• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm sure behind the scenes Sora will the negotiated for at some point during Ultimates lifespan (if he hasn't already) just because Smash always has those "never ever" reveals.

Wether or not he's actually approved is a different story.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Quote this post, and tell me who you, personally, believe the 5th Fighter's Pass character is gonna be.
I'm going to be honest with you, Hina. F*** if I know.

Presumably, the instant that I hazard a guess, Sakurai halts production and deliberately chooses a new candidate, to personally torment me. Surely this is the reason it's taking so long. You will abuse me no longer, old man! You hear that? I'm done with your sick games. The only way to win is to stop playing.

D

Deleted member

Reimu looks unlikley for 5
To me, Reimu is unlikely IF the reveal will be at the Game Awards. If it were a mini Direct, she would be likely. It's like I hypothesized; an indie rep with a niche audience would not be revealed at something as grandiose as TGA.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Welcome back to Rate Their Chances in the wrong thread, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

I want y'all to just humor me for a moment. Don't give me any generic "oh maybe a character from [x] company or [y] game".

Quote this post, and tell me who you, personally, believe the 5th Fighter's Pass character is gonna be.
It's gonna be Pink Gold Peach. :4pacman:

But in all seriousness I think it comes down to either Sora or Phoenix Wright. Maybe throw Sakura Shinguji in as a dark horse.

D

Deleted member

With no Smash related announcement currently and the VGAs airing next Thursday, I am now inclined to believe Geralt of the Witcher will be FP5 unless Vergeburger says FP5 isn't CD Projekt RED. Otherwise, Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors would be it with Yukimura Sanada from Samurai Warriors as a possible echo.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Welcome back to Rate Their Chances in the wrong thread, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

I want y'all to just humor me for a moment. Don't give me any generic "oh maybe a character from [x] company or [y] game".

I'm currently considering three scenarios at the moment.

Scenarios one and two are what I'm personally calling "The Most Likely Outcome", and two characters fit this bill in my opinion: 2B, and Phoenix Wright.

2B has grown in popularity and has even already had a major crossover via SoulCalibur. On top of her ever growing popularity, Nintendo has had a great working relationship with both Platinum Games and Square Enix lately, which I imagine ease negotiations considerably. Her inclusion would be a popular choice, and she fits very well with the current Smash cast, bringing in another very unique, new world from which to draw content from. I personally think 2B has a 65% of being FP5.

Phoenix Wright is probably the safest of these two. His series for the longest time was a Nintendo exclusive and he is practically an icon of the DS era. He has a huge legacy among the Capcom greats and is a perfect choice for another Capcom character. He already has moveset potential via MVC3 as well, showing that he can indeed work in a fighting game. Capcom getting more characters seems like an inevitable thing to me given how crossover happy the company is with any project they're involved in, and Ace Attorney is, in my opinion, the most logical choice for a Nintendo crossover with RE out of the running. I think Phoenix has a 85% of being FP5.

Now, the third scenario I think could happen is what I'm viewing as "The Curve Ball Scenario": Reimu, from the Touhou Project.

Touhou is niche, yes, but it isn't exactly unheard of. If you've partaken in anime and manga culture, you've almost undoubtedly come across Touhou at some point, whether you've realized it or not. It's often either undersold or oversold in popularity, but it is by no means the absolute no name that people are making it out to be, and is slowly but surely starting to gain some traction over here with spin-offs and mainlines making their way over for official purchase at last. Touhou appearing in Smash could be just the thing it needs to really propel it, and the franchise easily has an incredible legacy to it that lead to it being an inspiration for games that went on to be big (Undertale being the most notable). Reimu fits the left-field pick that Smash seems to be oh so fond if, especially for it's finale characters. If Sakurai wants to keep us on out toes and really wow us with an incredible, never ever moment just like he did with Joker, Reimu fits the bill. I personally give her a chance of 40%, as most of this is admittedly wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Remember there is one factor that is unpredictable: The silent majority.

What I'm saying is we don't know what everyone wants solely because no one site has everyone.

So basically, who knows what we could receive.

D

Deleted member

Three Houses is the only I can seriously expect some time down the road. The lack of spirits for Nintendo's most successful Fire Emblem game is apparent. I might be wrong about whether it'll be FP 5, but it's as good a guess as I'll ever have.

As of which lord, I expect Byleth solely because he is the player character and he matters as a protagonist in every route. He is the player character on the box we all see. It's gonna be Byleth.

Last edited by a moderator:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

I don't have anyone specific in mind, but I'm leaning toward "Gritty macho-man", so... Marcus Phoenix from Gears of War?

Of those I'd be less-opposed to, I'll take a crapshoot and say Neptune, but I'm pretty sure we're getting a testosterone injection.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Remember there is one factor that is unpredictable: The silent majority.

What I'm saying is we don't know what everyone wants solely because no one site has everyone.

So basically, who knows what we could receive.
The silent majority probably wants Sora too. He's the most mainstream out of the current "frontrunners"

D

Deleted member

i've seen plenty of fanart that suggests yes

fr though, i love 3h, but it's got one too many writing hiccups for a story based game for me to consider it one of the best games of the 10s, much less the best nintendo game of the 10s when we had **** like smash, botw, odyssey, etc release this decade

my main issue being how i can't play through 3/4 routes without yearning for dimitri
I feel you. Three Houses is also a longer game and it takes longer to prepare **** compared to something like Awakening and Fates where that **** is as quick as a snap of the finger.

Granted, I only did like one route of Three Houses but that one route was shockingly tiring.

Anyways, we can all agree that Rhea is better than Sidon.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Three Houses is the only I can seriously expect some time down the road. The lack of spirits for Nintendo's most successful Fire Emblem game is apparent. I might be wrong about whether it'll be FP 5, but it's as good a guess as I'll ever have.
Broooooo we’re not getting one. I’m almost certain we won’t. If Rex couldn’t get in, how does anyone from 3H or AC have a chance? I want you to be right, but I also don’t want my feelings to be hurt ;-;

As for my pick for FP5, it’s gonna be Sora yep yep.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
How do you all get such specific percentages for fighter possibilities?
There's an 87.5% chance that such percentages are fabricated in order to make our most desired look much more likely than the competition.

In other words, it all comes from the ass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With no Smash related announcement currently and the VGAs airing next Thursday, I am now inclined to believe Geralt of the Witcher will be FP5 unless Vergeburger says FP5 isn't CD Projekt RED. Otherwise, Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors would be it with Yukimura Sanada from Samurai Warriors as a possible echo.
Don't you think Geralt might be too big a reveal to be saved for last?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Really, at this point, I'm betting on Phoenix. If Verge disconfirms Capcom, then I'll say "**** it" and drop my chips on Sora or 2B, because no rules will hold any meaning for me by then and they're my two most wanted picks.

D

Deleted member

I feel you. Three Houses is also a longer game and it takes longer to prepare **** compared to something like Awakening and Fates where that **** is as quick as a snap of the finger.

Granted, I only did like one route of Three Houses but that one route was shockingly tiring.

Anyways, we can all agree that Rhea is better than Sidon.
look rhea von religon fire emblem can punish me for straying from the righteous path any day but sidon? fish man with fish parts

:yodasumi:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

The main character of the Ace Attorney series. He has a cute girl partner and can destroy the rest of the cast using only his words, evidence and logic. One of the best written characters of all time.

Miles Edgeworth

D

Deleted member

Broooooo we’re not getting one. I’m almost certain we won’t. If Rex couldn’t get in, how does anyone from 3H or AC have a chance? I want you to be right, but I also don’t want my feelings to be hurt ;-;
That comes down to the reason why Rex was deconfirmed. Rex's game came out December 2017 and Sakurai's development of Ultimate started as soon as Smash 4 was wrapped up, which was around early 2016. If Sakurai wanted to choose a fighter, Rex was pretty much off the table by virtue of he didn't exist during planning phase.

Meanwhile, Three Houses was being marketed around 2018, which lines up with Sakurai's DLC planning that started as early as spring 2018. Simply put, Byleth could very well have been on the table, and Sakurai could have just held off working on him for DLC until around Three Houses released.

The lack of spirits is my only evidence for Three Houses, though. It's not 100%, but that's more than Phoenix has so I'm rolling with Three Houses.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t think it’s true that we don’t know who the front runners are. We’ve lost a lot of potential picks through leaks but get this: the majority of Smash fans, the ones who don’t post online, probably have no idea that this leak fiasco is going on.

I’ve asked my students who they want, and I can tell you, they’ve got no idea what’s even plausible. “Goku”, “Naruto”, they say, having no idea they aren’t eligible. Chances are, these kids have no idea who Sakurai is.

Plenty of non-forum goers love Smash, but from people who at least have a knowledge of how things work I can tell you who I’ve heard:

Sora
Dante
Monster Hunter

Those three are ones I’ve heard. The “silent majority” probably has no idea what “a Touhou” is. The non-forum going “silent majority”, from what I see, wants more 3rd party.

I can’t speak for everybody obviously, and I don’t want to. It’s just an observation I feel forum goers forget: we don’t see things the same way non-forum goers do.

Hinata Hinata You know who I want.

P E P S I M A N

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That comes down to the reason why Rex was deconfirmed. Rex's game came out December 2017 and Sakurai's development of Ultimate started as soon as Smash 4 was wrapped up, which was around early 2016. If Sakurai wanted to choose a fighter, Rex was pretty much off the table by virtue of he didn't exist during planning phase.

Meanwhile, Three Houses was being marketed around 2018, which lines up with Sakurai's DLC planning that started as early as spring 2018. Simply put, Byleth could very well have been on the table, and Sakurai could have just held off working on him until around Three Houses released.

The lack of spirits is my only evidence for Three Houses, though. It's not 100%, but that's more than Phoenix has so I'm rolling with Three Houses.
Source for the DLC being planned around spring 2018?

I could've swore the DLC lineup was decided on shortly after the base roster was finalized.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

As for my pick for FP5, it’s gonna be Sora yep yep.
Spring Man: "Am I a joke to you?"

but yeah as discussed the other day, ARMS got just as screwed

I could've swore the DLC lineup was decided on shortly after the base roster was finalized.
I don't have a concrete source but Banjo at least was in talks as early as last year

D

Deleted member

Meanwhile, Three Houses was being marketed around 2018, which lines up with Sakurai's DLC planning that started as early as spring 2018. Simply put, Byleth could very well have been on the table, and Sakurai could have just held off working on him for DLC until around Three Houses released.

The thing is if Rex was too late to even be considered for DLC, why would anything later than Xenoblade 2 be considered? I'm not ruling out the possibility for season 2 but for fighter 5 I don't see it happening.

I recall Opossum Opossum saying that Banjo was being negotiated sometime around April 2018, so if we were to use him as a guideline then it's fair to say that DLC probably was in it's early stages around Spring 2018

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Hey, what if we're in the dark timeline...
And there's no Smash at the VGAs?

D

Deleted member

scenes when the most wholesome goodboi lord gets in

D

Deleted member

Well hold on, I'm gonna need a source for that because I've never heard that. All I know was DLC was finalized on November 2018, which Sakurai tweeted about. Negotiations aren't just decided in a month and I remember hearing from somebody Opossum Opossum that DLC might have been considered as early as spring
The thing is if Rex was too late to even be considered for DLC, why would anything later than Xenoblade 2 be considered? I'm not ruling out the possibility for season 2 but for fighter 5 I don't see it happening.
Because Rex was too early. Sakurai had enough time to squeeze XC2 content into base game. Meanwhile Three Houses was about a year later and could tie into marketing similar to that of Corrin in Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom