• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i just hope we get cool new franchises in the pass and if we go back to a franchise already in the game please let it be a good choice we don't need a new pokemon but we could use octoling from Splatoon 2 one of your biggest franchises right now why not capitalize on that plus i don't think it's smart to even give S&S a rep anyways seeing all the bad clout it had best to not touch it at least with Three Houses it was welcomed in the FE Community

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
i just hope we get cool new franchises in the pass and if we go back to a franchise already in the game please let it be a good choice we don't need a new pokemon but we could use octoling from Splatoon 2 one of your biggest franchises right now why not capitalize on that plus i don't think it's smart to even give S&S a rep anyways seeing all the bad clout it had best to not touch it at least with Three Houses it was welcomed in the FE Community
The second fighter pass might have been decided before the release of Sword/Shield, so the reception would not matter. Also the despite that the game sold ridiculously well so I don't think that it matters that much.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And y'all gave me **** for thinking that Byleth was more likely.
the virgin lord character
- makes routes canon
- only uses one weapon
- not voiced by koichi

the chad byleth
- keeps ambiguity live
- literally you
- uses every weapon
- voiced by koichi

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
The second fighter pass might have been decided before the release of Sword/Shield, so the reception would not matter. Also the despite that the game sold ridiculously well so I don't think that it matters that much.
IIRC Sakurai said in the Byleth Presentation that it was recorded two months before we saw it and when discussing further dlc he said the lineup is now complete. The word now may suggest it was fully decided in November like the presentation but probably not and it may not have even happened. I’ll probably have to fact check a few things

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Personally I think this is revisionism at best.

Speaking as someone who wanted them, Pac-Man and Ryu were INCREDIBLY controversial in the lead up to their reveal, with many in the fanbase being vocally against them. So much so that I'd actually say Palutena was BY FAR more wanted among the western Smash speculation base than Pac-Man was, thanks mostly to worries about him being based on The Ghostly Adventures.

Which, again, sucks because I was really excited for them lol. But back then anti-third party sentiments were much more common than they are now.
You also have to remember the Smash fandom were suprised and generally opposed to Isabelle as well, despite her being one of the most requested characters in just about every other Nintendo fandom.

They weird like that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sakurai played 242 Playstation games in 2019. Just Playstation games. And just in 2019.

I'm sure he's played TWEWY.
I realized a problem with this last night.

How long is he spending on these games? How much free time do you think he has? How much time do you think he spent playing The World Ends With You?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Of course I'm gonna buy the pass, I'm a goddamn sheep.

Also, even if I explicitly wish a character I hate got in and I he/she was never included, I'm gonna wanna learn how to beat the snot out of them, won't I?
Same here regardless to who it is. I just have this feel that the game isn't complete with every character DLC included. Count me as a sheep too.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
the chad byleth
- voiced by koichi
I don't know if this joke has been made yet, but...

My nam is (u dont need to remember) Byers Eisna, age 21, the pass month to me, is only certification exams. the entrance into garreg mach brings really exciting and worrying days.

till i these 3 very special guys...

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I bought Fighter Pass 1 and was somewhat satisfied.

I'll be buying Fighter Pass 2.

6 of my most wanted characters got in (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultdarksamus::ultbanjokazooie::ultsimon:), so I've been pretty lucky for this game.

BZocky

Smash Ace
You also have to remember the Smash fandom were suprised and generally opposed to Isabelle as well, despite her being one of the most requested characters in just about every other Nintendo fandom.

They weird like that.
Speaking of Isabelle, what are the odds that we get a fighter pack for Animal Crossing: New Horizons?

Last edited:

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling we may get a direct on the 28, it's a Tuesday and the Nintendo fans that aren't big in Smash are missing it. I also think that if we get it, there might be a character reveal.
I usually don't have this mindset, specially when they explicitly say that the FPv2 will be up for sale with unknown contents.
But the Byleth backlash might hurt the sales of the second pass, it could really help them. Also, if people wait and the first character isn't at least Joker level, I don't think they'll be getting the pass yet either. That would mean several months of a product with low sales.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Smash is basically the only game where I don't feel apprehensive about buying DLC. Even if I don't personally care for the character in identity or moveset, both the quality and quantity of the pack tends to more than justify a purchase.

I haven't bought any Mii Costumes this time though. I bought all of the Wii U costumes until the final pack and simply didn't use the majority of them. I'll probably pick up the Cuphead and X costumes though.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
Smash is basically the only game where I don't feel apprehensive about buying DLC. Even if I don't personally care for the character in identity or moveset, both the quality and quantity of the pack tends to more than justify a purchase.

I haven't bought any Mii Costumes this time though. I bought all of the Wii U costumes until the final pack and simply didn't use the majority of them. I'll probably pick up the Cuphead and X costumes though.
I decided to buy everything this time around, just for completion sake, but I completely understand not wanting to. The only thing I don't like is that there's no option to make the Miis show up in random (like we can with Stages) and not being able to select two of the same in Squad Strike (can't have Cuphead and Sans in the same team). If those were possible, would make much more sense to have them all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know if this joke has been made yet, but...

My nam is (u dont need to remember) Byers Eisna, age 21, the pass month to me, is only certification exams. the entrance into garreg mach brings really exciting and worrying days.

till i these 3 very special guys...
jhR1WoN.png

It's all coming together.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have a feeling we may get a direct on the 28, it's a Tuesday and the Nintendo fans that aren't big in Smash are missing it. I also think that if we get it, there might be a character reveal.
I usually don't have this mindset, specially when they explicitly say that the FPv2 will be up for sale with unknown contents.
But the Byleth backlash might hurt the sales of the second pass, it could really help them. Also, if people wait and the first character isn't at least Joker level, I don't think they'll be getting the pass yet either. That would mean several months of a product with low sales.
Why would there be a Byleth backlash? Three Houses did extremely well. I doubt Byleth is hated outside of the internet.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm buying the second pass regardless

I'm sort of a completionist, I want the full
experience
Same here. TBH, even if I get someone I don't like, it's still more Smash content, which I'll gladly take.

...Also, I'm not that picky with fighters: There's only like, two or three characters still in the running that I wouldn't like. Other than that? I'm pretty much down for anything that looks fun.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think I'm gonna still buy characters individually rather than the whole pass

Smash isn't really my focus anymore and the likelihood a character I'm super interested in its relatively slim, but there may be like one or two who I feel like purchasing

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I... Have no goddamn clue how that happened
It happens for me form time to time. Usually when I've quoted multiple posts and then try and get rid of one of them, I end up removing up to the wrong [ quote ] statement.

Why would there be a Byleth backlash? Three Houses did extremely well. I doubt Byleth is hated outside of the internet.
"The internet" as relates to the Smash fanbase is a larger group of people than everyone that bought 3H.

I think I’ll buy the whole pass, but I’m gonna wait until the first character is revealed.
The only way FP2 would actually not be worth the money, even if I'm not excited about the characters, is if actually Fighter Packs started containing only echoes/clones.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
With Pokemon S&S coming out with two expansion packs this year, I don't think there's as much salt as before (at least I hope).

Also Sakurai, and Nintendo knew they were going to be some people who wouldn't like at least one two picks (judging from recent examples), but they still put them in anyway.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think I’ll buy the whole pass, but I’m gonna wait until the first character is revealed.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. It's mostly a money thing. I know I'm going to buy the pass because I'm a roster completionist for this game and passes are easy to plunk down the cash for and I'll get some savings too, but I want that burst of hype energy from the first reveal to convince me.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'll buy the pass eventually (to have everyone) but only after knowing there is at least one character I like, like I did with FP1; If the first fighter doesn't interest me, I'll wait for the second.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
With Pokemon S&S coming out with two expansion packs this year, I don't think there's as much salt as before (at least I hope).

Also Sakurai, and Nintendo knew they were going to be some people who wouldn't like at least one two picks (judging from recent examples), but they still put them in anyway.
I but I mean are there any new pokemon that are actually worth adding in I get why byleth made it but what would a new pokemon bring?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I but I mean are there any new pokemon that are actually worth adding in I get why byleth made it but what would a new pokemon bring?
The three that seem to be mostly discussed are Rillaboom, Toxtricity, and Cinderace. Rillaboom and Toxtricity would bring a musically inspired moveset based heavily around rhythm, while Cinderace would bring a soccer-based moveset, focusing around projectiles and evasive movement.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Rillaboom and Toxicity offer a rythym based moveset, Cinderance a soccer/football moveset, Zacian/Zamazenta a quadruped movest, and the list goes on. There are plenty of good options.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Even ignoring how Byleth was objectively speaking more positively received than negative, Byleth has nothing to do with V2, therefore, they cannot influence it. You know what can influence V2 though? Whoever they announce for it like how Joker made people want the pass

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I but I mean are there any new pokemon that are actually worth adding in
A gen 7 rep that gets in on better merit than "I had this wrestler moveset lying around and most of you schmucks will simply judge it by its origin series".
Long time fan favorites, like Eevee, Meowth, Gardevoir etc.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A gen 7 rep that gets in on better merit than "I had this wrestler moveset lying around and most of you schmucks will simply judge it by its origin series".
Long time fan favorites, like Eevee, Meowth, Gardevoir etc.
You know your case would be better if you didn't imply that people who like Incineroar and its moveset are "schmucks."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know your case would be better if you didn't imply that people who like Incineroar and its moveset are "schmucks."
But how else can I prove my superiority to others when it comes to tastes in children game characters in children party games? There's a bias against quadrupeds I tell you! I won't show examples because there aren't any but there are biases I tell you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom