• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Wouldn't The Prince of All Cosmos count? Pac Man Taunt aside, People often have said in the past that he should be a Nintendo character, and he has sorta been brought back by Nintendo with Katamari Damacy Reroll, which isn't on other consoles (it's on PC as well but the marketing and gimmick additions show a clear focus on the Switch version). Katamari could be finding a new home on Nintendo systems.

Also I'm going to challenge the Pixel Theory = Doom Slayer's Armor theory. Any green you see on the image of Sakurai (most of which is on him and not his outline) is the result of lighting and image compression. Blue and yellowish-green blotches always come from compression. The poorly-cropped brown still stands, though.

Example images, with saturated versions to make it easier to see:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Tried to get out, got pulled back in. Basically during the whole Sabi thing back in November A LOT of people messaged me with stories of their own and, uh... I now have four insider contacts. The irony is enough to fill a stadium.
"You dip so much as a pinky back into this pond, you may well find something reaches out, and drags you back into its depths."
The rules of the insiders game?

Honestly sounds like being an insider of stuff changes your views on the industry but it sounds like you get to hear more of its inner workings.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont want the character to leak and it really looks like it wont unless ninte do screws something up. I like us all having our own guesses and expectations. The surprise is going to be amazing.

Speakong of leakers, ots interesting the verg has basically vanished from the face of the earth for over 2 weeks(at least accorsing to his gamefaqs profile) wonder what happened

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Guess I should get my prediction in. I'm honestly on the Three Houses train. Bringing multiple characters with tons of moveset potential, being in late development right as the Fighter's Pass was decided upon, and avoiding the spirit massacre are all pretty good signs. I think Byleth is the most likely of the four protagonists and Dimitri is the one I personally want the most, but I could realistically see any of the four joining.

I'm also gonna be bold and say that we will get a tease for the first post Fighter's Pass character and it'll be a big one: Geno. Smash always starts out big for its first announcement, and Geno fits with Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in that "somewhat obscure to a general audience, but gets Smash fans going like no tomorrow" category. His announcement will be alongside a general overview of how post-Fighter's Pass DLC will be treated.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Guess I should get my prediction in. I'm honestly on the Three Houses train. Bringing multiple characters with tons of moveset potential, being in late development right as the Fighter's Pass was decided upon, and avoiding the spirit massacre are all pretty good signs. I think Byleth is the most likely of the four protagonists and Dimitri is one I personally want the most, but I could realistically see any of the four join.

I'm also gonna be bold and say that we will get a tease for the first post Fighter's Pass character and it'll be a big one: Geno. Smash always starts out big for its first announcement, and Geno fits with Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo in that "somewhat obscure to a general audience, but gets Smash fans going like no tomorrow" category. His announce will be alongside a general overview of how post-Fighter's Pass DLC will be treated.
Eh, if Geno did get in; he would be an E3 reveal. Waluigi is more likely to start off a bonus pass.

That said, I doubt we are getting any promotions and that it'll continue being new 3rd party reps.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I want it to be a character that all the insiders and leakers deconfirmed so we never hear from them again. So I'm fine with anyone from this listView attachment 257743
I just want to reiterate one more time that Zippo specifically said he was not a leaker and was only speculating based on other info he had and to not take his word as gospel.

Yes, the Nintendo connection could be possible, but again he said not to take his words as anything more than conjecture. This was further exemplified by him reiterating that when Sabi decided to be an idiot and say "hey guys you can trust zippo because I'm still relevant, you love ol' #sabisqaud am I right?" therefore compromising the dude.

Now a lot of my wanted third parties do fit the Zippo criteria, like Phoenix, Layton, Travis, or even Arle, but again this isn't concrete evidence or a "leak" at all. Please tread carefully.

I'm still feeling Layton or Doomguy in my gut, though.
Once again, why does Sabi even bother saying anything anymore? Sabi should stop trying to attach other people in their mess, when they did most of this to themselves.
Yet, they wonder why we've become so wary of them now. :rolleyes:

It seems like even people on the inside are trying to stray away from them. If it really ends up being someone from this list tomorrow I hope both Sabi and Verge brace themselves and are prepared for the backlash that's going to come their way. Considering all of these deconfirms came from them. As far as the whole Zippo responses goes for a characters that was once close to Nintendo, there's a couple of characters that comes to mind from those statements, but again taking it as a grain of salt since it's just Zippo's own speculation from what it sounds like, and not really a leak.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Eh, if Geno did get in; he would be an E3 reveal. Waluigi is more likely to start off a bonus pass.

That said, I doubt we are getting any promotions and that it'll continue being new 3rd party reps.
I'd agree, but we don't even know if Ultimate will still be supported by E3 2020. As far as we know, we could have two or three bonus characters in the pipeline or we could have two more passes left to go. I could also see Waluigi filling the Geno role as a character deliberately meant to attract attention though.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Just dropped in to vote for Baboom

Oh and uh go Layton for tomorrow; go remind em of a puzzle

you're the only one I've got left

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Being confused as a 1st Party Nintendo character as in being a common game series on Nintendo systems? Or as in you would expect that character to be a Nintendo character due to their appearance rather than game series?
-If for having either alot of games or mostly games on Nintendo systems:
  1. Level 5 characters like Layton, Jibanyan and that Level-5 Soccer game would fit.
  2. Etrian Odyssey is a series that only has games on Nintendo systems.
  3. The World Ends with You is also mostly Nintendo-exclusive.
  4. Bravely Default and it's successors too.
  5. Phoenix Wright has a whack ton of history with Nintendo.
  6. Scribblenauts has a lot of history with Nintendo too.
  7. Tales of Symphonia has history with Nintendo, due to it and it's sequel being Nintendo exclusive at first.
-If it's for looking like a character whose design would make you think they were a Nintendo character....that's alot harder to pinpoint cause you practically have the whole Indie section of games and other early Platformer characters like Klonoa, Ristar, Nights, etc.
Story of Seasons actually fits this perfectly as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Don't think Geno needs to be an E3 reveal, he's huge within the Smash fanbase (who'll be watching all presentations anyways), but not so much outside of it. E3 is for the ones who'll make the biggest splash among the wider gaming audience.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I hear there's gonna be some kind of direct or something? how many hours left before it happen?
Also, I'm also guessing after they talk about the character, just at the end of the direct, they will end it with one last character reveal of one of the other characters that are not part of the pack.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I'd agree, but we don't even know if Ultimate will still be supported by E3 2020. As far as we know, we could have two or three bonus characters in the pipeline or we could have two more passes left to go. I could also see Waluigi filling the Geno role as a character deliberately meant to attract attention though.
Not being supported by E3 2020? That’s impossible. They already confirmed more DLC fighters in development and even if it’s only 2-3 more they only released Joker and Plant in between this time and E3, the post past characters are with out a doubt going to extend throughout this year

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If there's any merit to this rumor, the fact that the person stated the character isn't very popular is enough to make me think the the trend of ending with a "Meh" character will continue.

I know that's a subjective statement, but if this person is moderately invested in Smash speculation, I think they'd be able to tell you who's hot and who's not.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I hear there's gonna be some kind of direct or something? how many hours left before it happen?
Also, I'm also guessing after they talk about the character, just at the end of the direct, they will end it with one last character reveal of one of the other characters that are not part of the pack.
My boy, the 5th character is being announced tomorrow.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1217230048819908608

My friend shared this with me. It's a guy who supposedly recorded a portion of the presentation that Nintendo UK accidently leaked. I'm pretty sure it's fake. Why is it only a portion of it? How come only this guy noticed it? And FNAF? No way in heck. I say it's just a well edited video. Not gonna lie, it looked convincing at first.

EDIT: It's a fake. The guy admits to it.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
You could say the same thing about the missing Geno Mii costume and Chocobo hat. In fact they're an even more glaring omission considering that Hero arrived without them, being a Square Enix character and all.
Disagree. The enigma that is Square-Enix's stinginess towards lending out their content is a documented thing, so I don't think the non-return of a Final Fantasy hat is glaring at all when you realize Nintendo for whatever reason wasn't even able to license FF PNGs to use as Spirits. (The lack of Geno costume is weirder since he does have a Spirit + Smash Tag icon, yes, but I understandably won't be attempting to apply logic to Geno content or the lack thereof.)

The Dragon Quest costumes may imply DQ doesn't face these same issues (Sugiyama's anemic music excluded), but regardless of how they got there, they at least mean the Square costume slots were filled by something. Meanwhile, Namco -- who I doubt is actively placing barriers to trip up its own collaboration -- has nothing. No Heihachi, no Lloyd, no Gil, and no one to take their place.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I find it funny that people make such a big deal of Jon mentioning Arle, but not the fact that 3 out of 4 Gamxplainer (Jon included) predicts a 3H rep

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I have a prediction on who Fighter 5 will be, and I think it's a fairly realistic and reasonable prediction. The presentation tomorrow will reveal...
NOTHING!
THERE ARE NO DLC CHARACTERS!
THERE'S NEVER BEEN ANY DLC CHARACTERS!

SMASH DLC IS JUST A MYTH!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You know what I'm just gonna go ahead and predict Farmer.

I'm going to assume that the insiders actually have correct information, because I have nothing to go otherwise and who even knows at that point.

So far Farmer fits literally everything:

1. From a company not deconfirmed by any "insiders" so far.

2. A character series that is 3rd party but heavily associated with Nintendo to the point where I have had to explain to multiple people that Story of Seasons (and old school Harvest Moon) are in fact not Nintendo properties.

3. But also a series that would have survived even without Nintendo. As there have been many successful entries on other systems as well, just Nintendo is pretty clearly their closest relationship.

4. A series that Nintendo is currently invested in. There is a new Story of Seasons game in development, Story of Seasons: More Friends of Mineral Town remake is out (or on the way depending on region), Story of Seasons Doraemon is out on Switch, Rune Factory 4 is getting a remaster, Rune Factory 5 is in development. That's 5 games so far. That's quite a few. And this was all publicized in both a direct and also on Switch's release as games to look forward to.

5. Farmer also fits as a lesser known/less popular video game character. Long standing and reasonably popular series, but core gamers don't tend to interact with it as much, as evidenced by how slept on it is on this here forum.

Everything else I see just doesn't fit with leaks so far. Dante, Phoenix, Layton etc have all been deconfirmed in some way already. Which is not to say they are definitely out or anything, but again if we are operating under the assumption that the supposed leakers are correct, not much else is left as far as I can tell.

If we assume that the leakers are wrong, or partially wrong, then I have not idea where to even start at guessing. I don't think it will be Dante though. The hints for Dante seem to blatant for Nintendo to be okay with those Twitter posts.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834

My friend shared this with me. It's a guy who supposedly recorded a portion of the presentation that Nintendo UK accidently leaked. I'm pretty sure it's fake. Why is it only a portion of it? How come only this guy noticed it? And FNAF? No way in heck. I say it's just a well edited video. Not gonna lie, it looked convincing at first.
He says it's a joke in the responses.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

It is fake https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1217253857098653698?s=19

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How is it promotions if a game has been out for months?
A lot of people tie in the word "promotion" with any new character, but that's not always true.

If a game has been out for almost a year by the time we'd get a character from said game in Smash, then it's hard to say it's strictly promotional. For example, by the time we'd get a Three Houses rep in Smash, the window for promoting it would've ended a long time ago. If the sole purpose was promoting 3H and not adding a new character who seemed unique, we would've gotten Byleth or Edelgard or whoever they would've chosen on Hero, Banjo, or Terry's release date.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

me at 9am: i should watch the direct.
me in my head: i can't because five nights at freddy's will be in. the smash bros

Droodle

Smash Lord
Don't think Geno needs to be an E3 reveal, he's huge within the Smash fanbase (who'll be watching all presentations anyways), but not so much outside of it. E3 is for the ones who'll make the biggest splash among the wider gaming audience.
Yeah, but they'll likely pick a big character (likely 3rd party) to start off the 2nd fighters pass.

Joker wasn't highly requested but he was very positively received. Banjo was saved as an E3 reveal even though he was a request.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
My gut feeling is saying Professor Layton, KOS-MOS or Arle. I don't mind either way. One is hell yes and the other two are not bad.

I'm pretty interested in beyond more. I'm betting four more characters with the first having a 20% chance announced tomorrow. Even though 35 minutes last time didn't work, I think it won't go the same way twice.

I would smash my laptop in reaction. There are three anger character reactions from me. This is one of them.
This be fake. Also Twitch when Nintendo is only airing it on YouTube and no way in hell would they have jumpscares and all in their trailers. It pushes a part of the audience away.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If we're sharin' our gut feelings here, I gotta say, I got three top runners in my mind.

Phoenix Wright (pure bias i have no excuse other than i just want it to happen)
Dante (The DMC tweet)
Reimu (can't explain it i just feel like she could happen)

D

Deleted member

Leaks are getting pretty shilly these days it's hard to trust anything or everything in the matter.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, but they'll likely pick a big character (likely 3rd party) to start off the 2nd fighters pass.

Joker wasn't highly requested but he was very positively received. Banjo was saved as an E3 reveal even though he was a request.
I doubt they honestly care about who starts off the pass as long as the best is saved for E3. The only reason why I think Joker was revealed first is because they planned on revealing the first character at the VGAs. If it weren't for that, Joker, Terry, and probably Fighter #5 are interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom