• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
It still doesn't make sense for Ryu Hayabusa's trailer to be a continuation of Simon's. Like it should be in a cityscape or an old Japanese village. The way the leak describes it kind of makes sense, but why would the guy know the music selection?

Ryu Hayabusa is still one of the most likely fighters, but I don't believe the 4chan leak.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I know it is most likely going to be Terry, but deep down I hope its Marco. I really want a Metal Slug character. Its another on my list of most wanted characters that probably don't have a chance.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why we're impromptu wishlisting, but sure:

Third Party:
5. Phoenix Wright (+ Edgeworth Echo) - the Ace Attorney series is one of the DS's biggest properties, and Nick has been proven to work in a fighting game with MvC3. He'd bring a lot of variety to the table with his unorthodox origin.
4. MGS2 Raiden (Snake Echo) - Yes, an echo is on my top 5. Raiden is my favourite Metal Gear Solid protagonist and, given the playstyle of MGS2, it'd be easy to port him over. Maybe attach a few swordsmen's moves to change him up from Snake a bit?
3. Kainé - While Nier and 2B are the faces of the franchise, Kainé feels a bit like an unsung series mascot. 2B has costumes of her in both of her major game appearances, and despite being a sword user, her other powers could bring a lot to the table.
2. Raidou Kuzunoha - Probably the most unlikely one on this list, Raidou is my favourite SMT protagonist. What I wanted to see from Joker, and it unfortunately wasn't integrated, was special attacks briefly summoning different demons, and Raidou would be the perfect chance to integrate this.
1. Arbiter - While Master Chief is the more likely pick, and I'd still be super excited for him, Arbiter is who I really want. A Covenant-based moveset could bring so much to the table. Plasma grenades? Fuel rod cannons? Energy swords? Plasma pistols? There's so much that would work.
Honorable Mentions - Shantae, Alucard, Shadow the Hedgehog, Proto Man

First Party:
5. Diskun - He feels a bit like a missing companion to R.O.B. I'd love to see Diskun with attacks based on forgotten disk system games. Plus, his design is undeniably cute.
4. Satellaview - Can you tell I like old peripherals? Being a pair of characters, one of which is able to fly, there's a lot you could do with the Satellaview mascots.
3. Team Rocket - I'd love a foil for Pokemon Trainer. Jessie and James sitting it out in the back, with Meowth, Wobbuffet, and Arbok at their fingertips.
2. Ashley - I don't think I need to make a case for her, she's been one of the most wanted first party characters in the Smash community for a while now. There's a lot she could bring to the table, for sure.
1. Gothitelle - If you didn't see this coming a mile off, you need a new pair of glasses. Gothitelle is my favourite Pokemon, and while I know her only chance would be as an echo for Gardevoir (good times), I'd still absolutely love to see her make the cut. Very much my never-ever.
Honorable Mentions - Zapdos, Geno, Marx, Vaati

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Joker: B-
Hero: A
Banjo: A++
Terry: A
Hayabusa: A

I have no problems with the fighter’s pass, it’s been more than well worth it.

Especially if we compare it to previous DLC:

Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo: C+
Ryu: B+
Cloud: A-
Bayonetta: B-
Corrin: F - (see me after class)

We really did get a best case scenario. It coulda been way way WAY worse.
I beg to differ with that, but I don’t want to start an argument. So I guess we’ll just agree to disagree. Also, I’d like to know whether the grades you’re giving are your personal feelings or how you think the community feels. My grades were my own personal thoughts, but they would be changed if I were to make them based on the community’s thoughts.

Also just because you brought it up, here’s my personal take on Smash 4 DLC:

Mewtwo: A+
Lucas: A
Roy: A-
Ryu: B
Cloud: B-
Corrin: B
Bayo: B-

Didn’t really mind that the last few were characters I didn’t care for because for me, bringing back those 3 veterans started off DLC with a bang. So, personally, Smash 4 did a much better job of DLC. Though if we got my #1 overall pick as Fighter 5 (seems very unlikely at the moment) or got another Fighter’s Pass with characters I’m familiar with, I could still change my mind.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, I do. Nana's kind of a big deal to me. No Ice Climbers without her.

Jill over Leon? Hmmm...
You can control Nana directly with the even-numbered alt. colors.

But I also agree with @GoodGrief741, it’s not the Ice Climbers without her, and it’s not Banjo-Kazooie without the bird.
Well I guess I was thinking it wrong, yes I do think its not the ice climbers without her, but never thought of her as a female rep I guess. my bad,

IAmShifty made a response to all the SNK leaks. He's doubling down on Ryu Hayabusa being part of the fighters pass, claiming his sources didn't know about SNK but they're confident about Ryu Hayabusa being part of the fighters pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWP1fHUK0kA
Man he really is doubling on that huh?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I...Don't know how I feel right know. I'm super happy we are going to get an SNK Rep, but oh God I was so much rooting for Nakoruru. I love her and Samurai Shodown is my favorite fighting game alongside Smash. Terry is iconic and the fact that Ken and Ryu are in Smash will make a nice throwback to the old SNK Vs Capcom. Plus he has so much nice quote to use ingame. Unfortunately I usually don't play/enjoy brawler. I'm sure I will be happy later but for now it is a little bittersweet.

Edit: You know what? Screw that I'm hype and maybe Terry will open the way for other SNK characters in a futur Smash game.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey, I have a question for anybody who played KOF, any hopes for Terry's moves? (if he's in)
His normal moves and throws would be basic attacks from various fighting games. For his specials, these ones make sense to me, though I could see some of them being replaced by other attacks. (ex. his side B could be Power Dunk or Crack Shoot)

Up B: RISING TACO! (Rising Tackle)
B: POWAH WAVE! (Power Wave)
Side B: BARN NACKU (Burn Knuckle)
Down B: POWAH GEEZAH! (Power Geyser)
Final Smash: R U OK? BUSTA WOLF! (Buster Wolf)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
His normal moves and throws would be basic attacks from various fighting games. For his specials, these ones make sense to me, though I could see some of them being replaced by other attacks. (ex. his side B could be Power Dunk or Crack Shoot)

Up B: RISING TACO! (Rising Tackle)
B: POWAH WAVE! (Power Wave)
Side B: BARN NACKU (Burn Knuckle)
Down B: POWAH GEEZAH! (Power Geyser)
Final Smash: R U OK? BUSTA WOLF! (Buster Wolf)
I still think Crack Shoot's going to be his Down Special since Power Geyser is a super move though I suppose they may use it anyway since Crack Shoot looks like a normal and it's uniqueness relies on systems not present in Smash.

EDIT: Perhaps Crack Shoot will be a potent shield breaker.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fam, we still in this?

Just checked the reviews of a story I was following and saw that to him the SNK leak was still fake. I dunno 'bout you but are we all 90% sure it's gonna be it?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still think Crack Shoot's going to be his Down Special since Power Geyser is a super move though I suppose they may use it anyway since Crack Shoot looks like a normal and it's uniqueness relies on systems not present in Smash.

EDIT: Perhaps Crack Shoot will be a potent shield breaker.
That's a reasonable pick, especially since it was part of his moves in the first game along with Rising Tackle, Power Wave, and Burn Knuckle. I just went with Power Geyser because Crack Shoot was another attack that moves Terry horizontally (like Burn Knuckle), and I figured that Power Geyser seemed like a more natural fit for a downward special.

Also, the way that he shouts "Power Geezer!" is funnier for me - I'll admit that played a small role in my choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I beg to differ with that, but I don’t want to start an argument. So I guess we’ll just agree to disagree. Also, I’d like to know whether the grades you’re giving are your personal feelings or how you think the community feels. My grades were my own personal thoughts, but they would be changed if I were to make them based on the community’s thoughts.

Also just because you brought it up, here’s my personal take on Smash 4 DLC:

Mewtwo: A+
Lucas: A
Roy: A-
Ryu: B
Cloud: B-
Corrin: B
Bayo: B-

Didn’t really mind that the last few were characters I didn’t care for because for me, bringing back those 3 veterans started off DLC with a bang. So, personally, Smash 4 did a much better job of DLC. Though if we got my #1 overall pick as Fighter 5 (seems very unlikely at the moment) or got another Fighter’s Pass with characters I’m familiar with, I could still change my mind.
My feelings.

I don’t keep up with the community, nor do I think I’d agree with most of the modern consensus round these parts.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I remember back during Smash 4s final dlc reveals where I mentioned I was not satisfied with the entire roster of smash 4s newcomers. Basically I was told to get over it lol.

Now here I am extremely pleased with ultimates newcomers and DLC and I’ve noticed a lot of the people who are not happy about the DLC are a lot of those smash 4 people. So...get over it ;)

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of gunners and brawlers, it's very likely that they'll add Mii Fighters skins from SNK franchises like Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown or even KOF. I don't care much about Mii Fighters, but it's good to see some other characters having some recognition - even if it's as a Mii costume.
oh uh... nice, I guess...?

D

Deleted member

Theyre usually on thursadys from what i remember. The september ones for the last couple years + last years smash drrect were at least.
Dammit my class begins early in the morning. You guys celebrate without me, I still have college!

D

Deleted member

SHOUT OUT TO KIRBYGCN17 IF HE'S READING THIS I WANT A GOOD SHOT OF A GOOD AMOUNT OF PEOPLE AT THE NINTENDO STORE

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Sabi "says" the fourth Fighter is Terry. Sabi said that the image of a bird on a roof was a clue for the fourth Fighter. But both have nothing in common... except the star.
this and Vergeben waiting so long to say it is terry (likely because he was waiting to see what the general fan consensus was and just piggyback off of that) is why I think Terry isn't actually happening. None of theses "leaks" seem sound and are incredibly suspicious. These two also don't have that great of a track record.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
this and Vergeben waiting so long to say it is terry (likely because he was waiting to see what the general fan consensus was and just piggyback off of that) is why I think Terry isn't actually happening. None of theses "leaks" seem sound and are incredibly suspicious. These two also don't have that great of a track record.
Vergeben have a great track with Smash, you know.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Would Nintendo do a direct on a Sunday though?

Because I don't think they've ever done a weekend direct.
In a way close to that point

They show of banjo on the 12th/13th and after talking about banjo and 5.0 then they show off terry/the SNK character

Edit ofcoarse not that it matters you forgot about the mini smash direct that reveal Roy/ryu for smash 4 was on a Sunday and release date was the same day

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here

Banjo kazooie is release date is rumored September 15th

That’s when the direct will happen
Well, remember, Hero had a similar situation to this. The ad went up July 27 and went down August 4. Hero was released July 30. So I don’t think we’ll have to wait till the 15th. Rather, if the same situation happens again, we’ll see Banjo a bit sooner than that. I’m thinking more along the lines of the 10th through 12th.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Grading the first four pass characters? Are you Okay.

Joker: A+
Easily the best character on the pass for me so far. Stylish, tons of personality, amazingly fun moveset, great music, and a really cool stage. Plus I mean, he's voiced by Xander Mobus. Xander's awesome. Joker was a terrific surprise and a welcome addition, and I sincerely hope he continues to stay in the Smash series.

Hero: C
This one hurts. I love the choice, hate the implementation. I've been playing the Dragon Quest 11 demo and have been loving it. Historically it's a franchise integrally tied to Nintendo. The stage is gorgeous, the trailer was hype, and having four different Heroes was a neat surprise. He even came with a good amount of spirits! But my god his moveset doesn't click with me at all because of his slow and often ineffective normals, as well as the menu, and the Sugiyama bull **** with the MIDIs is immensely disappointing.

Banjo-Kazooie: B-
Guh-huh. Bree. Banjo-Kazooie wasn't my first pick for a Microsoft character, and honestly not even my second, but seeing them here is definitely appealing, like seeing a long lost family member. The moveset, from what we've seen, is nothing special, but the music has me very excited. They better add Click Clock Wood, dammit. All in all, solid.

Terry: B
It's hard to judge when he literally hasn't been officially announced yet, but this is where I'd rank him solely from a choice perspective.

All in all pretty nice. I'd give it a B or so. Still hoping for Edelgard for Challenger Pack 5.

Here, let me show you, Fighter’s Pass Monkey’s Paw version:

-Frisk (Undertale)
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Fortnite Guy (Fortnite)
- Dovakin (Skyrim).
I would unironically prefer this to the current line-up, lol.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Stubled across this Character popularity poll from 2018 in my FB group-cool to see the Gesse is Leese there

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
he's gotten half the things he said about smash wrong. What are you talking about?
Half wrong? What do you mean? He has been mostly right. So far, as shared on Smash Wiki, he got 5 correct, with his only incorrect claims was the order of Hero being first, and Minecraft.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok guys, we should know for sure tommorow who is right and who is wrong.

I honestly may laugh my butt off if it isnt terry. Just because of how everyone has been acting haha.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant: C+, the moveset is nice but this is going to be one of the most forgettable characters down the line due to a strong lack of importance
Joker: -F (without taking into account how Arle discussion has been stifled drastically, still somewhere like D+, I much prefer the content and characters he comes with to him as I find his moveset pretty boring compared to Hero or Banjo)
Hero: A (I find his moveset much more engaging and interesting to utilize than Joker's, and he's way more fun. Also he didn't stifle discussion of Geno)
Banjo: A+ (Hero, but way less likely to have a bs mechanic that ruins people's perceptions of him)
Terry: Hold your horses, I want to see how he fights in Smash. But based on what he could be like, B+. I don't give a flying one about SNK games if I must be honest so Terry getting in had no opportunity cost, but he more or less won me over to the idea of SNK joining the fight.
Hayabusa is outright counting chickens before they hatch.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Remember when I said I have night classes?

Guess what time my night classes start?

Guess who is gonna be freaking out over not knowing what is being announced?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So how would this board explode of Sabi and Vergeben got played by nintendo and it wasnt Terry at all?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The moment of truth is soon to he upon us.

I don't want to fall for another fake Leak but man it just feels like it's lining up perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom