• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I will only ever support Doom Bloke getting in if it comes with them canonizing an actual name for him.

Like... Gary... Or Brendan. Or... Dweezil, or something.
I mean, Guy can be a legitimate name on its own.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Re: DOOM's name

His name has gotta be Doomslayer. Its cemented thanks to the introduction the evil forces of hell give him (36 seconds in) :

now is it gonna be one word or two words

D

Deleted member

I think Doomslayer has decent chances. I was more confident about him being in this pass a few weeks ago, but now I think FP5 will be a Namco character or maybe a Capcom one, maybe Resident Evil.
The last one really has to be from an established company already in the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm just gonna support Travis Touchdown as fighter 5. This is not based on any evidence or patterns or anything, really. I just feel like it'd be funny if he was the one who prevailed over everyone else that is heavily speculated.
He got deconfirmed for the Pass, but since NMH3 is in the development, and so is new DLC, i'm putting him high up

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Then why also add the Cacodemon? I get your idea, but Sans was only 1 costume. Can't see why you'd go to Bethesda (or whoever holds the rights) and only ask for two mii costumes and maybe a song or two.
That's because we're getting Dragonborn instead!

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
So...what is everyone's opinion on Doom Slayer's chances (tbh I never like the name Doomguy and Slayer is more fitting)

Mine's...around 75%.
In likely a surprise to everyone here I have to give him around a 50% chance if the Mii costume leak is real if it is not it drops to 35% at best. I really do think that a Bethesda/ID software character is very likely, like 95% likely, just for the company alone; I just think that it's more likely to be Elder Scrolls with Doomguy and Caco being costumes. Less controversy and messiness with gore and hell imagery.

D

Deleted member

*doom noises*
*running*
DID SOMEONE SAY DOOMGU FOR SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Calm down. Don't set your hypes too high yet. We still have no word from the higher-ups about that leak so it's best to hype responsibly or you'll get severelt disappointed in the end.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I know his name is Doom Slayer but calling him Doom Guy is hilarious in a casual sort of way. He's a guy who fights doom. You don't need to know his name, all you need to know is that he is angry.

Onto the "Evidence" that I have for him.

Bethesda talking to Nintendo
Mass advertising of Doom this year
"More surprises for Nintendo fans" - Pete Hines
Hiring "voices" for heavy metal choir in a "video game"

... Oh and I guess the Mii hat if that turns out to be true which it almost certainly looks like it is. Just have to wait for Fighter 5 to see if this is real.

However despite all of that, all of this could fall apart in an instant if he is not Fighter 5 so I'm giving him the same chance as you. 75%
He was called Doomguy a long time before Doom Slayer was even a thing, right? That name's classic, I love it.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
In likely a surprise to everyone here I have to give him around a 50% chance if the Mii costume leak is real if it is not it drops to 35% at best. I really do think that a Bethesda/ID software character is very likely, like 95% likely, just for the company alone; I just think that it's more likely to be Elder Scrolls with Doomguy and Caco being costumes. Less controversy and messiness with gore and hell imagery.
Ah yes generic Elder Scrolls Man should be in over a angry green guy that kills demons to metal music

KillerCage

Smash Master
Are you talking about this video?

Because if so then Heihachi is only slightly more complex than Terry. Special cancelling, dodge attacks, and a rage based super move are already in Terry's moveset. The only huge difference is Heihachi's limb based tilt system, which in my opinion would be fun a lot since it opens a huge garden of a combo game. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Terry has been the most fun DLC character so far for me, and I feel like there is more that Sakurai can do to innovate Smash's combat and give it some twists. And in my opinion Heihachi is the character that can raise the bar even higher.
That is the video I was talking about and that limb-based tilt system he suggested appeared MORE complex than Terry's inputs.
Having the tilt input in datum with button input dictate what attack Heihachi uses would make him very difficult for me to play with.
I do agree that Terry is very fun to play with, but his inputs are restricted to directional and button combinations.

But Doom Slayer is a good boy. He cleans out hell and makes earth safe.
We can have a potential pope in Smash!

So...what is everyone's opinion on Doom Slayer's chances (tbh I never like the name Doomguy and Slayer is more fitting)

Mine's...around 75%.
Doom Slayer/Doomguy's chances are pretty good, but I am going to give him a 70% chance of making it in.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Also, this is awesome, Terry is really fun to play and has some awesome combos, his stage is awesome, the music is godlike, and Geno and Doomslayer are still in the running
I love Sakurai and smash bros so much

Plank08

Smash Lord
Honestly, even though I don’t want some characters, if Doomslayer gets in as FP5 and Geno gets in as well I wouldn’t really get upset at character reveals, even if I don’t want them.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Elder Scrolls makes more sense anyway, albeit for different reasons!

- It is Bethesda's home grown franchise, and what made them so successful. Meanwhile Doom was acquired.

- It was the second game shown off for the Switch and used to advertise third party support.

- The Elder Scrolls is also celebrating its' 25th year, not just Doom.

- Bethesda's been promoting Elder Scrolls Blades for Switch.

- It has ties to Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild was heavily inspired by the TES series. Meanwhile Skyrim on Switch had Nintendo exclusive features, including motion controls, Amiibo support, and Zelda-themed items.

- To tie into the last point, the Zelda items were apparently Todd Howard's idea, implying that he likes or at least has a good interest in Nintendo. So if Nintendo was going to do negotiations with Bethesda then Todd would definitely want to be there. And in the company his word is as important as Pete Hines'.

- Skyrim was the first Western game to get a 40/40 on Famitsu. It's no Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest but Japanese players love the series, and there are tons of Japanese roleplay videos for the game. There's also a decent amount of Japanese popularity for ESO. Meanwhile, while it still has some fans over in Japan, Doom ticks most of the boxes to not be popular in Japan. The Green Samus and Pacific Rim quotes sum it up, even if subjective.

- The Elder Scrolls outsells Doom by a longshot. Skyrim sold 33 million (4 times as much as the entire Doom franchise), Oblivion sold 9.8 million, and Morrowind sold 4 million. The gap will narrow a little bit when Eternal is released but the point still stands.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who'd want to see either Heihachi AND/OR TJ Combo in Smash?
You're not... I've been hyping Heihachi (or a Soul Calibur rep) for forever. This is an old yet applicable quote of mine for why I think he has a shot:

Namco Bandai has a healthy relationship with Smash Bros. and Nintendo (as a whole), to say the least.

-He had a Mii costume in Smash 4 that is still mysteriously absent for some reason.

-Tekken is as popular/influential to the 3D genre of fighters as Street Fighter is to the 2D genre.

-It'd be a nice tribute since his Japanese VA passed away.

-He was already playable in a different platform fighting game; his moveset can definitely work in Smash as well.

-The man has already crossed paths with Ryu and Ken, a Final Fantasy character, a Metal Gear character, Pacman, and a Fatal Fury character. He has also already been in the same game as Link. Aside from that, he fights ninjas, robot girls, kangaroos, dinosaurs, etc. on the regular; he'd fit right in with Smash Bros.

-He was considered by Sakurai before. Whether he proved difficult to implement at the time or not, this is a different game and characters who were previously considered too hard to implement are now playable (see: Ridley, e.g.).

I'm also down for a KI rep like TJ, Orchid, Jago, or Fulgore. And I'm especially down for an ArcSys rep.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
You're not... I've been hyping Heihachi (or a Soul Calibur rep) for forever. This is an old yet applicable quote of mine for why I think he has a shot:

I'm also down for a KI rep like TJ, Orchid, Jago, or Fulgore. And I'm especially down for an ArcSys rep.
Isn't Killer Instinct owned by Rare, which is Owned By Microsoft; and didn't Microsoft already give Nintendo the permission to add Banjo & Kazooie to smash? I'm not sure they'd be quite as OK with them asking for TJ Combo, as well as KI Stage, and Songs like Back to Rise, and KI Mii Fighter Costumes alongside Banjo & Kazooie, their stage & their series' music; I'm not sure they'd be as A-OK with giving them both access to KI Characters, Music, & Outfits & the Bear & Bird, alongside Music & Stage. . .

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Terry looks freaking amazing and with 50 songs as well, that is quite a lot glad they put in a bunch of non-KOF and Fatal Fury songs as well.. He looks like he is an instant Top Tier to be honest I really love the way they incorporated all of the various moves, his recovery looks good lots of ways to get back on stage.

Also while I think a lot of people aren't going to like it; I think that comment about Mai Shiranui basically kills Doom Slayers' chances. If they couldn't get Mai in the background they sure aren't doing Doom Slayer as a playable character.
I feel like being sexy and violent are two different things entirely, Ridley can literally impale Kirby and Pichu and get away with it

Plank08

Smash Lord
Why would they put the rip and tear stuff in the game even if it wasn't a rating thing, do you actually think Nintendo wants any character ripping Mario in half?
They could always just not have Doomslayer actually cut them in half, if hit by the chainsaw they could just get hit repeatedly
Nakoruru's in KoF14 as a playable character so that's not right. Rock as an adult already goes against the timeline so I'm kinda surprised they didn't pull her out for the stage. At least she has one of the best remixes of the SNK batch
I highly doubt she originated from it though, she’s a SamSho Character first and foremost

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They could always just not have Doomslayer actually cut them in half, if hit by the chainsaw they could just get hit repeatedly

I highly doubt she originated from it though, she’s a SamSho Character first and foremost
Yeah but Athena's from Psycho Soldier. Nakoruru's popular enough to get a costume, when Kyo, the protagonist of KoF, couldn't even get one

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
neither of those costumes are the character's iconic look. mai has a definite default look and Sakurai as a rather huge fan of KOF isnt gonna change it. no character in smash goes by an alternate costume.
So you think a huge fan of KoF would rather an iconic character like Mai be left out entirely instead of alter their design slightly?

You and I understand fandom very differently.

Dang. That wall thing in the King of Fighters stage is a great idea. I wish all walk off stages had them.
Completely agree. I wish it was something you could toggle.

Lmao SNK are almost as cheap as Capcom when it comes to licensing judging by all their ****. At most, the agreement for the 50 songs costs a beer with Sakurai
I think what it "costs" is Smash Bros. being 100x more popular than any of their properties and it all being essentially free advertising.

He was called Doomguy a long time before Doom Slayer was even a thing, right? That name's classic, I love it.
Yeah, Doom Slayer was a new thing with, like, the 2016 game.

I prefer Doom Slayer though because it has a little in-series significance now. Doomguy was always just kinda a fan nickname for a character that never really had any kind of name in the games before.

I just noticed that Nakoruru doesn't even show up in the background of the stage
I'd argue that having a Mii costume and a Spirit battle is better.

Lots of those background characters didn't even get Spirits. Not even sure why, unless there's some arbitrary limit on Spirits. Weird that we got 50 songs and only, like, 10 Spirits...

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
King of Fighters is inherently a crossover.
Ralf & Clark and Athena aren't originally even from fighting games.

I think what it "costs" is Smash Bros. being 100x more popular than any of their properties and it all being essentially free advertising.
Yeah, given how frequent SNK has been pushing guest characters recently, they seem to be very keen to build their name back up. So jumping on anything that puts them in the spotlight is likely their primary goal right now.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
An amazing Pipe Dream would be TJ Combo from Killer Instinct. . . though Since Rare already has the Bear & Bird in Smash; and the fact his Last Breath Mechanic would be an utter gamebreaker(I.E. Too OP). . . I'm not holding my breath;

Speaking of TJ Combo; someone should REALLY Make a Thread for his Inclusion; does anyone have any ideas for a good tagline for TJ Combo to use for a thread supporting his inclusion. . .

I.E. Banjo & Kazooie get jiggy with it; Geno Shoots for the Stars, Terry faces the Fury. . . etc

Plank08

Smash Lord
So I have another game, it’s a little more complex then my other ones but I think you guys can follow it:
You guys know how pretty much every Dlc fighter has been very good? If a new dlc fighter got in(it could be anyone you want) why would they be broken?(or at least high tier)
I’ll start, Doomslayer would be good because he would be very fast and his moves would hit like trucks, plus his guns give him good range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom