• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think for the Pokémon leaker it was a circus of events leading to Nintendo to find the person through Facebook.

Lesson learned: If one becomes a leaker, don't put your public information out to see.
So we’re not 100% sure if it’s because of gameplay, then; I mean, these videos came from 4chan, so Nintendo couldn’t really stop people from sharing them, but they could easily get the Pokémon leaker because of his profile picture mistake and he leaked on Discord.

The videos regarding the ESRB leak were taken down, and some other channels were affected by it as well.
I knew the main videos were taken down, but RelaxAlax’s and GameXplain’s are still there.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also because I'm seeing other people confused about this: YouTube generally speaking has bots that take down videos suspected for copyright infringement, but those are reserved for music and films because videogames by their nonlinear nature are much harder to auto-flag (and also because gaming makes YouTube so much money). Companies usually also have an auto-flagging system but for Nintendo it's probably more to do with video titles, descriptions, or tags - hence why we had a massive takedown of fanmade remixes when Ultimate hit the streets early.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Okay, if they’ll always take down leaked content...

-Did they take down GameXplain’s and RelaxAlax’s videos over the ESRB Leak, Alax’s showing gameplay? (didn’t check if GameXplain’s did) Their videos are still up, from before Smash 4 released.

-How come they didn’t give a crap about the Ken leak? So what if it was an image? It was still leaked content, and they went after the Pokémon leaker who only showed images.
They went after the Pokemon guy because they found out who it was. One of the twitter accounts left enough info in one of their pics for him to be tracked down and in less than 12 hours he was DMCA'd.

I can't say anything about Alax, but strictly speaking, they took down the mirrors about as fast as they popped up. when those were the only thing in the youtube video

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I am suprised no one is mentioning this....

There is this datamine back a few months ago, where there is a new mode called "convention" and it display these photos:
240px-SSBU_convention_2.png

SSBU_convention_1.png

It was discussed a bit last time but never focused on it.

Now since Terry is releasing soon and 6.0.0 patch is going to drop soon, I am happy to tell about this interesting new game mode.

What is this game mode, "convention"? And what is its function?

Will this possible new mode be explored tomorrow?

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

Now since Terry is releasing soon and 6.0.0 patch is going to drop soon, I am happy to tell about this interesting new game mode.

Maybe this is the "slip space" mode from the frogger leak.... We'll see

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Both are incredibly easy. YouTube is incredibly pro-corporation when it comes to takedowns so any video that Nintendo were to strike would be automatically be taken down, and considering the nature of the video it would stay down unless it was fake - or maybe even still.
Well, I guess you learn more every day.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Are you saying that Terry is only popular in the West?

Didn't you argue that he wasn't literally less than a week ago?
Terry is definitely not popular in the West. If you were going to the fighter franchise based on popularity in the West, we would have gotten Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Raiden. Mortal Kombat is way more popular than Fatal Fury. Heck, there are two movies and a third one coming of the series. (Not to mention an animated movie series).

I would say that Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are the two most popular and iconic fighting series in the West (not including Smash). I would follow both of them with either Marvel vs. Capcom, Tekken, and/or Killer Instinct. All of those are more popular than Fatal Fury. Fatal Fury got in because of Japan and perhaps China and Latin America. I had not heard of Terry until his announcement/leak. Fatal Fury did ring a bell once I heard the series but most people I talk to would have absolute no clue who he is as a character.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
10 hours until the end of Miifinity Wars. I just hope Lloyd makes it when it comes to that time. But right now I'm pretty confident in that rumor being false. Almost 48 hours and still no DMCA of the videos on Youtube.
"Fun" isn't something one considers when seeing Doomslayer fall...But this...Does bring a smile to my face.

In all honesty, even if this deconfirms the Geno/Doom alliance, they still have a chance in future DLC

Sysreq

Smash Ace

There is this datamine back a few months ago, where there is a new mode called "convention" and it display these photos:
View attachment 245396
View attachment 245398

It was discussed a bit last time but never focused on it.

Will this possible new mode be explored tomorrow?
I mentioned it offhand yesterday:
Nice, we don't have to wait long, 7/11 be damned. There was that rumored 3v3 online mode or whatever, so maybe that is also being showcased, it would explain why the presentation is so long.
But yeah, I remember PapaGenos making a video on it a long time ago.

volbound1700

Smash Master
There has to be something big in this presentation besides Terry. Either that or Terry must be the most unique fighter ever with a lot to talk about lol.

BTW, regarding the leaks. Frogger is a definition of the character that I did not know I wanted. He is iconic on the level of Pacman and fits Smash perfectly. Definitely a lot better pick than Joker or Terry.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Convention sounds likes it's for sponsored tourneys. You know like an official tournament online where you can win prizes if you rank high.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Terry is definitely not popular in the West. If you were going to the fighter franchise based on popularity in the West, we would have gotten Scorpion, Sub-Zero, or Raiden. Mortal Kombat is way more popular than Fatal Fury. Heck, there are two movies and a third one coming of the series. (Not to mention an animated movie series).

I would say that Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are the two most popular and iconic fighting series in the West (not including Smash). I would follow both of them with either Marvel vs. Capcom, Tekken, and/or Killer Instinct. All of those are more popular than Fatal Fury. Fatal Fury got in because of Japan and perhaps China and Latin America. I had not heard of Terry until his announcement/leak. Fatal Fury did ring a bell once I heard the series but most people I talk to would have absolute no clue who he is as a character.
Not being the most popular doesn't mean it's not still popular. It did fall a bit by the wayside when SNK closed shop, but it's no more obscure than, say, Final Fight or Shinobi.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
No matter what happens, I know that at least one good thing will have come out of the Mii costume leak: the "Ken Thumbs Up Confirmation" meme.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not being the most popular doesn't mean it's not still popular. It did fall a bit by the wayside when SNK closed shop, but it's no more obscure than, say, Final Fight or Shinobi.
My issue with the Smash direction is that we should be going for the most popular. I mean the first 6 third-party characters for Smash were Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Cloud. Joker and Terry do not touch that iconicness.

Sakurai is leaving iconic characters on the shelf in favor of Joker and Terry. They are not even good fits with most of the Smash roster which was based of traditional/classic platforming series with multiple games (Mario, Kirby, DKC, Sonic, Megaman, Metroid, LOZ, etc.). To me, Crash, Rayman, and Bomberman are perfect fits as they fit that Mario-style character. After all it is Super Smash Brothers.

As crazy as this sounds, I also think Geno is a great fit despite being obscure and I see why he has demand.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
All in all, I’m actually pretty glad we’ve finally gotten a leak to get the Smash speculation scene flowing freshly.

Plus, we’ll finally get more official Terry/Smash info tomorrow so win-win for me.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My issue with the Smash direction is that we should be going for the most popular. I mean the first 6 third-party characters for Smash were Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Cloud. Joker and Terry do not touch that iconicness.

Sakurai is leaving iconic characters on the shelf in favor of Joker and Terry. They are not even good fits with most of the Smash roster which was based of traditional/classic platforming series with multiple games (Mario, Kirby, DKC, Sonic, Megaman, Metroid, LOZ, etc.). To me, Crash, Rayman, and Bomberman are perfect fits as they fit that Mario-style character. After all it is Super Smash Brothers.
Yeah, Terry totally isn't iconic. He only hails from two of most popular arcade fighting game series from the 90's (one of which is cited by Sakurai to be an inspiration for Smash Bros.), owned by a company that went toe-to-toe with Capcom and Street Fighter, and revolutionized the mechanics of the modern fighting game. Totally not iconic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Alright last post before the Terry presentation

The Mii Costumes coming to 6.0.0 might either be all SNK related or Fighting Game related, but I'm just hoping a Mii Costume of Jacket from Hotline Miami gets revealed with Hydrogen as a bonus track. It's very unlikely cause I don't think Devolver nor Dennaton own the rights to the song and Nintendo contacting an artist and a record label looks like more work than talking to Toby Fox directly, but a man can dream.
I just want a fighting game the allows you to download your own tracks to play on stages, with a kindly developer like Sakurai explaining the feature. "We hope that we've made many great music tracks that you will want to play our game with, but if you want something a little different, or just want to add Afroman's "Because I got high" to our game, now we can't stop you from doing so."

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, Terry totally isn't iconic. He only hails from two of most popular arcade fighting game series from the 90's, owned by a company that went toe-to-toe with Capcom and Street Fighter, and revolutionized the mechanics of the modern fighting game. Totally not iconic. :rolleyes:
So he was in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat? Both are more iconic. Hell they have MOVIES made about them.

I seriously never saw Fatal Fury. I live in Tennessee but I traveled often. I went to arcades in New York, Chicago, Florida, Gatlinburg (a major resort town) and others. Never saw Fatal Fury. I lived in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, yes. Hell I know Killer Instinct, Time Fighters, and Tekken. Never saw Fatal Fury. Never met a fan of the series.

Perhaps it was just not popular in the Eastern United States.

Btw, anyone that would say Fatal Fury was more popular than Mortal Kombat truly never visited an arcade in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat was the IT fighting game at the time.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
All in all, I’m actually pretty glad we’ve finally gotten a leak to get the Smash speculation scene flowing freshly.

Plus, we’ll finally get more official Terry/Smash info tomorrow so win-win for me.
Even if it (most likely) is bunk, it got my crusty self posting again.

This one felt more like rumors should, which is that we're all trying to piece things together and figure out whether it's credible, rather than the hideous mess of stupid tribalistic hostility that was the Grinch Leak.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Despite my criticism of Terry, by the way, I am still excited about seeing the character in the game.
"Despite me crapping on his entire legacy and claiming I know he isn't an icon, I swear I'm still so excited for him and am not just saying that to fool people into thinking I'm not being a bigger snob than I actually am."

Seriously, dude. You're contributing nothing here. This is a speculation thread, not a "judge characters that have already made it" one. Especially when this is the umpteenth time most of the people here have had to explain why Terry is as big as he is.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So he was in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat? Both are more iconic. Hell they have MOVIES made about them.

I seriously never saw Fatal Fury. I live in Tennessee but I traveled often. I went to arcades in New York, Chicago, Florida, Gatlinburg (a major resort town) and others. Never saw Fatal Fury. I lived in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, yes. Hell I know Killer Instinct, Time Fighters, and Tekken. Never saw Fatal Fury. Never met a fan of the series.

If we're gonna bring adaptations into this, Fatal Fury also had two TV specials and a movie. Not to mention, The King of Fighters has a live-action movie and an animated series.

I'll give you that Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and SNK games in general just don't have as much popularity in the U.S. as Capcom or Bandai Namco games do. However, that still doesn't diminish their importance to the fighting game genre, nor their popularity in places like Latin America, China, or their native Japan. If the reactions to Terry's inclusion (and Hero's as well) teach us anything, it's that Smash isn't just catering to the U.S.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If we're gonna bring adaptations into this, Fatal Fury also had two TV specials and a movie. Not to mention, The King of Fighters has a live-action movie and an animated series.

I'll give you that Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and SNK games in general just don't have as much popularity in the U.S. as Capcom or Bandai Namco games do. However, that still doesn't diminish their importance to the fighting game genre, nor their popularity in places like Latin America, China, or their native Japan. If the reactions to Terry's inclusion (and Hero's as well) teach us anything, it's that Smash isn't just catering to the U.S.
This.

SNK games are pretty much popular everywhere BUT here in the states. Heck, Street Fighter, the series you insist is so much larger than it, has crossed over with SNK/KoF multiple times now.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
While killing time with old Directs, I noticed something.
At 3:56 Sakurai says, "I not going to have just any character participate from other companies, but he's definitely in class of his own."
Now Sakurai seems to want to make Smash Bros. the biggest crossover in media.
Such a sharp philosophy change.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think that the main reason no reveal during Terry stream is the awkward schedule that means most of the world are going to watch the stream recorded instead of live...
And you think they'd rather delay the entire announcement of a character over...having the stream at another time?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well you might not care about all of the possibilities for female characters, but there definitely is enough good female choices to warrant a few of them as dlc and/or at least one in the first fighter pass. I don’t think that’s too much to ask at all. But who knows, maybe we’ll luck out in future dlc.
Never said I didn't care, I said I didn't see very many options that I cared about, different thing entirely. There are MANY female characters I'd love to see in Smash, 2B, Morrigan, Chun-Li, Aigis, female Monster Hunter, female Byleth, Jill Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, etc.
I just said that since characters picked are usually main characters and there aren't very many female main characters to choose from that I'd like, its hard for me to pick any.
That said though, even though I primarily play as female characters in just about anything I play, its not so important to me that I'd take just any ol' character just because she was a female, I'd still rather have my favorite series included even if the main character is a male.
Then at the very least, can't we just have just one. One is so easy.
If I could, I'd pick all the girls in my signature.

As crazy as this sounds, I also think Geno is a great fit despite being obscure and I see why he has demand.
It'd be boring and predictable if Sakurai only chose the most popular and doing so would keep many people from discovering new characters and series that they love.
Also, amongst fans of 90s Fighting games, Terry Bogard, along with Fatal Fury and the King of Fighters, were very well known names. It was the Tekken of its time in that while touching Street Fighter's popularity, it was definitely nothing to scoff at..there's a reason there were multiple Capcom vs SNK and SNK vs Capcom games being made back then.

As for Joker, he's definitely popular and iconic..I mean, everyone knew about Persona 5 and it was in the running for Game of the Year in various Video Game Awards for the year in which it released. Outside of characters like Cloud & Sora, Joker is probably one of the most popular and requested RPG characters for Smash.

While the name Super Smash Bros. was likely chosen to parody Super Mario Bros, and thus be obviously Nintendo, to say that the majority of the case is based on Platforming series is just wrong..
64: 6/12
Melee: 9/25
Brawl: 13/35
for 3DS/Wii U: 18/56
Ultimate: 24/79
The game isn't meant to only be characters styled similar to Super Mario characters either and has featured characters outside of that style ever since the beginning (such as Link, Samus, and Capt. Falcon). The series is meant to Celebrate Video Game History and all the different genres and art styles featured there-in.
This.

SNK games are pretty much popular everywhere BUT here in the states. Heck, Street Fighter, the series you insist is so much larger than it, has crossed over with SNK/KoF multiple times now.
Yes, yes it has.
SNK was pretty much Capcom's first rival in the Fighting Game Arena. He can mention Mortal Kombat, but that never quite caught on in Japan..they'd be pretty much acting about any Mortal Kombat character the exact same way he's acting about Terry.

At 3:56 Sakurai says, "I not going to have just any character participate from other companies, but he's definitely in class of his own."
Not really, he's still including Popular, Iconic, and/or Historically Important characters.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've seen the name Frogger more times in the past 24 hours than I've had in like 15 years and I don't know what to make of that.

Kind of makes me curious to see how far he'll take it, does he intend to keep going until we end up with really bizarre picks like CJ or Amingo? lol

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I've seen the name Frogger more times in the past 24 hours than I've had in like 15 years and I don't know what to make of that.

Kind of makes me curious to see how far he'll take it, does he intend to keep going until we end up with really bizarre picks like CJ or Amingo? lol
I feel like we'd have to reach the 1000s before we'd see that happen. There's enough 3rd Parties and secondary characters from those and other already included series, to last a good long time.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice

Hey, I would like to see Amingo. They could do a Pokemon Trainer like deal so you get Ruby Heart, Amingo and Son Son (the three Orginal MVC2 Characters) with basically a tag mechanic. It would be really cool honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Everyone has to be the most popular thing ever unless I like them, in that case they can be dead and obscure as hell. Btw I sheltered myself so I deliberately never saw SNK despite all the press they had on this site since EVO's lineup got announced, EVO itself or actual life"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Bro that post was from over a month ago. Why reply to it now? Especially when I didn't even quote you originally? Like, why that post out of any?

For real though, I haven't ever argued Terry is popular in the West. I was pointing out what I believed to be a contradiction in the person I quoted's logic, as they had previously argued Terry wasn't popular in the West, but then was seemingly arguing that he was popular in the West.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Btw, anyone that would say Fatal Fury was more popular than Mortal Kombat truly never visited an arcade in the 1990s. Mortal Kombat was the IT fighting game at the time.
Depends on which arcade you visited any Asia or Latin America arcade in the 90's, and you will see that they picked SNK over Mortal Kombat any day of the week.

D

Deleted member

This doesn't mean we will get 4th parties haha.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Ugh, I can't sleep.

Why does Smash always do this to meeeeee

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Any sensible person would probably be asleep in bed by now, prepared to wake up in time for Terry's presentation, or at least to watch the video if they wake up too late and miss the stream.

Thankfully, I am not a sensible person, so I'm gonna be pulling an all-nighter, playing Witcher III and watching YouTube videos until the presentation starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom