• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web.
______
Abc
: third-party series represented by Fighters.
Abc: third-party series represented by Assist Trophee or Mii Costume.
Abc: other series whose the original companies aren't already represented neither Western nor cross-media.
Abc: other series whose the original companies are already represented or Western or cross-media.
It is considered that the 3 cross-media series are Digimon, Tamagotchi and Yo-kai Watch.

______

In the World
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Suikoden > Disgaea > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > No More Heroes > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie.
Not like that's all that great of data...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Japanese people are such hypocrites. It's OK to a teenager to buy some hentai, but violent western games are not suited for their moral. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, last I checked that outright isn't the case but go on
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web.
______
Abc
: third-party series represented by Fighters.
Abc: third-party series represented by Assist Trophees or Mii Costumes.
Abc: other series whose the original companies aren't already represented neither Western nor cross-media.
Abc: other series whose the original companies are already represented or Western or cross-media.
It is considered that the 3 cross-media series are Digimon, Tamagotchi and Yo-kai Watch.

______

In the World
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Suikoden > Disgaea > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > No More Heroes > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie.
See, there's one problem with using this as evidence. If someone looked up a video game because they don't know about it, did some research by looking at the series' history and maybe even gameplay and then think "I don't like this", it'd still get counted towards the results here

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You know how a lot of people, after E3 2019, claimed that Japan reacted to Banjo & Kazooie the same way a lot of Westerners reacted to The Hero, in that they were supposedly received in a very lukewarm way? That was proven false as plenty of Japanese Nintendo fans remembered the Banjo-Kazooie games like Westerners did, but I think that, if Doomguy was ever confirmed, then it really WOULD be like that for them.

Ornl

Smash Ace
I mean, last I checked that outright isn't the case but go on

See, there's one problem with using this as evidence. If someone looked up a video game because they don't know about it, did some research by looking at the series' history and maybe even gameplay and then think "I don't like this", it'd still get counted towards the results here
A Google search makes something unknown become known. Like or not a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The intriguing thing about Doom is that it is pretty much the birth of an entire genre (obviously Wolfenstein 3D came first, as well so first person perspective games), and it's legacy is something that Sakurai has acknowledged.

I think from a fighters pass perspective, it's a long shot (although one that hovers around my top 5 for that last slot), because of the way they talked about conversations with Rare/Microsoft being harder than anything else they had done, and the lack of appeal in Japan. It just makes Western reps that bit more shake-y.

Plus, that poll of Japan's favourite first person games includes Overwatch, which is a game that would get Nintendo into some markets they're not really in a lot easier than Doom would, and aesthetically it's probably a better fit overall than Doom Just in terms of how a character like Tracer is presented and given a personality. (not that Doom Slayer doesn't have a personality).

So in summary; Doom, great game, great legacy that Sakurai is well aware of, but I doubt it for the first pass.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
> Xenoblade 2 choices that aren’t Rex
> no mention of THE ZEKENATOR, CHAOTIC BRINGER OF CHAOS (TM)

Come on guyssss :c
Dude, we've already mentioned Dante.
Japanese people are such hypocrites. It's OK to a teenager to buy some hentai, but violent western games are not suited for their moral. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Honestly..I'd much rather people be okay with sexual content than hyper violence..just saying..
But no, that's not how it works..Hentai is still Adult Only..
A Google search makes something unknown become known. Like or not a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.
Thats not quite the point though.
Any DLC released has to at least have the potential to sell in all territories and as Nintendo and Sakurai are both located in Japan, conscious or not, there will be a focus on pleasing Japanese fans. Even if something isn't entirely targeted at them, they'll still be considered when making decisions. Were Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie primarily for the West? Yes, but they are still well enough known and popular enough requests in Japan.

StormC

Smash Hero
"Ultra-Violence," "First Person Shooters," and "Western" are like

literally all things that would turn Japanese audiences off.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Doom as a whole is relatively unknown over there.
The violence thing is weird though. I think "realistic" violence, like, CG-simulated violence in video games, is a big no no. But Resident Evil is popular in Japan, despite being censored quite a bit. And obviously there are tons of classic anime and manga that are very violent (although nowadays most children/family anime is pretty tame compared to like... stuff made in the 70s-90s).

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Why do the people who want Rex want Rex?
As far as Xenoblade characters go, the only one I want is Elma.

I can't say I'm entirely confident in her chances though when Sakurai seems to have more interest in Rex/Pyra, and when I don't think there's going to be any XCX remaster or sequel in the foreseeable future since Monolith Soft already has the XC1 remaster on their hands (But maybe I'm underestimating how big Monolith Soft is and maybe they could tackle 2 games at once I dunno)
People already answered about why Rex is a front-runner in the list of first party. I am, however, more fond of Elma for both being a rarer stereotype (woman, dark skin) and having a strong potential moveset, switching between dual blades and dual guns, and having Skells (big mecha). Elma may also put XCX in light again, it didn't got the success it deserve.

For the purpose of a Fighters Pass, it makes sense to frontload with your biggest and most shocking reveals, since you want people to buy it as fast as possible. I can see fighter 5 being pretty lowkey in comparison, but it doesn't matter much now that we're getting more DLC.
I agree that it makes sense to frontload the reveals for the fighterpass, but who is considered a “conventional” character for DLC?
It should be a "possible" character, with ties with Nintendo, without much hatred and with, on the contrary, an overall "I'm fine with that" feeling by the Smash fans, meanwhile not being outstanding. That's why Ryu Hayabusa feels believable. However, it's only based on debunked leaks, rumors, and his recent appearance as DLC in another Ultimate game seems to explains the false leaks to me.

In my opinion, it's probably a Capcom rep, either be it a Resident Evil character or, what I believe the most, Phoenix Wright. The latter is not a pass selling, but he have strong ties with Nintendo and would overall be easily accepted.

Plus, that poll of Japan's favourite first person games includes Overwatch, which is a game that would get Nintendo into some markets they're not really in a lot easier than Doom would, and aesthetically it's probably a better fit overall than Doom Just in terms of how a character like Tracer is presented and given a personality. (not that Doom Slayer doesn't have a personality).

So in summary; Doom, great game, great legacy that Sakurai is well aware of, but I doubt it for the first pass.
I'm believing that too. Doom may be the original FPS, the lack of Japanese recognition is a killer in my opinion. It's even worse for Master Chief in that regard. If we ever have a FPS character, it's Overwatch, but it will have to fight against the biggest MMO of all time, World of Warcraft, for the spot. Hard to say who would win. But IMO, both are definitely not coming.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I know I'm a bit late on this, but man, if Rex would somehow still make it into the game? That'd be a surefire way for me to not buy all of the Fighter DLC for this game. I can see myself getting the Fighter's Pass as it is eventually, but there's no way in hell that I'm ever shilling out any money for that ******, even if it's part of some pack. The only character from (main game) 2 that I'd really accept would be Malos as a Shulk Echo/semi-clone. Zeke and Mòrag wouldn't be bad, but not good enough to convince me, either.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it's the exact opposite in US, so I think it's just people being people.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y'know, us treating the Japanese Audience as some kind of alien race who only likes VERY specific stuff when, in actuality, they're human and each individual human has different tastes, is very odd.

Like, don't get me wrong Western taste and Japanese taste DEFINITELY differs but that doesn't mean that Japan immediately sees something and says "Oh that's an FPS? Oh that's a Western made Game? Welp, it looks cool but too bad I'm not going to play it for those reasons." For instance, Grand Theft Auto V was SURPRISINGLY popular over there at the time. I have no hard evidence to back it up but a highschool classmate of mine went over there for the summer that GTAV came out and said that's all anyone was talking about around the month he was there.

It's not necessarily that Western games don't sale, or don't appeal, over in Japan. It's more so that... Japan is REALLY small. REALLY small. And they REALLY don't have time for games according to studies. It's about the size of California so anything selling really REALLY good just means it broke a million units over there. And those things usually only happen with Dragon Quest. If a western game breaks 100,000 over there it's a miracle and it's not necessarily that way because they're Xenophobic or the games don't appeal to them it's just that, from what I can gather, Japan doesn't really play that much games and especially not CONSOLE games.

Any DLC released has to at least have the potential to sell in all territories and as Nintendo and Sakurai are both located in Japan, conscious or not, there will be a focus on pleasing Japanese fans. Even if something isn't entirely targeted at them, they'll still be considered when making decisions. Were Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie primarily for the West? Yes, but they are still well enough known and popular enough requests in Japan.
You can ask anyone around here at the time Little Mac or Ridley was revealed and I can GUARANTEE you that Japan had no idea who either of those characters were. K. Rool and Banjo? Sure, they're somewhat relevant but Ridley and Mac? Imagine how the West reacted to Terry and Hero and apply it to Japan's point of view, except Japan was probably more polite.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ten years ago, it would have been absolute blasphemy to ever consider him for Smash Bros, especially since Microsoft semi-rivaled Nintendo during that time. I'm sure we all remember those days, but thankfully, tiimes have changed.
Yeah, and what changed is MS stopped being #1 and became desperate to seem cool again.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You can ask anyone around here at the time Little Mac or Ridley was revealed and I can GUARANTEE you that Japan had no idea who either of those characters were. K. Rool and Banjo? Sure, they're somewhat relevant but Ridley and Mac? Imagine how the West reacted to Terry and Hero and apply it to Japan's point of view, except Japan was probably more polite.
Yeah, though there is a pretty big difference here.
Ridley & Little Mac were part of the initial rosters of their games and are completely Nintendo characters, 1st Party even.
However, while you might be right about Little Mac's obscurity to Japan, Ridley is still a well known character. While Metroid as a series sells better in the West than in Japan, its no slouch in Japan and Ridley is the biggest villains (and he also appeared prominently in both Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U). He's not obscure to the point of no one knowing who he is.

My point is that DLC still has to sell in Japan and Nintendo is more likely to pick a character from a series well known enough worldwide rather than just in Japan.

Also, I am honestly shocked by the amount of people that don't know Terry Bogard to be perfectly honest.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Also, I am honestly shocked by the amount of people that don't know Terry Bogard to be perfectly honest.
I guess there aren't as many fans of traditional fighting games in the Smash community, and SNK's big popularity comes from mainly the arcade scene, which has greatly dwindled in the west. Everyone knows Street Fighter, it's basically the poster child of traditional fighters for those outside of that sphere (with other more well-known traditional fighters being on consoles such as Tekken and Soul Calibur), so SNK definitely wouldn't be on their radar. Hell, I didn't even know who Terry was until I came here. I guess it just depends on the community you're in. Still, it's nice to see SNK get some well-deserved attention!

SKX31

Smash Master
If I may offer my two cents on DOOM first: honestly, wouldn't be surprised if it was just overshadowed. One thing I should point out though is that video games were simply marketed as - and then took on a toy-like connotation for the entire family. If you watch old (80s-early 90s) Japanese game ads one notices that. In the U.S though... if you look up old game ads you will see ads targeted towards stereotypical (teenage) boy interests as early as 1988, if not earlier.

While there will be an inevitable Japanese focus I do wonder if Furukawa's (I really feel people are underestimating Nintendo's President) push to globalize Nintendo will affect Ultimate's DLC. Of course, Furukawa has stated that's a medium-to-long-term project, but he wants Nintendo to reach millions of people in non-primary regions at one point. Such as the Middle East, Southeast Asia and China.

Of course, I'm not saying he has an equal say as Sakurai when it comes to Ultimate's DLC. What I'm saying is, what Furukawa looks for could be a factor. For example Furukawa suggesting something to Sakurai since it introduces the Japanese to said IP.

StormC

Smash Hero
Y'know, us treating the Japanese Audience as some kind of alien race who only likes VERY specific stuff when, in actuality, they're human and each individual human has different tastes, is very odd.

Like, don't get me wrong Western taste and Japanese taste DEFINITELY differs but that doesn't mean that Japan immediately sees something and says "Oh that's an FPS? Oh that's a Western made Game? Welp, it looks cool but too bad I'm not going to play it for those reasons." For instance, Grand Theft Auto V was SURPRISINGLY popular over there at the time. I have no hard evidence to back it up but a highschool classmate of mine went over there for the summer that GTAV came out and said that's all anyone was talking about around the month he was there.

It's not necessarily that Western games don't sale, or don't appeal, over in Japan. It's more so that... Japan is REALLY small. REALLY small. And they REALLY don't have time for games according to studies. It's about the size of California so anything selling really REALLY good just means it broke a million units over there. And those things usually only happen with Dragon Quest. If a western game breaks 100,000 over there it's a miracle and it's not necessarily that way because they're Xenophobic or the games don't appeal to them it's just that, from what I can gather, Japan doesn't really play that much games and especially not CONSOLE games.
I don't think it's just about size (your California comparison is off; California's population is ~40 million and Japan's population is 126 million).

GTAV was definitely popular in Japan. A surprise breakout hit. It happens. But overall Japanese gamers heavily favor Japanese games. It isn't even close.

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/list-of-million-sellers

Scroll through here and see how long it takes you to get to a western game. Even longer if you don't count DKC (Nintendo published). Japan is, generally speaking, fairly insular with regards to how it engages with its own media vs. foreign media. Their entertainment industry is a massive juggernaut rivaled only by the United States and China, Japanese people grow up surrounded by their own movies, shows, games, etc. That isn't to say certain western media can't catch on (and many western media becomes influential for Japanese creators), many western movies and shows are popular in Japan for various reasons, but because the console gaming industry was carried largely on the back of Japanese companies in the third generation, that is their familiarity point for gaming.

As someone who's been to Japan, it's really hard to understand unless you're there, but Japanese characters are EVERYWHERE. Stores, advertisements, public service things (when I got off the train in Hiroshima there was a poster of Evangelion characters telling me where to go)... I think on some level there is a sense of pride among Japanese people regarding their characters and media. They like things that are distinctly "theirs." That isn't to say they don't enjoy western media or they are xenophobic. There is simply a strong cultural idea in Japan of being prideful of Japanese things, I feel.

Certain western games and series catch on in Japan, definitely. DKC, Crash, Skyrim, Minecraft, GTAV, even some COD games. It's far from the norm though. Because of the history of console manufacturing in Japan and PC gaming not quite catching on over there like it did in the west, I think they are just more predisposed to their own games. The console market shrinking big time certainly doesn't help though, along with the proliferation of mobile and portable gaming (where Japanese developers have gotten very, very good at capturing markets).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
If I may offer my two cents on DOOM first: honestly, wouldn't be surprised if it was just overshadowed. One thing I should point out though is that video games were simply marketed as - and then took on a toy-like connotation for the entire family. If you watch old (80s-early 90s) Japanese game ads one notices that. In the U.S though... if you look up old game ads you will see ads targeted towards stereotypical (teenage) boy interests as early as 1988, if not earlier.

While there will be an inevitable Japanese focus I do wonder if Furukawa's (I really feel people are underestimating Nintendo's President) push to globalize Nintendo will affect Ultimate's DLC. Of course, Furukawa has stated that's a medium-to-long-term project, but he wants Nintendo to reach millions of people in non-primary regions at one point. Such as the Middle East, Southeast Asia and China.

Of course, I'm not saying he has an equal say as Sakurai when it comes to Ultimate's DLC. What I'm saying is, what Furukawa looks for could be a factor. For example Furukawa suggesting something to Sakurai since it introduces the Japanese to said IP.
Yeah, thats honestly part of my point, Nintendo would likely pick more globally popular picks over ones just popular in one or the other..at least for DLC since, well, it needs to sell in all territories and there are other 3rd Party (and 1st/2nd Party) pics that they could pick that are not only more popular but fit that criteria better.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One thing to note is that Sakurai is aware that his audience is not just Japan. He realizes that this game is a worldwide phenomenon. It makes sense that he would reveal Hero and Banjo at the same E3 and save Banjo for last.

So really there's no telling what might happen. He might throw in another Western favorite that is not popular in Japan. However, even if that is true, Doom Slayer has a TON of competition.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
You're looking at this from the wrong point of view. You're all too fixated on the commercial aspect.

SKX31

Smash Master
You're looking at this from the wrong point of view. You're all too fixated on the commercial aspect.
It's not necessarily / just the commercial aspect. To turn that around: it could also be a question of keeping committed fans happy, spreading the Nintendo love to other regions or trying to do both. Somewhere within that scale.

Yeah, thats honestly part of my point, Nintendo would likely pick more globally popular picks over ones just popular in one or the other..at least for DLC since, well, it needs to sell in all territories and there are other 3rd Party (and 1st/2nd Party) pics that they could pick that are not only more popular but fit that criteria better.
True, but that can be a bit wonky. Nintendo has a small but growing presence in Iran. Thing is Iran's gaming sphere is heavily hard-core. We're talking "I won't play Smash unless I get to play as Snake or Bayonetta!" hardcore.

EDIT: TIL Crash is actually a fan pick in Iran. So him getting into Smash would raise Smash's profile there.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Yeah lol they're not going to add Crash because he's popular in Iran, of all reasons.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah lol they're not going to add Crash because he's popular in Iran, of all reasons.
Nope, but it's another small plus. Even if it's small, those small plusses can start stacking up.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All we know about Nintendo's shortlist is that it was quite a wide selection and it was Sakurai who made the final decision from what was in that list. It was wide enough that Joker, who's only Nintendo contribution is a Dungeon Crawler spin-off, was able to be picked.

ze9

Smash Ace
All we know about Nintendo's shortlist is that it was quite a wide selection and it was Sakurai who made the final decision from what was in that list. It was wide enough that Joker, who's only Nintendo contribution is a Dungeon Crawler spin-off, was able to be picked.
Actually, we don't even know if there was a shortlist in the first place.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Sakurai seemingly affirming that wave 2 is also Nintendo selections, and that they both seem to want to push more collaborative inclusions.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sakurai seemingly affirming that wave 2 is also Nintendo selections, and that they both seem to want to push more collaborative inclusions.

Considering we only have 1 bad pick so far this should be more interesting

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley's lack of popularity in Japan is pretty overstated, he wasn't nearly as requested as in the west, but he still had a few fans, for example he appeared on polls both for pre-Smash 4 and for DLC, as well as being near the top of the official Brawl pre-release poll. It would fluctuate a bit just how often he'd appear on polls like these, but he clearly wasn't a nobody, and iirc Japanese speculators were also well aware of his overseas popularity.

Not to mention Ridley literally appeared in all previous Smash games, and the first three Metroid games also sold really well in Japan, iirc the original even sold better in Japan than anywhere else, the series' sales only started declining in Japan with Prime. Ridley was never a literal who in Japan, he just didn't appeal to Japanese fans as much as western ones, it wasn't about whether they knew about him or not, because they did.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey, if more "Nintendo picks" means a pass like this one, I'm all for it.

Also, regarding markets, it's not the only thing to consider but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered at all. Characters like Tracer or Steve may have popularity and marketability, but they also have fanbases. It's not locking ourselves into a box - if anything this new news is giving us more to consider, stuff we'd never even think of in the Smash 4 days. I mean, a PC game rep? That's ridiculous to even think about! And yet here we are with Joker and four Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo-Kazooie and Terry Bogard in one game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hey, if more "Nintendo picks" means a pass like this one, I'm all for it.

Also, regarding markets, it's not the only thing to consider but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered at all. Characters like Tracer or Steve may have popularity and marketability, but they also have fanbases. It's not locking ourselves into a box - if anything this new news is giving us more to consider, stuff we'd never even think of in the Smash 4 days. I mean, a PC game rep? That's ridiculous to even think about! And yet here we are with Joker and four Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo-Kazooie and Terry Bogard in one game.
I'm just hoping it means some more left field picks like idk, Miriam Bloodstained

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there's no more passes, then they can switch between Nintendo newcomers and new 3rd parties as they don't need to share the same price point. Not to mention that they can also sell stages as seperate DLC like the N64 stages in Smash 4.

If that's what it takes to get Pac-Maze and Rainbow Road 7 back...

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

I don't think it's just about size (your California comparison is off; California's population is ~40 million and Japan's population is 126 million).

GTAV was definitely popular in Japan. A surprise breakout hit. It happens. But overall Japanese gamers heavily favor Japanese games. It isn't even close.

https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/list-of-million-sellers

Scroll through here and see how long it takes you to get to a western game. Even longer if you don't count DKC (Nintendo published). Japan is, generally speaking, fairly insular with regards to how it engages with its own media vs. foreign media. Their entertainment industry is a massive juggernaut rivaled only by the United States and China, Japanese people grow up surrounded by their own movies, shows, games, etc. That isn't to say certain western media can't catch on (and many western media becomes influential for Japanese creators), many western movies and shows are popular in Japan for various reasons, but because the console gaming industry was carried largely on the back of Japanese companies in the third generation, that is their familiarity point for gaming.

As someone who's been to Japan, it's really hard to understand unless you're there, but Japanese characters are EVERYWHERE. Stores, advertisements, public service things (when I got off the train in Hiroshima there was a poster of Evangelion characters telling me where to go)... I think on some level there is a sense of pride among Japanese people regarding their characters and media. They like things that are distinctly "theirs." That isn't to say they don't enjoy western media or they are xenophobic. There is simply a strong cultural idea in Japan of being prideful of Japanese things, I feel.

Certain western games and series catch on in Japan, definitely. DKC, Crash, Skyrim, Minecraft, GTAV, even some COD games. It's far from the norm though. Because of the history of console manufacturing in Japan and PC gaming not quite catching on over there like it did in the west, I think they are just more predisposed to their own games. The console market shrinking big time certainly doesn't help though, along with the proliferation of mobile and portable gaming (where Japanese developers have gotten very, very good at capturing markets).
I wanted to rebounce on those two comments, I think we need to put into perspective all of that to Japan history, mainly the part where America forced Japan to go out of their isolationism. And I think that spirit "the isolationist attitude" still stem in Japan DNA it's not like they are racist it's more like they are self centered kind of like a egoistic view of themselves and that only Japan only matters. I feel and StromC said it well that japan view first themselves then the rest of the world. That feel that view is more due to how their education works and it's something that go back way before the Meiji Era where Japanese people were alone with themselves. It's hard to erase centuries of behavior like that even though that's also 2 centuries that Japan is now in the world game.

Also I surmise that their defeat in world wide 2 pushed japan people to bring them into isolation again, but it's just an assumption from my part.

In addition I'd like to point out that most of western release movies come late in Japan for example promotion for John Wick Parabellum just started in japan for its release I saw that on Oricon.

Does that mean that we will have the full list of character that will be release after the fighters pass ?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Doomguy is in this very weird spot where, yeah, he's relatively obscure in Japan, but he's got historical value, and that's something that tends to carry a lot of weight for Sakurai. In that regard I think he's definitely got an edge over other western characters that are unpopular in Japan, like Master Chief or Spyro, but whether it's enough for him to make it in is another question.

I think the primary issue with western-owned IPs is the language barrier, it obviously doesn't stop western characters from getting in, but I do think it limits how many we'll get. If we get someone like Crash for example, I doubt we'll see another western character (that is with the expectation we're getting around 4-5 additional characters), just because it's a lot more complicated to add them from the Smash team's point of view. Like, Sakurai was concerned things might get lost in translation when it came to just a single music track, I imagine the implementation of a whole character then is quite the hassle, especially if the company is strict on how the character is supposed to be represented (which probably wasn't the case with Banjo).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo essentially decided the DLC (Sakurai just decides if the character can be realized in Smash)
Does this means people can shut up about "Sakurai picks" now?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Okay. Why would Doomguy get in? Japan doesn't care about the series much, and he would be too violent unless he was heavily censored, in which case why even bother at that point? Also, why do so many people want even more Western characters? Don't we already have enough?
>Violent debate again

Please don't...

:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultridley::ultsnake:

Already debunks that rule and Sakurai breaks fan rules all the time.

Also they manage to make Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden work in Injustice toning them down, you know one of the most violent video games of all time and among the reasons the ESRB exists. If they can manage to pull that off then Doom Slayer in Smash is no exception.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
You know how a lot of people, after E3 2019, claimed that Japan reacted to Banjo & Kazooie the same way a lot of Westerners reacted to The Hero, in that they were supposedly received in a very lukewarm way? That was proven false as plenty of Japanese Nintendo fans remembered the Banjo-Kazooie games like Westerners did, but I think that, if Doomguy was ever confirmed, then it really WOULD be like that for them.
With all due respect that does not make any sense at all. How is a Japanese audience suddenly going to receive a game/genre that has bombed consistently warmly? Banjo did perform way better than any of the DOOM games so that's not a good comparison either.

So if certain genres are not well received in Japan (the homebase of Nintendo/Sakurai), isn't it fair to say that these games would be less favored because it may end up resulting in lost sales?

>Violent debate again

Please don't...

:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultridley::ultsnake:

Already debunks that rule and Sakurai breaks fan rules all the time.

Also they manage to make Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden work in Injustice toning them down, you know one of the most violent video games of all time and among the reasons the ESRB exists. If they can manage to pull that off then Doom Slayer in Smash is no exception.
Injustice isn't smash, and even if the violence isn't a problem (it's fine), there's no indication that DOOM will be more favored because its not well received in Japan...you know the place where sakurai mentioned about raising the profile of Japanese games?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom