• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, lets chill with the continuation thing. Doom Eternal features both Heaven and Hell, let Doom Slayer rip and tear his way through the forces of Galeem and Dharkon's armies instead.
oh i would pay money to see that happening

How likely is a character reveal at EVO? Do you think they'll showcase another character or will they talk about Hero/Banjo in more detail?
if it's a fighting game character then maybe, if not then no

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When do you guys think we'll get our next reveal? I'm predicting somewhere during maybe August-September. Still a long way to go.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
When do you guys think we'll get our next reveal? I'm predicting somewhere during maybe August-September. Still a long way to go.
I don't expect any new character reveal until around Banjo's release. Whether it be a few days before via "New content Approaching" or a couple months later via a General direct.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could see the beginning of the usual fall Direct outlining Banjo and the accompanying content, and then ending with the next reveal.

Anything before that seems rather unlikely.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't expect any new character reveal until around Banjo's release. Whether it be a few days before via "New content Approaching" or a couple months later via a General direct.
Pretty much the same stance as I.

Can't see another character reveal until October or November.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
20 bucks says Hero gets shadow dropped during EVO. Mr. Wiz loves having big reveals for Sunday games, and Smash is on Sunday this year

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash, Geno, Goku, Master Chief and Waluigi (If Assists can be upgraded) are really the only ones I feel can match if not arguably top:ultbanjokazooie:reveal.

Last edited:

Bestovius

Flip Wizard
NNID
CaveStory11
3DS FC
3626-2521-5293
Switch FC
SW 0521 1643 5140
I don't mean to jump on in, but just want to input that I think Crash Bandicoot would be perfect for Smash. A major, old-school Sony IP, with moves and references ripe for the Smash developers' taking and warping into a moveset.

Any thoughts?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't mean to jump on in, but just want to input that I think Crash Bandicoot would be perfect for Smash. A major, old-school Sony IP, with moves and references ripe for the Smash developers' taking and warping into a moveset.

Any thoughts?
I'm all up for Crash. I feel he earns his place given his legacy in the 90's rivaling:ultmario:and:ultsonic:.

Plus Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Sega is too much to pass up so for it to not happen would be missed potential.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I considered adding him and while he'd be very hype inducing I don't think he'd honestly match any of them. Then again I'm not too aware of his history besides being the first FPS.
Not the first FPS. That would be Wolfenstein 3D. Doom is, however, the most influential and important shooter. Without it, we wouldn't have "Doom Clones". Which would later be referred to as "First Person Shooters". It's as important to FPS's as Mario is to platformers, as Zelda is to Action/Adventure, as Dragon Quest is to JRPG's, as Metal Gear is to Stealth, as Street Fighter is to Fighting games, or Resident Evil is to Survival Horror.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Crash, Geno, Goku, Master Chief and Waluigi (If Assists can be upgraded) are really the only ones I feel can match if not arguably top:ultbanjokazooie:reveal.
I'm not sure if Crash and Master Chief can match Banjo's reveal because, while their main thing (the Sony mascot and the Microsoft mascot) is still a very big deal, its impact I think is very diminished by the fact that they don't feel impossible. Banjo made it so that people don't see being Western as a barrier so that's Crash's only obstacle gone, and Microsoft is already in the game so Master Chief feels more of a when than an if (he'll probably be a Mii Costume which will only hammer that home even more). Not that either wouldn't be well received, but I think a lot of their impact would have stemmed from the surprise.
I think you're forgetting someone.

I don't think he's that demanded or that surprising to reach Banjo levels of hype.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not the first FPS. That would be Wolfenstein 3D. Doom is, however, the most influential and important shooter. Without it, we wouldn't have "Doom Clones". Which would later be referred to as "First Person Shooters". It's as important to FPS's as Mario is to platformers, as Zelda is to Action/Adventure, as Dragon Quest is to JRPG's, as Metal Gear is to Stealth, as Street Fighter is to Fighting games, or Resident Evil is to Survival Horror.
In that case then I guess I would consider adding him up there with those others. Guess in that case too I should also add RE rep up there with them as well.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm all up for Crash. I feel he earns his place given his legacy in the 90's rivaling:ultmario:and:ultsonic:.

Plus Sony vs. Nintendo vs. Sega is too much to pass up so for it to not happen would be missed potential.
I actually think this might be why it doesn't happen? Like obviously Crash's rights went to Activision long ago, but Crash being in Smash could be interpreted as a swipe against Sony. I'm just imagining the headlines now. And that kind of company one upmanship hasn't been Nintendo's deal for a long time. Obviously Nintendo vs. Sega was the peak of it, but Sony and Nintendo's history involves Nintendo basically birthing the Playstation.

With the Wii, WiiU and now Switch, Nintendo has become an additional console to a lot of people. But adding Crash puts them in direct comparison with Sony for the first time in a long while, and I'm not sure Nintendo want that.

And I could be completely off base, but I feel like Nintendo have put anything that smells vaguely of "console wars" behind them.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I actually think this might be why it doesn't happen? Like obviously Crash's rights went to Activision long ago, but Crash being in Smash could be interpreted as a swipe against Sony. I'm just imagining the headlines now. And that kind of company one upmanship hasn't been Nintendo's deal for a long time. Obviously Nintendo vs. Sega was the peak of it, but Sony and Nintendo's history involves Nintendo basically birthing the Playstation.

With the Wii, WiiU and now Switch, Nintendo has become an additional console to a lot of people. But adding Crash puts them in direct comparison with Sony for the first time in a long while, and I'm not sure Nintendo want that.

And I could be completely off base, but I feel like Nintendo have put anything that smells vaguely of "console wars" behind them.
We can already play Crash games on Nintendo consoles ever since the gamecube, I really doubt Sony would be too outraged if Crash gets in smash, nor will they view Nintendo as direct competitors due to Crash being in Smash bros. I just don’t think Sony thinks about their old mascot characters in the same way that Nintendo does, If they did they would still try to keep a grip on them.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
We can already play Crash games on Nintendo consoles ever since the gamecube, I really doubt Sony would be too outraged if Crash gets in smash, nor will they view Nintendo as direct competitors due to Crash being in Smash bros. I just don’t think Sony thinks about their old mascot characters in the same way that Nintendo does, If they did they would still try to keep a grip on them.
Oh I don't think it's Sony specifically that'll interpret it that way. Like I'm also sure if Crash got in, some artist at Naughty Dog would put out some adorable artwork or something.

I just mean Crash comes with a level of baggage that we don't get from Microsoft because Sony hasn't been so chummy chummy with Nintendo. Nintendo has managed to get away from a lot of the console flame war stuff for so long, and I don't like imagining salty fans thinking of it as "well Nintendo were willing to put up the cash for Crash".

But on the other hand I'm probably reading stuff wrong and most people will just be ecstatic.

Also genuine question, is there any nostalgia for the PS2/Gamecube/xbox era Crash titles? Crash has been on Nintendo consoles for most of his existence, but would there be the hype that existed for N. Sane if they remastered the Traveller's Tales games? Even if Twinsanity has never been on a Nintendo console.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm not sure why people are expecting characters to outhype Banjo to begin with?

It's not like Ken or Inciniroar outhyped K.Rool, neither Bayonetta or Corrin outhyped Cloud, or Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr made a bigger splash than Megaman in the community, or R.O.B. was a choice that blew people away compared to Sonic, Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Dedede or Diddy Kong or Mr. Game and Watch was a more wanted character than Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Mewtwo or Ganondorf.

Traditionally Smash has always either started with a BIG surprise or had one somewhere in the middle. I mean hype is all subjective but if we're talking community hype, I think people are getting lost in the Banjo shock.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be overjoyed to get Crash or god forbid; Waluigi as the last fighters but I'm expecting disappointment reactions from the community as we get something underwhelming/barely asked for by the fans for at least the final fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm not sure why people are expecting characters to outhype Banjo to begin with?

It's not like Ken or Inciniroar outhyped K.Rool, neither Bayonetta or Corrin outhyped Cloud, or Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr made a bigger splash than Megaman in the community, or R.O.B. was a choice that blew people away compared to Sonic, Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Dedede or Diddy Kong or Mr. Game and Watch was a more wanted character than Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Mewtwo or Ganondorf.

Traditionally Smash has always either started with a BIG surprise or had one somewhere in the middle. I mean hype is all subjective but if we're talking community hype, I think people are getting lost in the Banjo shock.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be overjoyed to get Crash or god forbid; Waluigi as the last fighters but I'm expecting disappointment reactions from the community as we get something underwhelming/barely asked for by the fans for at least the final fighter.
You could say that given this will be the last game in a while and Ultimate as it has in its title. People would expect Sakurai to end DLC big. At least that's how I see things whereas Base was different.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

But who would that be that caused that much disappointment? Like the only way that Ken & Incineroar could have been more disappointing is if they'd saved Chrom for that trailer.

If we assume the last two are third party, short of it literally being a character none of us thought of (unlikely), I don't think anyone would be overly disappointing. I think any combination of the stuff we've been circling around the last few days would please at least a large part of the community, even if we don't get the most possible hype combination.

ze9

Smash Ace
If the characters are really all 3d party, I think they'll naturally all be big deals.
Of course nobody can be more hype than Banjo, at least for a good portion of the fanbase, but they'll probably be on par with the other two.

Ornl

Smash Ace
I'm looking for new ideas to build Lara Croft's apologia, and break down all the supposed obstacles to her integration. And I invite who want to debate or support in her thread.

What other female character would be more impressive than Bayonetta, better welcomed than Shantae (flunked ballot), more fun than Monster Hunter (flunked adventurer) and more legitimate than Jill?
Lara Croft is the last iconic character that is not in Smash, and the most logical choice for a third Squenix character (more famous with Space Invaders) and for a second Western character (more famous with Tetris). There would be no greater surprise than a 2nd consecutive Squenix rep. Reserving Square Enix would be absolutly unexpected, while offering a unique and different character. Tomb Raider contributed to the initiation of the genre adventure in 3D and the license has continued with successful episodes. Tomb Raider (2013) is rated 37/40 by Famitsu, Rise of the Tomb Raider 36/40 (top 3 on Xbox One by readers), Shadow of the Tomb Raider 36/40. Apart from recent games, her oriental appeal might seem limited, but its Western impact is so great that it can not be ignored. Lara Croft is the biggest female icon in the video game and the only one to claim this title, in front of the figure of Nintendo, Samus Aran. With such popularity, no need for a perfect connection to Nintendo. The link is established (including three exclusive episodes on Game Boy and Game Boy Advance), but it's obviously to perfect. What better, then, than a place in DLC? Bamco has already managed to get exploitation rights for an arcade game, so that shouldn't be an obstacle for Smash Bros. Moreover, the Amiibo would have a great sales success. It would be quite conceivable to create gameplay appropriate for Lara Croft: double pistols (emblematic but dispensable), knife, bow, grappling hook, rope trap, climbing ax, gazoline blaze, agility and sporty lightness...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Dunno why, but if Geno doesnt return as a Mii costume at all, Im going to half bank on the idea that Sakurai is 'Pirahna-Planting' him. Granted, several sega costumes didnt return with Joker (Akira, etc), but Geno was THE standout Mii costume, with a Titlecard and everything

With how much Geno gets referenced by Sakurai as a missed opportunity (several in the last 2 smash games), I have a feeling he's going to release the character post-fighters pass without a stage but with a few reworked songs like Forest Maze.

The crazy thing with Geno is, he's nearly has much requested as Banjo (along with characters like Isaac) in the ancient fanbase lol. Yes, Banjo got in likely due to being a major character in a once famous Nintendo franchise along with fan requests, but Geno has also been made famous by the smash creator himself, and that to me is one of the most important aspects of him getting in.

Do i think he's one of the remaining fighters pass characters? No. Do i think he's coming to Ultimate somehow? Yes. Just a feeling this time. Its the only time where he probably could, considering this game has smashed expectations on the character front.

If not, i expect to see him and Isaac and slew of other fan created characters via mods years down the line. The game has everyone, and to add to that is the motivation for a lot of people

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that the Final 2 DLC characters are guaranteed be characters that are overhyped by the fanbase.

SKX31

Smash Master
If the characters are really all 3d party, I think they'll naturally all be big deals.
Of course nobody can be more hype than Banjo, at least for a good portion of the fanbase, but they'll probably be on par with the other two.
I think it depends on who gets included. If Doomguy gets in at least a big portion of the FPS community will cheer - perhaps just as loudly.

Also it depends on where. Such as Japan's reaction to the Hero being really positive overall. A KoF rep would be incredibly hype-generating in China and South America.

It's just that the video game industry is really fractured, so hype in place A won't be heard nearly as much in place B.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's funny because for me Bayonetta was as hype as Cloud because she was one of my Smash 4 wishlist characters. I got Little Mac in base and then Bayo.

Perhaps another one of my favorite more niche characters would make a perfect next reveal....so let's go Phoenix Wright/Travis Touchdown/Elma/etc etc

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dunno why, but if Geno doesnt return as a Mii costume at all, Im going to half bank on the idea that Sakurai is 'Pirahna-Planting' him. Granted, several sega costumes didnt return with Joker (Akira, etc), but Geno was THE standout Mii costume, with a Titlecard and everything

With how much Geno gets referenced by Sakurai as a missed opportunity (several in the last 2 smash games), I have a feeling he's going to release the character post-fighters pass without a stage but with a few reworked songs like Forest Maze.
It's really more up to Nintendo than Sakurai that whether we'll get extra characters or not.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Didn't stop them from putting in Cloud of the infamously non-Nintendo FF7, Joker of the still Sony-exclusive Persona 5 and coupling that with the return of Snake and addition of Castlevania content.

You could say that Nintendo one-upping their competitor at their own Sony Smash game is entirely happenstance through other reasons (Kojima wanted Snake in Smash, Cloud just happened to be the most iconic Final Fantasy choice, they both had to come back for "Everyone is Here" and Sakurai had a soft spot for Persona 5 as seen with Ultimate's aesthetics).

It would be hilarious to see the fallout of Crash being in Nintendo's crossover and never in a Sony one, but again, it already got the character of the infamously-not-Nintendo Final Fantasy 7 and a couple others Sony didn't get.

I think that will most probably be the outcome as YoshiandToad YoshiandToad put it.
I wouldn't be too surprised if the last two characters where underdog/dark horse picks like Bayonetta again.
(sorry if this image is too large)

I mean, people would be disappointed that they went with a Nintendo franchise pick for a spot in Nintendo's game's Fighter Pass, even if it was the one major active franchise left to put in Smash... but I'd be happy.
EDIT:
It's really more up to Nintendo than Sakurai that whether we'll get extra characters or not.
Maybe in exchange for even more work, Sakurai'd request a bit more personal input in the choices of the other DLC (tho he might have already with Joker's inclusion...) I wonder who we'd get if that were the case. Geno? Another Piranha Plant thing?

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Any character you like and/or want will be the hypest thing ever, and any character you don't know or like would be a disapointment. I was hyped for Ken and Incineroar but couldn't give any less s**t about joker.

Speaking of which, please enjoy my Music Genre Theory™ .
Persona: happy hour music
Dragon Quest: national anthems
Banjo-Kazooie: nursery rhymes

How do you follow it?
That's right! With DEATH METAL.
What about EPIC POWER METAL?
Yes, another magic shooting anime swordsman. Awesome, isn't? That would only be topped by my avatar :)

Jokes aside, I'm interested in this Death Metal ost thing. Any good example?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not especially enthusiastic about Crash. I like it when Smash characters come from games that are, ya know...good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom