• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Pokemon and Zelda are the only ones that I can see happening. If the 2nd Pack's characters were decided around E3, I can't imagine Metroid getting a character considering Metroid Prime 4 was restarted around last January, making it likely that Metroid Prime 4 was still in concept form around E3. Shield and Sword at least have released recently and Breath of the Wild 2 is coming around, so those 2 are the ones with the biggest chance of getting another character in Season 2.
If Spirits don't affect chances, than the other possibilities are Geno and maybe Elma if they want to advertise Xenoblade X for Switch.
I could definitely see Ring Fit as a major candidate. Not only because of the parralels to :ultwiifittrainer:, but also since she's got a new weapon and thus a lot of room for new attacks. Something Sakurai does like to do with newcomers. Also, it's been doing really well, so if Nintendo is indeed going for promotion with its own characters I could see them pushing for RF.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
The real fun comes on the 28th when people start to lab Byleth and the local dataminers upload their params to twitter

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I’m happy with Byleth. Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem game, and it’s nice that we finally have a character (let alone a Fire Emblem character) that uses a lance and axe. Also 6 more characters! That’s insane!
I find it pretty funny that of all the games to represent the weapon triangle fully, it is a rep from a game without the actual triangle in place.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I genuinely have no idea who could be in this second pass.
I thought I had Sakurai figured out, but he did a straight troll by surprising me with Byleth since I was expecting a third-party character.
What a strange turn of events where Byleth is the surprise.
1st and 2nd rule of Smash Speculation is that you will never have Sakurai figured out.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And that's another thing. People calling Blythe 'just another goddamn Marth.' You mind telling me when Marth can use a spear, an axe, and a bow throughout their entire moveset?
Didn't you know? "clone" now means "fighter with oddly-colored hair and some kind of blade".

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Didn't you know? "clone" now means "fighter will oddly-colored hair and some kind of blade".
The sad reality of the Smash community. If it isn't a funny-looking character or anthropomorphic like Toad or Crash Bandicoot, then it's 100% a glorified clone.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I believe that if Smash were to have a Xenoblade X character, it's going to be the avatar. With the luck characters like Chrom have had in the past against avatars, that's the most likely scenario, assuming that X is even getting ported at all.
The thing with Cross is that unlike Robin, Corrin and Byleth, who have their own unique class, outfit and set of weapons. Cross has nothing unique and exclusive to them and their default outfit is used by a number of NPCs. And any weapon that any other character can use, Cross can use. You can have Cross fight with the exact same weapons as Elma.
It's true that Cross does have an official design for both his male and female form, but compared to Elma who returned as a Blade for Xenoblade 2 and has a very distinct design that allows people to recognise her, Cross hasn't come back yet and it's unknown if they will return or if Monolith would be fine with them in Smash.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
One thing that bothers me is Sakurai’s quote on Twitter spammers during the presentation and how the character selections were finalized again.

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap is basically the main reason we hardly get a say in the roster, they just see us as children begging for candy.

Sarcasm isn’t big in Japan, he doesn’t understand our modern Western humor so he will obviously take all of those stupid requests seriously and it’s why he constantly repeats on Goku and Iron Man not getting in.

If he or Nintendo don’t take notes of other sites like Smashboards here or such, they’d be ignoring the more devoted hardcore side of the fandom who’ve been requesting their characters for nearly two decades.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
One thing that bothers me is Sakurai’s quote on Twitter spammers during the presentation and how the character selections were finalized again.

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap would probably be the main reason he doesn’t seriously.

Sarcasm isn’t even a big thing in Japan, he will obviously take all of those stupid requests seriously and it’s why he constantly repeats on Goku and Iron Man not getting in.

If he or Nintendo don’t take notes of other sites like Smashboards here or such, they’d be ignoring the more devoted hardcore side of the fandom who’ve been requesting their characters for nearly two decades.
Twitter is probably the only place you can message Sakurai directly. That'd be why he brings it up.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap would probably be the main reason we don’t get a say on who gets in.

Sarcasm isn’t big in Japan, he doesn’t understand our modern Western humor so he will obviously take all of those stupid requests seriously and it’s why he constantly repeats on Goku and Iron Man not getting in.

I guarantee you it's not the only place they look, it's just far more of an understood message then "Stop requesting characters on GameFAQs and Smashboards, losers"

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap would probably be the main reason he doesn’t seriously.

Sarcasm isn’t even a big thing in Japan, he will obviously take all of those stupid requests seriously and it’s why he constantly repeats on Goku and Iron Man not getting in.

I mean, the man only really seems to use Twitter. It'd make sense if that's where he hears most feedback.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if pointing this out is more harm than good, but I don't know how to feel about this. I've seen tons of mainstream gaming outlets (stuff from IGN and GameSpot to Screenrant and Inside Gaming) cover the Byleth story and most of them are either negative or cover the negativity. I can only assume that Twitter's reacting way poorly to it. So, is this deal bigger than I think it is? Did Corrin get this kind of coverage? Piranha Plant and Incineroar did get some, I remember, but to a much smaller degree.

I dunno, would be weird to see Byleth of all characters go down as the most hated newcomer.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Does that really mean he only listens to the Twitter side of the Smash community’s requests? Cause that thought scares me, Twitter doesn’t make up the entire fanbase and he’d reading a bunch of replies like “LOL PUT GOKU IN” or “JONESY TIME BOYS” and that kind of meme crap is basically the main reason we hardly get a say in the roster, they just see us as children begging for candy.

Y-yeah that's a shame.

*Secretly hopes he looks at Phoenix Wright requests.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm not sure if pointing this out is more harm than good, but I don't know how to feel about this. I've seen tons of mainstream gaming outlets (stuff from IGN and GameSpot to Screenrant and Inside Gaming) cover the Byleth story and most of them are either negative or cover the negativity. I can only assume that Twitter's reacting way poorly to it. So, is this deal bigger than I think it is? Did Corrin get this kind of coverage? Piranha Plant and Incineroar did get some, I remember, but to a much smaller degree.

I dunno, would be weird to see Byleth of all characters go down as the most hated newcomer.
Corrin got a lot of negative responses but I don't remember any press sites making a big deal out of it.

At most you saw some petitions that were basically "remove this character" but that was about it.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
A bit late in the day/evening depending on the time zones, but I figured I'd say:
:ultjoker:: 10/10 - I was beyond ecstatic to have Joker in Smash - he was one of my dream wants for Ultimate like how Cloud was in Smash 4; "Wouldn't it be awesome if we got Joker? But it's not gonna happe..." FIRST FIGHTER OF THE DLC PASS. I was sold immediately on him and the pass thanks to Joker. Having Persona content across 3, 4 and 5 is also great and I'm pleasantly surprised by Mementos being a cool stage.
:ulthero:: 6.8/10 - I was expecting Erdrick and that he would've been a pretty bland addition but worth it since Dragon Quest is a series worthy of joining Smash. However us getting the Luminary, Erdrick, Solo and Eight was pretty surprising and the craziness of his Command Selection leading to some pretty amusing stuff. The music being the Midi versions sucks however and I was still worried about whether or not Banjo would be happening or not.
:ultbanjokazooie:: 10/10 - Another of my dream wants - I was hoping we'd finally get Banjo and Kazooie in this game and it was amazing to finally see them again. They probably have the best reveal trailer by far thanks to being a self-parody of K. Rool's reveal. They're very simple compared to all the other characters but that's part of the charm of them.
:ult_terry:: 7/10 initially to 9/10 - I would've preferred Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown as my SNK character, but after seeing the amount of love and faithfulness Sakurai showed Terry and SNK, he's easily my third favourite DLC newcomer. 50 songs and an incredibly unique stage that emulates classic fighting games with a unique flair - lots of faithful animations and nods to Fatal Fury and KOF... Yep, Terry is a blast.
:ultbyleth: 4/10 initially to a 7/10 - I was extremely worried about Byleth the minute he showed up - one reason being that I was expecting Dante and that they were also in my top ten most wanted I was fearing the reaction Byleth would get from the fanbase. Immediate salt. I am thankful that we're not ending Smash DLC on just Byleth otherwise the salt would be tremendous. And even better was that Byleth actually subverted the FE norms by having all the weapons of the House Leaders implemented into their moveset, finally giving us a character able to use all the weapons of the trademark weapon triangle and also giving nods to Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri too.
I would prefer that Byleth came in Season 2 however.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
Oh shoot, I can't believe I'm wrong for liking a character.

How dare I enjoy something, am I right? My bad. I'll remember not to enjoy things next time.
I can't help but feel like you didn't actually read my post.

I literally said in the paragraph above the one you quoted, "I'm sure I WILL ENJOY Byleth."

I'm going to enjoy the character myself. Why would you think I'd be saying you're wrong for enjoying Byleth?

No, I'm saying that if you think Byleth was a genuinely good pick, you have to be deliberately ignoring the fact that literally any other character would have been a BETTER pick.

In this context, "good" is entirely relative to the broader context of video games as a whole.

(P.S. I'm actually glad there are people who are happy about Byleth because at least the slot wasn't a total waste)

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why would he not be? It's honestly funny watching you guys squirm like you can honestly not comprehend why the 8th FE character would be poorly received.

Look at the bright side, the FE character in the second pass will be even more hated.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>Be me
>Play Fire Emblem for the first time in 2003
>Fall in love with FE
>Wish desperately for Lyn to be in Smash
>They add every other FE character except her
>Now everyone is sick of FE
>Lyn will never be in now despite being the most popular girl

Lyn win so hard.png

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I think it's more saying "We can't add everyone as a fighter".

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I also really love the Cuphead Mii costume. I can’t wait for them to add a Geno Mii gunner costume like this that comes bundled with “Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms”. :troll:
8486B9D8-28ED-4022-934B-FF22DE851E5E.jpeg

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I legitimately hate whenever I see someone complain about a character, such as Byleth, getting in not because the character is 'bad' or 'unfun' but because 'X series has too many characters while Y doesn't have much'.
I hate that comparison crap..can't people just judge a character on their own merits instead of playing a game of haves and have-nots?

>Be me
>Fall in love with FE

View attachment 258300
Honestly, I really, really want Lyn..but I don't think she'd ever get in unless they do a remake of her game..outside of Chrom, only new FE characters tend to get in.
That said, people being 'sick of FE' wouldn't stop her, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Chrom or Byleth after the meltdown people had over Corrin last time.

I also really love the Cuphead Mii costume. I can’t wait for them to add a Geno Mii gunner costume like this that comes bundled with “Beware the Forest’s Mushrooms”. :troll:View attachment 258299
I'd be fine with that. I realized the only reason I wanted Geno ever was due to my love of Super Mario RPG and wanting its Music in the game and not because I liked Geno..I mean, even doing replays of the game after wanting him Smash, I still replaced him the moment I got Bowser & Peach.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
-Please Delete..accidentally did a new post instead of adding it to my previous post via edit..-

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
>Be me
>Fall in love with FE

View attachment 258300
If an FE 6 + 7 remake is happening according to rumors, here's hoping it's the latest Fire Emblem that arrives before the next Smash Bros. But then again, Echoes was the last Fire Emblem game before Ultimate and neither Alm or Celica got in at launch......Attendre et esperer.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
The thing with Cross is that unlike Robin, Corrin and Byleth, who have their own unique class, outfit and set of weapons. Cross has nothing unique and exclusive to them and their default outfit is used by a number of NPCs. And any weapon that any other character can use, Cross can use. You can have Cross fight with the exact same weapons as Elma.
It's true that Cross does have an official design for both his male and female form, but compared to Elma who returned as a Blade for Xenoblade 2 and has a very distinct design that allows people to recognise her, Cross hasn't come back yet and it's unknown if they will return or if Monolith would be fine with them in Smash.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the avatar the only character that can be a Drifter? I don't think costume design and weapon choices would affect their chances. Give them different outfits for their alts, it worked for the Villager. Not having a unique weapon was something I thought would turn out to their favor. Imagine what they did with Byleth but with guns. One more thing, I feel like the way you're describing Cross includes some reasons as to why no one expected Robin in Smash 4.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Seriously though, Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead are three of my all time favorite indie games, so having them represented in Smash is pretty awesome. Also Cuphead as a Mii Gunner is just too perfect.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Spent the entire day catching up with the reactions in this thread.
  • Overall, I'm happy Nintendo characters are on the table after all. I'm not getting my hopes up for spirit promotions, though. I'll believe it when I see it, and when it comes to Dixie Kong, I wanna believe
  • While I was looking forward to a Three Houses character because that game is one of the most beloved entries in the series to date, I didn't want Byleth and was initially disappointed they were chosen, as someone who, from the outside looking in, found the three House leaders more interesting. But when it turned out Byleth used every leader's main weapon, I perked back up, now they look very fun and I'm looking forward to playing them.
  • Still, I'm annoyed we got the safe silent protagonist instead of one of the house leaders regardless. I haven't played 3H yet but I get the feeling some fans of that game will understand my sentiment.
  • That said, I know that reactions to a Fire Emblem newcomer are an invaluable litmus test for maturity among the Smash fandom. Predictably, some people failed, as while I definitely understand disappointment there were several people who were childish about it. I've never watched PapaGenos or whoever but after hearing the half positive things about him in this forum, seeing him go "mask off" according to descriptions in this thread is...well, pretty enlightening to say the least.
  • We have a female DLC playable character now! Cool! No, you aren't allowed to say Kazooie.
  • I'm admittedly kind of sad that, instead of only releasing other future fighters individually as they come, that they're doing a season pass again. I get the feeling Sakurai was annoyed that he has to go through this again, as well. He didn't like having to warn us to only buy the pass if we were confident about it the first time, and I didn't see any change in that sentiment from reading his facial expressions or anything when announcing Fighter's Pass 2. Sakurai clearly enjoys working on Smash, I say let him announce and release new fighters how HE wants. Oh well, bright side is we have one more fighter than the last pass.
  • So there was a giant New Year's sale tonight, that ends half an hour from now. It's been going on for a week or so, but this morning's announcement made me go "...wait, is Three Houses on sale like Mario Kart and Odyssey and all these other games are?" Sadly, it wasn't. I'm currently low on money so I'll have to wait a little longer to buy the game.
Regarding Fire Emblem characters in general, I've liked most of them, but Idon's post highlights a sad reality that always makes me bummed:

>Be me
>Fall in love with FE

View attachment 258300
The Smash team has consistently only added the main character from the latest game in the series. The only exceptions were Melee due to Marth's inclusion, and Ultimate due to Chrom's popularity and the ingenious solution of making him a Roy echo with a different up-B (If you want to split hairs, Radiant Dawn was the latest Fire Emblem at the time of Brawl's release and starred Micaiah, but that game was a continuation of a story that starred Ike, anyway). Now, Ultimate added someone from Three Houses and that game seems awesome so I don't have any problem with that. But it would be nice to see a brand new Fire Emblem character from an older game in the series, like Caeda, Sigurd, or Lyn. Hopefully it happens someday.

---

So, I've expressed a little disappointment here and there in my post, but I was respectful about it, I think. It isn't very hard, you should try it sometime if you have trouble with that sort of thing. Managing your own disappointment is hard at first, but doing it over and over teaches you a very valuable skill in terms of controlling your expectations and temperament.

I.D.

Smash Lord
  • We have a female DLC playable character now! Cool! No, you aren't allowed to say Kazooie.
Why not? At least Kazooie appears in the default appearance of the character. Can't even say that for Byleth.

Last edited:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Can't say I wasn't a little bit disappointed about Byleth, but he/she will get the chance to win me over, like Terry and Joker did, when he/she is released.
Still, a little bit salty about the Fire Emblem bias, which is now undeniable to me. Fire Emblem got 5 newcomers in the last two games, even more than Mario (4 characters) and Pokemon (2 characters), while Zelda and Kirby got zero. And I'm talking as someone who actually likes Fire Emblem and the characters in Smash, especially Marth, Lucina, Roy, Chrom and Ike.
Nonetheless, I'm happy with the first pass overall, Banjo was great, Joker and Terry won me over, only Hero I couldn't get into. And 6 more to go is fantastic, here is my wishlist:
1. Dixie Kong
2. Amaterasu
3. Sora
4. 2B
5. Bandana Dee
6. Impa

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If an FE 6 + 7 remake is happening according to rumors, here's hoping it's the latest Fire Emblem that arrives before the next Smash Bros. But then again, Echoes was the last Fire Emblem game before Ultimate and neither Alm or Celica got in at launch......Attendre et esperer.
Yeah..I'll be honest, I'd have much preferred having Celica as an Echo of Robin with a Pichu-like thing for spells but no limits on them over yet another character off of the Marth template that Chrom ended up being..at least then we wouldn't have 4 frickin' Marths.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
In a weird way it is kind of a shame that echo fighters are not really on the table anymore. If they are going to be spending two years make the next wave, and the team is getting smaller as some people suggest. It is a bit strange they took the time to rebrand them and draw attention to that specifically, only to have them only have, 5 out of 80?

I'm just saying, Malos as a Shulk echo would be neat. :p

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

Sakurai said in his latest book that he's not following any internet reactions. So I think all he knows is what is coming directly to him.
Nintendo already has their ballot results with sample size of 1.8 million votes excluding doubles. I don't think they're googling fan polls.

Lionel_B

Smash Apprentice
If I were to launch random speculations, but not devoid of logic:

-Pokemon 8G (preferably, Intelleon to have Decidueye in echo, with gameplay based on sniper)

-Another western representative (So I know that Doom slayer is more and more popular, but I got the idea that Crash Bandicoot would be perfect)

-Level-5 rep (I find it crazy that there isn't one yet! And if I had to designate one, it would be Professor Layton)

-Heihachi Mishima (Sakurai wants to put it, I thought it would be in the first Fighter Pass, but since there was already Terry, I thought it would make too much fighting game character for a pass)

And the last 2 would be very popular characters. My instinct tells me that it will be played between Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi and Steve, especially considering how the 6th place seemed to be encrusted.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Man if there was ever evidence of how Byleth's reveal went down, it's this:

That group flips out over ANYTHING, and they are just silent there...

The Mii costumes got bigger reactions.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the avatar the only character that can be a Drifter? I don't think costume design and weapon choices would affect their chances. Give them different outfits for their alts, it worked for the Villager. Not having a unique weapon was something I thought would turn out to their favor. Imagine what they did with Byleth but with guns. One more thing, I feel like the way you're describing Cross includes some reasons as to why no one expected Robin in Smash 4.
Classes in Xenoblade X don't change appearance, so being a Drifter doesn't make them any different from a Full Metal Jaguar and whatnot design-wise. And ultimately, once you master one of the end classes, you can wield the weapon in any class, meaning class doesn't matter end-game in terms of weapons. There's really nothing special about Drifter aesthetic or gameplay-wise.
Meanwhile in Fire Emblem's case, weapons are absolutely restricted by class and each class actually has a unique design. In Robin's default class, they are restricted to Swords and Tomes(although technically Dark Tomes aren't usable by Tactician except with the one skill that allows you to). With Corrin, they are restricted to Sword and Dragonstones. With Byleth in their starting default class, they can actually wield any weapon.

So if you wanted Cross to be treated accurately like from his game like Robin, Corrin and Byleth are, they'd be restricted to just a Melee weapon and Ranged weapon. And unlike Byleth, you are restricted from changing weapons once in battle, meaning Cross would only have one of the Melee weapons and one of the Ranged weapons compared to Byleth who can use 4 different weapons in the same battle. Sure, they don't have to stick to that, but considering that Xenoblade X has you constantly switching between your Melee weapon and Ranged weapon, you could miss an actual potential moveset where the moveset actually changes depending on which weapon you have compared to Byleth who uses all 4 of his weapons in one shared moveset.

Lastly, there's which weapons they would choose for Cross and it really does not help that some of the ranged weapons have been a touchy subject lately. Heck, when you start the game as the Drifter, the characters starts with a weapon originally deemed "too violent" for Smash, being the Knife that Joker managed to get past the radar with, but in Xenoblade X, they are very similar to Army Knives, and a weapon that has been very controversial lately, being the Assault Rifle. And the majority of the designs for the Knives and Assault Rifles you get are realistic.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The sad reality of the Smash community. If it isn't a funny-looking character or anthropomorphic like Toad or Crash Bandicoot, then it's 100% a glorified clone.
You'd think complaints about humans would at least result in more complaints about Incineroar's moveset feeling like it could've gone to any human wrestler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom