• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If we're still doing the "list any of the gals you'd like to see" thing, many of my most wanted characters just so happened to be women:

Elma
2B
Katrielle Layton
Medusa
The Sayonara Wild Hearts protagonist
Ring Fit Trainer
Ajna (Indivisible)
Ribbon Girl or Twintelle (or Dr. Coyle or Minmin)
Akira (AKA Kaede) Howard
Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Style Savvy rep (this is my most wanted)
Daemon X pilot
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Jill Valentine
Sophitia Alexandra
Anna (or Byleth) (Fire Emblem)
Shantae
Ammy (Okami)
Kasumi Yoshizawa (Persona 5)
Ayane (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)
Mym (Dragalia Lost)
Tifa Lockhart (or Yuna or Lightning)
Katalina (Grandblue Fantasy)
Noel Vermillion (Blazblue)
Sakura Shinguji (or Gemini Sunrise)
Sakura Kasugano or Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Mai Shiranui
Kachi (Sin and Punishment)
Velvet Crowe
Jill Dozer
Miriam (Bloodstained)
Nina Williams or Asuka (Tekken)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Kassandra or Aveline de Granpre (Assassin's Creed)
Carmen Sandiego (my pipest of dreams!)
Tracer, D. Va, or Mercy (Overwatch)
Literally any gal from League of Legends
Impa (or Urbosa or Linkle)
Monster Hunter
Dixie
Joanna Dark
Shepard (Mass Effect)
Arle Nadja
KOS-MOS

And if assist trophies got promoted: Krystal and Phosphora.

And if I got to be extra selfish:

Kat (AKA Kitten) [Gravity Rush]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Basically, everyone who got posted here is who we talked about back at the Female discussion thread.

Not saying they're monotonous, but it's quite good to see all these requests. Really love it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, let's pretend that the supposed "worst thing ever happens" and we HAVE to get a female character next "to fill an arbitrary quota" like all the boogeymen are saying.

Working with that limitation, name all the women you genuinely want to see in Smash. All the people who are against the quota? I especially want YOU to participate as well. Just sit there and think, or do research if you have to. I'll start:

Nintendo:

Dixie Kong
Toadette
Midna
Style Savvy character
Elma
Fiora
Byleth with a female alt
Edelgard
Lyn
Caeda

Third-party:

Lara Croft
2B
Female alts for The Hero (specifically Dragon Quest III and IV)
Carmen Sandiego (thanks to this thread for bringing it up, I really want this now lol)
Jill Valentine
Chun-Li

Even working with this "limitation", there's a ton of great characters in here. They have as much reason to be here as many of the other characters already in Smash. So all the people scared of or disgusted by the prospect of "adding a female character JUST to fill a quota", try it for yourself and see if you REALLY think it's so bad.
lil late but; my list is the same as the quoted post but I’d just add the following:

Nintendo:
Lip
Ayumi Tachibana
Akira Howard with a female alt
Octoling (Female by default; has a male alt)
Medusa
Impa
Yuri Kozukata if Assist Trophy promotions are on the table
Twintelle or Min-Min
Pauline

Third party:
KOS-MOS
Shantae
Kasumi Yoshizawa
Amaterasu
Velvet Crowe
Tifa
Miriam
Atelier girl

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
DLC female character talk? time to update my most wanted list :D

-Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
-Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes)
-Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
-Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)
-Blue Mary (Fatal Fury)
-Momiji (Ninja Gaiden)
-Miriam (Bloodstained)

Character not in my most wanted but I'd be cool with:

-Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
-Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles)
-Lyn (Fire Emblem The Blazing Blade)
-Byleth and Edelgard (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
-Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)

There should be more, but I can't remember for now.
There is also a bunch that goes from "eh, doesn't look interesting" to "NOPE NOPE NOPE", but let's not dive into it.

Everyone wants an FPS rep to fill a genre quota and everyone's fine.

Everyone wants a female character to fill a gender quota and everyone whines.
Good thing I want more anime swordfighters and nobody is gonna s**t on me for that :upsidedown:

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
The only female character that I really wanted, being bayonetta is already in.
I guess Marina Liteyears would be cool but she's' fairly irrelevant.

D

Deleted member

All these lists of female characters and no one mentioned Cooking Mama? Ya'll are a disgrace :v

but in all seriousness, Cooking Mama and Ryza as of late are the only 2 female characters that I'd go crazy for in Smash. I don't really have that many female characters on my newcomers wishlist, though I'd be down for a few like Cadence from Crypt of the NecroDancer and Velvet Crowe.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be crazy for him but I'm surprised Level-5 has gotten little to no content in Smash. I'd say he isn't likely but is still a very viable and interesting pick that I think would be a welcome addition to the roster.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So how do y'all feel about the chances of Professor Layton? I'm personally feeling like he's rather slept on in the speculation community, but of course as a fan of the series my view point maybe biased.
If, and only if, they decide to add a Level-5 Character, it would definitely be him. As far as puzzle characters go, he is by far the most notable and representative of them (at least in terms of actual character and not a puzzle piece or a blob mascot).

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Female fighters we want to Smash?...errr..to join Smash?

Not really one to list a billion characters so this is just my top three per category.

First Party
-Midna
-Elma
-Impa

Third Party
-Tifa Lockhart
-Lara Croft
-Jill Valentine

Hmm...three brunettes, two white-hair, one glowing orange hand...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The female character I want the most is Agitha from LoZ: TP.

Other than that, fun, or not too complex movesets are what I hope for in a character.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
So how do y'all feel about the chances of Professor Layton? I'm personally feeling like he's rather slept on in the speculation community, but of course as a fan of the series my view point maybe biased.
Its not that he's slept on, I think people just like to talk about other characters.
I can see totally Layton getting in, but as always I keep my expectations low.

D

Deleted member

I've never played any of the Layton games before and have no real clue to how he'd play in Smash, but he'd be a cool addition to Smash nonetheless. He's got a look not like any other, and I'd like to see his trailer be animated like the cutscenes in the games.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!!!

Sora Ltd.

Employee: "Excuse me Mr. Sakurai, there is something you must see."

Employee proceeds to show Sakurai a thread discussion from a pad device

Sakurai: "Hmm... so, there seems to be a debate going on in regards to a female character for the roster."
Employee: "I've been keeping close observation of the discussion within this particular thread, as well of mention of said concern on others and..."

Sakurai turns to his computer

Sakurai: "There is no need to worry."
Employee: "Mr. Sakurai?"

Sakurai opens a number of files; all pertaining to a female character

Sakurai: "I was well aware of the absence of a fully fleshed out female character within the Fighters Pass so far, but that will change with the next wave of DLC fighters. As a matter of fact, the first character of the second wave will be two female characters for the price of one!"
Employee: "Mr. Sakurai?! What... which character will that be?"

Sakurai proceeds to open an image file that will be used for reference for the character in question
Employee: "Uh... Mr. Sakurai, excuse my ignorance but, who are they?"
Sakurai: "You see, these two characters may seem unrecognized, but the truth is that they have been around for quite a long time. Think of them as, two heroines that had a similar beginning than Shantae, but perhaps more obscure. However, their recent revival a few years back came along with some interesting character designs, playstyles, and incredible music!"

Sakurai plays a few soundtracks from the last game released of the character(s)

Employee: "Wow! That music sounds great!"
Sakurai: "That style of music plays while she is in her aggressive form. The core mechanic of the character's gameplay from the source material will make for an interesting adaptation in Ultimate. By switching between forms, her moves will vary greatly; one having a graceful playstyle, while the other being more aggressive and wild."

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I kinda feel this whole idea of Samus being rescued against a foe she regularly fights and defeats a bit demeaning to her.

As much as I enjoy Hero and DQ, it would have been crappy having Link being rescued from Ganon instead of Darkhon forces.
There's always thus two options in mind if that's the case.

:ultzss:is continuing to fight:ultridley:only for both of them to hear the sound of an chainsaw turning their heads to see an figure coming out of the shadows revealing to be Doom Slayer as he teams up with her to beat and shoot the **** out of Ridley.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
OH GUYS I THINK THe NEXT CHARACTER IS FROM THE WALking dead:
Bandai Namco developed both Smash Ultimate and Tekken 7
Street Fighter: Smash=Ryu/Ken; Tekken7=AKuma
Fatal FURY: Smash=Terry; Tekken7=Geese
Final Fantasyy:; SmASH=CLOud; Tekken7=NoctIS
Walking Dead: Smash=???; Tekken7=Negan

Are people overlooking Clementine?

I'm going to bring up a few newcomers that I think would be neat ideas:
Byleth: Anime swordsman Fire Emblem fighter who can punch and kick stuff. Plus he has a whipsword in the Sword of the Creator.
Kat & Ana: Ice Climbers but ninjas. They could be swordsmen, I guess?
Mike Jones: Yet another NES rep that hardly anyone knows. He isn't even a spirit, so...

Anyways, I thought of a list of characters that could be the 5th Challenger Pack:
Doomguy
Travis Touchdown
Lloyd Irving
Crash Bandicoot
Arle Nadja
Heihachi Mishima
Phoenix Wright
Rabbids

P.S.: I hope Dante gets in someday.

D

Deleted member

Love that stuff with the Giana sisters. Really convincing, but I don't fall for the same thing twice.

You sure about those 5th pass predictions? Because we're debating anout females here since the pass is lacking one and - *sees Arle* - I'll let you pass.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
On the subject of trailer ideas we kinda started...

I'd still love to see a trailer where Link (in his Breath of the Wild outfit) is climbing up a snowy mountain, implied to be exploring a new area. He comes upon a shrine, which looks somewhat nordic but has a Shiekah/Breath of the Wild design. He approaches it and then Rathalos jumps down from behind the shrine, in front of Link, who is accompanied by Charizard and Ridley, who soon fly in from opposite sides. Link begins fighting hard but is in a pinch, surrounded by the many dragons, fighting valiently but showing signs of being overwhelmed. Then a shout comes from off screen, stunning Rathalos and distracting Charizard and Ridley, both in disbelief. The camera turns to reveal the Last Dragonborn, jumping down from a nearby peak as he joins the fray, "The Last Dragonborn shouts them down!". It then shows the usual gameplay montage. Afterwards he jumps down to join Link and the two fight the dragons off together. Then Mario, riding on the back of Paarthurnax, swoop in and wave to the duo, to congratulate them on a hard fought victory.

I think it'd be a fantastic trailer that is true to character while also highlighting the sort of Skyrim/Breath of the Wild connection and even including a fun reference!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, let's pretend that the supposed "worst thing ever happens" and we HAVE to get a female character next "to fill an arbitrary quota" like all the boogeymen are saying.

Working with that limitation, name all the women you genuinely want to see in Smash. All the people who are against the quota? I especially want YOU to participate as well. Just sit there and think, or do research if you have to. I'll start:

Nintendo:

Dixie Kong
Toadette
Midna
Style Savvy character
Elma
Fiora
Byleth with a female alt
Edelgard
Lyn
Caeda

Third-party:

Lara Croft
2B
Female alts for The Hero (specifically Dragon Quest III and IV)
Carmen Sandiego (thanks to this thread for bringing it up, I really want this now lol)
Jill Valentine
Chun-Li

Even working with this "limitation", there's a ton of great characters in here. They have as much reason to be here as many of the other characters already in Smash. So all the people scared of or disgusted by the prospect of "adding a female character JUST to fill a quota", try it for yourself and see if you REALLY think it's so bad.
Hahaha, glad you asked the right question! *Puts on thinking cap*

Nintendo:

Toadette
Pauline
Dixie Kong
Tetra
Toon Zelda
Midna
Medli
Marin
Impa
Hilda
Adeline
Susie
Krystal
Eevee
Gardevior
Kumatora
Jodie Summers
Lyndis
Edelgard
Byleth
Viridi
Ashley
Ring Fit Trainer
Fiora
Elma
Octoling
Akira Howard
Style Saavy
Yuri
Nikki

Third-Parties:
Amy Rose
Roll
Mrs. PAC-MAN
Chun-Li
Terra Branford
Aigis
Naoto Shirogane
Mai Shiranuru
Athena Asamiya
Nakoruru
Arle Nadja
Shantae
Lara Croft
Coco Bandicoot
Kasumi
Ayane
Morrigan
Junko Enoshima
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield
Ada Wong

Needless to say “We’d be scraping the bottom of the barrel” my ass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd still love to see a trailer where Link (in his Breath of the Wild outfit) climbing up a snowy mountain, implied to be exploring a new area. He comes upon a shrine, which looks somewhat nordic but has a Shiekah/Breath of the Wild design. He approaches it and then Rathalos jumps down from behind the shrine, in front of Link, who is accompanied by Charizard and Ridley, who soon fly in from opposite sides. Link begins fighting hard but is in a pinch, surrounded by the many dragons, fighting valiently but showing signs of being overwhelmed. Then a shout comes from off screen, stunning Rathalos and distracting Charizard and Ridley, both in disbelief. The camera turns to reveal the Last Dragonborn, jumping down from a nearby peak as he joins the fray, "The Last Dragonborn shouts them down!". It then shows the usual gameplay montage. Afterwards he jumps down to join Link and the two fight the dragons off together. Then Mario, riding on the back of Paarthurnax, swoop in and wave to the duo, to congratulate them on a hard fought victory.

I think it'd be a fantastic trailer that is true to character while also highlighting the sort of Skyrim/Breath of the Wild connection and even including a fun reference!
Season 2...please? Pretty please?

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I dont care if a female gets in or not, if it happens ok, if it doesn't happen that's ok too

However I'm dissaponted that of all the females being suggested right now, none of you have mentioned Agnes from Braverly Default...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hehehe.

But getting a female character for the 5th pass is slowly bordering from a mediocre request to a must-need...I hope they do.
I wouldn't mind either outcome, though the problem for me is that most of the female characters I do want to see are either not qualified or are first party, so most of them wouldn't be fighter 5 anyway.

In an unrelated matter let's make the thread boring as hell with some good old fashioned Doomguy discussion! /s :drflip:

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind either outcome, though the problem for me is that most of the female characters I do want to see are either not qualified or are first party, so most of them wouldn't be fighter 5 anyway.

In an unrelated matter let's make the thread boring as hell with some good old fashioned Doomguy discussion! /s :drflip:
So you're telling me that out of every single character we just brought up none of them are qualified? Jeeezzzz.

And some Doomguy discussion? No offense to the fans but...just settle it from your thread.
restingbitch.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've never played any of the Layton games before and have no real clue to how he'd play in Smash, but he'd be a cool addition to Smash nonetheless. He's got a look not like any other, and I'd like to see his trailer be animated like the cutscenes in the games.
Professor Layton might not look like it at first glance, but he's actually very proficient at fighting. He is a trained fencer, but unlike most sword fighters he doesn't carry a sword with him since violence is usually not his first response. Instead when he has to engage in combat, he finds whatever is around him and uses it as a weapon, sometimes it's a sword, but more often then not he makes due with common house hold items such as a simple lead pipe, candle stick, fire stoker, etc and uses them as an improvised weapon.

Layton is also skilled at creating makeshift contraptions from everyday items, such examples include making a glider out of wooden chair and some curtain or making a machine gun out of a slot machine.

Here are some gifs of Professor Layton fighting in his games, his movie, and his daughter's anime series (hopefully the images load...)

3d61cm.gif

3d616r.gif

Goombaic

Smash Ace
It'll never happen, but I would buy Mii costumes based on Marvel characters, especially if they brought music from MvC. Wolverine and Hulk as brawlers, Iron Man and Rocket Raccoon as gunners, and Deadpool as a swordsman is the dream.

Speaking of Mii costumes, I hope future costumes fully resemble their characters like Sans. Geno, Nightmare from Soulcalibur, Dark Souls characters, Wonderful 101 characters, and Viewtiful Joe would be great full costumes.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So you're telling me that out of every single character we just brought up none of them are qualified? Jeeezzzz.
No no no! I meant that some of the female characters I would want to see in the game aren't qualified (4th party or fan game characters), I never said anything about the ones you guys were discussing. The ones you were all discussing were all perfectly qualified.
I don't always word things well.

Though when it comes to female reps I'm surprised Amy Rose doesn't get any attention. I think she'd be a fun pick and I love the Sonic series (Sonic deserves another rep), so I'd be very happy if she made it in! I don't get why people wouldn't want to see another Sonic character. The franchise isn't in the best shape but that doesn't dilute the importance of the characters.

And don't worry, the Doomguy thing was just a dumb joke xP

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No no no! I meant that some of the female characters I would want to see in the game aren't qualified (4th party or fan game characters), I never said anything about the ones you guys were discussing. The ones you were all discussing were all perfectly qualified.
I'm confused. So the female characters you want are 4th-party or non-gaming characters? Well...

Could someone fetch me that old Halloween costume I wore back during 1st Grade?

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Yes, and because diversity is a good thing that helps grow a fanbase beyond what can ultimately be a limiting niche.

PoC, women, LGBTQ+ (and everyone else) like to see themselves represented in the media they consume (cue, "lol all those green dinosaur fans") and adding in more representation might help Smash appeal to people it might not normally.
Okay. A few things about this.

1. I fail to see how the roster isn't diverse already. I'm not being facetious about this either. We have dragons, mutants, robots, plants, magicians, anthropomorphic animals, children, regular animals, witches, angels, goddesses, gods, plumbers, and ninjas, just to name a few. They shoot fire, guns, lightning and water; wield swords, axes, and bows; are good, evil, or neutral in their moral alignment; and are female, male, or have no gender. Some of them are royalty and some of them had humble beginnings; some of them are extremely powerful and some of them are incredibly weak; some prefer to work in teams while others prefer to work alone. They are characters that are kind, cruel, dastardly, brave, courageous, independent, cowardly, silly, serious, strategic, clever, impatient, resourceful, beautiful, ugly, intelligent, stupid, disgusting, happy, violent, optimistic, rash, benevolent, peaceful, organized, hilarious, heroic, destructive, and hairy. If the reason you haven't purchased this game is because you can't identify with one of the 80+ characters, then I doubt you can identify with anyone or anything. This is a pretty diverse spectrum.

2. I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone is waiting for a character with a certain arbitrary personality or character trait to join before they purchase the game. I'll go a step further and say that I doubt that adding a character with said trait(s) will cause someone to break into the fighting game genre, decide to be a Switch owner, or start playing video games that wasn't already before (or at least very much on the fence alresdy). It's not like a lesbian is somewhere just waiting for CNN to report Tracer was added to Smash, or a PoC is waiting for Kotaku to report that Twintelle was invited to the party. This premise is ridiculous. Will it appease some fans? Sure, I guess. But not as much as Geno, Doomguy, Crash or Lara Croft would.

3. If people are really this hung up on their very narrow ideas of what qualifies as "diversity", I recommend that they pull their head out of their ideologies and enjoy reality. There are so many interesting and exciting characters that are in Smash and gaming in general! These characters (their stories, worlds, abilities, personalities, franchises, and supporting actors) are so complex and interesting that it would be a real shame to miss out on that just because of their race, sexual orientation, gender, or some other criteria. Tracer, Cyrax, Kerrigan, Lara Croft, and Samus Aran are some of my favorite video game characters. I am a male, straight, and Caucasian. I am not allowed to like them because I don't identify with these arbitrary standards? Of course not! That's preposterous. And even if a character was chosen for a reason like this, fans would never be satisfied. These kind of people will always find something to be offended about. It will never be good enough.

TL;DR: I think adding characters for the sake of fulfilling someone's idea of diversity is ludicrous, unprofitable, and unnecessary. I guarantee it's not how Sakurai and Nintendo are choosing characters, so it best to abandon that thought process all together.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
However I'm dissaponted that of all the females being suggested right now, none of you have mentioned Agnes from Braverly Default...
I would love it if we got the Bravely series cast as a character. The main character would be either Tiz or Agnes, and everyone else would be alts. Also, we'd get to listen to Serpent Eating the Ground...

(Or was it horizon? A lot of people use ground though. Actually, wasn't it Serpent Devours the Horizon? Uuuuuum... Snek Ingests Dirt. That's what I'll go with.)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Square isn't choosing the characters though. And if Sakurai knows that literally everyone knows Lara he may be inclined to choose her instead. I mean EVERYONE knows who Lara is. She's had 3 movies, countless amount of games, and a Guinness World Record for mos iconic female character in gaming.

The fact that she's not in the game already is kinda baffling and I can only really chalk it up to the fact that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest has priority and Lara is Western made.

I really won't be surprised if she's in the next Pass. Especially if it's following the route of this Pass with the 3rd parties. Lara will make a bigger splash than I think most people are aware of.
I definitely think Lara is an under recognized pick. When it comes to Western picks, I’d say that Doom Slayer, Crash, Steve & Lara are next up.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm confused. So the female characters you want are 4th-party or non-gaming characters? Well...

Could someone fetch me that old Halloween costume I wore back during 1st Grade?
SOME of them, most of the others are first party and therefore wouldn't be on the pass.

Dixie Kong
Impa
Ruto
Mipha
Gothitelle
Adeleine
and much more...

I just don't have much of an interest in a lot of the big third party contenders that happen to have female protags (Resident Evil, Nier Automata, Persona, etc), and even though I want to see Shantae I do think that Shantae's spirit deconfirms her until proven otherwise (her or Quote would make a fantastic first indie rep), so even if she's negotiated for later she more than likely won't be Fighter 5.
There's also Overwatch, Tracer would be an interesting choice and I'd be pretty happy if she was in but she also isn't likely for Fighter 5.

Also Zelda has so many great female characters from its' main series games. Mipha, Urbosa, Ruto, Tetra, Midna, Impa... I really don't see why people would prefer Linkle, a genderbend from a spinoff game when there are so many great candidates from the main games.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Square isn't choosing the characters though. And if Sakurai knows that literally everyone knows Lara he may be inclined to choose her instead. I mean EVERYONE knows who Lara is. She's had 3 movies, countless amount of games, and a Guinness World Record for mos iconic female character in gaming.

The fact that she's not in the game already is kinda baffling and I can only really chalk it up to the fact that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest has priority and Lara is Western made.

I really won't be surprised if she's in the next Pass. Especially if it's following the route of this Pass with the 3rd parties. Lara will make a bigger splash than I think most people are aware of.
More the the reason why I feel she's being slept on really. She maybe not popular in the East but in the west otherwise...I could see her being chosen for that reason along with the icon she was in the 90's and reputation of the title of female video game protagonist.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
More the the reason why I feel she's being slept on really. She maybe not popular in the East but in the west otherwise...I could see her being chosen for that reason along with the icon she was in the 90's and reputation of the title of female video game protagonist.
She is to an extent, but the lack of popularity in the East I think is what hurts her the most, so she's in a very similar situation to Doomguy.

D

Deleted member

Professor Layton might not look like it at first glance, but he's actually very proficient at fighting. He is a trained fencer, but unlike most sword fighters he doesn't carry a sword with him since violence is usually not his first response. Instead when he has to engage in combat, he finds whatever is around him and uses it as a weapon, sometimes it's a sword, but more often then not he makes due with common house hold items such as a simple lead pipe, candle stick, fire stoker, etc and uses them as an improvised weapon.

Layton is also skilled at creating makeshift contraptions from everyday items, such examples include making a glider out of wooden chair and some curtain or making a machine gun out of a slot machine.

Here are some gifs of Professor Layton fighting in his games, his movie, and his daughter's anime series (hopefully the images load...)
Alright I'm sold. Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest can **** right off; Layton's the true anime swordfighter Smash needs.

but yeah it'll still be cool to see this lad in Smash.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Sysreq Sysreq I'm not getting on anyone's case over boycotting the game over not having a female character in the DLC, the main point of my argument is that
A character has to add something to the table other than their gender. If that is literally the one reason you have a character on your list, yes, that is a bad thing. You confirm you don't care about what they could offer in terms of a moveset, stage or music, you simply want more females. Using Dixie again, she offers plenty to the table being slower than Diddy but heavier than him too. In Smash, I feel she could be a middle-ground Kong, not as heavy as DK but not as mobile as Diddy either. Her recovery options could exceed both along with rounding out Donkey Kong's cast to its core members in my opinion.

On that note, here's some more characters that I want that happen to be female:

-Lip: Another character I wanted since Brawl. I felt the mechanics of Panel de Pon could make for an interesting moveset. The Lip thread has some great ideas and it's great to see support for her growing.
-Hilda: With echo fighters being a thing, Hilda seemed like an obvious choice with Zelda's new design. You could match her cheerful gestures with more subdued movements and swap her attacks with the dark element. I felt this was a missed opportunity.
-Ms. Pac-Man: Another seemingly obvious choice for an echo fighter. Swap Pac-Man's fruits for her own and a few more Namco cameos, sound effects included and you're all set. And yes, Namco does own her. The legal disputes were taken care of years ago, they just don't care to use her as much. She appeared in Sonic Dash recently.
-Captain Syrup: Wario Land may as well not exist according to Smash. Wario will never properly represent WL so why not bring in Captain Syrup and have her do it if Wario has to remain the way he is? The second most recurring character in the Land series deserves better.
-Tetra or Toon Zelda: I'd prefer both but that's not viable. Tetra could utilize some stuff from Hyrule Warriors or even be a clone of Toon Link while having Toon Link use some of the weapons from the games he appeared in from Wind Waker, Minish Cap and so on. Toon Zelda could utilize the Phantom better than Zelda in Four or Ultimate and she's my favorite take on the Zelda character. Anytime T. Zelda appears, she tends to be one of the better Zeldas and overall does a lot more in her respective games in comparison.
-Paula: I think she could be a high risk, high reward character, making better use of the elemental PSI but having weaker power and being much lighter in comparison. Basically how she is in Earthbound. Another suggestion I had for her was a PSI meter like Hero's magic meter.

Trust me, I have nothing against female characters. I have an issue with adding characters simply for being female. For all the flak I'll happily give Sakurai, calling him being sexist for not adding female characters is as invalid as it gets and is no better than sending him death threats over a character being regulated to a support item.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She is to an extent, but the lack of popularity in the East I think is what hurts her the most, so she's in a very similar situation to Doomguy.
Still worth keeping an eye on her. Also was Dragon Quest ever that popular in the West? If not the same could possibility apply here in the event she does get revealed.

We did sleep on Terry after all. Who knows what Sakurai might throw at us at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still worth keeping an eye on her. Also was Dragon Quest ever that popular in the West? If not the same could possibility apply here in the event she does get revealed.

We did sleep on Terry after all. Who knows what Sakurai might throw at us at this point.
I didn't. I was an SNK Fangirl before Terry got into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom