• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I know I'm most likely in the minority here, but I honestly can't see much in the way of big, super hype-worthy third-party newcomers going forward. Thus far, newcomer reveals have always sizzled out towards the end, and as of right now, it doesn't seem to be going any differently. Like, no offense to Terry and SNK fans - I genuinely probably like him already most out of all the Fighter's Pass characters so far - but he really didn't get the same kind of reception that the likes of Hero and Banjo got. If anything, I'm already moreso reminded of the reveals of Isabelle and (sorry) Ken last year. All that's really missing now is another Incineroar kinda reveal, which I'd imagine could either be another less big third-party character, or even a first-party.

That aside, though - when does everyone else here think is FP5 going to be revealed? With Terry already coming out in November, I wouldn't be too surprised if that also came a bit sooner than expected, both in terms of reveal and release.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah until I hear otherwise I’m assuming the following:

There is no Battle Pass 2/Season2
Future DLC is sold individually
No new companies (excluding whoever is Battle Pass character 5)
Echos and semi clones are extremely likely

Sakurai seemed to indicate that he’s just crunching out as much as possible going forward, so I don’t see him committing to a Battle Pass again if he’s not sure how much time he has to work on it. This coupled with rumors that his team is getting downsized means they won’t be able to invest in anything crazy, so characters that are easier to implement will likely take priority over characters that require negotiation or whole new assets.
what do you mean the there downsizing the team? where are these rumors coming from

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
what do you mean the there downsizing the team? where are these rumors coming from
He did say that, but they can always re-hire for another project.
The team will naturally decrease for fighter's pass 1 as time goes on due to less staff being needed with the workload decreasing, but these contractors can be re-hired for the new project: fighter's pass 2.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I believe Sakurai wrote in his book that as they're developing DLC the development team becomes smaller and smaller. I'm not sure about rumors but this came from Sakurai himself.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I know I'm most likely in the minority here, but I honestly can't see much in the way of big, super hype-worthy third-party newcomers going forward. Thus far, newcomer reveals have always sizzled out towards the end, and as of right now, it doesn't seem to be going any differently. Like, no offense to Terry and SNK fans - I genuinely probably like him already most out of all the Fighter's Pass characters so far - but he really didn't get the same kind of reception that the likes of Hero and Banjo got. If anything, I'm already moreso reminded of the reveals of Isabelle and (sorry) Ken last year. All that's really missing now is another Incineroar kinda reveal, which I'd imagine could either be another less big third-party character, or even a first-party.

That aside, though - when does everyone else here think is FP5 going to be revealed? With Terry already coming out in November, I wouldn't be too surprised if that also came a bit sooner than expected, both in terms of reveal and release.
I guess it will probably depend on who that character is and what that character's predicted reception amongst the fanbase could be. If it's someone like Ryu Hayabusa to close off Fighter Pass 1, he might be included in the presentation where Terry is released shortly afterwards and slated for release in two months time in a November Direct of some kind. Hayabusa would definitely have a positive reception, but he wouldn't make the same amount of waves like Joker or Banjo.

If it's Doomguy, they'd probably take a shot at the place where DOOM Eternal would grab a lot of attention, The Game Awards. Doomguy would definitely grab the attention for a finale at that time.

It could also be Geno as well, if they wanted to set the stage for future DLC. But it's hard to say for now since we've yet to finish this current pass.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
He did say that, but they can always re-hire for another project.
The team will naturally decrease for fighter's pass 1 as time goes on due to less staff being needed with the workload decreasing, but these contractors can be re-hired for the new project: fighter's pass 2.
hmm well still i'd assume if they do a new company for the pass it would just be one each pass or something

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad would be PART of a general Toad moveset, not the star of the show.
So Captain Toad would be an alt of Toad.
How would you incorporate Captain into a classic Toad moveset outside the costume, Ben?

Not saying I'm against but stats wise the two are pretty different at first glance. Toad is a speedster, Captain seems like a heavyweight thanks to the backpack.

That said: gimme the two for one Toad/Captain Toad and Toadette deal, thx.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Parappa the Rapper music would be amazing. Also we'd be getting everyone quoting them. It'd be great.
Directly owned by Sony, who is considerably less friendlier than Microsoft towards Smash and has never been associated with Nintendo ever. Never happening.

That being said, a Rhythm Heaven character would be nice, if you want to add that genre into Smash.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Terry Bogard is the 4th fighter, and while he represents Fatal Fury, his stage is a KoF arena. I'd expect at least a track or two from the franchise because of that.
Crazy how I got my hopes up expecting something with an official confirmation with how you worded your initial post, but got some random speculation in the end.

I'll wait until the Terry demonstration video to see if we're getting any KoF tracks; after all, the trailer said Smash Ultimate x Fatal Fury for a reason imo.

Anyway, give me playable KoF characters and music in Smash pls.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I believe Sakurai wrote in his book that as they're developing DLC the development team becomes smaller and smaller. I'm not sure about rumors but this came from Sakurai himself.
It's not really surprising because developing a handful of characters, stages and mii costumes is a lot less demanding than developing THE ENTIRE GAME.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Had to go search for this because of some people talking about negotiation nightmares:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

It may not mean much for some, but then I remember when some people here were making Hero a giant nightmare to negotiate for Smash, and I believe this phrase alone echoes well on how many third-parties have come to Smash since the last game.
A few reasons why some people were saying that because Hero is owned by Square Enix, the same IP holder of Final Fantasy, the series with a decent (lack of) content included in the Super Smash Bros series. For example, the Final Fantasy summons are present in the game but there is no trophies or spirits of them. There is little to none new content of Final Fantasy added later on. There is only two tracks putting something like Undertale or Fossil Fighters "dangerously close" to Final Fantasy despite Final Fantasy having a rich history with music and playing other tracks in the trailers like the Chocobo theme and the bombing opening. They didn't include the Chocobo and Geno Mii Costume as well as Cloud Strife still speaking Japanese only despite other Union Actors such as the Metal Gear cast or the Kid Icarus cast still reprising their roles in Super Smash Bros. Sakurai has spoken about "twisting a few arms" to make Super Smash Bros a reality causing people to think Sakurai is referring to Square Enix.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

Being able to include every fighter is a real luxury, and–knowing that opportunity doesn’t knock twice–I seized the moment and twisted some arms to make this dream a reality. Thankfully, the folks at Nintendo agreed to help, despite the risks involved.
Or being "hard to work with"
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-the-process-of-choosing-and-including-songs/
Every time we use a song from a guest series we have to shell out a lot of money for the right to use that song. It’d be difficult to acquire the rights to every song from every game, so – as we were only able to record a few songs for them – some titles might feel a bit underrepresented.
while other third parties, like Castlevania, have over 30 songs. So they're using this quote to say that Square Enix was greedy and asking way too much for the use of their songs.

Sakurai has yet to give an official explanation for the little Final Fantasy content some people are not satisfied with.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Sorry, see that error made a lot around here and I wanted to correct it.

IDK, hype responsibly of course but that's a lil' little amount of faith put in when they were clearly like "don't worry, there's more fighters coming and more opportunity to please the fans".

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
This is just a passing thought, but it seems to me like every Fighter Pass character has been a representative of a previously un-represented Japanese company in some way. Joker is technically Sega, but Shin Megami Tensei (and Persona) are Atlus's flagship series. Hero comes from Dragon Quest which was created by Enix, unlike Cloud who comes from Final Fantasy before the merger with Squaresoft. Terry represents SNK, which until now had been left out in the cold. Banjo was Sakurai going above and beyond to get Rare's mascot character. All of these characters came from developers who are now owned by companies that Nintendo has good relations with.

So, considering that going forward, some other possibilities I can think of...

Hudson: Now part of Konami. Their biggest character, Bomberman, is an Assist Trophy. Other possibilities include Master Higgins (Adventure Island), Yugo (Bloody Roar), Bonk (Bonk), and TwinBee (TwinBee).

Tecmo: Merged with Koei. Represented by a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy. Could possibly get Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) or a Dead or Alive character.

Fromsoftware: Published by Namco. No representation yet. Could get a Dark Souls character on account of DS Remastered being on the Switch.

Natsume: Has no representation whatsoever in Smash. Their biggest series is Harvest Moon. Other possibilities include a Lufia or River King character, or Pocky and Rocky.

Compile: Original developers of Madou Monogatari/Puyo Puyo, now owned by Sega. Sakurai could include Arle seeing as she's highly-requested in Japan and would represent the original company's legacy.

Chunsoft: Merged with Spike. Developers of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Could get Shiren the Wanderer as a character, but seems unlikely.

Can you think of any others?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is just a passing thought, but it seems to me like every Fighter Pass character has been a representative of a previously un-represented Japanese company in some way. Joker is technically Sega, but Shin Megami Tensei (and Persona) are Atlus's flagship series. Hero comes from Dragon Quest which was created by Enix, unlike Cloud who comes from Final Fantasy before the merger with Squaresoft. Terry represents SNK, which until now had been left out in the cold. Banjo was Sakurai going above and beyond to get Rare's mascot character. All of these characters came from developers who are now owned by companies that Nintendo has good relations with.

Hudson: Now part of Konami. Their biggest character, Bomberman, is an Assist Trophy. Other possibilities include Master Higgins (Adventure Island), Yugo (Bloody Roar), Bonk (Bonk), and TwinBee (TwinBee).

Tecmo: Merged with Koei. Represented by a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy. Could possibly get Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) or a Dead or Alive character.

Fromsoftware: Published by Namco. No representation yet. Could get a Dark Souls character on account of DS Remastered being on the Switch.

Natsume: Has no representation whatsoever in Smash. Their biggest series is Harvest Moon. Other possibilities include a Lufia or River King character, or Pocky and Rocky.

Compile: Original developers of Madou Monogatari/Puyo Puyo, now owned by Sega. Sakurai could include Arle seeing as she's highly-requested in Japan and would represent the original company's legacy.

Chunsoft: Merged with Spike. Developers of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Could get Shiren the Wanderer as a character, but seems unlikely.

Rare and Microsoft aren't Japanese though

D

Deleted member

I think that both Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy are strong candidates of being a Game Awards reveal for Fighter 5.

Doh the reveal could also happen at Terry’s presentation.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, my only problem with Final Fantasy (and Dragon Quest) music in Smash Bros is that none of them are rearrangements (made for smash, obviously). We don't really need 300 songs from each game, but Smash set the bar WAY too high at this point, anything less than above average is met with dissapointiment.

so guy's what 3rd party series would you want in just for the music alone? games that have great soundtracks that you'd love to hear remixes of or just see in smash
Ys!
The one game I wouldn't mind if none of the songs were remade for Smash.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Falcom?

D

Deleted member

I know this is kinda off-topic, but i just wanna point out that i haven't seen anybody using Simon or Richter recently. Are they so low-placed on the tier list?
They have arguably the worst disadvantage state in the game, once you get up close to them their options are very limited. They also have issues like being combo food, meh mobility and a ****ty recovery.

D

Deleted member

I feel fighter 5 presentation will come in November with the first post fighter pass character at TGA.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well there is Level-5 with Layton and Jibanyan as their most notable characters
There are the guys who do Blazblue, I forgot their name...
Marvelous Entertainment, I forgot who they have....

And then there is the guy who does the Touhou series.

And I think that's pretty much it as far as unrepped Japanese companies go, I think, maybe....

Well there is Comcept who was bought by Level-5 to become Level-5 Comcept not too long ago but I don't know if anyone's dying to see Mighty Number 9 in Smash anytime soon...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well there is Level-5 with Layton and Jibanyan as their most notable characters
There are the guys who do Blazblue, I forgot their name...
Marvelous Entertainment, I forgot who they have....

And then there is the guy who does the Touhou series.

And I think that's pretty much it as far as unrepped Japanese companies go, I think, maybe....

Well there is Comcept who was bought by Level-5 to become Level-5 Comcept not too long ago but I don't know if anyone's dying to see Mighty Number 9 in Smash anytime soon...
How about Gunvolt (IntiCreates)? I’d even be content with a Mii costume with Beyond the Blue/Eternal Blue as included BGM

D

Deleted member

You mention Koei but not talk about them being a possibility. Tecmo may have Ninja Gaiden and DoA, but Koei's got the entire Warriors franchise under their name. It's possible that a character from either Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors could end up taking the last spot in the Fighter Pass while throwing a lot of people off since they don't actually expect to see it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

cothero

Smash Lord
I think that both Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy are strong candidates of being a Game Awards reveal for Fighter 5.

Doh the reveal could also happen at Terry’s presentation.
Crash is definetly a good candidate to be added in Smash, but Doomguy's chances - although not impossible - are kinda low. All this Doomguy babble started when some ****ty *** leaker said that he was going to be one of the characters in the fighter pass before Joker was announced:

https://i.imgtc.com/7E1ItbQ.png

Since then, people are giving credibility to that leak mostly because Joker and Hero (the leaker mentioned Erdrick specifically) ended up being added. Doomguy's name is in everyone's mind since then and now of a sudden he became a strong contender. As i stated before, the Smash community is highly suggestive.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
You mention Koei but not talk about them being a possibility. Tecmo may have Ninja Gaiden and DoA, but Koei's got the entire Warriors franchise under their name. It's possible that a character from either Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors could end up taking the last spot in the Fighter Pass while throwing a lot of people off since they don't actually expect to see it happen.
aren't the characters in the warriors' games based on like real people that would be pretty lame

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Crash is definetly a good candidate to be added in Smash, but Doomguy's chances - although not impossible - are kinda low. All this Doomguy babble started when some ****ty *** leaker said that he was going to be one of the characters in the fighter pass before Joker was announced:

https://i.imgtc.com/7E1ItbQ.png

Since then, people are giving credibility to that leak mostly because Joker and Hero (the leaker mentioned Erdrick specifically) ended up being added. Doomguy's name is in everyone's mind since then and now of a sudden he became a strong contender. As i stated before, the Smash community is highly suggestive.
However, it's not impossible that Doom Slayer could get in, considering that he fits in well with Nintendo and Sakurai's desire for the FP to appeal to many different groups of people. Also, Doom Eternal drops in November and Doom Slayer could join the roster to advertise that game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
so guy's what 3rd party series would you want in just for the music alone? games that have great soundtracks that you'd love to hear remixes of or just see in smash
This is a way out there pick and not likely because of the BS that EA's pulling but Mass Effect has an amazing soundtrack!

Also Halo's music is always pretty solid!

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Arc System Works. They own the rights to Double Dragon and Kunio-kun giving them the retro pedigree and BlazBlue & Guilty Gear are obviously very highly regarded. Although I'm not sure if the gorgeous artwork for both of those would translate to Smash... (Obviously Dragon Ball FighterZ nailed the 3D/2D hybrid, but still...)

D

Deleted member

aren't the characters in the warriors' games based on like real people
I've addressed the argument about the characters being based on actual people multiple times.

Yes, a lot of the characters in both series are indeed those that existed in real life. However, Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are video game franchises. Sure, they may be based off of actual historical events (and in Dynasty Warriors case, the ROTK novel), but they didn't start off as a manga series like Dragon Ball did or start off as a comic book series like Batman. The Warriors franchise have relatively stayed as a video game franchise, and the characters that are based on real people are Koei's version of them, which to me makes them distinct enough to be considered more of a video game character than someone like Batman from the Arkham games.

The argument against them would pretty much fall in line with the "Sora might not be considered a video game character" argument that was happening last night, except this might actually fit more with the Warriors franchises than Kingdom Hearts. If Nintendo doesn't view Dynasty Warriors, a video game series that is only based off of a very old novel set in the Three Kingdoms period of China and nothing more, a video game franchise, then it'll probably be blacklisted in Smash. However, we'll never know if this is actually the case since Nintendo won't be bothered to answer a question like that anyways, so as far as I'm concerned, a Warriors character in Smash is a possibility.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Rare and Microsoft aren't Japanese, so this argument is baseless.

D

Deleted member

I also find the idea of Figher 5 getting shown at Terry’s presentation pretty strong and likely.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I still do lean towards Western third parties being an exception rather than the rule going into future DLC. I know they've dominated a lot of speculation, but this Fighter's Pass still communicates just how intent Sakurai is on representing Japanese gaming above all else by including Atlus, Enix (of Square Enix), and SNK with a very strong likelihood that Fighter #5 will also come from a Japanese developer/publisher. Banjo & Kazooie are our first Western third party, and they've obviously got extenuating circumstances since they were still first produced under the watchful eye of Nintendo. We've yet to get a full on Western rep and Sakurai has reiterated in the past how he does want Japanese gaming represented in Smash. I'm thinking we might get one, maybe two Western reps, but I don't expect them to start suddenly dominating DLC either, and even then, I expect them to generally be ones that hold more sway in Japan like Crash Bandicoot and (sort of) Sora.

I know Doom Slayer gets a lot of talk, and as iconic as he is here, Doom isn't nearly the same powerhouse in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the game... but I'm also not as confident as many people seem to be.

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
Crazy how I got my hopes up expecting something with an official confirmation with how you worded your initial post, but got some random speculation in the end.

I'll wait until the Terry demonstration video to see if we're getting any KoF tracks; after all, the trailer said Smash Ultimate x Fatal Fury for a reason imo.

Anyway, give me playable KoF characters and music in Smash pls.
Didn't mean to mislead. I guess it is just speculation, but I can't see how they'd have a KoF stage without KoF music.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Crono Trigger was mentioned, I don’t even think his chances are that outlandish honestly. It’s a well celebrated RPG, and a remake might just happen.
Please, god, just make it look like Dragon Ball FighterZ...

You, uh... heard the news, right...?
The news is Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, not King of Fighters. So Terry might not come with KoF music.

Terry Bogard is the 4th fighter, and while he represents Fatal Fury, his stage is a KoF arena.
It should be noted that the tournament in the Fatal Fury series is ALSO called The King Of Fighters tournament. So the stage still might not have anything to do with the KoF games.

Toad is a speedster, Captain seems like a heavyweight thanks to the backpack.
Well his reveal trailer would HAVE to have him removing his backpack/switching it for a smaller one, because you NEED to be able to jump in Smash.

ArcSys. Who COULD be represented by Sol Badguy...

But should totally be represented by Kunio.

I also find the idea of Figher 5 getting shown at Terry’s presentation pretty strong and likely.
I REALLY liked the way they did it this time.

"The previous new character is being released today. Here's the trailer for the NEXT new character. Also, there's a separate Smash Direct afterwards for all the deep dive stuff so we don't eat up a bunch of time during the Nintendo Direct."

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai be like : "Yo what if I made Doom popular in Japan :surprised::surprised::surprised:"
lmao
Just saying the promotion thingy can go either way lol

Last edited:

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
It should be noted that the tournament in the Fatal Fury series is ALSO called The King Of Fighters tournament. So the stage still might not have anything to do with the KoF games.
I suppose that's what I get for not doing my research then. Looked like one of the arenas from KoF though, from what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom