• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, now for the real important questions.

When do we think is the general Direct going to happen, and when will they announce FP6? Before, at, or after E3?
I do think a General Direct should happen in February, otherwise Nintendo has a barren 2020 or they're criminally negligent with their marketing. However, the longer schedule for Vol 2 plus Sakurai's comments lead me to believe we won't be seeing Fighter 6 until E3.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I really don't get the whole "Sakurai bias" complaint

"why the **** does this man insist on adding the character HE wants on the game HE is making??? He must be biased!"

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Here's an analogy: FE is the employee that keeps getting promoted much more often, when it has many co-workers that perform at the same level and are perfectly qualified to receive promotions themselves: Kirby, DK, Xenoblade (more or less). Metroid, up until recently. Now it's alright.

Mario, Zelda (and Pokemon) are just higher level employees based on their performances within the company, so they have higher "salaries".

It's not a genuine hatred of the employee. It's a resentment of the way one always gets the bonus when they all, frankly, perform around the same level. It's not that that one employee isn't deserving, it's that others are as well, so just focusing on one speaks to a perceived inequality among what are, roughly, equals.
The implication that in some way Fire Emblem doesn't deserve it's success is irritating to me. This series clawed its way back from near death and has been selling great for years now, how in the world does it not deserve it? sure there's pedigree to DK and Metroid, but none of them have seen as meteoric a rise as Fire Emblem has as a series.

SKX31

Smash Master
At E3, again, dev time has clearly slowed down as the estimated time of the final pass character's release is about 10 months more than the estimated time to finish the first past
I wouldn't be surprised if they arranged for some breaks in that timeframe, or even a small vacation really. I'm not counting out the possibility of a smaller staff, but I wouldn't place my bets on that when we don't know how small / big the FP staff is for the first 5 characters.

So, now for the real important questions.

When do we think is the general Direct going to happen, and when will they announce FP6? Before, at, or after E3?
I'm agreeing with most here that we'll likely see Fighter 6 at E3 - and that it might be the only big show announcement for 2020. I could perhaps see ChinaJoy for Fighter 7 (China's E3, July 31st - August 3rd) since Smash isn't officially released there (and I agree with Zhugeex when he guessed that it would see its official release there late 2020 / early 2021) but I'm classifying that as a total, unlikely wildcard.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Got any facts you wanna lay on me or are you just being contrary for personal amusement?
Do YOU have any proof of your claim? I can just point to Sakurai's undeniable preference for fire emblem to explain why xenoblade would never be picked over it.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Do YOU have any proof of your claim? I can just point to Sakurai's undeniable preference for fire emblem to explain why xenoblade would never be picked over it.
I'm a Fire Emblem fan and even I am wondering what your point is, my guy

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
With how they said that the next character will take some time to reveal I'm thinking the first reveal will be at E3. With that in mind I'm thinking it'll be a big reveal to sell the second pass, much like Joker was.

So what I'm saying is that "here's how Sora can still win."

Droodle

Smash Lord
I said this before, but I would say any "promotion" from things like ATs/Spirits/Costumes incredibly unlikely at this point. If you're in the base game, you're out. So RIP to all those fans who wanted promotions.

Also, I'm curious to see if y'all think Cacomallow is still alive? To me, Byleth as FP 5 sealed the deal and killed any chance of Cacomallow being remotely true. The further along we go, the less likely those costumes get.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ah so it's wrath huh? In any case, you are correct that I have no proof, as I was only musing. However, the burden of proof is in your court. Just saying "no you're wrong. lol" without any proof (the biases of a man you've never met is not proof) isn't going to do anything more than tick me off.

EDIT: Though if you want to know the reasoning for my musings it's that both Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were decently popular games that came out after the consideration for the base roster but evidently before the consideration for DLC. In order to keep things balanced, once could assume they looked at the two and went with Byleth.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
me blasting Apex of the World while the salt mines are in work

images.gif

hoes stay mad

If it wasn't Porky, I was all-in Byleth. My stupid theory was wrong, but whatever. Looks like I got another guaranteed main.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So guys what are your Hope's for the six character's coming what do you guys want them to be slash hope they'll be here are mine View attachment 258052View attachment 258053View attachment 258054View attachment 258055View attachment 258056
Honorable mention to Sora Dante and someone from the Shin Megami Tensei series
In my Perfect World:
Bonk
Crono (Trigger)
Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
Kunio (River City)
Fawful (Mario and Luigi)
Vaati (Zelda)

I will get none of these.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I said this before, but I would say any "promotion" from things like ATs/Spirits/Costumes incredibly unlikely at this point. If you're in the base game, you're out. So RIP to all those fans who wanted promotions.

Also, I'm curious to see if y'all think Cacomallow is still alive? To me, Byleth as FP 5 sealed the deal and killed any chance of Cacomallow being remotely true. The further along we go, the less likely those costumes get.
I was in the Cacomallow is dead for a while because Nintendo did nothing and no one from Sabi to Verge was willing to back them. From what I seen though, the Geno thread still believes in it. Not sure about anyone else here though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Cacomellow was dead to me since people showed you can indeed make mods of mii costumes and give them jiggle physics. Anyone who still believes it after that and the fact the debug mode timer isn't even accurate is going to disappoint themselves

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Oh boy. I remember that song and dance. Wasn't it decided she probably didn't know anything? I mean, she immediately turned around to promote the skeleton after that.
I think the Steve fan base and anti-Banjo base really underplayed the importance of that moment and it turned somehow into an odd logic that it didn’t matter, but there was no indication she did not know anything.

However, as the 2nd Fighters Pass was decided several months later, I think it has little relevance going forward.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Remember how the Astral Chain spirits somehow meant a deconfirm for Three Houses? I call that **** karma.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I understand wanting certain characters but a lot of these comparisons seem really reaching especially since the way series manage characters is quite different from one another. Rosalina sucks as an example as the closest character to her in prominence within Zelda would be most likely Impa.
How is she like Impa? Impa reoccurs a lot, sometimes as an old lady, while Rosalina is only in three mainline games, two of them being secrets, and only one of them being playable. SMG1 was her only major role aside from her secret playable appearance in 3D World. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Toad/the colored Toads are normally the only reoccurring characters aside from Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings sometimes appearing in the 2D platformers. The rest of her appearances are the sports, kart and party games; which, while yes are very important for the Mario franchise, they may as well count other spinoffs if they count those, especially Zelda with it being another of their top franchises. Heck, if Hyrule Warriors doesn’t count, I don’t see anyone going against the idea of Impa using a huge sword in Smash.

Maybe a better comparison would’ve been Daisy? She’s only in one mainline game.

I’m not complaining about Sakurai not adding more Zelda characters, I’m just tired of people trying to downplay them with these arguments that can be used for other series’ characters in similar situations, and honestly I’m tired of any argument for why a videogame character likely can’t be in a videogame crossover as if we’re all in Sakurai’s mind. I don’t think the characters are likely, either, but it’s like everyone just downplays them and tries to hammer in a potential “why” whenever they’re mentioned, a “why” that fits others already in Smash.

I.D.

Smash Lord
EDIT: Though if you want to know the reasoning for my musings it's that both Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were decently popular games that came out after the consideration for the base roster but evidently before the consideration for DLC. In order to keep things balanced, once could assume they looked at the two and went with Byleth.
Three Houses came out after the DLC was already decided.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.
Koei-Tecmo would presumably have had to sign a contract pertaining specifically to the distribution of the fighter pass + any royalties/fees, and in no way are Nintendo going to screw over something like that because some nobodies decided to play "insider man" and claim Hayabusa is the final character.

Also highly unlikely FP3 is decided at this rate when the team has clearly downsized further (what with 6 characters having a two year target rather than one), and when FP2 wasn't even a thing that was locked down until summer.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Given how the Byleth presentation was made back in November, this goes to show how Sakurai develops the fighters and the content in advance quite a lot, and since the cacomallow "leak" appeared in November I think it is still in the running for now....at least until the next fighter is revealed (probably at E3 which is ughhhhh)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Is it wrong that I laughed when Byleth was confirmed, considering how vocal some people were against "yet another Fire Emblem anime swordsman"?

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I mean, yeah, but Robin only had male and other characters with alts didn't get their alts as amiibo (Inkling, for example).
The only characters that got P2 amiibo were the last round of DLC ones (Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta), so I'm just hoping Byleth gets one since, unlike fCorrin, there isn't even another figure of fByleth being made.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Fire Emblem for Switch were announced the same month (January 2017), its possible both Byleth & Rex/Pyra were floating around at the same time for Sakurai to consider.
Inkling not getting a male amiibo makes sense because there's already Splatoon series male amiibos. And since female Byleth is getting so much spotlight, I'd say it's pretty likely she'll get an amiibo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was there, so I know it wasn't like that.
We'll see what page 1939 tells us (I don't know if that's the right page but damn we moved like 100+ pages in a span of 24 hours)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Byleth opened the door to pretty much everyone, even those who already have roles in Smash.

For now, I still think characters have a chance to be promoted. Nothing in this pass would've suggested otherwise since everything was finalized before Ultimate even launched. The second pass didn't exist yet, and Byleth would've been the last character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the Steve fan base and anti-Banjo base really underplayed the importance of that moment and it turned somehow into an odd logic that it didn’t matter, but there was no indication she did not know anything.

However, as the 2nd Fighters Pass was decided several months later, I think it has little relevance going forward.
So he's officially on the table regardless? Cool. His chances are still incalculable though. I just thought he had a reasonable shot.

Three Houses came out after the DLC was already decided.
True, but the public seemed to be pretty excited about it, and it sounded like Sakurai had a pretty finished copy of the game during his run through so I think my logic still stands. And even if it doesn't it's not like that changes anything.

I was there, so I know it wasn't like that.
So was I. A lot of the posts were about how Fire Emblem: Three Houses was probably next.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The biggest disappointment is this means no House Leader amiibo.

At least Edelgard's getting a figma though. :p

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wonder how many epic downvotes reddit has on Byleth. Or maybe they have a change of heart, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom