• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Then where’s the official localized touhou games then?
In terms of official games that's canon to Touhou and written by ZUN, Antinomy Of Common Flowers got an English Patch on Steam so that makes it "Localized"(Even if I think the fan patches have more personality to them).

In terms of Non-Shanghai Alice games, Genso Rondo, Genso Wanderer, Gensou Skydrift, Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity, etc all got officially localized and you can buy them on different consoles if you count those.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Touhou Luna Nights
Touhou Genso Wanderers
Touhou Makuka Sai ~ Fantastic Danmaku Festival

Heck, there's like, 8 pages worth of content if you do a simple Steam search for Touhou, lol. Plenty of the games are playable in english, and before you use the "Yeah, but those are spin-offs!" argument, I'd just like to remind everyone of :ultdoc:.
The Dr. Mario comparison isn't very fair, since those aren't spinoffs; they're fan games. With that said AoCF does have an official English release, and the only reason the bullet hell games on Steam don't is that ZUN thinks his fans will do a better job. Personally, I hope Toby Fox managed to plant the seed of the idea that official translations might be a good think.

D

Deleted member

Touhou Luna Nights
Touhou Genso Wanderers
Touhou Makuka Sai ~ Fantastic Danmaku Festival

Heck, there's like, 8 pages worth of content if you do a simple Steam search for Touhou, lol. Plenty of the games are playable in english, and before you use the "Yeah, but those are spin-offs!" argument, I'd just like to remind everyone of :ultdoc:.
In terms of official games that's canon to Touhou and written by ZUN, Antinomy Of Common Flowers got an English Patch on Steam so that makes it "Localized"(Even if I think the fan patches have more personality to them).

In terms of Non-Shanghai Alice games, Genso Rondo, Genso Wanderer, Gensou Skydrift, Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity, etc all got officially localized and you can buy them on different consoles if you count those.
Well now

never mind what I said then

MooMew64

The Dr. Mario comparison isn't very fair, since those aren't spinoffs; they're fan games. With that said AoCF does have an official English release, and the only reason the bullet hell games on Steam don't is that ZUN thinks his fans will do a better job. Personally, I hope Toby Fox managed to plant the seed of the idea that official translations might be a good think.
Touhou is a pretty much an opensource property, though. The fan games are just as valid as the official ones IMO, especially when some of them get physical releases.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
ZUN is just very open minded on people using Touhou. Only requirements is that he wants others work to be known they're not official Touhou work. Hence why all these games, soundtracks, fanime, and doujin manga are all over the place.

He's pretty easy to negotiate with too which'll make him one of the easier people to negotiate with if Sakurai decides to get Reimu into Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Touhou seems to be the only franchise where fan games can even get sold on the Switch.

Take notes, Pokémon Company. I want my unedited Pokémon Essentials; I made a mistake when using it, forgetting to copy...so I don't have an unedited copy; or maybe I do on my older PC, but it's not plugged up, and I'm not sure anyway... edit: I FOUND A DOWNLOAD!

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Technically, due to ZUNs lax copyright on Touhou, Touhou became one of the largest Indie franchises even if it's Niche in the West. It even got into the Guiness Book of World Records due to that.

So it's not this "Super small franchise only 10 people know about" as people say. It's Niche, yes but not to the extent most people believe it is.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for giving further attetion to Fatman, but I think that if he is to believed (he isn't) is possible that Sakurai could have chosen Dovahkiin over Doomguy simply because the later would be much more difficult to work with since gore and violence are a staple of his series

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm sorry for giving further attetion to Fatman, but I think that if he is to believed (he isn't) is probable that Sakurai could have chosen Dovahkiin over Doomguy simply because the later would be much more difficult to work with since gore and violence are a staple of his series
Glory Kills were not a thing until Doom 2016.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry for giving further attetion to Fatman, but I think that if he is to believed (he isn't) is possible that Sakurai could have chosen Dovahkiin over Doomguy simply because the later would be much more difficult to work with since gore and violence are a staple of his series
Ngl, this argument really gets tiring to hear over and over again.

Because I’m pretty sure Bayonetta and MGS have a ton of gore and violence too.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i've known touhou from memes for almost a decade now

definitely not a literal who

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, even if Sakurai had to decide from a list that only includes one company's games he chose Persona, Metal Gear and Bayonetta over multiple, not M-rated franchises from SEGA and Konami.

D

Deleted member

MooMew64 MooMew64 Night Gale Night Gale I might take back what I said. i looked at the games while they’re on the switch those are fan games that weren’t released by zun but of course there’s an official zun made touhou game heading to the switch but I haven’t seen anything for it being localization other than the English patch but we’ll see if it ends up localized. It might but idk

this has nothing to do with Nintendo history tho
I just want to see and official touhou game localized to consider reimu likley

and yeah zun is easy to negotiate

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ingoreing that if Doomguy was to be in Smash, Bethesda would guaranteed to push the 2016 design

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here, the games even back then are gorey and violence
I'd imagine too his classic design would be an costume so win-win.
I mean, even if Sakurai had to decide from a list that only includes one company's games he chose Persona, Metal Gear and Bayonetta over multiple, not M-rated franchises from SEGA and Konami.
Oh great here goes the violent debate again...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Gore and violence can be toned down. Aside from Doomguy's appearance in Quake Champions (and, on a less relevant note, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3) showing that he can be playable without gore, Bayonetta's attacks in her home game turn opponents into bloody smears if they're finished off by something like a Wicked Weave or Gomorrah (which, obviously, they don't do in Smash), Joker's All-Out Attack causes a stream of silhouetted blood to erupt from his opponents in Persona 5 (again, doesn't happen in Smash), while Gray Fox's sword slashes people in half or cuts off limbs in Metal Gear Solid but only damages people in Smash.

Last edited:

MooMew64

MooMew64 MooMew64 Night Gale Night Gale I might take back what I said. i looked at the games while they’re on the switch those are fan games that weren’t released by zun but of course there’s an official zun made touhou game heading to the switch but I haven’t seen anything regarding the localization other then the English patch but we’ll see if it ends up localized. It might but idk

this has nothing to do with Nintendo history tho
I just want to see and official touhou game localized to consider reimu likley
I'm pretty sure we stopped considering Nintendo history to be any sort of requirement a long time ago.

:ultjoker: and :ultcloud: have almost next to none outside of some spin-offs, which Touhou's fangames pretty much are.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It was actually Quake Live that was goreless. Champions actually once advertised an overhaul of its gore system.
Oh, okay. I haven't played much of the Quake series (I've only played Quake Champions, and my interest dropped off after a while, though I did unlock Doomguy and Blazkowicz), but I knew it was less violent than Doom (even in Berserk mode, Doomguy just punches people, as opposed to his more creative execution methods in the 2016 game).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Touhou seems to be the only franchise where fan games can even get sold on the Switch.

Take notes, Pokémon Company.
Yeah, I'm sure Pokemon Company will just jump at the chance to dilute its brand identity while simultaneously not making money from it...

So it's not this "Super small franchise only 10 people know about" as people say. It's Niche, yes but not to the extent most people believe it is.
It's less niche than people think, but still more niche than any Touhou fan is willing to admit.

i've known touhou from memes for almost a decade now

definitely not a literal who
I've known Touhou memes for almost a decade now without knowing a single character's name.

So...still a literal who.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure we stopped considering Nintendo history to be any sort of requirement a long time ago.

:ultjoker: and :ultcloud: have almost next to none outside of some spin-offs, which Touhou's fangames pretty much are.
That’s What I said

it has nothing to do with Nintendo history

reimu has nothing to do with Nintendo history
Just that I want to see touhou localized

also she appeared in the 3ds before common flowers

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
It would be a new one, if an Smash Announcment happend outside of a Nintendo Direct or Smash related Direct.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
What confuses me is why people are so impatient for FP5.
For me, it was a combination of Banjo-Kazooie and the fact that they announced more DLC.

I had planned on only the announced 5 DLC characters and came to terms with that and who we had in the roster. There were some picks I wanted that were "killed" in the base roster (because they were spirits or ATs) and I had low expectations for who we could get for the pass after seeing the Joker (not that he was a bad pick, he just showed me I probably wasn't going to get anything I was wanting).

Once they announced Banjo and Kazooie though, I was in hype city. I had restored faith in the 4th and 5th picks. Terry wasn't one I wanted, but BK showed me some of my favorites had a shot, so I started looking forward to FP5. Then they announced more DLC post-pass. This was like drugs being shot into my brain. The possibility of some of the ATs and spirits being playable, as well as the increased likelyhood of new picks on my want list making the jump, threw me back on the hype train.

Before the post-pass announcement, and definitely before BK, I was hardly ever on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom