• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
At least I know to skip out on the next fighter pass, knowing that we're just going to get six more FE characters.
You should be doing that anyways.

Don't ever buy DLC or anything else if you don't know what it is. It's just smart financial practice.

If you give a man $5000 for a "mystery car" and both sign a contract where his only obligation to give you "a car" by a certain date, you've basically given him carte blanche to screw you over any way he wants. You've lost the right to complain when he gives you a hand-crank jalopy from 1910 that gets half a kilometer to the crank.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
For the people saying this is aggressive marketing: lol.

Not even going to try to change your mind, cause yall already decided what you selectively want to believe in. It's just kinda stupid

I haven't even played Fire Emblem and am excited for the character.

I do agree however that PapaGenos video was cathartic. I am very happy for all of those dumbass theories blowing up on his face.

Maybe he will stop with this madness and learn.
This fanbase will never learn with their theories.

The ONLY theory that has ever been true was Box theory, and that's because:

Say it with me:

A piece of promotional material that should never have been shown off in its current state lining up with credible leaks.

GuiltyGyarados

You've been told twice now to only buy the Fighter's Pass if you're 100% confident in what it will entail.
That doesn't magically make the practice okay.

"I'll never ask for anything again if you get me X"

*Gets it*

*Something they don't like*

"WHAT THE **** THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER THIS IS ALL RUINED NOW"
Why do you think saying "I'll never ask for anything" precludes you from ever being disappointed?

Just because there's no more characters that I want at this point doesn't mean that there aren't characters that I want.

For the people saying this is aggressive marketing: lol.
It's objectively aggressive marketing.

Shroob

Sup?
That doesn't magically make the practice okay.

Why do you think saying "I'll never ask for anything" precludes you from ever being disappointed?

Just because there's no more characters that I want at this point doesn't mean that there aren't characters that I want.

It's objectively aggressive marketing.
"Don't buy this unless you're confident"

*Buys it anyway while not being confident*

download.jpg

PsychoJosh

I wasn't expecting anything really good for the last fighter anyways. Found it strangely cathartic when I found myself to be right.

GuiltyGyarados

Don't ever buy DLC or anything else if you don't know what it is. It's just smart financial practice.
I actually didn't, and I'm very happy about that.

"Don't buy this unless you're confident"

*Buys it anyway while not being confident*
I literally didn't buy it, kid.

Regardless of whether I did or didn't, selling a season pass without revealing its contents is SCUMMY BUSINESS and saying "don't buy it if you're not confident" doesn't MAGICALLY make it better. It's still irresponsible, and taking advantage of your less intelligent fans, because they're not going to pay heed to any such disclaimer.

It's better to just not do the scummy thing, rather than apologize for doing it while doing it anyway. Go figure.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I actually didn't.
I literally didn't buy it, kid.

Regardless of whether I did or didn't, selling a season pass without revealing its contents is SCUMMY BUSINESS and saying "don't buy it if you're not confident" doesn't MAGICALLY make it better. It's still irresponsible, and taking advantage of your less intelligent fans.
"Kid" lol

And.... what... are you gonna do about it? Write a strongly worded letter to Nintendo?

Because from where I'm sitting, you, me, and Dupree literally can't 'do' anything about it. Sure... don't buy it, more power to you, but that's not magically going to change anything.

GuiltyGyarados

And.... what... are you gonna do about it? Write a strongly worded letter to Nintendo?
Sure, I might. I would encourage any disgruntled customer to express their grievances to their favorite companies.

That's, like, responsible.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bold assumption.
I know people like to moan about Sakurai bias and all, but we've already previously seen that the franchises that depend on recency are in the crosshairs when Roy and Mewtwo were cut in Brawl. Clones are usually some of the first on the chopping block as well, and Fire Emblem has two (or three, if we count Roy). It's very, very early to talk about of course, but when the time comes I'd be surprised if all 8 survive.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Can't believe Cuphead is the 5th fighter of the fighters pass. Absolutely mind blowing!

I.D.

Smash Lord
I know people like to moan about Sakurai bias and all, but we've already previously seen that the franchises that depend on recency are in the crosshairs when Roy and Mewtwo were cut in Brawl. Clones are usually some of the first on the chopping block as well, and Fire Emblem has two (or three, if we count Roy). It's very, very early to talk about of course, but when the time comes I'd be surprised if all 8 survive.
I don't see why Sakurai has to cut anything. It's not like FE is third party. Nothing to negotiate with anyone.

GuiltyGyarados

Boo hoo a character I didn't want got in due to aggressive marketing :(

*burst into flames*
This is why FE fans are more toxic than those who were upset about the reveal.

You're not even mocking anything that deserves to be mocked here.

You're mocking people for not liking something that you like, which makes you an example of the very thing you're mocking. And you're oblivious to it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Not even close lol.

I'm not a Fire Emblem fan at all and the people pissed are a million times more toxic lol.

You legit can't beat saying "We should send Sakurai antrax".

Last edited:

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice

You're not even mocking anything that deserves to be mocked here.

You're mocking people for not liking something that you like, which makes you an example of the very thing you're mocking. And you're oblivious to it.
I never even played Fire Emblem :'D

I'm mocking you because you're acting like a child

GuiltyGyarados

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What, an obvious joke that nobody would take seriously? That's more toxic? Okay.
"Death threats are hilarious, they're to

Die for"

Yeah, no, sorry, you make a threat against someone's life, no matter what you say, that ****'s not funny. We live in a deranged world where unstable people will act on **** like that, even if "It's just a joke, bro!"

GuiltyGyarados

Yeah, no, sorry, you make a threat against someone's life, no matter what you say, that ****'s not funny. We live in a deranged world where unstable people will act on **** like that, even if "It's just a joke, bro!"
Yeah, it's really, really funny. People have different senses of humor. No, nobody's going to act on it.

And if you think nobody has ever told FE haters to kill themselves, you're really sheltered.

Last edited:

GuiltyGyarados

"They did something bad, that means we get the right to do something equally as bad."
Your whole point was that FE haters are worse, lmao

Looks like you just admitted that you were wrong, then? Thanks! That's all you ever had to do.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Your whole point was that FE haters are worse, lmao

Looks like you just admitted that you were wrong, then?
I mean, nope.

I'm still seeing plenty of "**** SAKURAI" on reddit and twitter.

Worst I'm seeing from the other side is "Hoes mad"

And hoes must be REALLY mad.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I literally have no idea what Fire Emblem even is about mate, if your tiny brain won't believe that, it's not my problem

And I'm not mad you're mad, I don't even know the character. I'm just making fun of you because you're acting like a man child :'D

GuiltyGyarados

Worst I'm seeing from the other side is "Hoes mad"
Which is 10x more toxic.

"**** Sakurai" is a general sentiment that nobody really takes seriously. Sakurai doesn't read these messages, and if he does, he's probably unfazed by them.

"Hoes mad" is intentional mass trolling to actively **** with hundreds of people, and that's not okay.

I literally have no idea what Fire Emblem even is about mate, if your tiny brain won't believe that, it's not my problem

And I'm not mad you're mad, I don't even know the character. I'm just making fun of you because you're acting like a man child :'D
Oh cool, so you're just a troll, then. Anything else?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Which is 10x more toxic.

"**** Sakurai" is a general sentiment that nobody really takes seriously. Sakurai doesn't read these messages, and if he does, he's probably unfazed by them.

"Hoes mad" is intentional mass trolling to actively **** with hundreds of people, and that's not okay.

Oh cool, so you're just a troll, then. Anything else?
Oh it's perfectly okay.

Because hoes mad.

Like right now lol.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
"YOU'VE NO IDEA THE KIND OF THING WE FIRE EMBLEM HATERS HAVE GONE THROUGH, MY MUM SOMETIMES DOESN'T MAKE ME DESSERT :((("

This guy :chuckle::chuckle:

Last edited:

GuiltyGyarados

Rank the DLC
Joker: 4/5

A really cool pick that came totally out of left field. I don't like having guns in Smash, though, nor do I like having reps from M-rated franchises, but it's pretty light in Joker's case, and he's really cool anyway, so I can mostly accept it.

Hero: 3/5

Honestly pretty boring, but Dragon Quest is a very important franchise, and the original JRPG, so I can get behind it from that standpoint. I absolutely loathe how they designed him in the game, though. As a competitively-oriented player, I can't stand his RNG mechanics, and I think we should ban him on principle, regardless of how actually "good" he is, for the same reason that the Moody ability is banned in competitive Pokémon.

Banjo & Kazooie: 4/5

This is one where I can say I'm truly happy for the fans. That said, I don't really care too much about the bear and bird myself. I never enjoyed his games, and I don't even really think he's all that fun to play in Smash, but... They finally made it in, and that's what matters, I guess.

Terry: 3/5

The character no one knew they wanted. He's okay, I can accept him, but he doesn't really do much for me as someone who's never played any of his games, despite being a big fan of traditional fighting games. He's just a little too similar to Ken, both visually and personality-wise, for me to care too much.

Byleth: 0/5

My thoughts on this character have been thoroughly laid out by now.

I'm not sure if there's any characters left at this point that would get a 5/5 reaction from me, because I've gotten all the characters I want at this point. It's mostly just characters I'd be fine with that are left, or else I dislike/don't want them.

I unironically expect us to get at least one more FE character, and I'm going to be absolutely livid (not really, just really annoyed and sad).

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Imagine being this upset because you didn't particularly like one DLC character added to a children's party game.

Loose women irrationally angry.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's pretty telling when a death threat is defended as "just a joke guys"

Go back to 4chan lmao

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
One thing I do appreciate about Byleth is bringing the rest of the weapon triangle in her moveset. Robin brought in magic, Corrin brought in Manakete/shapeshifter representation and now Byleth brings in axe and lance.

Next FE character will represent flyers with either a Pegasus Knight or Wyvern Knight

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don’t blame people for being disappointed or uninterested, but there have been a lot of hissy fits from grown adults that I’m getting secondhand embarrassment from reading this.

And honestly, there were people on this forum gloating about how Sakurai would never add another FE character. I can’t even really blame 3H fans for prodding those people after stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom