• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know what would be nice? If the next character's Final Smash wasn't another freaking cutscene.

Terry's was blatantly shoehorned in, it could've just been Triple Geyser and nobody would complain. Cutscene Final Smashes in general are far too common and almost as big of pacebreakers (since there's no input involved beyond sit back and watch).

In fact, beyond Echo Fighters, Inkling, Isabelle and Piranha Plant are the only newcomers who don't have a cutscene FS. Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry all have the same style of Final Smash, the only difference being how it's initiated. That's on top of Captain Falcon, Mega Man, Duck Hunt and Corrin from last time, and the changes made to Yoshi, Wario, Dedede, Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

While they have their own look, and that's appreciable, the biggest gameplay difference is the trigger attack that catches them. I know most guys don't care since FS's aren't used in comp (for good reason), the lack of variety in FS's recently has really been grating on me.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Truly we need to think of a character that matches Incineroar somewhat.

:ultridley::ultjoker:=Destroyed safe assumptions about the newcomers.
:ultsimon::ulthero:=Castlevania and DQ are NES icons with castles involved. You can play as multiple protagonists from their series.
:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:=Rareware nostalgia
:ultisabelle::ult_terry:=Mascoty characters with yellow hair, a connection to canines, and drama in the Smash community.
I'm gonna say Edelgard for a potential Incineroar analogue.

• Much like Incineroar, Edelgard is one of the main characters in the newest entry of one of Nintendo's legacy franchises.
  • They're also highly controversial in their home series and have brought this controversy over to Smash.
  • Supporters of the character claim their inclusion is justified by bringing a new fighting style to the Smash roster (Incineroar brings wrestling, Edelgard brings axefaire).
  • Detractors of the character either claim there's another option from the same game that could be more unique (Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc for Incineroar and Byleth, Dimitri, and Claude for Edelgard) or claiming that their series is already well-represented and doesn't need another character.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Not gonna happen but I'd want Sakurai to say "**** it" and just add Alcremie to Smash. I shouldn't like a sentient cream puff so much but here we are.
Girl's got like 60ish different forms that are ripe for alts (7 different sweets with matching colours, and a strawberry rainbow swirl one) a Gmax form and can make missiles out of cream, why are we not pushing this queen? Like, when are we gonna get the chance to put sentient food in Smash again?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

:ultsimon::ulthero:=Castlevania and DQ are NES icons with castles involved. You can play as multiple protagonists from their series.
:ultisabelle::ult_terry:=Mascoty characters with yellow hair, a connection to canines, and drama in the Smash community.
:ultincineroar::ultbyleth:= controversial 1st party additions from recent releases from series with a multitude of characters in smash already, heck, they're not even the most requested characters from said games. Yet they're among some of my most wanteds, so I win

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, because I don't remove spirits or assist trophies from the equation. But if you're so insistent on that being the case, who do you think it is?

And I'm unless I'm really mistaken, not even Reggie's actual statement was all that clear-cut. I'm pretty sure that all he said that was that the character would be "new to the [Smash Bros.] series", which only really says that they're not veterans.
Ok, I’ll bite.

If both Vergeben and Sabi really are telling the truth (I highly doubt the former is at this point though), then I’m guessing the only option left is probably Dragonborn (Skyrim). Also taking into account the current direction of the pass. If it isn’t him, then I don’t know who it is (if the Verge deconfirmations are true). And regardless of what Reggies statements meant, it still doesn’t change the fact the FP has been overwhelmingly 3rd party so far.

If Verge is lying? I’d then probably slant to either Phoenix Wright or Sol Badguy. Assuming that what Sabis source said was accurate.

Also, I’m still waiting on an answer to my question. And don’t piggyback off of my prediction btw, I’ll catch wind of it immediately.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i'm in it for byleth

everyone wins because if any route-specific character is in that basically makes everyone go "unga bunga this route is canon!!!!!". i want claude and god-shattering star as much as the next guy but damn it's not worth the lore flame war.

Krankees

Smash Ace
You know what would be nice? If the next character's Final Smash wasn't another freaking cutscene.

Terry's was blatantly shoehorned in, it could've just been Triple Geyser and nobody would complain. Cutscene Final Smashes in general are far too common and almost as big of pacebreakers (since there's no input involved beyond sit back and watch).

In fact, beyond Echo Fighters, Inkling, Isabelle and Piranha Plant are the only newcomers who don't have a cutscene FS. Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry all have the same style of Final Smash, the only difference being how it's initiated. That's on top of Captain Falcon, Mega Man, Duck Hunt and Corrin from last time, and the changes made to Yoshi, Wario, Dedede, Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

While they have their own look, and that's appreciable, the biggest gameplay difference is the trigger attack that catches them. I know most guys don't care since FS's aren't used in comp (for good reason), the lack of variety in FS's recently has really been grating on me.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, you want fighters to have final smashes that are more like Inkiling or Isabelle where they still have that quick insta kill vibe but they don't need to use cutscenes for it. If I got that right that would be nice.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
to liven up the conversation: what non-character addition would you like to see?
While I would love Steve in Smash, I would be pretty happy with a simple Minecraft stage. Also I think overall a Minecraft stage would have better reception, because for some reason Steve is really hated in the Smash fanbase.

Similarly, I would be pretty happy with a Rhythm heaven stages, especially if it means more Rhythm heaven music.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Smash 4 did have some stages that was sold alone (Smash 64 stages and the Mario maker stage). Maybe they could bring those back, but maybe they didn't sell that much for the work needed.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
If we ever get a Soul Calibur rep (doesn't matter who) I hope it comes with a Night Terror spirit battle that gives him (and you after equiping it) infinite jumps. It's the kind of broken s**t I expect in a Legend level spirit.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we ever get a Soul Calibur rep (doesn't matter who) I hope it comes with a Night Terror spirit battle that gives him (and you after equiping it) infinite jumps. It's the kind of broken s**t I expect in a Legend level spirit.
nightmare... win?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Triple Geyser is cool but no Buster Wolf in Terry's Final Smash would be wrong.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
also byleth or any FE3H rep's final smash is def gonna be a gambit IMO

jeralt's onslaught with all other notable characters in byleth's team (edelgard, dimitri, claude, flayn, other people i guess) is an easy reference

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

tbh, I'd still take cutscene Final Smashes over Great Aether clones anyday

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Great Aether is literally just cloned Omnislash anyway

so much they had to show it in Cloud's intial reveal trailer

And now we just have the DK/Little Mac Ora Ora final smash as filler final smash material

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman

But what about :ultinkling:? It looks like everyone has forgotten about them. Applying this theory, I would say some shooter character.

I'm definitely a fan of the ":ultincineroar: :ultpiranha: = disappointments" argument. I don't care how unique the plant is, it is, IMO, the only character undeserving of a spot in the roster. And Incineroar was just so...blah.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Terry's final smash feels ultimately weak in the end IMO

Like damn, even Ryu/Ken's is infinitely better and it ain't even a cutscene.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I cheered when I recognized it was the KOF14 clip of DIS IS A BEEG WAN. Shame that it was after Power Dunk which should have been Star Dunk Volcano
Yeah. Terry's FS is one of my faves but no Star Dunk Volcano surprised me a bit.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. Terry's FS is one of my faves but no Star Dunk Volcano surprised me a bit.
I think Power Dunk's inclusion in Triple Wolf is meant to reference it. The camera angles are even similar.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Hello there everyone, I'm kinda late to the party for the VGA but why there was no reveal of the 5th DLC ? I thought it was a given or I was mistaken ? And what are the speculation ?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I think it's more like this:

:ultridley::ultsimon:= Characters based on occidental vision of fantasy (because after all Ridley is a dragon) ||echo: :ultrichter:
:ultjoker::ulthero:= popular JRPG characters, classic and modern, anime style ||echo: :ultchrom:
:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:= Rareware nostalgia, western cartoon style ||echo: ?????
:ultincineroar::ult_terry:= Fighting characters with a fire theme and a lot of attitude ||echo: :ultken:
:ultisabelle::ultpiranha:= Popular casual Nintendo characters, nature/plants theme ||echo: :ultdaisy:
:ultinkling:?????= What...? New Nintendo franchise? Shooter character? ||echo: :ultdarksamus:?

I'm not sure if this method will give us any information though, considering that we are ignoring veterans and echoes.
Considering this theory, the characters who could get a matching newcomer are IMO Isabelle and Inkling, most likely Inkling. I doubt we're getting another Plant type character since Plant is already a DLC (even if it's not in the pass). There's a small chance of getting a joke/minion/retro character to match the plant, but it's unlikely IMO.

EDIT: I added echoes in the list, and the result is very interesting.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Weight Theory still has yet to be disproven.
Heavy confirmed.

My male/female duo theory hasn't been disproven as well.

Joker gets Kasumi
Hero gets Hero
B/K get nothing. Already complete.
Terry gets Alice or Terry

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Weight theory means absolutely nothing when a potted plant is heavier than a giant space dragon.

With that being said, Baboom wins.

D

Deleted member

Weight theory means absolutely nothing when a potted plant is heavier than a giant space dragon.
I mean, Weight Theory was always just a ****post

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Great Aether clones are still better Mario Finale clones though. Mostly because Mario Finale isn't all that interesting either (It really only works for Wii Fit Trainer).

Except for Darkness Illusion. That one is infinitely more lame and uninspired than Galaxia Darkness.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What do you guys think the chances are that we get a direct this week?
Depends on if we get an announcement tomorrow or mayyyyyyyyyyybe the day after, otherwise we wait for January.

Firox

Smash Master
Depends on if we get an announcement tomorrow or mayyyyyyyyyyybe the day after, otherwise we wait for January.
Ugh, that would suck so hard. I'm hoping they try and bank on Christmas sales so that I don't have to wait a month for the next reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom