• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I am just arguing that SNK is obscure. Someone challenged me on it and I defended myself. Man you guys are dickless assholes. This is why I don't post on here. I wish I could meet you losers in real life. You wouldn't dare spit the **** you do at me internet tough guys.
I wish I could meet you in real life so you wouldn't be able to ignore everything I said.
BTW, you guys act like I don't know video games. Look at my join date:

August 2, 2007

Look at my number of messages.
*Doesn't know about one of the seminal fighting game franchises*
*Joined one site in 2007*
Well yeah guys clearly that's conclusive evidence that he knows his ****.

Now tell me more about them Zelda platformers.

volbound1700

Smash Master
There’s a bunch of less than pleasant people here so I’m not defending them but snk is not that obscure, most people grew up playing metal slug, if you were into fighting games you knew about all their fighters and if you weren’t then you didn’t, like it is with most fighting games. Obscurity is not objective here though, if you were into fighting games you definitely know them. If you’re in japan you probably give two ****s about rayman. Depends on what metric you’re trying to play with.
I appreciate the maturity of your post first off. I liked fighting games. I had an NES a Sega Genesis as a kid. I played Mortal Kombat. All of the kids were into Mortal Kombat as a fighting game. I also had a friend that had Street Fighter II and I played it. I thought SF II had more modes than MK and I really liked it. I also played Tekken. So yes, I played fighting games.

I never knew the Neo-Geo existed. I loosely recognize the names of some of these games but they were not that popular in my area. We had Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft as consoles. Outside of those big 4, anything else is obscure. Heck Nintendo even struggled in the Gamecube era. Sega went out. It was primarily Microsoft and Sony.

Feel free to move this discussion to private message. I don't want to post in this thread anymore.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
There’s a bunch of less than pleasant people here so I’m not defending them but snk is not that obscure, most people grew up playing metal slug, if you were into fighting games you knew about all their fighters and if you weren’t then you didn’t, like it is with most fighting games.
In the end, whether or not the games themselves can be considered obscure, SNK as a whole was extremely prominent and an icon of the 90s simply by virtue of the MVS cabinets themselves. Regardless of what was loaded on them, those things were ubiquitous, and you'd encounter them constantly. Laundromat? Corner store? Community center? Grocery store? Look in the corner, and there was probably a Big Red sitting there.

The only other arcade cabinet I think may have rivaled its presence is Street Fighter II (with Ms. Pac Man and some Midway racing games trailing pretty far behind).

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
BTW, you guys act like I don't know video games. Look at my join date:

August 2, 2007

Look at my number of messages.
Neither of those things means anything. It simply means you joined a Smash-Centric Message Boards in 2007 and post a lot. Neither of those things means you a) know video games or b) don't have a bad opinion/attitude.
I mean, I joined in 2013, but I'm probably older than you are, based on how you post at least, and have been playing video games since I was 4 years old. Just because something is obscure to you doesn't mean its obscure to everyone nor that its not important to gaming history, it simply means its not something that managed to cross your path is all.
Even Sakurai in his DIRECT acknowledged that SNK is obscure. Let that sink in!!! How are my arguments wrong? It is the classic sheep attitude of young people today. Let's all be wrong together and since there are a bunch of us we must be correct.

Honestly, I trust Sakurai and appreciate him that Terry is a good character. I haven't tried him yet. Watching show with my wife while my Switch is downloading the DLC.

I will just stop posting on here. You guys are too immature to even have a conversation with and I am just making trouble for the mods by posting here. I will save them the trouble of disciplining us all and step out.
'Young People' 'Immature'..and how old are you..exactly?
I mean, its funny since a lot of the older gamers amongst Smash Bros. fans are the ones actually aware of who Terry is, what Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters are, and say its the 'kids' that don't know who Terry/SNK is. Back in the 90s, SNK was a big name in the Arcades, but if you primarily played games on Consoles, than it would make sense that you didn't know the name since, unlike Capcom, a lot of their console ports weren't widely recieved. They were still a big enough deal that they teamed with Capcom for a ton of Capcom vs SNK and SNK vs Capcom games.

Ironically, a lot of people would call the likes of Rayman and Crash Bandicoot obscure (the latter expecially if not for well done Remasters).

I appreciate the maturity of your post first off. I liked fighting games. I had an NES a Sega Genesis as a kid. I played Mortal Kombat. All of the kids were into Mortal Kombat as a fighting game. I also had a friend that had Street Fighter II and I played it. I thought SF II had more modes than MK and I really liked it. I also played Tekken. So yes, I played fighting games.

I never knew the Neo-Geo existed. I loosely recognize the names of some of these games but they were not that popular in my area. We had Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft as consoles. Outside of those big 4, anything else is obscure. Heck Nintendo even struggled in the Gamecube era. Sega went out. It was primarily Microsoft and Sony.

Feel free to move this discussion to private message. I don't want to post in this thread anymore.
Kids in the West were playing Mortal Kombat..it didn't really catch on in places like Japan, Latin America, and China..those places preferred the SNK Fighters, along with Capcom's.

And like I said, SNK was a bigger name in the Arcades, not really the home ports, so if you only played Fighters on console, that would be why you didn't really know SNK.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well SNK has been making games since 1978 so clearly they're doing something right.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well SNK has been making games since 1978 so clearly they're doing something right.
So long as you ignore the time they went bankrupt ;)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Kids in the West were playing Mortal Kombat..it didn't really catch on in places like Japan, Latin America, and China..those places preferred the SNK Fighters, along with Capcom's.

And like I said, SNK was a bigger name in the Arcades, not really the home ports, so if you only played Fighters on console, that would be why you didn't really know SNK.
Oh without a doubt, I'm familiar with the Latin America public and KOF is big, is known among many dedicated players (specially the ones that played arcades).

NoBS

Smash Apprentice

MK and Tekken weren’t exactly for people into fighting games, fighting game fans are into them as well but there is also a large audience for those games that don’t play any other fighting games, for example MK was 90s edgy with all the blood and gore and how they did their graphics, there wasn’t quite anything like it so a lot of people did play it but not for being in the fighting game scene people for example. When I say into fighting games I mean enjoy fighting games for the mechanics and competitive edge that playing casually with friends doesn’t give you. Like if you were pretty good at SF it would be legitimately weird if you don’t know SNK.

As I said though metal slug was on like everything over the years, most people know of it/have played it. It’s been released and released countless times on Nintendo consoles as well.

Neo geo didn’t sell that well if I recall so I don’t expect you to know it, it was expensive.

I think I’ve said all that needs to be said so we don’t have to keep going.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The notion that KoF is obscure in the US is bull**** to me, anyone who walked into an arcade in the 90s would have found several SNK fighters. Sure, the NEO-GEO was prohibitively expensive and not really successful, but it was still known for being the arcade-perfect console.

People who defend SNK solely by appealing to Japan, China and LatAm are going about it the wrong way imo. No need to move the goalposts to explain Terry.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The notion that KoF is obscure in the US is bull**** to me, anyone who walked into an arcade in the 90s would have found several SNK fighters. Sure, the NEO-GEO was prohibitively expensive and not really successful, but it was still known for being the arcade-perfect console.

People who defend SNK solely by appealing to Japan, China and LatAm are going about it the wrong way imo. No need to move the goalposts to explain Terry.
I think people doing that are meaning that those territories are the ones that kept SNK as a big name.
But yes, Arcades were huge for SNK games and I've continued to see them just about everywhere even today. Even some campgrounds I've been to that had arcades had SNK games still.
The issue is mostly that arcades essentially died out in the West, more so than other territories, so SNK became more obscure as a result.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I remember walking into laundromats as a kid plenty of snk stuff SNK is the arcade king in my opinion doesn't really matter what anyone thinks they have a legacy they earned there spot nuff said agree or don't

Plank08

Smash Lord
I really hope Doomslayer gets in... everything seems to be pointing in his favor, and I don’t want anyone to tell me to “hype responsibly” He’s in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really hope Doomslayer gets in... everything seems to be pointing in his favor, and I don’t want anyone to tell me to “hype responsibly” He’s in.
Which is why I suggest saying he's not the next fighter to save yourself the disappointment.

If not 5th hopefully post-Pass.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the issue here is that people are confusing "obscure" with "generational".

Kids these days don't know SNK games(well, until now. Thanks again Sakurai). But most middle-aged gamers(which are probably half of Smash's audience), at least recognize the characters, even if they didn't play the games.

That's not being obscure though. Obscure is only being recognized by a small portion of ANY age group.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Triple posting
Which is why I suggest saying he's not the next fighter to save yourself the disappointment.

If not 5th hopefully post-Pass.
Yeah, I don’t know when he’s getting in(although #5 seems like a very safe bet) but he’s getting in, and this is just great, I already got one of my top 10 in the game

As much I would've liked Mai as Terry's alt costume I do understand why. You got draw the limit somewhere for an E10+ game, even with DLC. That probably means that KOS-MOS and Laura Croft may be out of the question.

I did like that he made it funny. People are already over that "Smash is for the good little boys and girls" quote on Twitter and most has been pretty funny surprisingly. I'm surprised no one hasn't used it in a creepy way yet.
Nah Lara’s fine

The Namco rep will probably be Heihachi but I want it to be the Solaire from Dark souls instead

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There's a reason why people say that. Case in point, the aftermath of the Grinch leak.

PS: Double posting is not allowed, let alone triple posting.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So long as you ignore the time they went bankrupt ;)
Well they've gone bankrupt at least once, so clearly they did something wrong.
Pft, going bankrupt is like, the mid-point in every Japanese company's life.

They should bust a wolf.
And yet they're still around in 2019, so clearly they did something right.
Something about this seems familiar...

blackghost

Smash Champion
some people REALLY overestimate MKs place in the history of fighting games. That game was famous for fatalities and causing the US to implement the ESRB. Other than that MK was kinda the red-haired stepchild of fighting games. after its first three entrants it went 3d with mostly negative results and it wasnt until recent releases MK was even a decent fighting game.
MK has historically had awful animations of its characters and highly questionable balance decisions. It has made weird decisions such as fireballs not clashing in its games and using a block button in a 2d game. Additionally, MKhas never been big outside of the US and maybe europe. TO compare its impact with SNKwho has all of the KOF and connected series in addition to cvs 1 and 2 (capcom vs snk), samurai showdown, and is responsible for numerous mechanics and design choices (not to mention character design trops) SK games are huge.

i dont expect Tekken to get in during the fighters pass Heihachi would be a welcome addition though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kind of late, but I updated the thread poll. Will give my full thoughts on Terry/stuff going forward later.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was surprised by the lack of Kyo Mii Costume, more after seeing one for Iori. It's very strange.

Who knows maybe he will be a playable character... I don't think so but that would be cool.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I was surprised by the lack of Kyo Mii Costume, more after seeing one for Iori. It's very strange.

Who knows maybe he will be a playable character... I don't think so but that would be cool.
Sakurai's cool and all but I'm slandering that man til the day I die for the Kyo roast, trolling me with the start of Terry's reveal trailer and his comment about Iori, on GOD.

Don't worry, it's not that serious lol.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm genuinely curious why you believe that he's in.
Like, I get thinking he's likely or possible, but aside from a possibly faked leak, I haven't seen any clues to his inclusion. Granted, I also don't know how well DOOM has done in Japan, which I feel is at least a little important.
I mean, I could say similar things for Sora, but I don't see it as a definitive 'he's in' thing.
FIRE! FIRE! PSYCHO SOLDIER!

Found my new favorite remix of this set.
It was my favorite from the outset..I adore Athena Asamiya & Psycho Soldier. Coincidentally, my second favorite track included today is the one from Athena since I love Asamiya's ancestor's game just as much.

D019

Smash Cadet
Searching on smash bros blog page and found this, does that meant KoF stadium is free for version 6.0 or just a typo?
meanwhile in version 5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Searching on smash bros blog page and found this, does that meant KoF stadium is free for version 6.0 or just a typo?
meanwhile in version 5
Would be shocked if it's not a typo

Plank08

Smash Lord
I'm genuinely curious why you believe that he's in.
Like, I get thinking he's likely or possible, but aside from a possibly faked leak, I haven't seen any clues to his inclusion. Granted, I also don't know how well DOOM has done in Japan, which I feel is at least a little important.
I mean, I could say similar things for Sora, but I don't see it as a definitive 'he's in' thing.

It was my favorite from the outset..I adore Athena Asamiya & Psycho Soldier. Coincidentally, my second favorite track included today is the one from Athena since I love Asamiya's ancestor's game just as much.
There’s literally no way that leak is fake, we have proved that multiple times, and if it was another Bethesda character, the mii costume would be Doomguy himself, I doubt Sakurai would only go for a random enemy as doom representation for something as iconic as doom, I really think doom guys in

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's been a little over 12 hours, here's my thoughts for what transpired today

Overall, I'm excited. It may not have been worth getting up at 5AM, but that's whatever at this point.

The love for Terry and the Neo Geo was great. Really excited to give him a try when I have time.

I was absolutely Stoked about the 50 tracks. As the presentation was going on I noticed that they were showcasing a lot of music, I knew he was going to get a ton of music and that makes me happy (especially since I hope for a certain Shrine maiden with a leaked music list gets in)

As for the Elephant in the room, I'm 100% thinking the Mii leak is fake. I feel if they were true, they would have been DMCA'd by now.

Really excited to see Fighter 5 now~

toonito

Smash Ace
post livestream thoughts:

terry is dope: my favorite character from the pass

thanks sakurai and the dev team for your work

the work that has gone into the DLC, especially Terry, makes me look forward to more 3rd parties getting in smash

no garou costume but we got a color alt

king got a cameo! yes her ryo and joe was my team growing up

iirc terry introduced the 1st charge move in smash so guile (current assist trophy) and chun-li (first lady of fighting games) chances in a future smash game went up

due to CERO mai got sidelined and so did my elena thread lmao cleavage and panties/exposed legs = no dice

i predict FP5 releases in January iirc a DLC fighter has released same month as an amiibo wave

when it comes to namco it comes down to lloyd vs heihachi (KOS-MOS as a dark horse)

i initially had resident evil as the final rep but now im just a passenger on sakurai's wild ride

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Well she was never going to get in over Terry and its unlikely they're going to include another SNK character (and if they did, I'd honestly want Athena Asamiya), so its literally better than nothing..and its only 'life as a Mii Fighter' for this single game..
Nakoruru deserves better.

Or you could be Kyo, where Sakurai gives a brief summary on you despite being the main protagonist, roasts you, and doesnt even make you a Mii Costume
Better than being deconfirmed as a possible playable character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think Nintendo always DMCA's leaks.

They seem to never bother with image leaks, and there's this gameplay leak from before Ultimate's release that was never taken down:

They may have shown Galeem themselves, but not his boss fight, and the guy who uploaded it made a comment with the list of bosses and pinned it.

I will say, however, that I did see people saying that some tweets with links to the videos of the recent leak, or the videos themselves, were taken down, but I don't know if this is true tbh.

This is how I see it; either:

1. Their system is automated and sucks half the time/they didn't prepare it for this stuff very well.

or

2. They're incredibly slow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom