• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah for real. I wanna see more female characters for the sake of variety, but this waifu talk is beyond cringeworthy. This isn't 4Chan or anime Twitter, stop acting like total creeps
I live my waifus and sexy girla as much as the next guy, but i like my female choices for more the jusy sexuality. Shantae for example, some people say shes just fap baot, but shes very likeable, fun personality, and great gameplay.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In the same way Nakoruru may seem more unique than Terry, there are also more distinct SF characters than Ryu/Ken and more interesting ARMS characters than Spring-Man, but clearly going that other way is not really how Smash works.

I get why people would want her, but hopefully they also realized that expecting her was divorcing their logic from precedent, and therefore probably not something to bank on.
By that logic then Kyo should be the one chosen. And in any case i dont think it'd matter much, considering it's a fighting game.

And it doesn't always need to follow precedent either.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
So, in an attempt to finally move past the discourse for now...

What characters would you all want that have basically 0 chance of getting in? I'd go with Duna from Fossil Fighters because it's a Jojo reference she's really unique as a character and would definitely be crazy in Smash
Without a doubt, a Valve rep. Preferably a merc from Team Fortress 2, but I'd more than happily take anyone from Portal, Half Life or Left 4 Dead.

D

Deleted member

I am basically cool with KoF in general getting in.

I played the PS4 demo of KoF XIV and really enjoyed what I played.

That and the fact the DQ8 Hero getting added has made me find Smash Ultimate 100% perfect already.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
In the same way Nakoruru may seem more unique than Terry, there are also more distinct SF characters than Ryu/Ken and more interesting ARMS characters than Spring-Man, but clearly going that other way is not really how Smash works.

I get why people would want her, but hopefully they also realized that expecting her was divorcing their logic from precedent, and therefore probably not something to bank on.
Nakoruru is perfectly suited for Smash given she's way more popular than Haohmaru(3rd place compared to 9th place in the 2018 SNK character popularity poll) and Samurai Shodown has been significant lately for SNK, with the game being at EVO and also having a Switch release late this year.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If I didn't think it was grossly off topic I'd say it was time some people got a lesson in objectification vs sexualisation.

As it stands I'll just say; if you don't get why some people would have issue with Mai's design over Nakoruru then I'm not sure what to say.

So let's go with this as a palette cleanser question: do we think the spirits for Terry will be focused on just Fatal Fury? King of Fighters? Or a wider selection of SNK properties?

Also both Hero and Joker have had their full playable parties as the last Spirit match, do we think Banjo & Terry will get something similar?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
God I hope tomorrow that we'll see Vergeben, Sabi and the rest of the annoying """"leakers""""" get BTFO and thrown into the deep black wormhole of irrelevance F O R E V E R.

I've nothing against Terry, Nakoruru, Mai or any of their fans or supporters who want them in Smash but Jesus Christ the leaks of this game is the most long winded drawn out crap ever. At least Gematsu gave a shortlist without some annoying internet "personality" behind it

I don't expect it, but Allah willing I sure hope it happens.
Best case scenario for everyone is that Mai or Nako gets in and Terry gets CHROM'D tomorrow at the direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, I saw the copyright logo in person Teeb147 Teeb147 .

I was chatting at the Papageno’s server as usual, someone suddenly posted a screenshot of that and quickly went to check in person since Nintendo’s Spain site is the default one for me.

And yup, it was there as shocking as it felt for me.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
By that logic then Kyo should be the one chosen. And in any case i dont think it'd matter much, considering it's a fighting game.

If they are doing Smash Bros X King of Fighters, than it should be/have been Kyo, Terry is flat out wrong in this scenario.
But if it's Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, than Terry is 100% correct, as Kyo never appeared in any Fatal Fury.

Really, Smash Bros always picked the main character of a new series, I'd absolutely hate to see them changing that with Kyo and KOF.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So, I've never played a KoF game, but from what little I know, Terry isn't exactly the main character, is he? Just the most popular one?

The Sans fan in me is curious about this.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
KoF has Kyo, Fatal Fury has Terry
Terry can be considered a KOF character at this point though as he’s been in every KOF past a certain point and Fatal Fury’s last game was literally 20 years ago

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Best case scenario for everyone is that Mai or Nako gets in and Terry gets CHROM'D tomorrow at the direct.
Nobody deserves what Chrom got in Smash 4, it takes a special kind of evil to enjoy something like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By that logic then Kyo should be the one chosen.
And by that logic Sakurai looked only at KoF when selecting Terry.

And in any case i dont think it'd matter much, considering it's a fighting game.
That's not a genre devoid of central characters.

I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nobody deserves what Chrom got in Smash 4, it takes a special kind of evil to enjoy something like that.
Cries in Mecha-Fiora

Which, given Chrom’s special caveat this time around, does give me a small sliver of hope...

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
For someone who's never played a KoF game and doesn't have much experience with SNK, I can kind of understand the argument that Terry looks "generic" and "boring" at first glance, but yeah, he definitely has a lot going for him, and I'm sure he'll bring his own flair to Smash. I grew up playing a lot of KoF in the arcades in the '90s, and Terry was always my character of choice (I would mostly just spam Power Wave, but that's beside the point...), so I'm totally hyped about Terry coming to Smash, and he's my top SNK choice of character. I understand why people would prefer other characters from SNK, but I personally couldn't be happier about Terry being the SNK rep.

I mostly just wanted to make this post to bring some more positivity regarding Terry. I'm ready to do some Power Waves!

StormC

Smash Hero
I can already see we're at the bargaining stage of Terry being in Smash.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I know, what I meant was that atleast Terry would be setup to be in Smash in the next game like Chrom

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Then I guess I am as evil as evil can be. :smirk:

I don't mind Terry, he definitely deserves it, but man would I get excited as hell if we got Mai, Athena or Nakoruru instead. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nakoruru is perfectly suited for Smash given she's way more popular than Haohmaru(3rd place compared to 9th place in the 2018 SNK character popularity poll) and Samurai Shodown has been significant lately for SNK, with the game being at EVO and also having a Switch release late this year.
Her suitability was not what I was contesting.

Though comparing her popularity to a character we're also not getting doesn't prove much. Also, for what it's worth, Ryu placed ninth in SF's official popularity poll, and look how that turned out.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
King of Fighters is much bigger than fatal fury, so it'd be weird to rep ff.

And I think Samurai showdown is much more special and interesting if it comes to that, and while I'd dare say better as a fighting game, I don't really want to get into that debate :p I also can't find sales figures so it's hard to compare.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Totally with them too. No joke at Evo me and my roommate were watching and started getting hype as **** over the very idea that they could hit us with a surprise Terry reveal. The fact that it's actually gonna (maybe) happen has us losing our minds.

YEAH BABYYYY
I got you both beat pretty hard:
Snip.PNG

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly, at this point who cares how similar or different Terry is compared to the rest of the Smash characters. The point is he looks like a boring and generic ****ing character and Nakoruru is much more interesting and unique. It's that simple.
Is it just me or did you just say the same thing twice?
Terry is a massive disappointment that might be taking such an amazing opportunity away from a much better character for Smash. I'm not going to shut up about that until at least after his potential announcement or release.
Thank God the Direct is tomorrow.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Thank god the direct is tomorrow so they can finally confirm Professor Layton as the next dlc fighter lmao

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Her suitability was not what I was contesting.

Though comparing her popularity to a character we're also not getting doesn't prove much. Also, for what it's worth, Ryu placed ninth in SF's official popularity poll, and look how that turned out.
If Samurai Shodown was the game being considered for the crossover instead of Fatal Fury or KoF, then Nakoruru would be perfectly suitable for the spot. That’s why I made the comparison between her and Haohmaru. She’s a prime face and mascot of that game, so it wouldn’t really be breaking too much precedent if she were given the spot.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

These DLC characters aren't of the form Smash x Company. They're of the form Smash x Franchise, e.g. Smash x Persona and Smash x Dragon Quest.
If they are doing Smash Bros X King of Fighters, than it should be/have been Kyo, Terry is flat out wrong in this scenario.
But if it's Smash Bros X Fatal Fury, than Terry is 100% correct, as Kyo never appeared in any Fatal Fury.

Really, Smash Bros always picked the main character of a new series, I'd absolutely hate to see them changing that with Kyo and KOF.
If it's Smash x Samurai Shodown, Nakoruru is competing with Haohmaru, not Kyo or Terry.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So, in an attempt to finally move past the discourse for now...

What characters would you all want that have basically 0 chance of getting in? I'd go with Duna from Fossil Fighters because it's a Jojo reference she's really unique as a character and would definitely be crazy in Smash
Byleth. I've loved them since I first got Three Hosues, and their moveset speaks for itself.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or did you just say the same thing twice?
I said nothing twice. People here have been arguing over how similar or different Terry would play in Smash compared to Ken. And I said he just looks boring and generic in general, as in character design, not necessarily how he would play and not comparing him specifically with Smash characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd probably be livid at Terry if K. Rool wasn't in.

It's good to be king.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Man just imagine if the direct was next week with all this bickering.. I am so glad we are going to get this over with tomorrow. :p

KatKit

Smash Lord
With a potential SNK rep on the way, it'll be even more weird that Tekken is largely absent (aside from a taunt reference). We got Virtua Fighter representation in the form of an assist trophy and Street Fighter reps. I'm telling y'all, if/when there's a season 2, expect Heihachi.

D

Deleted member

Imagine if there's no Smash news in tomorrows Direct...
I just hope they reveal the potential Collector’s Edition of DQXI S and a gameplay trailer for the Marvel Knights DLC in UA3.

The former also seems pretty possible based on this part of the Overwatch leak:

4BC4DC55-64F6-4094-BD36-443F7EF115F7.jpeg

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a reminder (I feel like this needs to be done before every Direct) that regardless of what Smash news we get, if any, don't be a jerk to people because a certain character got in or didn't get in.

This was probably more of an issue back during E3, where the boards were divided into Banjo fans vs. Steve fans, or Dragon Quest fans vs. fans of any other Square-Enix character, but given how much vitriol has been spewed over the past day or so because of rumours and leaks, it bears repeating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom