• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
idk if decrying Doomguy and then supporting Lara Croft is consistent when her signature weapon is dual pistols lol I do think a good takeaway though is that he's prioritizing fun movesets over popularity which helps underdog characters like Reimu or KOS-MOS.

Edit: And to be honest, I support that 100% because just throwing out hitboxes that look different but function the same as 5 other characters on the roster is just fanservice and not really "fun". Before this DLC I only vaguely knew about Terry and could recognize him, but after playing him a little, I think he's pretty darn fun. So even though I wasn't a fan of his previously, I'll still get something out of him because he's so well-designed.
laura signature weapons have been duel pistols this is true but she has always been mid to close range in her games combat. her pistols are much closer to joker than anything else. dooom guy would be throwing out projectiles at the speed of bayo neutral b and a lot more of them.

plus is laura got in theres a strong chance she'd have her updated look and gameplay which uses bow and arrows much more than pistols.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
His biggest competition being Ridge Racer V Cover Girl and Car.

Starting the post-pass prediction game strong I see?

The fact that the Heihachi Mii is ATM missing as a paid Mii Outfit despite the fact we got other fighting game characters from different companies makes me think Heihachi has a very good shot at DLC. I think he makes the most sense as a second Bamco rep as he is the second most iconic character from Bamco after Pac and Bamco needs should get at least 1 unique newcomer as every other company in the base game got one additional unique rep except from Capcom but Ken is pretty unique and they are helping with the game
There is still this interview back in Smash 4 that could spell trouble but it all depends if Sakurai and Nintendo's view has changed..

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/
Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…

blackghost

Smash Champion
There is Mai's Fatal Fury 3 desgin

Or her kimono which tends to pop up in animations.

Aside from showing cleavage and bounce, her normal clothes aren't that different from Lyn's.

Moving on, it's really cool to see each DLC series get so much love. The Persona content was hype and it's been outdone with the SNK stuff. I hope this continues with the post pass characters.
neither of those costumes are the character's iconic look. mai has a definite default look and Sakurai as a rather huge fan of KOF isnt gonna change it. no character in smash goes by an alternate costume.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Feel like it's worth noting that Heihachi is still a part of Pac-Man's taunt last I checked.
Yes, it's a creative design decision with Pac-Man as stated by Sakurai. I believe it was a new addition for Super Smash Bros Ultimate since Heihachi didn't appear as part of Pac-Man's taunt for Super Smash Bros For Wii U/3DS. Similar to the creative design decision of the Fatal Fury series track listing contains songs from all across SNK's history (Fatal Fury: King of Fighters, The King of Fighters, Alpha Mission, Ikari Warriors, Athena, Psycho Soldier, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug)

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/

Sakurai: The employees from Namco were surprised and overjoyed when they were notified of Pac-man’s inclusion. “I can’t believe you made Pac-man look this good!” they said.

Interviewer: Wait, so you didn’t include him just because of the Namco connection?

Sakurai: Pac-man’s design was updated in a 2013 CGI cartoon titled, “Pac-man and the Ghostly Adventures.” This new design has been used in a variety of products. But in the end I felt that his old-school design was better, and used that in the design plan. If that was rejected, I thought about dropping Pac-man altogether.

Interviewer: I really like how even his movement is full of references.

Sakurai: You might call him a hybrid, but he’s not just Pac-man– I think he ended up also representing all of the great parts of Namco as well.

Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm sure Wario having the biker outfit by default surprised a lot of people.
it did but that was his current costume through wario ware at the time he was added. now its just smash tradition that wario wears that. mai wore those costumes for one game 15(?) years ago and then it was changed back.

the bright side of this whole debate has given us absolute proof mai is sexier than bayonetta.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Starting the post-pass prediction game strong I see?

There is still this interview back in Smash 4 that could spell trouble but it all depends if Sakurai and Nintendo's view has changed..

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/
Yeah but I think Sakurai may have worked it out since then. Feliciafan1 made a moveset for Heihachi and the gimmick was bringing Tekken to smash so it probably could work

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's a creative design decision with Pac-Man as stated by Sakurai. I believe it was a new addition for Super Smash Bros Ultimate since Heihachi didn't appear as part of Pac-Man's taunt for Super Smash Bros For Wii U/3DS. Similar to the creative design decision of the Fatal Fury series track listing contains songs from all across SNK's history (Fatal Fury: King of Fighters, The King of Fighters, Alpha Mission, Ikari Warriors, Athena, Psycho Soldier, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug)

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/

Sakurai: The employees from Namco were surprised and overjoyed when they were notified of Pac-man’s inclusion. “I can’t believe you made Pac-man look this good!” they said.

Interviewer: Wait, so you didn’t include him just because of the Namco connection?

Sakurai: Pac-man’s design was updated in a 2013 CGI cartoon titled, “Pac-man and the Ghostly Adventures.” This new design has been used in a variety of products. But in the end I felt that his old-school design was better, and used that in the design plan. If that was rejected, I thought about dropping Pac-man altogether.

Interviewer: I really like how even his movement is full of references.

Sakurai: You might call him a hybrid, but he’s not just Pac-man– I think he ended up also representing all of the great parts of Namco as well.

Cries in Lloyd

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I think Agumon can be in smash, maybe not as the 5th challenger.

Each dlc's got something unique, Joker's gauge, Hero's mana and multi skills, Terry and its increasing power with damages...

The digivolution can bring something interesting in the game
I'm right there with you on the Agumon train, but his inclusion would honestly be the most surprising development of Ultimate for me so far.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Well terry feels amazing I love his design, feels like we got a bit of fighting arcade history today.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah but I think Sakurai may have worked it out since then. Feliciafan1 made a moveset for Heihachi and the gimmick was bringing Tekken to smash so it probably could work
Us fans probably could think of something but making the moves and implementing them into the game all comes down to Sakurai and he doesn't always think like us. What may seem easy for us maybe a lot more difficult for him and his team to implement properly.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
*Points to Virtua Fighter* and who was expecting Lloyd outfit to return? I haven't really heard anyone say that
Sorry, I was sinply referring to the fact that Sakurai said “there were none” when asked about other potential Namco reps, though that could have assuredly changed by now.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Us fans probably could think of something but making the moves and implementing them into the game all comes down to Sakurai and he doesn't always think like us. What may seem easy for us maybe a lot more difficult for him and his team to implement properly.
All we can do is speculate amirite?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Whenever someone spells Lara Croft's name with a U, a part of me dies inside.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You want supposed iconic characters, but you also want more Nintendo characters at the same time? The last of the iconic Nintendo characters got in with Isabelle. Now we’re just left with B-list (& Below) side characters or main characters from niche games.
Yes? I have different criteria for 1st and 3rd party characters. I personally want Smash to be more NIntendo focused so I want more 1st party characters. And to that end, the 3rd parties that ARE included I would like to be only the most iconic characters. Farmer Pete from Story of Seasons is my big exception to that, but Smash clearly isn't choosing characters based on the criteria I would prefer anyway, so it doesn't really matter either way.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So, we banking on a VGA reveal for Fighter 5 or a January Direct reveal? If it's the former, I'd wonder if it HAS to be a big name despite them not ending Smash reveals on the most hype choices, and not like, Rhythm Heaven or something.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
So, we banking on a VGA reveal for Fighter 5 or a January Direct reveal? If it's the former, I'd wonder if it HAS to be a big name despite them not ending Smash reveals on the most hype choices, and not like, Rhythm Heaven or something.
If we've learned anything, it's to not bank on anything.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm on the latter, mostly because Sakurai doesn't like being predictable. Having it happen at game awards 2x in a row would be pretty obvious, the only exception to this in my opinion is E3.

I could see a January reveal in a direct, and then they immediately drop the presentation and the character right after.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I'm on the latter, mostly because Sakurai doesn't like being predictable. Having it happen at game awards 2x in a row would be pretty obvious, the only exception to this in my opinion is E3.

I could see a January reveal in a direct, and then they immediately drop the presentation and the character right after.
Actually, thinking about it, if these presentations are recorded like a month in advance, then, yeah they can pretty much drop them almost whenever they want.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Dang. That wall thing in the King of Fighters stage is a great idea. I wish all walk off stages had them.

D

Deleted member

I'll drop the CERO topic since pretty much its a theory that might not pan out, but given the circumstances I'll guess we'll find out sooner or later how pointless my point was.

Anyways, If fighter 5 is on TGA I'm feeling either Dante or Jill. If its outside the TGAs, either surprise direct in between now and TGA or in a January/February direct, I'm guessing Bamco.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Probably the best direct for any one character. Sakurai got to nerd out for a while about a franchise he's passionate about and really got to show off a character he has a strong connection with. No real Mii Slaughter so to speak but was not so surprised to see returning costumes in addition to the new ones. Crap load of music which is awesome as I love Smash music (The remixes tend to be so darned good). Now to wait patiently for info on the last fighter for this pass. At least now I can learn a character who looks like he's going to be a whole lot of fun to learn and play and give me a small break from the Pac-Attack.

Also Incineroar buffs. It's early Christmas for me!

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I got to respond to these.

I'm sorry, Color Theory? Is this some new Chair Theory?
"Color Theory" has been around since E3.
The theory goes with the idea that each of the first six DLC characters (Piranha Plant and the Fighters' Pass challengers) will have a different colored background.
So far PP has a green background, Joker has red, Hero has purple, Banjo & Kazooie have yellow, and now Terry has blue.
The only color left is orange and one of the potential fighters that is linked to orange is Doom Slayer (orange=Hell).
Of course there is also Crash, but I think he was confirmed not to be coming at least this Fighters' Pass.

I don't know how much of a factor Heihachi's "glaring" omission is. Tails and Knuckles' absences as costumes were "glaring". Akira and Jackie's absences as costumes were "glaring". Isaac and Shadow's absences from the Assist Trophies at the time were "glaring".

If you guys really want to dig into Bandai Namco's chances of getting a newcomer, why not study that story Sakurai dropped about the developers casually forgetting that Pac-man was "their" character?
I've seen that Heihachi moveset video and I think a moveset that complex would make him not very fun to play.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Random s**t: Haohmaru is the strongest DLC spirit so far:

Haohmaru - 10888
The Mighty Jinjinator - 10441
Great Sabrecat - 10405
Kyo Kusanagi - 9755
King Slime - 9701
Iori Yagami - 9224
Morgana - 9146
Golem - 8869
Mumbo Jumbo - 8744
Ryo Sakazaki - 8647
Ralf & Clark - 7782
Ryuji Sakamoto - 7495
Ann Takamaki - 7317
Bottles - 7150
Joe Higashi - 5543
Yusuke Kitagawa - 4988
Haru Okamura - 4434

Haohmaru is, in fact, the 4th strongest Ace Level Spirit, behind Hero Chao (11151), Maria Renard (11211) and Yellow Devil (11429).

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Honestly, I think Agumon can be in smash, maybe not as the 5th challenger.

Each dlc's got something unique, Joker's gauge, Hero's mana and multi skills, Terry and its increasing power with damages...

The digivolution can bring something interesting in the game
I have to praise how long you've been on that wagon, bro! I REALLY don't think he's got a chance, but I'll send positive towards towards that happening because of how happy it'd make you.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Yay...Two months of nothing then...:glare:

I just honestly can't see that tbh. Isn't Smash Ultimate up for many awards for this year? I don't think they'd pass out on that at the VGA. Also DLC fighters comes out a few months prior to their announcements I really doubt they would announce an character a month later after their reveal given the due date for all fighters in the pass is by February 2020.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

More like Terry "Bro, I'm getting my money back". Next fighter.
The first Doom also had you use a chainsaw and considering that Corrin has a CHAINSAW SWORD, I think Doom Slayer should work out just fine.
Those aren't remotely comparable

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've seen that Heihachi moveset video and I think a moveset that complex would make him not very fun to play.
Are you talking about this video?

Because if so then Heihachi is only slightly more complex than Terry. Special cancelling, dodge attacks, and a rage based super move are already in Terry's moveset. The only huge difference is Heihachi's limb based tilt system, which in my opinion would be fun a lot since it opens a huge garden of a combo game. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

Terry has been the most fun DLC character so far for me, and I feel like there is more that Sakurai can do to innovate Smash's combat and give it some twists. And in my opinion Heihachi is the character that can raise the bar even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom