• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
YO, what if Intelligent Systems took the turn-based strategy aspects of Fire Emblem but put them in a modern military setting but with less RPG stuff and more cartoony visuals and difficult resource management gameplay? And then the commanders of the armies would all have different powers?

Could you imagine a character like that in Smash Bros?
I don’t know, even if they made a series like that I feel like it would have never continued past the DS era. And if they made a 3DS game that’s similar at all, it would be more rpg like, have a pulp comic steampunk feel, and undersell despite being a great game because it will be unappreciated.

Calane

Smash Ace
Ah yes. Tetris, the second highest selling game of all time (and the highest selling game for decades before Minecraft just recently took the top spot), is not at all memorable or deeply embedded into popular culture as we know it. Puyo Puyo, a series that is just now seeing a reboot in Japan and only just now getting off the ground in the West is far more memorable and deserving of a spot in Smash. These are totally objective criteria of a series' popularity and not at all something I've made up on the spot to justify my own confirmation bias.

There are definitely arguments for Puyo Puyo over Tetris, but this ain't it chief.
...Huh? Puyo Puyo hasn't been rebooted (unless you're talking about "Puyo Puyo Fever", which is where the series first took on it's current art style, but that was all the way back in 2003).

If you're saying the series is just now picking up steam in Japan, then that's not true either. It's been consistently popular to the point that it apparently has more "brand awareness" in japan than any other Sega franchise. It's also the second best selling Sega franchise after Sonic:

Arle Time.png

You're probably right about it just now becoming more popular in the west, but as far as I know, it's always been popular in Japan. Am I just misunderstanding your post?

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Selling well does not mean your characters should get in first if they are not the main focus of a game, Tetris focuses on gameplay not characters, as simple as that.
See I can't agree with this, because neither Wii Fit Trainer nor Duck Hunt Dog were the main focus of their respective highly-successful games, but their individual gameplay mechanics were clearly able to be translated into Smash in a faithful and unique way.
That's not to say that I expect Tetris to ever get a character before Puyo, I agree that Puyo having established characters gives it a leg-up over Tetris in the fighter department, I'm just acknowledging how it doesn't sit well with me, and that I hope the developers can find a creative solution someday.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Even so, there's no fanfare to it, the games just kinda... happen. That being said, I'm sure Bamco will be pushing games as much as possible seeing as it's one of the most recognizable game franchises in the world. Forget me then, I'm big wrong
Honestly though, yeah, they are just kind of there... I guess they feel like they don’t need to advertise them much since they may be like, ”It’s PAC-MAN, it advertises itself!“, although, to be fair, they’re smaller releases in the first place, since I guess classic PAC-MAN gameplay doesn’t really translate well to giant AAA releases that warrant tons of advertising, aside from rerelease collections of classic games and stuff like that.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
...Huh? Puyo Puyo hasn't been rebooted (unless you're talking about "Puyo Puyo Fever", which is when the series first took on it's current art style, but that was all the way back in 2003).

If you're saying the series is just now picking up steam in Japan, then that's not true either. It's been consistently popular to the point that it apparently has more "brand awareness" in japan than any other SEGA franchise. It's also the second best selling SEGA franchise after Sonic:

View attachment 257721

You're probably right about it just now becoming more popular in the west, but as far as I know, it's always been popular in Japan. Am I just misunderstanding your post?
Here I thought I was a big Sega fan but i have no idea what some of those in house franchises are. lol

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
...Huh? Puyo Puyo hasn't been rebooted (unless you're talking about "Puyo Puyo Fever", which is where the series first took on it's current art style, but that was all the way back in 2003).

If you're saying the series is just now picking up steam in Japan, then that's not true either. It's been consistently popular to the point that it apparently has more "brand awareness" in japan than any other SEGA franchise. It's also the second best selling SEGA franchise after Sonic:

View attachment 257721

I guess revival or push would've been the better term. Puyo Puyo Tetris released in 2014, Chronicle in 2016, and Champions in 2018. Chronicle and Champions are the two major games they're pushing, especially with Puyo Puyo eSports.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
sick of y'alls theorizing
View attachment 257709
So a character that was never real. . .
Tidus, or what's his face? Wasn't the plot of Final Fantasy X about how he's not real?

I'm very late to the party but I'll probably have enough time before classes to watch the Smash direct, or at least enough to see the trailer live.

Still calling Porky though.
I don't think he'll answer, though. The phone is reserved for Ness' dad.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Here I thought I was a big Sega fan but i have no idea what some of those in house franchises are. lol
Hey, I just learned yesterday while doing research for a class assignment that Sega nowadays is actually part of a larger company, Sega Sammy (where the Sammy part makes pachinko machines.)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Let's go with grey and call it even.

Also Marth doesn't like flowers NEARLY enough to be a good anime protagonist. Welkin > Marth. Alicia confirmed FP5.
Yeah it’s more grey-ish, I think I was getting Welkin mixed up with Claude (not the FE one)

I’d love for VC to get some content I’m Smash even if it’s just a spirit or two.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So a character that was never real. . .
Tidus, or what's his face? Wasn't the plot of Final Fantasy X about how he's not real?
He wasn't not real. He was a dream conjured up by the Fayth summoned by Yu Yevon to "preserve" Zanarkand. Basically, to a sense Tidus was still "real", but he was along the lines of say, a Spirit/Familiar/etc given physical form when there is something supplying the magic/energy/etc to give them that form and disappears when the supply stops for the time being.

Calane

Smash Ace
I guess revival or push would've been the better term. Puyo Puyo Tetris released in 2014, Chronicle in 2016, and Champions in 2018. Chronicle and Champions are the two major games they're pushing, especially with Puyo Puyo eSports.
So you're saying that they're pushing Puyo Puyo eSports/Champions more than past games? I feel like I'm not quite getting your point.

That's sort of what happens when an ongoing series comes out with a new game. I'm sure they'd push the next one just as much, you know?

Edit: Basically, I don't see how pushing the latest game can be seen as a "revival" if the series hasn't lost popularity or underwent some sort of hiatus.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So you're saying that they're pushing Puyo Puyo eSports/Champions more than past games? I feel like I'm not quite getting your point.

That's sort of what happens when an ongoing series comes out with a new game. I'm sure they'd push the next one just as much, you know?
But there's been a more serious push for the series to become mainstream with the releases of Chronicle and Champions/eSports. Moreso than past games in the franchise like Puyo Puyo Tetris, and probably moreso than other, hypothetical normal releases in the series.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe it's because I love FFX but even if the game's a bit old by now I wouldn't mention major spoilers like these.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe it's because I love FFX but even if the game's a bit old by now I wouldn't mention major spoilers like these.
I mean people talk about a certain FFVII character’s death like it’s no big deal nowadays so...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's hope the page is better then the year.

Have any of the leakers said anything or are they keeping mum?

D

Deleted member

Let's hope the page is better then the year.

Have any of the leakers said anything or are they keeping mum?
Just basic clues essentially. Oh, and the main leaker on Resetera where we got our clues has been publicly backed by Sabi if that means anything.

*Its not a 1st party Nintendo character, but could be confused as one
*Not a popular character (but that's subjective; it could just mean not popular or well known outside of Japan)

I believe that's it. 9am is early, so it won't be too much longer to wait now.

EDIT: The names floating around that people are thinking it could be are Arle (Puyo Puyo series), Professor Layton (All nintendo games, but not technically a 1st part character apparently?), and Dante (mostly based on tweets from VA saying news was coming and one of the days they mentioned was the 16th, but most people are leaving out the fact they said the news was for their game; not about Dante in general).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So I've given myself an hour and a half break through hell to watch Re;Zero.

Who is definitely deconfirmed cause I wanna make my prediction.

Calane

Smash Ace
But there's been a more serious push for the series to become mainstream with the releases of Chronicle and Champions/eSports. Moreso than past games in the franchise like Puyo Puyo Tetris, and probably moreso than other, hypothetical normal releases in the series.
I think the series was already considered to be pretty mainstream (in Japan) before those games released, though.

I guess it does feel like Sega's taking it more seriously as one of their bigger franchises now, so I think I see what you're saying. The way you worded your first post, it sounded like you were saying the series was dead for a while and was just now making a comeback (which isn't the case).

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just basic clues essentially. Oh, and the main leaker on Resetera where we got our clues has been publicly backed by Sabi if that means anything.

*Its not a 1st party Nintendo character, but could be confused as one
*Not a popular character (but that's subjective; it could just mean not popular or well known outside of Japan)

I believe that's it. 9am is early, so it won't be too much longer to wait now.
So if that's to be believed that would rule out Crash Bandicoot (mistaken for Sony character, somethign Sony looks to encourage), Steve Minecraft, Fortnite guy, Freddy Fazbear, Gordon Freeman and Heavy Weapons Guy.

Great, now we have to go back to sanity.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
That is not really true, Sega always teases before a story driven Puyo game (like Puyo Puyo 8) and build up to its release, they also do that for every "anniversary" game (technically Chronicles is the 25th one but they decided to change the formula), the one game they have really REALLY pushed is Puyo Puyo Quest for mobile and arcade (japan only) released in 2013 that is still supported to this date with a ton of collaborations, so in Japan nothing has changed regarding Puyo Puyo.

It is true Sega is trying to make Puyo Puyo more mainstream outside of Japan, but even then, they haven't really pushed it as much as they could (for now).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So if that's to be believed that would rule out Crash Bandicoot (mistaken for Sony character, somethign Sony looks to encourage), Steve Minecraft, Fortnite guy, Freddy Fazbear, Gordon Freeman and Heavy Weapons Guy.

Great, now we have to go back to sanity.
To be fair, Crash is mistaken as Sony's because for a long time Crash was their mascot lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be fair, Crash is mistaken as Sony's because for a long time Crash was their mascot lol.
They used him as a mascot but never owned his rights, only had a controlling share in the studio that made him. The oldest Playstation they own character IIRC is Needles Kane aka Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom