• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm still thinking Reimu will eventually show up.

Whether it be FP5 or as a post pass character, I just hope for better Shrine Maiden to come in and Smash.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I'm still thinking Reimu will eventually show up.

Whether it be FP5 or as a post pass character, I just hope for better Shrine Maiden to come in and Smash.
There are other Touhou characters I like more but she deserves to be in. Touhou is huge.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Nintendo always DMCA's leaks.

They seem to never bother with image leaks, and there's this gameplay leak from before Ultimate's release that was never taken down:

They may have shown Galeem themselves, but not his boss fight, and the guy who uploaded it made a comment with the list of bosses and pinned it.

I will say, however, that I did see people saying that some tweets with links to the videos of the recent leak, or the videos themselves, were taken down, but I don't know if this is true tbh.

This is how I see it; either:

1. Their system is automated and sucks half the time/they didn't prepare it for this stuff very well.

or

2. They're incredibly slow.
That video you showed is pretty much a survivor among a lot of videos that were taken down, this one has yet to have a copy of it being taken down. Since It's a leak that is showing further involvement from Square Enix and involvement from Bethesda, it's actually a big thing and makes no sense for Nintendo to be slow or take no action when in the past they reacted and quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plank08

Smash Lord
So...what is everyone's opinion on Doom Slayer's chances (tbh I never like the name Doomguy and Slayer is more fitting)

Mine's...around 75%.
95%, I didn’t put 100% so people wouldn’t yell at me to hype responsibly all the time
Re: DOOM's name

His name has gotta be Doomslayer. Its cemented thanks to the introduction the evil forces of hell give him (36 seconds in) :

Maybe if they use classic as a costume they could call that one Doomguy

Droodle

Smash Lord

They seem to never bother with image leaks, and there's this gameplay leak from before Ultimate's release that was never taken down:

They may have shown Galeem themselves, but not his boss fight, and the guy who uploaded it made a comment with the list of bosses and pinned it.
I get your point, and I agree that Nintendo doesn't always take down leaks.

However, there is a big difference between a leak that may suggest some fighter characters coming in the next 3-5 months, and a leak that showcases the final boss of a game that releases in 2 weeks (not to mention most people don't really care as much for bosses compared to potential characters).

And specifically in regards to the Galeem leak; the entire game had leaked by that point, and people were pirating it (if I recall correctly). Nintendo DID go after videos, but seeing how multiple people had their own copies of the game, there were bound to be certain people who got away with leaking.

Not saying that the Mii leak is fake because Nintendo isn't taking it down, just that the contexts of the two leaks is VERY different.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nakoruru deserves better.
Frankly Nakoruru was very fortunate Sakurai treated SNK as, basically, a sole property. It's possible that keeping the focus closer to Terry would've kept her excluded entirely.

In any case, a Mii costume and spirit is not bad for a character in her situation. It's not like Samurai Shodown is some blockbuster title, or that she's even the protagonist of the series.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Also, while I do think a Bethesda rep is looking likely right now, I wouldn't jump the shark and say it is Doomguy.

In my opinion, another likely scenario is Dovahkiin, with these Bethesda costumes.

-Doom Slayer
-Cacodemon
-Fallout Boy
-Power Armor/Daedric Armor
-Deathclaw

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Frankly Nakoruru was very fortunate Sakurai treated SNK as, basically, a sole property. It's possible that keeping the focus closer to Terry would've kept her excluded entirely.

In any case, a Mii costume and spirit is not bad for a character in her situation. It's not like Samurai Shodown is some blockbuster title, or that she's even the protagonist of the series.
Nakoruru can enter the next Smash and she's co-protagonist ;)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That video you showed is pretty much a survivor among a lot of videos that were taken down, this one has yet to have a copy of it being taken down. Since It's a leak that is showing further involvement from Square Enix and involvement from Bethesda, it's actually a big thing and makes no sense for Nintendo to be slow or take no action when in the past they reacted and quickly.
But why don't they bother with images?

Plus, if their system is automated (since, in the past, they even took down fanmade music for Smash when it was for specific characters they didn't own), then it probably sucks at catching certain things.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, while I do think a Bethesda rep is looking likely right now, I wouldn't jump the shark and say it is Doomguy.

In my opinion, another likely scenario is Dovahkiin, with these Bethesda costumes.

-Doom Slayer
-Cacodemon
-Fallout Boy
-Deathclaw
I'd still put my money on Doom Slayer, but Terry has ruined things for me, because now I'll be disappointed if Sakurai doesn't include the Skyrim theme, which he almost certainly wouldn't. :laugh:

Nakoruru can enter the next Smash and she's co-protagonist ;)
Deuteragonist, maybe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

-Doom Slayer
-Cacodemon
-Fallout Boy
-Deathclaw
wow, didn’t know Sakurai commissioned Pete Wentz to do some songs for Smash. :troll:

(Ps it’s Vault Boy btw)

D

Deleted member

But why don't they bother with images?

Plus, if their system is automated (since, in the past, they even took down fanmade music for Smash when it was for specific characters they didn't own), then it probably sucks at catching certain things.
This case has videos and if they want to crack them down, Nintendo pretty much goes after them which isn't the case as of yet. Photos are more difficult to crack down and at the same time more difficult to prove or disprove, dunno why people who believe in the leak just wave this issue of Nintendo's inaction as a non-issue. It is a point that while doesn't not make the leak fake, it doesn't make sense as I have said before this leak involves more parties than just Nintendo.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I will say, however, that I did see people saying that some tweets with links to the videos of the recent leak, or the videos themselves, were taken down, but I don't know if this is true tbh.

1. Their system is automated and sucks half the time/they didn't prepare it for this stuff very well.

or

There does come a point where overwhelming the system just makes some go **** it. If this were the only video of Galeem at the time it likely would have been DMCA'd, but there were many people uploading Smash videos at the time where killing one video just makes it get replaced by two more. When it reaches that point it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This case has videos and if they want to crack them down, Nintendo pretty much goes after them which isn't the case as of yet. Photos are more difficult to crack down and at the same time more difficult to prove or disprove, dunno why people who believe in the leak just wave this issue of Nintendo's inaction as a non-issue. It is a point that while doesn't not make the leak fake, it doesn't make sense as I have said before this leak involves more parties than just Nintendo.
I guess so.

But as for images, if Nintendo, Sakurai, or the devs saw the Ken leak, they could easily prove it was of their game. No way someone makes something 1:1 to their stuff with dev tools and everything shown in the photo. And no one has said anything about if their system is automated.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Direct Thoughts:
  • Sakurai is totally a SNK fanboy. I don't think that it's hard to guess that Terry is his new main.
  • SNK was/seems surprisingly cooperative. It honestly makes me wonder what would have happened if Terry made it into the base game.
  • ^^Of the Fighters Pass characters, Terry might be the one to bet the most on returning in future titles.
  • I get the "fun to play over recognition" meme, but as a fan of many a de-confirmed character, I don't think it's as literal as he made it sound. Honestly it came off more as a jab at immature commenters when Terry was first announced. The entire Fighter's Pass was chosen off a list created by Nintendo's Board of Directors after all.
  • Kind of surprised we only got 3 SNK Mii Costumes. But then again who knows if we'll get more in the future.
  • The January Amiibo might be a good indication as to when Fighter 5 will be released. Though I still have a feeling we'll be waiting extra long for Fighter 5.
  • Personally I think we'll see Fighter 5 in the Q4 Nintendo Direct (Late Nov/Early December) rather than at the VG Awards.
  • We still have a Stage Select Screen to (hopefully) fill.
  • No information yet on post pass content.
  • Terry seems to have been recorded in early September, which means the reveals in the Banjo video were in early summer. Given we don't know the budget situation, I get the feeling we're getting post pass content in part because development time has been efficient.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Terry's super fun! Not sure how many people will like him though considering how much you get to play Wheel of Misinputs. lol

Also, the "Fatal Fury" series has more tracks than every other series in the game by a wide margin except for the Super Smash Bros., Super Mario, and "Other" series.

Also Also, poor Mai fans. They'll never be able to mention her again without people yelling about how disconfirmed she is. I mean, they already had to deal with the "too neked" argument, but it's gotta suck that she can't even cameo because of it. Hopefully this statement isn't perceived as me rubbing it in 'cuz that's not what I mean to do. Just...

F

something fun to talk about
*Incredibly amateurishly drawn Mario* "Better looking Mario."

Droodle

Smash Lord
Direct Thoughts:
  • Sakurai is totally a SNK fanboy. I don't think that it's hard to guess that Terry is his new main.
  • SNK was/seems surprisingly cooperative. It honestly makes me wonder what would have happened if Terry made it into the base game.
  • ^^Of the Fighters Pass characters, Terry might be the one to bet the most on returning in future titles.
  • I get the "fun to play over recognition" meme, but as a fan of many a de-confirmed character, I don't think it's as literal as he made it sound. Honestly it came off more as a jab at immature commenters when Terry was first announced. The entire Fighter's Pass was chosen off a list created by Nintendo's Board of Directors after all.
  • Kind of surprised we only got 3 SNK Mii Costumes. But then again who knows if we'll get more in the future.
  • The January Amiibo might be a good indication as to when Fighter 5 will be released. Though I still have a feeling we'll be waiting extra long for Fighter 5.
  • Personally I think we'll see Fighter 5 in the Q4 Nintendo Direct (Late Nov/Early December) rather than at the VG Awards.
  • We still have a Stage Select Screen to (hopefully) fill.
  • No information yet on post pass content.
  • Terry seems to have been recorded in early September, which means the reveals in the Banjo video were in early summer. Given we don't know the budget situation, I get the feeling we're getting post pass content in part because development time has been efficient.
I don't think that there is usually a general direct in Q4, unless you mean a Smash specific one. There is a Q1 direct usually though.

I've stated this before, but personally I think we'll see a direct in Q1 2020 that reveals FP 5, and then launches them in the same day/week.

I personally think we will not be getting a VGA reveal this time.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
If you ask me, this is the real sexism. Thoughts @Lesley Black Velvet ?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
Blame Cero. They're super ****ing weird for A rated games.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm divided on the Mii Hat videos not getting DMCA'd. On one hand, it IS strange that Nintendo has been inactive regarding the videos so far, but on the other hand, every other instance I can think of where Nintendo did take action, not only did those instances concern full game releases, but releases that were imminent at that. Pass #5 stuff like this would still probably be at least two months away, and it doesn't even show any potentially unrevealed characters. Another point of contention is the complete lack of a traceable origin for the posts beyond an anonymous 4chan user. Yes, the ESRB leak was also an anonymous post, but obviously the guilty party had some ties with ESRB's workforce.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Doesn't excuse sexism. Shulk is far more naked than Mai. Hell, Cammy's spirit is far more skimpy.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 is rated E10, and in the included digital art book, Cammy has a visible camel toe. Also in the 30th anniversary collection, in the bonus artwork, there are crudely drawn, but clear boobs and nipples on one of the Chun Li concept images. Still E10.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much what perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 said. Sakurai would have added Mai if CERO didn't block her off with their strange lingerie requirements. It's dumb but what can you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Personally, I'm divided on the Mii Hat videos not getting DMCA'd. On one hand, it IS strange that Nintendo has been inactive regarding the videos so far, but on the other hand, every other instance I can think of where Nintendo did take action, not only did those instances concern full game releases, but releases that were imminent at that. Pass #5 stuff like this would still probably be at least two months away, and it doesn't even show any potentially unrevealed characters.
You're kidding yourself if you think the implication isn't enough. It's clear as day that the fanbase assumes Doomguy is in because of this. That's more than enough for Nintendo to take action.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Fun fact: Sakurai also had to deal with CERO during Smash 4 in regards to Palutena.

I think if he was able to get away with it, Sakurai definitely would've put in Mai in some form, even if Bayonetta-esque adjustments would have to be made.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the Cacodemon/Mallow video, i just want to point out that if its real, it has to be based off an playtester video/internal materials. That would arguably be a much bigger deal than pre-street game leaks since these are external, whereas that video would mean that an internal breach is present and the possibility of more leaks is much bigger. The longer the video stays up there, the more likely it's not valid.

or

There's only 1 of these videos which make it much easier to shoot down compared to the tons of videos pre ultimate. Given how it gathered attention it only makes sense for Nintendo to take notice soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Direct Thoughts:
Sakurai is totally a SNK fanboy. I don't think that it's hard to guess that Terry is his new main.
I bet a part of Sakurai wishes he could've added Iori instead. But the bias only goes so far. ;P

SNK was/seems surprisingly cooperative. It honestly makes me wonder what would have happened if Terry made it into the base game.
^^Of the Fighters Pass characters, Terry might be the one to bet the most on returning in future titles.
Sakurai contacting SNK for Smash plays out in my head like when you DM a guy that your roommate will be gone all night.

I get the "fun to play over recognition" meme, but as a fan of many a de-confirmed character, I don't think it's as literal as he made it sound. Honestly it came off more as a jab at immature commenters when Terry was first announced. The entire Fighter's Pass was chosen off a list created by Nintendo's Board of Directors after all.
100% agreed. Keep in mind Sakurai also applied the comment to the likes of Samus and Terry, not "super niche Japan-only character" or whoever.

Kind of surprised we only got 3 SNK Mii Costumes. But then again who knows if we'll get more in the future.
I wonder what the repercussions of Heihachi's absence will be.

The January Amiibo might be a good indication as to when Fighter 5 will be released. Though I still have a feeling we'll be waiting extra long for Fighter 5.
Personally I think we'll see Fighter 5 in the Q4 Nintendo Direct (Late Nov/Early December) rather than at the VG Awards.
I think it's bold to assume there will be a Q4 Nintendo Direct. It's been a long time since we've had one (that wasn't game specific), even longer since we had one during a year there was also a fall Direct.

We still have a Stage Select Screen to (hopefully) fill.
Character 5 and then maybe an arrow, or a new row.

Terry seems to have been recorded in early September, which means the reveals in the Banjo video were in early summer. Given we don't know the budget situation, I get the feeling we're getting post pass content in part because development time has been efficient.
It speaks to how early getting post-pass characters was locked in, considering the announcement was filmed... in June, probably, when only a single pass character was out.

D

Deleted member

You're kidding yourself if you think the implication isn't enough. It's clear as day that the fanbase assumes Doomguy is in because of this. That's more than enough for Nintendo to take action.
Does Nintendo DMCA stuff outside of YouTube? I think the videos were uploaded off of YouTube

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Regarding the Cacodemon/Mallow video, i just want to point out that if its real, it has to be based off an playtester video/internal materials. That would arguably be a much bigger deal than pre-street game leaks since these are external, whereas that video would mean that an internal breach is present and the possibility of more leaks is much bigger. The longer the video stays up there, the more likely it's not valid.

There's only 1 of these videos which make it much easier to shoot down compared to the tons of videos pre ultimate. Given how it gathered attention it only makes sense for Nintendo to take notice soon.
I still don’t get why they didn’t DMCA Ken leak stuff, then.

It still technically doesn’t confirm either character (even if that’s the obvious conclusion).

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Final word on the issue: I'm glad that society is moving toward the realization that the mere existence of women's bodies are not sexually provocative.

U-turn!

As far as the absence of Heihachi's Mii costume goes, I believe that my signature is more accurate now than ever. ;)

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
There’s literally no way that leak is fake, we have proved that multiple times, and if it was another Bethesda character, the mii costume would be Doomguy himself, I doubt Sakurai would only go for a random enemy as doom representation for something as iconic as doom, I really think doom guys in
Even if the costume leak is real, which I honestly believe it is, that does not at all mean Doomguy is a lock for playable. As I explained earlier in the thread Doomguy being the Mascot of Doom is actually a really new thing. For all of Classic, it was the Cacodemon even by the fanbase. We always get more than one Mii costume so it could easily be something like Elder Scrolls rep (with 8 different looks like the Koopalings. Maybe like Redguard, Imperial, Nord, Argonian , Khajiit, High Elf, Dark Elf, Orc) with Doomguy, Cacodemon, Commander Keen, Daedric Armor, Imperial Guard Armor as Mii costumes. And that is just off the top of my head really.

D

Deleted member

The videos are on Youtube but were originally uploaded as a webm on 4chan. Worth noting that yes, the ESRB mirrors were also taken down.
Man it's been a while since the ESRB. That was the video of Bowser Jr. and Ganon right? How quick were they to take that down?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the leak is real and Nintendo is smart, they'd just leave it up. Taking it down would give evidence towards its legitimacy that it could never achieve in its current situation.

But they seem to care more about purging leaked content than leaving a shadow of a doubt.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I keep seeing things on the “leak” about how Nintendo haven’t taken it down therefor it must be fake.

Guess the picture of Ken, pichu, ivysaur, and Pac-Man a year ago was fake too! They never deleted the Ken leak. Just saying, if that’s your reason for “fake” you better find better evidence.

that being said, I never believed it. So cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom