• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Kind of random, but I wanted to weigh in on something regarding the Mii costumes leak. I noticed some people saying that a modder wouldn't pay attention to small details like the black space in the helmet or the length of teeth, etc., but clearly you've never met a dedicated cosplayer. Getting small details right is exactly what's on the mind of people like that. So I see no reason why a modder wouldn't pull up a reference picture, make note of those small details and apply those to the mods when tons of cosplayers (myself included) do exactly that. Saying that someone wouldn't pay attention to small details is just plain wrong.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Kind of random, but I wanted to weigh in on something regarding the Mii costumes leak. I noticed some people saying that a modder wouldn't pay attention to small details like the black space in the helmet or the length of teeth, etc., but clearly you've never met a dedicated cosplayer. Getting small details right is exactly what's on the mind of people like that. So I see no reason why a modder wouldn't pull up a reference picture, make note of those small details and apply those to the mods when tons of cosplayers (myself included) do exactly that. Saying that someone wouldn't pay attention to small details is just plain wrong.
Yeah that makes sense.
I’m part of two discord servers on cosplaying anime characters with masks and even the details of the mask are carefully made to resemble characters.
Unless it’s a OC, but that’s another story.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The detail argument is more that this looks incredibly professional and contains a lot of detail that the modding community has claimed would be difficult to compress.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
The detail argument is more that this looks incredibly professional and contains a lot of detail that the modding community has claimed would be difficult to compress.
I'm addressing the people in this thread who said "I don't think the modder would pay attention to small details like that".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh

two leaks are still standing for FP5: Phoenix Wright (Terry was dropped Nov 6; not the Sephiroth variant I don’t think as that stipulated PW would be revealed with the Terry presentation which didn’t happen) and KOS-MOS (drunken cat leak which claimed Banjo’s codename was Buddy, assuming they’re the same poster). KOS-MOS is also backed up by the total lack of Bandai Namco Mii costumes up till now. The Namco rep COULD also be TOS’s Lloyd Irving, but in a post Hero world, I think his Mii costume is more likely to return along with Heihachi’s as Heihachi’s wasn’t in the Terry costume set even though Akira and Jacky were. It’s also unlikely we’ll see two fighting game characters.

there’s also a rumor of Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, but nothing substantiating that rumor has surfaced to my knowledge and it’s doubtful Sega would get two reps in the same pass (I’m counting Joker as Sega since they own Atlus)

since the Frogger leak was deconfirmed (no Hollow Knight Mii costume), if we do get Doom Slayer he won’t be FP5 most likely. Possibly post pass, along with Geno if insider water cooler talk is an indicator as well as two slots after FP5 opening up in the site’s code. Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and/or Reimu could be post pass as well for third parties, but they’ll probably be much, much later.

for first party, I can definitely see Elma following Geno as the next Spirit promotion. Hiroyuki Sawano announced a secret project around the same time last year as Yoko Shimomura (confirmed to be composing for Smash) and Banjo has evidenced that DLC planning began as far back as early last year, only finalized last November. Speaking OF last November, Elma’s English VO, Caitlin Glass, announced an NDA voice role shortly after Sakurai announced the “entire” DLC lineup was complete. We still don’t know what the project or the NDA role is to this day.

so basically:

my FP5 prediction: either Phoenix Wright or a Namco Rep (leaning more strongly toward KOS-MOS)
First two post pass characters: Doom Slayer, Geno
Possible first party post pass I think has better chances than most think: Elma
Might happen waaaaaay later down the line: Crash, Hayabusa, maybe Reimu

these are what I feel most confident in right now.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
So uh

two leaks are still standing for FP5: Phoenix Wright (Terry was dropped Nov 6; not the Sephiroth variant I don’t think as that stipulated PW would be revealed with the Terry presentation which didn’t happen) and KOS-MOS (drunken cat leak which claimed Banjo’s codename was Buddy, assuming they’re the same poster). KOS-MOS is also backed up by the total lack of Bandai Namco Mii costumes up till now. The Namco rep COULD also be TOS’s Lloyd Irving, but in a post Hero world, I think his Mii costume is more likely to return along with Heihachi’s as Heihachi’s wasn’t in the Terry costume set even though Akira and Jacky were. It’s also unlikely we’ll see two fighting game characters.

there’s also a rumor of Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, but nothing substantiating that rumor has surfaced to my knowledge and it’s doubtful Sega would get two reps in the same pass (I’m counting Joker as Sega since they own Atlus)

since the Frogger leak was deconfirmed (no Hollow Knight Mii costume), if we do get Doom Slayer he won’t be FP5 most likely. Possibly post pass, along with Geno if insider water cooler talk is an indicator as well as two slots after FP5 opening up in the site’s code. Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and/or Reimu could be post pass as well for third parties, but they’ll probably be much, much later.

for first party, I can definitely see Elma following Geno as the next Spirit promotion. Hiroyuki Sawano announced a secret project around the same time last year as Yoko Shimomura (confirmed to be composing for Smash) and Banjo has evidenced that DLC planning began as far back as early last year, only finalized last November. Speaking OF last November, Elma’s English VO, Caitlin Glass, announced an NDA voice role shortly after Sakurai announced the “entire” DLC lineup was complete. We still don’t know what the project or the NDA role is to this day.

so basically:

my FP5 prediction: either Phoenix Wright or a Namco Rep (leaning more strongly toward KOS-MOS)
First two post pass characters: Doom Slayer, Geno
Possible first party post pass I think has better chances than most think: Elma
Might happen waaaaaay later down the line: Crash, Hayabusa, maybe Reimu

these are what I feel most confident in right now.
The Frogger rumor has no bearing on Doom Slayer or Geno. The Mii Costume videos are a separate entity. But you're also right that neither are guaranteed to be FP5.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
if those two leaks are from 4Chan then they are definitely fake. Frogger leak also guessed the 6th and got the name "King of Fighters Stadium" right and it still turned out to be fake. The "Buddy" leak is most likely a lucky guess as well.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Alright, after the situation with Mai, I think Shantae is unlikely. Not because of Shantae's outfit, which while revealing wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that Shantae has some Gainaxing when belly-dancing to summon into an animal which would be a part of her moveset, and Sakurai likes making the third party characters as accurate as possible. That was probably one of the biggest issues with Mai.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Alright, after the situation with Mai, I think Shantae is unlikely. Not because of Shantae's outfit, which while revealing wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that Shantae has some Gainaxing when belly-dancing to summon into an animal which would be a part of her moveset, and Sakurai likes making the third party characters as accurate as possible. That was probably one of the biggest issues with Mai.
Emphasis on "as possible".

If Bayo can keep her hair on, Shantae can go without jiggle physics.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
There is a precedent that compromise is there. Look at Ridley, he was previously called impossible and now he's here.

In addition, Shantae really just has the belly dancing as the "lewdest" thing she does. Mai... I mean, look at them dobanhankeros. They swing pendulously with every movement, that's a bit harder to make PG

Sysreq

Smash Ace
if those two leaks are from 4Chan then they are definitely fake. Frogger leak also guessed the 6th and got the name "King of Fighters Stadium" right and it still turned out to be fake. The "Buddy" leak is most likely a lucky guess as well.
The buddy leak had more going for it iirc. It just didn't have any info related to FP5 or beyond. What would make it fake is if the KOS-MOS leak was just piggy-backing off of the drunk cat pic.

Ehhh, unsure about this. She also has magic and the pirate gear (so transforming doesn't have to be her whole moveset). And in the new game coming out, she doesn't have to belly dance to transform, which would match the fast pace of Smash Bros and still be faithful.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There is a precedent that compromise is there. Look at Ridley, he was previously called impossible and now he's here.

In addition, Shantae really just has the belly dancing as the "lewdest" thing she does. Mai... I mean, look at them dobanhankeros. They swing pendulously with every movement, that's a bit harder to make PG
Mai’s outfit also shows sideboob when she turns, and for the lower half of the outfit, it’s a slit of cloth covering her crotch and it doesn’t look like she’s wearing any underwear

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, that "good girls and boys" joke was funny, but now we're going to have to deal with "sexy characters disconfirmed?!" discussions for months.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The buddy leak had more going for it iirc. It just didn't have any info related to FP5 or beyond. What would make it fake is if the KOS-MOS leak was just piggy-backing off of the drunk cat pic.
Right, the KOS-MOS part was what I was referring to. I forgot about the fact they were separate.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
You know, that "good girls and boys" joke was funny, but now we're going to have to deal with "sexy characters disconfirmed?!" discussions for months.
Probably. We just need another sexy character to change the perception. 2B is kinda fetishy and sexy when you think about her even if I would like Smash to stay away from Nier

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yyyyup. Not looking forward to that. Already pissed about seeing comments like "It's called Smash Bros. for a reason."

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys imagine.

On the 7th of December in response to the games one year anniversary we get a mini-Smash direct revealing Geno then at the VGA Doom Slayer is revealed.

How'd that be for something?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah. I'm tired of people deconfirming Bayonetta already.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The worst part is that Mai was technically cut because of that, but if the japanese translation is anything to go by, that was completely on CERO, not on Sakurai and his team, so it's not like characters would be rejected as playable for the same reasons - not if they can be toned down reasonably.

There is a difference between the two, but I'm sure a lot of people will ignore that fact. It's probably also gonna rekindle the whole "too violent" debates as well, ugh...

blackghost

Smash Champion
i dont have a problem with the discussion of what characters can or cant make it in due to thier sex appeal. I do have a problem with the people that do not understand why mai wasn't included. It wasnt the pose, it wasn't boobs it was the potential to see up the skirt with the camera and keep the lowest rating under CERO. Consider that smash bros has not added a character with a dress on since melee and now i think we know why. And only keeps those because bayonetta bypasses that because she's essentially wearing a unitard. other characters like lara, edelgaurd, and elma bypass this as well. shantae also has pants on. see-through but still pants. 2b would take some subtle censorship to work.

honestly, i hate the rules on how ratings for female characters work. because in the end many female characters and their fans just end up left out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No but seriously, I remember YouTube comment sections back in Smash 4 where everybody and their mother would rag against Bayonetta4Smash because she'd be too sexy. It's a fair concern given that her entire aesthetic is hot, but it was also didn't stop her.

Meanwhile, what caught CERO's radar back in Smash 4's days were Palutena and Wonder Pink. Corrin's inner thighs got censored too. It's about panties y'all. Nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm too preoccupied with Terry to care about leaks and whatnot... and I already said that I'm more interested in news about Fighter #6 and onward, so that we have a general idea of what new direction DLC will take. With that being said, I'm 0-4 with my predictions, so I have a feeling it's going to end up being yet another character I didn't support and/or expect from the get-go. I'm cool with that; I like pleasant surprises. However, although I'm leaning towards her appearing in season 2, I think 2B can live up to the hype and would be a high note to end on that also breaks almost every pattern I can think of lol.

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

You're (probably?) joking, but a Namco launch title to the greatest selling console of all time, the first Ridge Racer to feature a human on the game cover, and a racing rep that actually fights with and inside of a car would be kinda dope. An RR rep would be unexpected as heck bring so much salt, but it has merit. I'd imagine representation from all of the games, but RR5's soundtrack was notable for being all over the place because of the talent involved. Apparently, the game was a nice balance of being realistic but super arcadey and accessible.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The worst part is that Mai was technically cut because of that, but if the japanese translation is anything to go by, that was completely on CERO, not on Sakurai and his team, so it's not like characters would be rejected as playable for the same reasons - not if they can be toned down reasonably.

There is a difference between the two, but I'm sure a lot of people will ignore that fact. It's probably also gonna rekindle the whole "too violent" debates as well, ugh...
In the end, it doesn't matter who is drawing the line, so long as the line is being drawn.

If the issue was something that pertained specifically to the extreme end of the spectrum Mai's attire falls in, that's less damning, granted, but if this goes back to the whole "pantyshots are the devil" topic, it does become concerning since it may inform their decisions going forward. If you have a pool of 10 characters you're considering and you know CERO is going to be a nightmare about 2 of them, in all likelihood you've actually got a pool of 8 characters to consider. It's just not worth the hassle to deal with any potential backlash when you can just shift your focus elsewhere and avoid it.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
That darn camera feature is a double-edged sword. The thought of abusing it never crossed my mind, let alone as a child.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Does anyone else just want the most ridiculous characters now? I’m not saying I want characters like Freddy Fa Bear, but maybe like Rash from BattleToads or NiGHTs.

I think my final characters I’d actually really die for are geno and doom slayer, however I’m kinda into the wild ideas like Phoenix Wright or the above mention.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Does anyone else just want the most ridiculous characters now? I’m not saying I want characters like Freddy Fa Bear, but maybe like Rash from BattleToads or NiGHTs.

I think my final characters I’d actually really die for are geno and doom slayer, however I’m kinda into the wild ideas like Phoenix Wright or the above mention.
Considering I've had a few ORPG characters, iDOLM@STER reps, Captain N, Quinty, Carmen Sandiego, and Giana on my list for a while now, I've been going off the rails on a crazy train from the start.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Or he is just a likely as Banjo & Kazooie where the same points towards Isaac also applied for those two.

I'm gonna hype for Doom Guy and if he doesn't come, I don't have much to lose for it since I already got Banjo & Kazooie. Doom Guy would be a nice bonus.
How can I like something twice?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In the end, it doesn't matter who is drawing the line, so long as the line is being drawn.

If the issue was something that pertained specifically to the extreme end of the spectrum Mai's attire falls in, that's less damning, granted, but if this goes back to the whole "pantyshots are the devil" topic, it does become concerning since it may inform their decisions going forward. If you have a pool of 10 characters you're considering and you know CERO is going to be a nightmare about 2 of them, in all likelihood you've actually got a pool of 8 characters to consider. It's just not worth the hassle to deal with any potential backlash when you can just shift your focus elsewhere and avoid it.
Thing is, Mai would have been a cameo/Spirit either way, Terry was always the Fatal Fury contender. So there's no reason for Sakurai to have CERO yapping in his ear for a cameo, so yeah, while I don't like the end result, I can understand why it happened, it just wasn't worth the effort.

With actual playable characters, though? Giving longer tights to, say, 2B, in order to make her playable would go a long way. It's relatively minor in that case and may not affect ratings. Not to mention 2B would sell very well, methinks.

The distinction, I believe, is that Bayo, as a playable character, was worth the effort to Sakurai. Mai, as a cameo, was not. That's all there is to it, I think. No disconfirms for anyone wearing skirts there.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I don't have anyone too crazy but I'm taking the DLC with very low expectations. I'm trying not to assume any one of the characters I want has stellar chances for both the reasons of saving myself disappointment and also potentially being surprised by who does get in.

D

Deleted member

My only bat **** most wanted is Mike Tyson.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
We don't seriously think Mai is affecting the chances of characters like 2B or Shantae, do we?

Shantae is a spirit already, for one. No alterations had to be made to her in that regard. Mythra, on the other hand, did, but that still didn't stop her from getting in. Obviously a spirit image is a far different story from a fighter, but they still had to go through CERO and the ESRB all the same. Corrin and Bayonetta both got some small design tweeks in order to fit the age rating, and I don't doubt any """provocative""" or skirt wearing female would really be that much of an issue. That's what the black voids are for.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Terry's codename is Dolly. I want you to imagine the madness if Dolly was datamined, instead of Brave.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yyyyup. Not looking forward to that. Already pissed about seeing comments like "It's called Smash Bros. for a reason."
You know what they say, Smash Bros before Smash H-[received an infraction at Smash World Forums for Inappropriate Content]

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Terry's codename is Dolly. I want you to imagine the madness if Dolly was datamined, instead of Brave.
Oh god the Geno thread would be on literal fire.

I think the reference is eluding me, though. What's that got to do with Terry or SNK? Anyone more well versed with SNK have a clue?

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
"sexy characters disconfirmed?!" -- I guess that means Cooking Mama is disconfirmed :smirk:

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I don't doubt any """provocative""" or skirt wearing female would really be that much of an issue. That's what the black voids are for.
The fact that it took multiple attempts to get Palutena and Wonder Pink approved indicates that it isn't quite so straightforward.

I do fully believe that (virtually) any character can be modified enough to get in.
I just also believe that unless there is a particular reason for a given character to be elevated above the other candidates to an extreme level, it's not likely they'd bother. They can just move to the next character on the list instead and the public would never know.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
My only bat **** most wanted is Mike Tyson.
For my first time, I don't have any characters that I'm crazy excited for. I have everyone that I wanted. With Banjo and K Rool my fanlist is complete. The rest is just icing on the cake :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom