• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I do question how Byleth will feel when playing as them. They have an aerial spacing game that’s vaguely similar to that of the Belmonts (long noodly fair and bair, nair with a wimpy hitbox) but without downward angled fair and bair or projectiles designed to cover his landings. Like, you have air sideB or something, but yeah.
Yeah. Especially since he's going to be slower than the Belmonts and not have a reliable projectile game. I bet his Side Special is going to be crucial.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Went to the Geno thread and saw they were crying about it being the 8th Fire Emblem character, rather then it being the 11th Mario character.

Yeah that was expected.
I mean, that thread would have been upset with anything other than Geno. The Fire Emblem stuff just adds salt on top of it, and I love me some schadenfreude tbh

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
English version:
Screenshot_20200116-091558_YouTube.jpg

Japanese version:
Screenshot_20200116-091517_YouTube.jpg

Imma need an explanation there cuz.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I like when Fire Emblem bros try to pass their series off as a Flagship Top Tier franchise when people criticise the lack of Zelda reps. It is certainly a successful franchise, but Three Houses is not even a top ten selling game on the Switch. Breath of the Wild sold five times as many copies as Three Houses.

I’d rank Fire Emblem as a second tier Nintendo series along side Donkey Kong and Kirby.

So the over represented argument, as redundant and simple as it is, is a valid complaint in my books. That being said, it does represent a good game, and seems like a somewhat interesting moveset even if Edelgard would have been far more interesting.

But after the initial disappointment there is still a lot to be excited about with a Cuphead Mii Costume that feels like basically playing the character and the confirmation of not one, not five, but six brand new characters!

Just got to be patient, but there is still so much more to look forward to. At least we got this out of the way early on. It was very smart of Nintendo to announce in advance that more characters are on the way knowing full well how unpopular this choice would be.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Was expecting Byleth after first fighter pass ended, so pleasant surprise. Also love how they incorporated the weapons triangle plus the bow into the moveset. Was a good solution to include all the weapons instead of picking one of the three main students and having fans of the others feeling shafted. I'm also excited for more Fire Emblem music, though it would have been nice to have a few more songs not from 3H.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Welp, looks like I have a date with Byleth this weekend~ I'll be preparing something very nice for all the knuckleheads with their heads hung low. Hey, we all need a little positivity, right? Can't share that info yet though. You will all have to wait and see...

But for those of you whose blood turns into liquid salt at the mere mention of FE, I only have this to say...
Smug_Nero.jpeg

Try finding actual hobbies instead of ****ting over what other people like, 'cause then announcements like today happen and you're the fools at the end.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm disappointed. What the **** was Sakurai thinking.

... There should have been a Mugman costume too! We could have some cool Doubles teams! ARGH

I do question how Byleth will feel when playing as them. They have an aerial spacing game that’s vaguely similar to that of the Belmonts (long noodly fair and bair, nair with a wimpy hitbox) but without downward angled fair and bair or projectiles designed to cover his landings. Like, you have air sideB or something, but yeah.
I think nair will be a decent landing tool. It's big. But, yeah, I don't think they'll be competitively great, since they'll probably lose really badly to projectile characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, if today taught me anything, I would say that I was shown once again to ignore the popular opinion of the Smash fanbase and just keep supporting the characters that you want.

Spirit Board aside, I'm doubling down on supporting a Gen 8 Pokemon. The no first-party, only new franchises fan rule was starting to get to me, but Sakurai squashed it just in time. I'll continue rooting for one, even if I'm the only one who is.

D

Deleted member

edit: never mind I didn’t know assassins creed got a mii costume

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, that thread would have been upset with anything other than Geno. The Fire Emblem stuff just adds salt on top of it, and I love me some schadenfreude tbh
Not many people in there realistically expected that Geno would be the fifth Fighters Pass character; don't generalize based on the reactions of one or two people.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
As somebody who pretty much accepted this happening recently and is far less angry than others, I'm gonna say it. Here we go.

Accusing people who are rightfully dissapointed as "salty" and "toxic" doesn't make you seem like a cool person.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm pretty happy with Byleth, he looks fun enough to play but honestly for me the highlight of the presentation is the Mii costumes. Mugman and Cuphead music, Assassin's creed and Raving rabbids are 3 franchise that I like and didn't expect to hit Smash, so a very good surprise to me.

Also I'm happy that now first party are not dead and speculation might come back on them a little bit.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm disappointed. What the **** was Sakurai thinking.

... There should have been a Mugman costume too! We could have some cool Doubles teams! ARGH
Seriously! I was waiting for a Team Rocket type reveal where there would be two costumes. Weeeeell Cuphead and his pal Mugman...
and his pal Mugman,
and his pal Mugman…

Kronch

Smash Cadet
PSA: GameXPlain has had far more accurate and clear information than every leaker thus far

-Knew the Grinch Leak was false
-Got things correct when there were actual leaks
-Predominantly predicted a FE3H rep just yesterday

So keep that in mind when "leakers" like Sabi and Verge act pompously to keep their Twitter followers onboard...

D

Deleted member

Anyways, here's my live reaction to the reveal. Again, sorry for the phone quality and dry voice

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder were Lesley is she got her female technically I figured she'd be celebrating
I'm pretty sure she mentioned having a prior engagement.

Was expecting Byleth after first fighter pass ended, so pleasant surprise. Also love how they incorporated the weapons triangle plus the bow into the moveset. Was a good solution to include all the weapons instead of picking one of the three main students and having fans of the others feeling shafted. I'm also excited for more Fire Emblem music, though it would have been nice to have a few more songs not from 3H.
Sorting all that music's gonna be a pain though. Coulda been worse though. Coulda been Geno giving me 187+ songs for me to sift through on a single stage, and then a bunch of tracks on a ton of other stages.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, not my cup of tea, but glad to finally see the full fighter's pass. Best announcement was surely 6 fighters in the next Fighter's Pass. I was definitely thinking we'd only get 2-3, optimistically 5. Cuphead was a second highlight--I hope they do more Mii Fighter's like Sans and Cuphead, it's a good trend. And my favorite part of the presentation was Sakurai SDing all the Fighter's Pass characters. Sakurai is banned.

And the best part is I can finally finish my PC wallpaper--well, until the next Fighter's Pass starts that is. :awesome: Here it is, though the mural's still up to Hero/Banjo & Kazooie, as I haven't found a good standalone (not wraparound) mural with Terry and it'll be a while before Byleth. But when Byleth is on the mural, I'll create a wallpaper with them in it using the wraparound mural.

EDIT: Credit for the mural renders goes to TylerZM

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
My biggest issue with this character is now I am going to be thinking about it until the 28th. I am really looking forward to playing them. Edge of Dawn is in Smash, and all is right with the world.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh and since there was no Namco rep in the fighters pass I'm just gonna go ahead and say Heihachi is the most likely Namco character for DLC right now. The appearance of Heihachi in the Namco roulette didn't mean there was another Namco character planned as DLC. The team just wanted to represent him in some form since he wasn't chosen for the first fighters pass. :p

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh man, what a ride

I'm just gonna dump all my thoughts in whatever order I remember

First off. I'm super happy. I wanted Byleth, and he looks really cool. Again, proof that you don't need gimmicks to have an original moveset that fits your game. Didn't expect him for the FP though, I thought post-Pass for sure.

There's gonna be so much salt though. I do agree that it's pretty much undeniable at this point that Fire Emblem gets special treatment. Which, yeah, sucks if you're not into the series. And as a fan of other "late" characters like Spring Man, Rex, and Officer Howard, it smarts a bit to see them shunned and Fire Emblem get the push yet again.

The secrecy. I think it's pretty interesting how few people in Nintendo knew about this. Why maintain all this secrecy for Byleth and not for the others? Were they given special treatment for being first party? If Sakurai played an early version, then was Tecmo Koei involved? Did the other characters leak because of the third parties' involvement?

**** yeah, first party characters are back on the table! You all said I was insane, and maybe I am, but you forgot one detail: Sakurai's even madder.

Liked the joke about swordfighters. Made me chuckle.

So Byleth is basically a huge shut up to every demand for different weapons from FE characters. This will probably btfo most characters based on that, like Hector. Lyn will live, as always.

C'mom, Sakurai, we don't need you explaining what Fire Emblem is, there's seven ****ing characters from the series already.

Sakurai counting in binary, the man is such a dork, I love him. Also, to all those who were speculating about that pose, would anyone have guessed it was Sakurai counting all 17 Fire Emblem games in binary?

Mii Costumes: why the hell is Altair over Ezio? AND why is he just credited as being from "ALTAIR"? I don't know if this means we're getting Ezio or we're super not getting him.

Cuphead yeahhhh. I'll buy that ****. I think this basically makes him one of the indie frontrunners. Wondering if he'll be able to eclipse Byleth without Sans' meme power. (Also Sakurai looks super unfamiliar with him)

I wonder if Cuphead could be taken as an indication that Mii Costumes aren't planned that much in advance? We didn't get any of these "premium" costumes until Sans, so I could see Cuphead being included after Sans sold a lot more than expected.

Fighter Pass Vol. 2 babyyy, taking a hint from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. If it's anything like the movies that means most people will whine about 2 not being as fresh as the first one, but I'll think it's even better. Which, in Smash language, hopefully means first parties?

Seriously though, six fighters? Damn. I already don't envy 11, but we're in for a ride. It ends Dec 2021, right? That's not that long a timespan. Was it stated whether we're getting stages?

Characters were decided already. The livestream was recorder around November, so that's our latest cutoff date. Funny enough, about a year from the other FP. (Not that Byleth helps matters)

I think those were all my thoughts. Today's going to be a weird day. Please, both sides, be civil.

Eh who am I kidding y'all not gonna listen

Also I wonder if Lesley's sad or happy about Byleth

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Anyone notice the lack of a Rayman mii outfit despite having Rabbids and Altair’s? Not saying it proves his inclusion but something to note at least

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well, if today taught me anything, I would say that I was shown once again to ignore the popular opinion of the Smash fanbase and just keep supporting the characters that you want.

Spirit Board aside, I'm doubling down on supporting a Gen 8 Pokemon. The no first-party, only new franchises fan rule was starting to get to me, but Sakurai squashed it just in time. I'll continue rooting for one, even if I'm the only one who is.
Give me Cinderace and I will finally have a Pokemon rep I can vibe with. I need my rock-pelting bunny, with Libero as a gimmick. Perfect subversion for their Fire-Type status.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
As somebody who pretty much accepted this happening recently and is far less angry than others, I'm gonna say it. Here we go.

Accusing people who are rightfully dissapointed as "salty" and "toxic" doesn't make you seem like a cool person.
As the biggest Byleth supporter in this thread, I honestly agree with this.

It's great if you're excited about a character, and it's okay to feel disappointed with a character...

Where it gets too much is when you begin bludgeoning people in the other camp that their opinion is wrong through dumb **** like throwing labels around. I've seen a good number of people on both sides doing that.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

Exactly.

I haven’t played any of the FE games, but it’s plain to see that there are way too many of them compared to other series that aren’t Mario.

It’s getting ridiculous lol.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
How was it a missing Spirit Board? It's literally apart of the 5. And 3H stuff wasn't a thing until after the Spirits were decided base game.
Worded it incorrectly.

Fire Emblem was the only major game within the past year to not get a Spirit event.

This emboldens my theory that Spirits may very well deconfirm fighters.

Well Byleth looks really fun to play, seems like an interesting character concept with the various weapons and all. Definitely not a typical 'swordsman'.

But holy hell, i'm so glad we're getting a second pass! I was kind of worried we would only get 1 or 2 more figthers.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just a reminder that just because this is another Fire Emblem character, everyone be nice. We have six more characters now ffs, let people who like Three Houses enjoy their moment.

Namely me.

On another note, everyone go play Three Houses it's ****in' great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom