• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
BYLETH'S SMASH BROS TRAILER IN A NUTSHELL:

Sothis:

kkz3.png

Byleth and his/her fandom:

kkz4.png

Do you prefer Kazuma (from Konosuba) to be in Smash Bros Ultimate?

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Welp, looks like I have a date with Byleth this weekend~ I'll be preparing something very nice for all the knuckleheads with their heads hung low. Hey, we all need a little positivity, right? Can't share that info yet though. You will all have to wait and see...

Try finding actual hobbies instead of ****ting over what other people like, 'cause then announcements like today happen and you're the fools at the end.
Pretty much this. It was a nice bit of relief of stress and I've been a bit reassured about my college situation. For people like myself this is what was needed. Thank Sakurai, his team and all for indirectly giving me a smile on my face when I needed it.

To quote a certain character that the seiyuu of male Byleth also voices "This is exhilarating."

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Went to the Geno thread and saw they were crying about it being the 8th Fire Emblem character, rather then it being the 11th Mario character.

Yeah that was expected.
I mean, that thread would have been upset with anything other than Geno. The Fire Emblem stuff just adds salt on top of it, and I love me some schadenfreude tbh
Most of the thread was fine, and people in here act the same way, but oh no, people have to take pot-shots at the Geno thread every chance they get.

Worded it incorrectly.

Fire Emblem was the only major game within the past year to not get a Spirit event.

This emboldens my theory that Spirits may very well deconfirm fighters.
Basegame spirits were chosen way before Season 2, I think it’s safe to say they don’t disconfirm unless they’re post-release Spirits (at least if they came after E3 last year).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I would at least say this. Since this presentation, where Sakurai said that all the Fighter Pass 2 characters are locked in, was recorded in November, it's probably very likely that the new spirit events like the Resident Evil and Astral Chain events do indeed serve as a deconfirmation. Not all spirits deconfirm, but those ones probably do.
And that raises another question. When did work on the Spirit Boards begin?

I don't want to give anyone who wants a Gen 8, Resident Evil, or even Astral Chain character false hope, but if they started making these boards before the second pass was finalized, then it's possible they just went ahead and included the Spirits anyway even though a character was being made, kinda like how Mewtwo still had a trophy in Smash 4 even though they had started planning him before either versions of the game launched.

The comparison isn't perfect, especially since this is DLC and not base game, but still. Something to chew on.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
To be honest, even if I didn't really want Byleth, I'm not gonna complain. Why? Because Banjo-Kazooie are in, and thanks to their inclusion I have not only a new main, but played a series that's now one of my favorites ever.

Just because the final pick wasn't for me (Byleth still looks cool though), I won't let that affect my enjoyment of the rest of the pass.

Now here'e hoping for Lloyd in Fighter's Pass 2!

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
But after the initial disappointment there is still a lot to be excited about with a Cuphead Mii Costume that feels like basically playing the character and the confirmation of not one, not five, but six brand new characters!
You say excitement. Other than more indie stuff, I much rather have more Fire Emblem stuff than Cuphead.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It has ass in it twice.

Why
I think it could've been because she thought FP5 was going to be Dante and not a female. Could've also been wanting to get away from the site or something. I'm not too sure myself.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean Zelda is a flagship title, even bigger than FE, but it’s not getting good representation compared to FE.

Let’s be real here, Byleth got in because Sakurai is a huge fan of the series not because it’s “flagship” level or anything like that lol.
Like I keep saying, the most recent, non-remake Zelda game already has representation through simply changing Link's design to match.
Due to the cast being the same from game to game, all they really need to do is change designs and the newest games are represented just fine.
By contrast, you can't just change Marth, Ike, Robin, or Corrin's design to represent the new game..and lets be honest, if Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's main draw wasn't 'Everyone Is Here', we would have likely seen Roy and Lucina cut..and Chrom would likely have not been added..its also possible Ike would have gotten the axe..Everyone Is Here is the only reason for the high amount of Fire Emblem characters (along with cloning off of Marth/Roy).
I really do not think it is anything to do with Sakurai being 'biased'..oh, and Fire Emblem IS one of Nintendo's biggest selling series now, sure, not Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, or Kirby levels, but it is one of the best and likely the 2nd best selling 2nd Party Nintendo series behind Kirby.
I feel bad for Xenoblade fans cause there really was no reason to Exclude Rex for this.
To be fair, its possible Sakurai knew about Byleth before Rex..along with Fire Emblem: Three Houses being much more likely to sell well over Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which wasn't as proven as a series yet (though I'm glad to say its sold pretty well, since it IS one of my favorite Switch games).
Was expecting Byleth after first fighter pass ended, so pleasant surprise. Also love how they incorporated the weapons triangle plus the bow into the moveset. I'm also excited for more Fire Emblem music, though it would have been nice to have a few more songs not from 3H.
Same here. Now between Byleth, Robin, and Corrin, we have every weapon type in Fire Emblem incorporated..except for Knives, Staff, and the new Brawl weapons.
Byleth gives us the already represented Sword along with Axe, Lance, and Bow.
Robin gives us..again Sword..along with Magic Tomes (though he doesn't have Light Magic)
Corrin gives us..surprise..Sword..but also Stones though transforming into a Dragon (even if there are also Animal Transformation Characters in the series..this mostly represents the overall theme).

Do you prefer Kazuma (from Konosuba) to be in Smash Bros Ultimate?
But his stats are TERRIBLE! He only has a good Luck stat and genre savvyness!

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Real talk, here:

I'm sorry if you're upset. I'm sorry if you're sad. But do remember, it is just a video game.

That said, I'm over the moon about this. More first parties are 100% what I wanted the pass to end on. I have hope for a lot of my other most wanted characters now. This year and next year are gonna rock.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Well, I haven't played Smash Ultimate in a long while, but I still attended the reveal. It's not exactly a full female character, it's more like a... male character with a female alt, but I'm not upset or anything. I lost all expectations already but female Byleth looks okay. Never played Fire Emblem before but after hearing some of what Fire Emblem: Three Houses is about from Sakurai, I like the premise and wouldn't mind playing the game. And I actually kinda feel like playing Smash again now too.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think nair will be a decent landing tool. It's big. But, yeah, I don't think they'll be competitively great, since they'll probably lose really badly to projectile characters.
Nair can’t be that big if Sakurai struggled to land it against the stationary AI during the presentation...
But yeah, we’ll have to wait and see.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm probably going to avoid the internet a bit today because people are going to be really stupid about this. Some takes though

1. I'm good with this pick. I don't love it. I wanted Edelgard a lot more. That being said, 3 Houses deserved a rep and I get the reasoning Sakurai gave for it. The character looks very fun and if I hear the stupid "Generic Anime Swordsman" **** about him/her I'll punch someone, because that's just being ignorant and dumb

2. First parties are alive again! This is a nice feeling, mainly because it feels like we talked over all the possible 3rd party reps already to the point where we were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with who was coming up as the favorites for DLC 5. Freshens things up a little

3. The indies are soooooo dead. Seems pretty clear that they'll do anything but put them in the game with the full Mii Costumes happening now. With that being said, how awesome is the Cuphead costume? Can't wait to buy that. Love it so much. But yeah, they've taken almost all the good picks and made them non fighters, so I'm having a hard time seeing one break through now. Hollow Knight and Reimu are too region specific and otherwise IDK who else there is to pick.

4. Finally, this is not Corrin 2.0. Corrin was a boring character from a game nobody liked and wasn't even out yet outside of Japan. Byleth's game won a fan vote for people's choice at the game awards, is the best selling game of the series, and was a major critical success everywhere. It's not close to the same. Feel free to be mad or disappointed if you want, but don't say stuff that's blatantly wrong and dumb because of it. There was actually a reason to go with a 3 Houses rep and even if you dont like it, pretending that there wasn't or posting "LOL WE GOT MARTH AGAIN" flies in the face of literally everything we just. Be mad/disappointed/whatever, not stupid. They don't have to go together

D

Deleted member

As somebody who pretty much accepted this happening recently and is far less angry than others, I'm gonna say it. Here we go.

Accusing people who are rightfully dissapointed as "salty" and "toxic" doesn't make you seem like a cool person.
Giving Sakurai and the people are looking forward to Byleth **** for it is indeed toxic. And getting overly angry and whining like a child who didn't get what they wanted for christmas is indeed salty.

If people just simply say that Byleth isn't their cup of tea? That's fair. People don't have to like every character on the roster but if they are unable to accept decisions that they didn't prefer to the point of acting like what I described above, then they're going to be called out for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well, if today taught me anything, I would say that I was shown once again to ignore the popular opinion of the Smash fanbase and just keep supporting the characters that you want.

Spirit Board aside, I'm doubling down on supporting a Gen 8 Pokemon. The no first-party, only new franchises fan rule was starting to get to me, but Sakurai squashed it just in time. I'll continue rooting for one, even if I'm the only one who is.
Well... the starters base forms are the ones deconfirmed due to being spirits.

There's nothing saying Rillaboom can't be in.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Man, I love Sakurai. His sense of humour is really something, and all of those explanations. xD What a great presentation!

I haven't played Three Houses, but the Byleths look really cool; excited to try them out. Very nice alts, as well. Definitely not the character I wanted, but I didn't have much hope for getting one of those anyway, so I'm actually left feeling excited about Byleth's addition.

Hugs to everyone who didn't get their favourites, but hey, six more characters on the way (dang we're getting a ton of characters)! Chin up, everyone! <3

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, I haven't played Smash Ultimate in a long while, but I still attended the reveal. It's not exactly a full female character, it's more like a... male character with a female alt, but I'm not upset or anything. I lost all expectations already but female Byleth looks okay. Never played Fire Emblem before but after hearing some of what Fire Emblem: Three Houses is about from Sakurai, I like the premise and wouldn't mind playing the game. And I actually kinda feel like playing Smash again now too.
At least in social media, it seems like female Byleth is the one more often used.

I have no idea what the actual numbers are, though. Having both genders available for your player character is fairly common now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I don't want to give anyone who wants a Gen 8, Resident Evil, or even Astral Chain character false hope, but if they started making these boards before the second pass was finalized, then it's possible they just went ahead and included the Spirits anyway even though a character was being made, kinda like how Mewtwo still had a trophy in Smash 4 even though they had started planning him before either versions of the game launched.

The comparison isn't perfect, especially since this is DLC and not base game, but still. Something to chew on.
There are currently no Fire Emblem: Three Houses spirits in the game so I don't know what you're getting at.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly happy with another Fire Emblem character to be honest, no matter what was said. The precedent of 4 guest characters previously creates a certain expectation.

However, I can't be mad if they're planning to release 6 more characters throughout 2 years. That's pretty rad.
That means we'll get 3 fighters per year

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well... the starters base forms are the ones deconfirmed due to being spirits.

There's nothing saying Rillaboom can't be in.
But, it's something I highly doubt because if we were getting a Sword & Shield Pokemon then those Spirits would have instead been released with them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know this joke is inappropriate, but...

The Pokemon fanbase and Smash fanbase are currently having a contest to see who can complain more about their game's DLC.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Byleth, SmashDirect, Fire Emblem, Sakurai and Tree Houses are all trending on twitter right now.
Gee, i wonder why.:4pacman:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Worded it incorrectly.

Fire Emblem was the only major game within the past year to not get a Spirit event.

This emboldens my theory that Spirits may very well deconfirm fighters.
Well, continue to hold on to your assumption then.

D

Deleted member

That's a good point. And honestly speaking with how much Byleth shot down assumptions like Fighter Pass 1 being all 3rd party we really won't know what happens until it happens.

I will also say that my original statement mainly applies to characters that have a spirit as part of their event. Some notable Gen 8 Pokemon in speculation like Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Toxtricity didn't have spirits in the Sword and Shield event. So no matter what they're probably still viable options.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Like I keep saying, the most recent, non-remake Zelda game already has representation through simply changing Link's design to match.
Due to the cast being the same from game to game, all they really need to do is change designs and the newest games are represented just fine.
By contrast, you can't just change Marth, Ike, Robin, or Corrin's design to represent the new game..and lets be honest, if Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's main draw wasn't 'Everyone Is Here', we would have likely seen Roy and Lucina cut..and Chrom would likely have not been added..its also possible Ike would have gotten the axe..Everyone Is Here is the only reason for the high amount of Fire Emblem characters (along with cloning off of Marth/Roy).
I really do not think it is anything to do with Sakurai being 'biased'..oh, and Fire Emblem IS one of Nintendo's biggest selling series now, sure, not Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, or Kirby levels, but it is one of the best and likely the 2nd best selling 2nd Party Nintendo series behind Kirby.

To be fair, its possible Sakurai knew about Byleth before Rex..along with Fire Emblem: Three Houses being much more likely to sell well over Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which wasn't as proven as a series yet (though I'm glad to say its sold pretty well, since it IS one of my favorite Switch games).

Same here. Now between Byleth, Robin, and Corrin, we have every weapon type in Fire Emblem incorporated..except for Knives, Staff, and the new Brawl weapons.
Byleth gives us the already represented Sword along with Axe, Lance, and Bow.
Robin gives us..again Sword..along with Magic Tomes (though he doesn't have Light Magic)
Corrin gives us..surprise..Sword..but also Stones though transforming into a Dragon (even if there are also Animal Transformation Characters in the series..this mostly represents the overall theme).

But his stats are TERRIBLE! He only has a good Luck stat and genre savvyness!
There are other Zelda characters besides Link, Zelda and Ganon that could’ve been used, but that was just an example.

Too many FE characters.

Other series exist too.

It’s obvious FE has special treatment.

You really don’t think there aren’t too many FE characters?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As somebody who pretty much accepted this happening recently and is far less angry than others, I'm gonna say it. Here we go.

Accusing people who are rightfully dissapointed as "salty" and "toxic" doesn't make you seem like a cool person.
True. But being overtly hostile towards people who are just enjoying the game and the character they want. Know what I'm saying? It goes both ways.

D

Deleted member

Would have preferred Dimitri, but can't say I'm disappointed. Love the focus on the weapons from the House Leaders and the stage is fantastic and full of cameos.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
But, it's something I highly doubt because if we were getting a Sword & Shield Pokemon then those Spirits would have instead been released with them.
Counterpoint:
Pokemon is a big franchise with tons of characters, they could dump anyone in a spirit board and it'll work.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Try finding actual hobbies instead of ****ting over what other people like, 'cause then announcements like today happen and you're the fools at the end.
I dislike every single thing about Banjo but shut my (metaphorical) mouth because what the heck? It's just a game, it's making people happy.

I hate how every character I actually really want is met with loads of salt. Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Shulk, Roy, Corrin, Chrom, and now Byleth all got so much crap... Just let me enjoy the characters in peace.

That being said, Byleth's trailer might be one of my favorites. It looks almost like a parody of Three Houses and I love it. Sothis with the letter, Byleth coming back all beat up, Solon's awestruck face when Byleth flies away... I'm glad they used the coolest moment in the game for the reveal.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they wanted to commemorate the release of SwSh, then it makes sense why they'd make a few Spirits for the occasion rather than hold them off for summer 2020 at the absolute earliest.

They can easily add DLC Spirits to a Spirit Board later like they did with Tockles. Shouldn't be that hard to work around I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom