• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
To move away from the Fire Emblem stuff, I've been thinking about how Cassandra Lee Morris has been involved with 2 DLC character announcements already. Let's keep the trend going and see who else she could be involved with:

Officer Howard
Rean Schwarzer
Elma
Neptunia
Tiz Arrior
Monokuma
Sol Badguy
2B
DOA rep
Asbel
Club Penguin rep
League of Legends rep
Indivisible rep
Spyro
Arle
Lann or Reynn (World of Final Fantasy)
Atelier rep

You know what, I think I'm changing the way I predict characters from who makes sense to who could get Cassandra Lee Morris involved.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People say the main cast of Pokemon rotates out, but it doesn't really. Not fully. Not like FE or Xenoblade. It just gets built upon. The popular, older Pokemon don't disappear after their title. In fact, they usually are among those that appear most.

There's a logic to including someone from the newest Gen, but there's just as much logic to include an older Pokemon with more consistent popularity. Posterity, for one. They don't go that route, but it's not like that wouldn't make just as much sense.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My guess would be:
  • Tingle would be bad initially, but depending on execution would have a similar reception to that of Piranha Plant.
  • Wolf Link & Midna would be mixed. On the one hand, it's Link again. On the other hand, Midna's here too.
  • Girahim would probably garner praise from The Legend of Zelda fanbase, but they'd also have to deal with the "Ew anime swordfighter" crowd.
    • His tongue action would continue to make me uncomfortable.
  • Impa and Vaati would be the best received, with Vaati likely being the more visually and mechanically interesting of the two.
  • The champions (Urbosa in particular) would be decently well received as well.
  • A Deku Baba would not be well received.
If Wolf Link is repetitive just do Midna on her own. Win-win.

Also you did not just make a breakdown of potential Zelda newcomers and not include Skull Kid.

This thread is literally just pretending Incineroar didn't happend huh
I try to

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Jesus Christ.
My god. As someone who was really salty about Byleth, I would never, ever, imagine saying this. To think that people can steep that low.

Edit: talking about the image of course. Not him saying jesus christ

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I saw an argument for Sora to be in Smash just for the fact that knowing Nomura, he will find a way to make it canon to Kingdom Hearts lore and put at least 1 important new piece of lore in it.
I never knew how much I needed Smash to become Kingdom Hearts canon until now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, to take a break from FE, I'm happy to see LM3 and SwSh selling well.

LM3 became the 5th best-selling game of 2019 in the US despite only being on sale for 2 months.

Pokemon Sword itself was the 6th best-selling game. Shield was 9th. Combine the two, and you probably have a game that's somewhere in the top 3, and that's only a month and a half of sales.
Pretty good considering how weird a game series it kind of is.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To move away from the Fire Emblem stuff, I've been thinking about how Cassandra Lee Morris has been involved with 2 DLC character announcements already. Let's keep the trend going and see who else she could be involved with:

Officer Howard
Rean Schwarzer
Elma
Neptunia
Tiz Arrior
Monokuma
Sol Badguy
2B
DOA rep
Asbel
Club Penguin rep
League of Legends rep
Indivisible rep
Spyro
Arle
Atelier rep

You know what, I think I'm changing the way I predict characters from who makes sense to who could get Cassandra Lee Morris involved.
Cassandra theory is go

Every time I think I understand the Kingdom Hearts story, I'm still lost.
I can't tell if people are joking about this or not, I never found the KH plot hard to understand, just really meaty and thick

I saw an argument for Sora to be in Smash just for the fact that knowing Nomura, he will find a way to make it canon to Kingdom Hearts lore and put at least 1 important new piece of lore in it.
Oh, I totally need this.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Let's have a fun game: you're somehow confirmed that Gooigi is going to be part of the pass, but in order to include him, he's gonna be unique and not an echo.

How do you expect him to play like.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Alright, to get off the Fire Emblem discussion for a bit, I have a question to everyone. We know that the budget for the team has been lowered significantly so as a result the team relies on live presentations, and it's gonna take two years to develop six characters as opposed to the previous fighters pass when it took one year to develop five characters.

My question is this, could the lowered budget have also affected the choices chosen as DLC?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Well, to take a break from FE, I'm happy to see LM3 and SwSh selling well.

LM3 became the 5th best-selling game of 2019 in the US despite only being on sale for 2 months.

Pokemon Sword itself was the 6th best-selling game. Shield was 9th. Combine the two, and you probably have a game that's somewhere in the top 3, and that's only a month and a half of sales.
It's great to see Luigi's Mansion 3 doing so well. It's a super polished and charming experience that definitely deserves more love than it gets. Plus, it's about time the good folks at Next Level Games get some respect, easily Nintendo's most underrated development studio.

On the topic of Smash, I still think King Boo would be fun, even if his fight in Luigi's Mansion 3 was a little on the bull****ty side. Plus, we still haven't gotten a dedicated ghost in Smash Bros yet.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I can't tell if people are joking about this or not, I never found the KH plot hard to understand, just really meaty and thick
I'm sure that if I watch more in-depth explanations in other videos I'll grasp the concept. It's just that sometimes explanations go so in-depth it's hard to keep track. I mean the whole Xehanort thing had me confused for little awhile.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, to get off the Fire Emblem discussion for a bit, I have a question to everyone. We know that the budget for the team has been lowered significantly so as a result the team relies on live presentations, and it's gonna take two years to develop six characters as opposed to the previous fighters pass when it took one year to develop five characters.

My question is this, could the lowered budget have also affected the choices chosen as DLC?
Probably not.

Hypothetically it would mean that the next 6 characters are going to have less gimmicks and/or resource intensive mechanics, buuuuut at the same time I feel like if Sakurai really wanted to represent a feature from the original game, he'll do it regardless.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Maybe we will see a few more first parties in the second pass. Because lowered budget = Less money to convince third parties to agree.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Let's have a fun game: you're somehow confirmed that Gooigi is going to be part of the pass, but in order to include him, he's gonna be unique and not an echo.

Similar to Isabelle or Dr. Mario where he's very much similar to Luigi but has enough changed in his moveset to not be considered an echo fighter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Maybe

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It would be nice to see Smash get acknowledged in other games. Like someone from Zelda or even Castlevania or Persona 5 R mention something like, "Ah, you are back from smashing with your friends" or "Remember that time when you fought Mario, Pikachu, and even Wii Fit Trainer? Like she shouldn't even have skill when it comes to fighting."

Technically this already kind of happened in Isabelle's trailer. Even though it's not within the new Animal Crossing, it could still easily be canon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'd only want Andy in for our boy Ura Ura . He's been waiting for too long. Same reason I was happy Chrom was in, since I know he's @Opossum's boy.
Aww shucks, I dunno what to say. Embarrass
Apparently Intelligent Systems considered it:

But nothing has happened so far evidently. I definetely think AW could be a decent if not great fit for mobile - Fire Emblem Heroes proved it and then some. Still, there's a great point in there: what would be the right idea and the right concept? Sometimes the solution can be a weird one. For example - would you consider combining Tom and Jerry with Dead by Daylight at first glance?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And yet the combination actually exists.
Yeah that was the comment from 2017. And ever since then, there's been rumors of AW Mobile and a trademark to back it up from Dec 2018. Which is a big reason why i'm hopeful for Andy on this pass along with him offering something new to the table no other character can bring (Sakurai really emphazied this part in that video).

As for the right idea, I think having updated War Room missions and new Campaign scenario's would be a huge hook for the series along with the standard multiplayer focus; batting with others and sharing maps. That and having all the CO's in one game would be really neat.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

At the very least I don't think we'll see another Hero tier character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The people who want more Capcom characters have nothing to worry about in this regard since they are way too easy to work with.

But hoo boy for a guy like me who wants Sora this kinda makes me nervous knowing how you have to negotiate with two completely separate companies for all his content.
c706050bdd601f80597ab3125fc769a93b025c99r1-814-853v2_hq.jpg

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

He dissolves instantly when his body comes in contact with the salty tears of fans.

Jokes aside, just give him the Poltergust abilities from LM3 and that should be enough for most of his moveset. Strobe light can stun opponents, he can suction up opponents like K. Rool (only there's no projectile and he can still move around), and he can recover using a jet of air emitted from the back of the Poltergust.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I am very, VERY interested in seeing Sakurai's next Famitsu column. I have no doubt he anticipated a fair bit of backlash, he usually does.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It would be nice to see Smash get acknowledged in other games. Like someone from Zelda or even Castlevania or Persona 5 R mention something like, "Ah, you are back from smashing with your friends" or "Remember that time when you fought Mario, Pikachu, and even Wii Fit Trainer? Like she shouldn't even have skill when it comes to fighting."

Technically this already kind of happened in Isabelle's trailer. Even though it's not within the new Animal Crossing, it could still easily be canon.
It ironically got acknowledged in Xenoblade 2 :laugh:

Eldrake

Smash Lord

If I made video games and I somehow got a character in Smash, I'd probably love to figure out how to reference Smash without said reference being too jarring.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman

Officer Howard
Rean Schwarzer
Elma
Neptunia
Tiz Arrior
Monokuma
Sol Badguy
2B
DOA rep
Asbel
Club Penguin rep
League of Legends rep
Indivisible rep
Spyro
Arle
Atelier rep

Don't try to make us talk about something else ok. WE WILL BE MAD AND TALK ABOUT THIS FOREVER EVEN IF WE CAN'T CHANGE IT AND WE ARE JUST SOME RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET! AM I CLEAR?!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Wolf Link is repetitive just do Midna on her own. Win-win.
I feel like she would be better represented as a Banjo & Kazooie style duo. Even Hyrule Warriors uses a not version of him.

Also you did not just make a breakdown of potential Zelda newcomers and not include Skull Kid.
If you've seen any of my breakdowns you know I always miss one crucial part. Every time. Without fail. Even my list of wanted characters had this issue.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Possibly. Everything is just speculation for now, but a lowered budget would suggest either more first-parties or cheaper third-parties.

I'm fine with the former, but I don't think many people would enjoy a pass of Terry characters. If they can't afford stuff like Hero, then try aiming for cheaper characters who are highly requested.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I am a bit worried about Neku because Square-Enix, but not so much KOS-MOS. fairly confident Ryu Hayabusa and/or Arle Nadja will happen anyway as much as I am "meh" about them. BUT BRING ON THE NINTENDO PEEPS. ELMA, FIORA, BANDANA DEE, OCTOLING, BLACK SHADOW. ANY OF THESE. AND THEY'RE ALL SPIRIT PROMOTIONS SO IT'LL BE EVEN CHEAPER!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

The Bayo 2 port did this when you used Smash amiibo that didn't provide a costume.
And Persona 5 already had a Smash reference in the original release

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
People say the main cast of Pokemon rotates out, but it doesn't really. Not fully. Not like FE or Xenoblade. It just gets built upon. The popular, older Pokemon don't disappear after their title. In fact, they usually are among those that appear most.

There's a logic to including someone from the newest Gen, but there's just as much logic to include an older Pokemon with more consistent popularity. Posterity, for one. They don't go that route, but it's not like that wouldn't make just as much sense.
Definitely. Pokemon Trainer was added to Brawl during Gen 4, yet Sceptile and other older Pokemon were neglected during Ultimate's speculation because they would never add an older Pokemon in favor of a newer Pokemon except for that time they did just that three times. Incineroar was my most wanted Pokemon during speculation, but I still pushed for Pokemon like Gengar and Deoxys because so many Pokemon are cool and should be considered for Smash.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I think we are gonna get a 50/50 first party and third party with at least one of the first party characters being from a 2020 game. Character 1 I think will also be the make or break moment for Spirit promotions. As if they are on the table for Season 2, then I think that is how they should start the season out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom