twist: Almost every series with a fan-requested character gets a Spirit Board event... but done in a loophole-ish way that allows said characters to still be on the table for DLC.

Example: We get a Spirit Board event for Ace Attorney... but it's entirely characters from Ace Attorney Investigations or Dai Gyakuten Saiban, allowing Phoenix Wright himself to still become DLC later.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Apollo, seems kinda obvious honestly, use Roy as the character you fight since they are both loud clones of blue characters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Plot twist: Almost every series with a fan-requested character gets a Spirit Board event... but done in a loophole-ish way that allows said characters to still be on the table for DLC.

Example: We get a Spirit Board event for Ace Attorney... but it's entirely characters from Ace Attorney Investigations or Dai Gyakuten Saiban.
Think you meant AAI2. The original AAI made it here; 2 had to have a fan made English patch (feels just like a legit Capcom USA translation too I might add)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm probably a little late on this, but this would be my ideal Fighters Pass - I'm not even going to bother making a realistic prediction, because I know I'd be WAY off.

https://i.imgur.com/8qEPkxr.png

Not sure about the image quality. If images are broken, my list is Geno, Doomguy, Elma, Dante, Rayman, and Travis Touchdown. (in no particular order)

If I even got one of those characters, I'd be happy, though there are plenty of other characters that I'd like to see. Crash Bandicoot, Bandanna Waddle Dee, or 2B come to mind, though I've only beaten two or three Crash games (not sure whether or not I should count Crash Team Racing), and I haven't played much of Nier Automata, though I have it on Steam.
Doomguy, Rayman, and I suppose Travis I can see happening

Geno, Elma, and Rayman got spirits so nah...as for Dante...not interested

overall you got yourself a real nice list of predicted characters
they ain’t gonna patch up the Pits
Mia, Pearl, Apollo, or Athena would all be good options.
Mia...Mia...Mia...Mia...do it Nintendo

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My face when Sora gets a mii sword fighter outfit:
View attachment 259419
No way would Nintendo go through negotiation hell with Disney to get Sora as a Mii Costume, and no way in hell would Disney settle for a ****ing Sora Mii Costume unless Mickey was playable instead or something ridiculous like that.

It's all or nothing with Sora.
Eh, it's true. However, the real issue here is making sure that convinces Nintendo to knock it off with the mystery, and after witnessing similar protests like Sword and Shield's leaks and Fates' censorship (both of which I consider to be completely justified), I'm not sure if it can work out.

Also, after about half an hour messing on Photoshop and Paint.net (because the former can't paste transparent backgrounds), I was able to finally make my own prediction card (although logos are messy, but I feel like there wasn't any way to dance around them):
View attachment 259376
What do y'all think?
It's got Sora. It's got Dante. I'm happy. Urshifu is kinda lame compared to what Cinderace could bring, and at this point I'm not looking forward to all of the sore winners that'll come around if Geno is fully playable. Heihachi and Ryu are eh, but I understand their appeal.

It's got Sora though so I'm automatically happy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not quite sold on Urshifu yet, it does seem like the kind of Pokemon that would be made for Smash but... would raise some questions since a DLC Pokemon would have been discussed for Smash before SWSH base game was even out. Like at least with the starters or whatever we already kinda know them by now, but setting up a character to promote a DLC expansion is a special kind of shill. Wouldn't hold it past Pokemon Company though lmao.

I guess on its own merits it's pretty neat. Idk, I'm personally still banking on Cinderace for now.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
No way would Nintendo go through negotiation hell with Disney to get Sora as a Mii Costume, and no way in hell would Disney settle for a ****ing Sora Mii Costume unless Mickey was playable instead or something ridiculous like that.

It's all or nothing with Sora.

It's got Sora. It's got Dante. I'm happy. Urshifu is kinda lame compared to what Cinderace could bring, and at this point I'm not looking forward to all of the sore winners that'll come around if Geno is fully playable. Heihachi and Ryu are eh, but I understand their appeal.

It's got Sora though so I'm automatically happy.
I Honestly don't think it would be that hard to negotiate with Disney when it comes to videogames. I don't pretend to be an expert at legal matters but I've been seeing them willing lending their IP's out to game companies pretty easily for the past few years, with remaster of their old games, and new games with their characters and stuff like that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and at this point I'm not looking forward to all of the sore winners that'll come around if Geno is fully playable.
It's not like Byleth didn't result in arguments between sore winners and losers already.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I Honestly don't think it would be that hard to negotiate with Disney when it comes to videogames. I don't pretend to be an expert at legal matters but I've been seeing them willing lending their IP's out to game companies pretty easily for the past few years, with remaster of their old games, and new games with their characters and stuff like that.
The general consensus among people that know Disney is that negotiations were impossible regardless of any known goodwill (Disney legal is a different demon, though I always believed Nintendo could make it work) before around Summer this year.

That gives Sora a small timetable for negotiations to reasonably work out if negotiations were even initiated in the first place (I work under the assumption that Nintendo has attempted to negotiate for Sora in the past but failed, as it is generally stated that negotiations for characters have failed in the past in Sakurai's book).
It's not like Byleth didn't result in arguments between sore winners and losers already.
Yeah, but this time it'd be worse. And at this point, I don't want any additional toxicity.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Disney is legal hell dude, seriously, their Lawyers are infamous for a reason, its on a whole other level.

Can anyone give me a template for pass 2 please? I've finally nailed down my predictions and I want to get them down so they can be proven wrong soon.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is photoshop required to use the template because I already got my 6 chosen.

76: Crash Bandicoot
77: Master Chief
78: Rex
79: Lloyd Irving
80: Travis Touchdown
81: Rillaboom

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Man, I’d be SCARED if Dante was announced. Not cause of anything relating to Phoenix’s chances, but mainly cause he’d literally be Bayonetta with a sword and a comeback mechanic in the form of Devil Trigger. ****’s scary.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The general consensus among people that know Disney is that negotiations were impossible regardless of any known goodwill (Disney legal is a different demon, though I always believed Nintendo could make it work) before around Summer this year.

That gives Sora a small timetable for negotiations to reasonably work out if negotiations were even initiated in the first place (I work under the assumption that Nintendo has attempted to negotiate for Sora in the past but failed, as it is generally stated that negotiations for characters have failed in the past in Sakurai's book).

Yeah, but this time it'd be worse. And at this point, I don't want any additional toxicity.
Fair enough, I can see how that'd be a problem.

Though it does give me the funny what if mental image of one of the times they've worked together in the past imagining that they put a sticky note in some documents simply saying "Sora for smash pls"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Man, I’d be SCARED if Dante was announced. Not cause of anything relating to Phoenix’s chances, but mainly cause he’d literally be Bayonetta with a sword and a comeback mechanic in the form of Devil Trigger. ****’s scary.
Glad someone brought this up!
This is what I’ve been telling my friends.

Yes I would love Dante. But he’s a meta-wrecker where ever he goes. Or at least he will be in Smash, if he’s designed as close to his game’s philosophy as possible.

I still support him, but I’d be scared of what his moveset would be like.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Devil Trigger is something I actually would want to know how they handle. If they handle it like Arsene....then that could be difficult to balance, especially with someone like Dante. Unless they save it for Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom