• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also it's weird seeing some people call a Terry reveal underwhelming because for me a common sentiment I see outside this forum is people being LIVID this leaked because it would've been the hypest reveal for them.

Lotta people love SNK and KoF man, especially latin america. No one thought a character from them would get in Smash so it would've been Joker levels of "holy crap this actually happened" out of left field. Would've been SUCH a cool surprise.
Totally with them too. No joke at Evo me and my roommate were watching and started getting hype as **** over the very idea that they could hit us with a surprise Terry reveal. The fact that it's actually gonna (maybe) happen has us losing our minds.

yall know i had to do it to 'em, get hype.

YEAH BABYYYY

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This thread rn comes off as "i dont know who terry is and im angry i didnt get who i wanted and instead of coming up w an objective argument im going to just say buzzwords to degrade terry and say he doesnt deserve to be in because i wanted a diff char"

This feels like corrin 2.0 in terms of ppl being angry
I mean, there’s only like two or three people who are arguing against Terry in here. And those posts get like one or two likes. Then posts like yours in support of Terry are numerous and get way more likes.

The points you guys are making are valid but why do you need to play victim and act like the anti-Terry stuff is the popular opinion? On reddit, the top comments are the ones poking fun at those upset, not the other way around. And on there they karamwhore too and are like “aM I thE OnlY oNe WhO LiKE TeRRy Hurr Durr SmASh FaNbaSe arE BabIEs”, with like 1k upvotes.

Like what you guys are saying is valid, but you don’t need to act like you’re the minority here.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Here's a reminder of how much more interesting, unique, and better Nakoruru would be for Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pls go play other video games sometimes.
I think that’s the problem with most people here and on social media saying Terry is a literally who.

They just didn’t play SNK fighting games. That and/or they don’t live in Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, etc.) where King of Fighters is very popular.

It is not just Terry. It’s happened with Hero when people said they were literally whos and that they would be too similar to Link. Most people complaining about Hero didn’t play Dragon Quest games (which leads to lack of familiarity of DQ protagonists and not knowing how unique they would be) and/or don’t live in Japan (which leads to lack of awareness of how huge the series really is).

cothero

Smash Lord
I think that’s the problem with most people here and on social media saying Terry is a literally who.

They just didn’t play SNK fighting games. That and/or they don’t live in Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, etc.) where King of Fighters is very popular.

It is not just Terry. It’s happened with Hero when people said they were literally whos and that they would be too similar to Link. Most people complaining about Hero didn’t play Dragon Quest games (which leads to lack of familiarity of DQ protagonists and not knowing how unique they would be) and/or don’t live in Japan (which leads to lack of awareness of how huge the series really is).
Thank you!

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Do yall think Girl terry would be an equal split or just 2 girl terry alts with 6 of the classic look
or maybe theyll pull a 4 classic alts, 2 girl alts, 2 jacket alts

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I mean, there’s only like two or three people who are arguing against Terry in here. And those posts get like one or two likes. Then posts like yours in support of Terry are numerous and get way more likes.

The points you guys are making are valid but why do you need to play victim and act like the anti-Terry stuff is the popular opinion? On reddit, the top comments are the ones poking fun at those upset, not the other way around. And on there they karamwhore too and are like “aM I thE OnlY oNe WhO LiKE TeRRy Hurr Durr SmASh FaNbaSe arE BabIEs”, with like 1k upvotes.

Like what you guys are saying is valid, but you don’t need to act like you’re the minority here.
Meanwhile Terry is still losing the snk character vote to Nakoruru.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Being fair, as someone else said, you can't expect people to have played every single game franchise under the sun, no matter how famous or popular they may be, how many people do you think have played every single franchise that every character in the roster is in before?

There is also the fact that everyone has different tastes and what kind of games or genres they enjoy.

I can acknowledge and appreciate the history and legacy each character has for themselves, but at the end of the day, if I have no history or personal attachment to them, then that's just that, I can go out and try their game out if I want, or just go and play as someone I'm more familiar with and/or like more. (or just go with whoever is the most competitively viable I suppose) But I suppose that's part of what makes Smash so special, to introduce people to new franchises they otherwise never heard of and maybe even catch their interest to try out their game of origin too. Which is probably partly why some people support some of the characters they do, to get more people interested in the franchises they grew up with and came to adore.

But that's just my two cent's on the matter...

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Honestly Terry is no where near being le epic Corrin 2.0. Terry, and SNK as a whole have been around for decades, and many people are actually behind the idea of him joining Smash. Corrin didn't even exist in the english speaking world when he was revealed for Smash 4. If anyone was Corrin 2.0, I'd wager it would be :ultincineroar: or :ultpiranha:, and that was because one was labeled as the "villain" to the Grinch leak, and the other was requested by zero people when he was revealed. But even then they barely scratch the surface of the hate that Corrin got. Almost not even comparable

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really think people need to relax. You guys that are against Terry know that SNK is extremely important for the history of fighting games, and crossovers as well. Capcom vs SNK was the crossover game in the mid 90s, and really started everythong going for it. Smash wouldnt be a thing without SNK i feel.

However, i do see some peoples idea that Terry make lool like a generic fighter, like Ryu and Ken. He plays much differently then them, but transitioning them into smash worries you guys he may not be as special or unique as the other fighters. I think he does have his own unique gimics from his games. A unique super and special meter that he could use to eother extend combos or power up his specials, more so then just doing a comand input for the SF guys would make him more unique. He wont be as unique as joker or Hero, unless Sakurao goes wild and gives a pokemon trainer like design to him, but even without that it is fine. He will not be a copy of any other fighter.

Plus, he brings some great engrish quotable lines. That will be worth half his inclusion.

However, cant we all just agree that really anyone Sakurai adds to this game will be huge great additions. No joke characters, no throw away ones, no half assed additions. Every and every character Sakurai adds is super detailed and impressive. And we should be celebrating that.

So lets stop with the angry back and forth if someone is worth being in smash, because anyone sakurai feels is worth being in more then earned their way into the game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's a reminder of how much more interesting, unique, and better Nakoruru would be for Smash.
Let it go man...

I wanted Nakoruru too but going on about it and still complaining isn't changing the outcome. You also gotta realize Terry's iconic status in gaming and his franchises legacy along with being the many inspirations of Smash. Its understandable why they'd go with him.

Despite his appearance too he plays much differently then:ultryu:and:ultken:

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
All this conversation about Terry and people never playing his games makes me depressed that my only attachment to him was having him in my M.U.G.E.N. roster when I was around twelve lmao

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All I know is that regardless of anything that's in terry's favor, whether iconic or the ability to make him different enough than ken/ryu,
he's incredibly boring to me, aesthetically and also his moveset from his game. If he's in then hopefully sakurai made him very interesting, but it'd still go down very poorly with me at least.

I think especially that there's maybe only 2 slots left, i'm looking at the whole of the dlc roster and it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Being fair, as someone else said, you can't expect people to play every single game franchise under the sun, no matter how famous or popular they may be, how many people do you think have played every single franchise that every character in the roster is in before?

There is also the fact that everyone has different tastes and what kind of games or genres they enjoy.

I can acknowledge and appreciate the history and legacy each character has for themselves, but at the end of the day, if I have no history or personal attachment to them, then that's just that, I can go out and try their game out, or just go and play as someone I'm more familiar with and/or like more. But I suppose that's part of what makes Smash so special, to introduce people to new franchises they otherwise never heard of and maybe even catch their interest to try out their game of origin too. Which is probably partly why some people support some of the characters they do, to get more people interested in the franchises they grew up with and came to adore.

But that's just my two cent's on the matter...
That's inevitable, isn't it? Given how fractured the video game field's always been? I mean, Smash started off as repping lets see... Platformers (Mario, DKC, Yoshi, Kirby), Adventure Games (Zelda, Metroid), Shooters (Star Fox), RPGs (Pokemon, EarthBound) and Racing (F-Zero) games.

Not many people would have played all of them back in '99.

And that's before Melee onwards added more franchises and genres. Third parties. And a much bigger reach.

I mean, Banjo was created by a British studio and now owned by Nintendo's American competitor Microsoft. The most speculated rep, whether it's Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru or anyone else SNK, is incredibly popular in LatAm and China - I should reemphasize, a Chinese joint venture bought up and owns SNK now.

And as for the future? Smash's reach may expand, because characters like Doomguy and Master Chief - FPS characters - are still not in. Alongside other genres like Minecraft's Steve. They might one day.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Let it go man...

I wanted Nakoruru too but going on about it and still complaining isn't changing the outcome. You also gotta realize Terry's iconic status in gaming and his franchises legacy along with being the many inspirations of Smash. Its understandable why they'd go with him.

Despite his appearance too he plays much differently then:ultryu:and:ultken:
Terry is a massive disappointment that might be taking such an amazing opportunity away from a much better character for Smash. I'm not going to shut up about that until at least after his potential announcement or release.

zferolie

Smash Hero
sakurai doesn't have a hand or influence on the dlc IIRC
They said in a past interview that he still has final say. If he thinks he can make a moveset he will do it.

All I know is that regardless of anything that's in terry's favor, whether iconic or the ability to make him different enough than ken/ryu,
he's incredibly boring to me, aesthetically and also his moveset from his game. If he's in then hopefully sakurai made him very interesting, but it'd still go down very poorly with me at least.

I think especially that there's maybe only 2 slots left, i'm looking at the whole of the dlc roster and it just doesn't work for me.
I think its almost a garuntee that we will get more. With the ingame slots, and how long the switchs life will be, it will be nuts not to give more passes. Hell sf5 still is releasing dlc

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's inevitable, isn't it? Given how fractured the video game field's always been? I mean, Smash started off as repping lets see... Platformers (Mario, DKC, Yoshi, Kirby), Adventure Games (Zelda, Metroid), Shooters (Star Fox), RPGs (Pokemon, EarthBound) and Racing (F-Zero) games.

Not many people would have played all of them back in '99.

And that's before Melee onwards added more franchises and genres. Third parties. And a much bigger reach.

I mean, Banjo was created by a British studio and now owned by Nintendo's American competitor Microsoft. The most speculated rep, whether it's Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru or anyone else SNK, is incredibly popular in LatAm and China - I should reemphasize, a Chinese joint venture bought up and owns SNK now.

And as for the future? Smash's reach may expand, because characters like Doomguy and Master Chief - FPS characters - are still not in. Alongside other genres like Minecraft's Steve. They might one day.
Yeah genre's and potential audiences will continue to expand for this game, and you'll have many fans from different gaming backgrounds and taste's joining in as the series goes on. So it may become harder to please everyone. Which is probably why they decided to just continue expanding on their audience and demographics for Smash and just try and get as many new fans into the series as possible.

Who knows how Smash may look in the future and who is included in the next 10-15 years or so.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I think its almost a garuntee that we will get more. With the ingame slots, and how long the switchs life will be, it will be nuts not to give more passes. Hell sf5 still is releasing dlc
At the very least I don't see it happening until a few months after the last fighter drops. Maybe E3 2020. Just to give poor Sakurai some time to breathe.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Half the people who keep posturing that we need a female character for representation purposes and that Terry doesn't deserve can't seem to help but slip in comments lusting after girl character's feet or calling girl character's that are 16 years old in their games "waifus".

I'm all for more women in the game, but some of y'all gotta stop telling on yourselves.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
So, in an attempt to finally move past the discourse for now...

What characters would you all want that have basically 0 chance of getting in? I'd go with Duna from Fossil Fighters because it's a Jojo reference she's really unique as a character and would definitely be crazy in Smash

kylexv

Smash Master
Jesus Christ we haven't even seen what the reveal is yet and this thread has bursted into flames.

As for me, I'm withholding my judgment until I actually see Terry's gameplay.

ze9

Smash Ace
Half the people who keep posturing that we need a female character for representation purposes and that Terry doesn't deserve can't seem to help but slip in comments lusting after girl character's feet or calling girl character's that are 16 years old in their games "waifus".

I'm all for more women in the game, but some of y'all gotta stop telling on yourselves.
Real feminists rally behind Dixie Kong.

zferolie

Smash Hero
At the very least I don't see it happening until a few months after the last fighter drops. Maybe E3 2020. Just to give poor Sakurai some time to breathe.
I dont think Sakurai knows how to take a break haha.

Jesus Christ we haven't even seen what the reveal is yet and this thread has bursted into flames.

As for me, I'm withholding my judgment until I actually see Terry's gameplay.
I am of this mindset as well. Its most liekely terry, but i want to wait and see.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Yeah for real. I wanna see more female characters for the sake of variety, but this waifu talk is beyond cringeworthy. This isn't 4Chan or anime Twitter, stop acting like total creeps

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If that's how they feel then at least they can be honest about it.

I really would like someone like Nakoruru instead of Mai because I dont want one to get in just because she's sexy. I'd like someone who'll be respected as much as possible.

I dont know how I feel about something like female terry, my impressions are not good for now, and it'd still be the same moveset :/

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

What characters would you all want that have basically 0 chance of getting in? I'd go with Duna from Fossil Fighters because it's a Jojo reference she's really unique as a character and would definitely be crazy in Smash
Since the odds of the Fighter Pass being third party only increase with each passing confirmation, Edelgard. She's quickly become my most wanted character and I think she'd be wonderful to have in Smash.

I suppose there's still a small chance she can be Fighter 5, but I'm less confident by the day (especially since I doubt we'll get anyone beyond Fighter 5, lol).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Exactly. The thirst is real.

I mean, wanting female characters in Smash is fine. But I don’t want them just because they are female. I want them because I like playing as them in their own games and I think they would be fun to play in Smash.

Dixie Kong and Shantae are some of my most wanted characters who just happen to be female. I really like DKC games and Shantae games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A few days ago, Garteam Garteam made an analysis about the leaked trademark. Here it is:

Here's an interesting quirk of the copyright that makes me think this is a minor mistake and not a legitimate leak.

On the Challenger's Pack #4 description, it says ©SNK Corporation All Rights Reserved. Now, this may seem like standard legal jargon, but the All Rights Reserved is actually noteworthy. Basically, stating "All Rights Reserved" is actually rather unnecessary. It's a leftover from a time where you had to actively proclaim your copyright or risk losing it. Nowadays, basically every country has shifted to granting this ownership of copyright as a default to artists and media companies, making "all rights reserved" largely redundant. A handful companies still use out of tradition, but it's a very optional thing.

So... what's this all have to do with Smash Bros? Well, Smash Bros doesn't use "all rights reserved" anywhere within its copyright. This alone doesn't mean much, as Nintendo could've included it as that's the way that SNK expresses their ownership. However, things get complicated when Hero is factored in. Hero's copyright information solely lists companies who have ownership of the Dragon Quest series (Square-Enix, Bird Studio, etc.) with no mention of Nintendo, HAL, etc. However, this claim of Hero's copyright is actually different than the way Dragon Quest's copyright is usually expressed, as that usually includes an All Rights Reserved.

For whatever reason, Smash Bros tends to forego "All Rights Reserved" in its copyrights, even when discussing franchises which traditionally utilize this language. This really hints this copyright was done by a legal team separate from the one involved in Smash Bros, thusly meaning that the SNK copyright of Challenger pack #4 was more likely misattributed than properly leaked.

TL;DR: The copyright for Challenger Pack #4 is mismatched with the rest of Smash's copyright formatting wise, so its probably not real.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Half the people who keep posturing
Asuming people are "posturing" and not sincere.
that we need a female character for representation purposes
People have all kinds of reasons for wanting females in their games, whether it's for representation purposes, finding them more aesthetically pleasing, or any other reason. They're all valid, especially when all of the dlc characters have been males so far. It's not too much to ask for more female characters when they're getting the short end of the stick.

can't seem to help but slip in comments lusting after girl character's feet
Is there something wrong with appreciating character designs that acknowledge one of the most common fetishes in the world?
or calling girl character's that are 16 years old in their games "waifus".
You're incredibly dense if you take a phrase so commonly adapted seriously.
If you were all for more women in the game, then you wouldn't be speaking out against those that want more women in the game.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

I want someone with a whipsword, and I want it to work like that of Ivy Valentine. I think Ivy Valentine is too sexualized to fit in Smash, though, so I support the following:

Rondoline E. Effenberg has a very low chance of getting in.

https://aselia.fandom.com/wiki/Rondoline_E._Effenberg

https://youtu.be/S8k2R_FiNws?t=88

My best hope is that Byleth gets in and uses the Sword of the Creator in a similar way.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Remember when people thought that Erdrick would play too similarily to other Sword users, because he just so happened to have a sword handle between his fingers?

Look how that turned out...
Erdrick didn't already have a moveset made for him, Terry does.

Since I'm still here, I might as well ask, how long was the 'snk' part of the smash website and how many people saw it there? (and not just a screenshot)
I saw it there on the Spanish version of the website. I don't know when it went down, but people say it was down once the media started reporting on it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In the same way Nakoruru may seem more unique than Terry, there are also more distinct SF characters than Ryu/Ken and more interesting ARMS characters than Spring-Man, but clearly going that other way is not really how Smash works.

I get why people would want her, but hopefully they also realized that expecting her was divorcing their logic from precedent, and therefore probably not something to bank on.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Akira Howard from Astral Chain probably has the coolest animations in any Nintendo game ever.

But this pass is all 3rd party so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom