• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm busy now, but I think I'll definitely open an Hornet (Hollow Knight) support thread soon if nobody else does.
In case someone else does, put me in the support list as soon as you create the thread.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring; the fact that we're not getting Palutena's Guidance for the DLC characters sans Piranha Plant is a big win for characters who are already in the game as spirits. Think about it; Plant had no spirit in-game, but a PG all to itself when it was revealed. This suggests that they planned on making the plant prior to deciding who's in the fighters pass, possibly as far back as when the Spirits menu was teased. This is further supported by the differences between the development stages we saw of Plant and Joker; the former looked to be pretty much done, being released not even two months after the game launched, while at the same time, all we have of Joker is an animated trailer without any gameplay, followed by an entrance/landing animation & idle stance, animations that we waited over those two months for. There's no telling who was on Nintendo's list when they gave it to everybody at SORA for deliberation, but it's highly probable that characters that are already Spirits were on that list (that's how I see this situation, anyway).

TLDR; Plant getting a guidance instead of everyone else makes me think that Spirits have a shot as DLC, since unlike Plant, they were likely decided after the base game wrapped up development and went gold.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So out of curiousity(?), what spirit characters could you see making their way into this Fighters Pass here? I'd personally want the Chorus Kids of Rhythm Heaven, but I dunno if they'd make Nintendo's shortlist of suggestions.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So out of curiousity(?), what spirit characters could you see making their way into this Fighters Pass here? I'd personally want the Chorus Kids of Rhythm Heaven, but I dunno if they'd make Nintendo's shortlist of suggestions.
Considering Rhythm Heaven Megamix's stealth release as an e-shop title I wouldn't be surprised if the series was unofficially retired. In which case I doubt we'll see any Rhythm Heaven character in Smash ever. This may just be pessimism on my part, but ignoring that, I really don't think Rhythm Heaven has the star power to become DLC, at least not for wave 1.

As for the Chorus Kids specifically, I do think they should be in a Rhythm Heaven character's moveset, I don't think they should be the "main" character.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I think that out of every spirit in the game, the one I most want is Shantae. She’s also got a lot going for her as well; the oldest indie franchise that we know of, history with Capcom, Ken Sugimori is a fan, Risky Boots appearing as a spirit alongside Shantae herself, I can do this all day.

marx_

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0213 4209 2918
The following is (more than likely) true about the next 4 DLC fighters:
They are from third party games
The games they are from have no previous reps in smash
Having a spirit does not necessarily de-confirm a fighter, as Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies before they were released as fighters

Taking these into consideration, I have compiled a list of possible DLCs that fit this bill:

Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
Steve (Minecraft)
Alex (Minecraft)
Master Chief (Halo)
The Dragonborn (Skyrim)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
Sans (Undertale)
Undyne (Undertale)
Mettaton (Undertale)
Papyrus (Undertale)
Shantae (Shantae)
Stardew Valley rep of sorts
Kris (Deltarune)
Ralsei (Deltarune)
Susie (Deltarune)
Lancer (Deltarune)
Solaire (Dark Souls)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Rayman (Rayman)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)

I am not saying that any of these are very likely, I am simply saying that they fit the bill. If there are any errors in my list or you would like to add something, please feel free to contribute.

-marx_

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think of all of the spirits most likeky to get in the game, Shantae, Bandanna Dee, or Geno make the most sense.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Considering Rhythm Heaven Megamix's stealth release as an e-shop title I wouldn't be surprised if the series was unofficially retired. In which case I doubt we'll see any Rhythm Heaven character in Smash ever. This may just be pessimism on my part, but ignoring that, I really don't think Rhythm Heaven has the star power to become DLC, at least not for wave 1.

As for the Chorus Kids specifically, I do think they should be in a Rhythm Heaven character's moveset, I don't think they should be the "main" character.
Man, it sucks to think that one Smash game ago they were potentially going to be a character, and by the next their newest game didn't even get a physical release in the US :( If NoJ was choosing the DLC that's at least a slight bit more in their favour.

So what do you think the main character should hypothetically be? There was only the Gematsu thing suggesting the Chorus Kids were gonna be a RH character in there, but beyond that there seems to be a slight(?) preference to them/Marshall as noted in this dated pic:

That and they were the image chosen for the "spirit-only" franchises/things that got profile pics for the Smash tags at the bottom alongside Lip, Shantae, that Devil Dr guy and Diskun. So they might be amongst the closest to iconic/recognisable out of the franchise? At least compared to like Tibby and the dog, though such might work better for a "blank slate" character referencing the minigames of the franchise in its moves? Makes me wonder who they were definitely going with for Smash 4 and if CK being a powerful spirit (alongside Karate Joe) is totally them making that old choice a spirit and leaving that franchise at that for Ultimate...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, it sucks to think that one Smash game ago they were potentially going to be a character, and by the next their newest game didn't even get a physical release in the US :( If NoJ was choosing the DLC that's at least a slight bit more in their favour.

So what do you think the main character should hypothetically be? There was only the Gematsu thing suggesting the Chorus Kids were gonna be a RH character in there, but beyond that there seems to be a slight(?) preference to them/Marshall as noted in this dated pic:

That and they were the image chosen for the "spirit-only" franchises/things that got profile pics for the Smash tags at the bottom alongside Lip, Shantae, that Devil Dr guy and Diskun. So they might be amongst the closest to iconic/recognisable out of the franchise? At least compared to like Tibby and the dog, though such might work better for a "blank slate" character referencing the minigames of the franchise in its moves? Makes me wonder who they were definitely going with for Smash 4 and if CK being a powerful spirit (alongside Karate Joe) is totally them making that old choice a spirit and leaving that franchise at that for Ultimate...
Yeesh, probably should've sprung for a simpler background.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since Karate Man has appeared in every single game I think Karate Joe should be the main fighter. His attacks should reference various minigames such as Space Dance, Night Walk, etc. For grabs and smash attacks, other Rhythm Heaven characters should make cameo appearances. For example, the Chorus Kids could appear during Karate Joe's down smash, and attack by screaming their fool heads off just like in the original. They could even give the "together now!" prompt, and make the attack strongest at the end of it (instead of when a smash attack would normally be strongest).

EDIT: On the off chance that a Rhythm Heaven character is DLC, I expect that the stage will be flat, Final Destination type stage that shows the minigames going on in the background depending on what song was playing. The minigames would affect the stage layout. For example, players would be able to stand on the biplanes in Air Rally, and both Struck by the Rain and Lonely Storm will have a constant wind blowing across the stage.

EDIT EDIT: Also, whatever Rhythm Heaven character they pick should have thier idle animation speed up or slow down depending on the tempo of the song that is currently playing.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
A filename for a Rhythm Heaven icon was later found in SSB4's game data. But what would justify a RH fighter in DLC?
_______

Assuming Errick is one of the new fighters :
- 100% of all fighters, third party licenses and DLC included, are from licenses whose origins are Japanese, with their first opus adapted on Nintendo.
- 9/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses born before the mid-1990s.
Only Bayonetta, ballot choice, is an exception.
- 9/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses with at least 20 different opuses, including spin-off and crossover, portages excluded.
- 7/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses appearing in the Japanese preferences on consoles.
Pac-Man and Simon Belmont are exception, but are available from the basic games. Bayonetta, ballot choice, is an exception..

Regarding these 4 criteria :
- only Ryu Hayabusa and Arle Nadja are third party fighters to have all.
- only Bomberman, Bub&Bob (Bubble Bobble), Frogger, Goemon, Mametchi, Leon S. Kennedy are third party fighters to have 3.

Regarding other criteria :
- like 93.7% of all fighters, Bubble Bobble, Frogger, Puyo Puyo, Mystical Ninja and Tamagoshi also have no age limit,
- as ≈ 2/3 of all fighters since Smash 1, Arle Nadja, Bomberman, Bub&Bob, Frogger and Mametchi aren't male human heroes.
- according to the Reggie words : "That never saw it coming / not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros / new to the series", Mametchi has never been claimed. There is no forecast for Mamtechi in Rate Their Chances thread, and no Smash Boards thread is dedicated to him.
- Sega (Arle Nadja) is already represented by Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Bayonetta, Rodin, Joker, Akira Yuki, Jacky Bryant (9).
- Capcom is already represented by Mega Man, Elec Man, Zero, Dr. Wily, Yellow Devil, Ryu, Ken, Guile, Hunter, Rathalos (10).
- Konami (Frogger and Goemon) is already represented by Solid Snake, Gray Fox, Simon, Richter, Alucard, Dracula, Bomberman (7).
- Bubble Bobble belongs to Square-Enix.
- Apart from Bandai-Namco, Bandai (Mametchi) has no representation yet.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
If the rumours of two of the DLC characters being old fan favourites is true, this would pretty much be my ideal DLC roster:

Fan favourites:

Geno
Geno is by far the most enduring character in all of Smash speculation who remains unplayable. Dethroning Ridley and K. Rool, Geno sits as the quintessential boomer pick in a sea of characters that I hardly recognize or have no desire to play as.

Banjo-Kazooie
In a just timeline, Banjo would have been a series mainstay since Melee. We were robbed by corporate nonsense and we're at a point now where such horrendous acts of injustice can finally be somewhat rectified.

Shill picks:

Joker
Joker is already in the game. I don't care about him but he doesn't offend me as much as other potential options.

Edelgard
Edelgard is cute as hell and has an axe.

Yeah, there are a lot of Fire Emblem characters but she's pretty much the best shill pick we could possibly get for the series. Let's examine the pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Cute girl
  • Axe
Cons:
  • Anime
  • Fire Emblem
Putting her at a stable 0, achieving a balanced homeostasis other Fire Emblem characters could only dream of.

Sylux
He's a cool robot looking dude and there's nothing wrong with more Metroid characters. Nintendo seems to want to finally do right by Metroid, to the extent that they're starting over MP4's development to make sure it's above our expectations. If Nintendo has to shill for something, I'd much prefer him to another Animal Crossing or Splatoon character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the rumours of two of the DLC characters being old fan favourites is true, this would pretty much be my ideal DLC roster:

Fan favourites:

Geno
Geno is by far the most enduring character in all of Smash speculation who remains unplayable. Dethroning Ridley and K. Rool, Geno sits as the quintessential boomer pick in a sea of characters that I hardly recognize or have no desire to play as.

Banjo-Kazooie
In a just timeline, Banjo would have been a series mainstay since Melee. We were robbed by corporate nonsense and we're at a point now where such horrendous acts of injustice can finally be somewhat rectified.

Shill picks:

Joker
Joker is already in the game. I don't care about him but he doesn't offend me as much as other potential options.

Edelgard

Yeah, there are a lot of Fire Emblem characters but she's pretty much the best shill pick we could possibly get for the series. Let's examine the pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Cute girl
  • Axe
Cons:
  • Anime
  • Fire Emblem
Putting her at a stable 0, achieving a balanced homeostasis other Fire Emblem characters could only dream of.

Sylux
He's a cool robot looking dude and there's nothing wrong with more Metroid characters. Nintendo seems to want to finally do right by Metroid, to the extent that they're starting over MP4's development to make sure it's above our expectations. If Nintendo has to shill for something, I'd much prefer him to another Animal Crossing or Splatoon character.
If this were to be the DLC chosen. I'd be pretty satisfied. Its got both Banjo and Sylux.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring; the fact that we're not getting Palutena's Guidance for the DLC characters sans Piranha Plant is a big win for characters who are already in the game as spirits. Think about it; Plant had no spirit in-game, but a PG all to itself when it was revealed. This suggests that they planned on making the plant prior to deciding who's in the fighters pass, possibly as far back as when the Spirits menu was teased. This is further supported by the differences between the development stages we saw of Plant and Joker; the former looked to be pretty much done, being released not even two months after the game launched, while at the same time, all we have of Joker is an animated trailer without any gameplay, followed by an entrance/landing animation & idle stance, animations that we waited over those two months for. There's no telling who was on Nintendo's list when they gave it to everybody at SORA for deliberation, but it's highly probable that characters that are already Spirits were on that list (that's how I see this situation, anyway).

TLDR; Plant getting a guidance instead of everyone else makes me think that Spirits have a shot as DLC, since unlike Plant, they were likely decided after the base game wrapped up development and went gold.
I gotta be honest, I still think Spirits are a deconfirmation but this is by far the best logic I've seen for Spirits not being deconfirmed and has given me slight hope lol

Fan favourites:

Geno

Banjo-Kazooie

Shill picks:

Joker

Edelgard

Pros:
  • Cute girl
  • Axe
Cons:
  • Anime
  • Fire Emblem

Sylux
I've been thinking this exact roster (well mostly, not Geno lol a different 3rd party) but I'm curious about the rumors you mention because my feeling was mostly wishful thinking lol.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
A filename for a Rhythm Heaven icon was later found in SSB4's game data. But what would justify a RH fighter in DLC?
_______

Assuming Errick is one of the new fighters :
- 100% of all fighters, third party licenses and DLC included, are from licenses whose origins are Japanese, with their first opus adapted on Nintendo.
- 9/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses born before the mid-1990s.
- 9/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses with at least 20 different opuses, including spin-off and crossover, portages excluded.
- 7/10 third party fighters and 6/7 new DLC fighters are from licenses appearing in the Japanese preferences on consoles.
Pac-Man and Simon Belmont are exception, but are available from the basic games. Bayonetta, ballot choice, is an exception..

Regarding these 4 criteria :
- only Ryu Hayabusa and Arle Nadja are third party fighters to have all.
- only Bomberman, Bub&Bob (Bubble Bobble), Frogger, Mametchi, Leon S. Kennedy are third party fighters to have 3.

Regarding other criteria :
- like 93.7% of all fighters, Bubble Bobble, Puyo Puyo and Tamagoshi also have no age limit,
- as ≈ 2/3 of all fighters since Smash 1, Arle Nadja, Bomberman, Bub&Bob, Frogger and Mametchi aren't male human heroes.
- according to the Reggie words : "That never saw it coming / not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros / new to the series", Mametchi has never been claimed. There is no forecast for Mamtechi in Rate Their Chances thread, and no Smash Boards thread is dedicated to him.
- Sega is already represented by Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Bayonetta, Rodin, Joker, Akira Yuki, Jacky Bryant (9).
- Capcom is already represented by Mega Man, Elec Man, Zero, Dr. Wily, Yellow Devil, Ryu, Ken, Guile, Hunter, Rathalos (10).
- Bubble Bobble belongs to Square-Enix.
- Apart from Bandai-Namco, Bandai has no representation yet.

I would probably agree with these conclusions, except that all but Joker (and presumably Bayonetta) were chosen by Sakurai and his team. Sakurai has gone on record that “Nintendo” has chosen the newcomers this round. We don’t know who specifically this refers to, but it’s clearly not the same person who chose the roster up to this point.

That being said, I still think Ryu Hayabusa is likely regardless, as he is a recognizable retro character (ninja Gaiden), one still active in a modern series (Dead or Alive) and owned by a company that seems to have a favorable relationship with the big N (fire emblem warriors, hyrule warriors, Pokémon Conquest).

Ornl

Smash Ace
Joker (and presumably Bayonetta) were chosen by Sakurai and his team.
I think that Sakurai or Nintendo's choice was greatly influenced by a popular effect: Persona 5 is by far the top favorite game of the Japanese, Dragon Quest III being in 2sd position.

That being said, I still think Ryu Hayabusa is likely regardless, as he is a recognizable retro character (ninja Gaiden), one still active in a modern series (Dead or Alive) and owned by a company that seems to have a favorable relationship with the big N (fire emblem warriors, hyrule warriors, Pokémon Conquest).
Oda Nobunaga (Pokémon Conquest, Samurai Warriors, and Nobunaga's Ambition at Koei) also has his first opus on Nintendo, was born in 1983, and comes from licenses cumulating at least 20 opus... But he's a historical personality having existed and nobody would want in DLC ^^.

I watched Arle Nadja again, but I do not believe in her chances anymore because she is also an RPG character in Madou Monogatar, like Joker and Brave.

Ryu Hayabusa and Mametchi would be, in my opinion, very fair choices. But it is also very likely that there are characters from recent licenses.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see "reps" as a thing, especially not genre reps, so I don't think a character being from an RPG matters much.

It's really only based on how Sakurai and Nintendo see the character, if they're good/would sell/are popular with fans.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't see "reps" as a thing, especially not genre reps, so I don't think a character being from an RPG matters much.

It's really only based on how Sakurai and Nintendo see the character, if they're good/would sell/are popular with fans.
And guess what kiddos?

*megalovania*

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And guess what kiddos?

*megalovania*
Well...It's not impossible. Undertale became popular to the point of hatred in the U.S. and Japan wanted it enough to warrant a localization of the game (or at least I assume so). I'd still say the character is highly improbable on account of being an indie character. I also don't know how popular Undertale is among non-gamers.

Slightly unrelated, but I have yet to see a 3D model of Sans that doesn't seem a little off. (Though to be fair I've never seen an official one either.)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Ehhhhhhhh what would Undertale have that Steve doesn't and Shovel Knight didn't? It barely has a franchise run at the moment like Shovel Knight, but Minecraft sorta does, as well as much more of an actual impact within the industry, being way more than an potential flash in the pan success (or at least one that isn't Nintendo-owned).

Ornl

Smash Ace
- Unlike 100% of all fighters, Sans doesn't come from license whose origins are Japanese.
- Unlike 9/10 of third party fighters and 6/7 of new DLC fighters, Sans doesn't come from license born before the mid-1990s, with at least 20 different opuses.
- Unlike 100% of third party fighters and new DLC fighters, Sans is a villain and a boss.
- Unlike 3/3 of RPG third party fighters and new DLC fighters, Undertale doesn't appear in the top 20 RPG by Famitsu readers. Famitsu gave the score of 33/40 for Undertale.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
- Unlike 100% of all fighters, Sans doesn't come from license whose origins are Japanese.
- Unlike 9/10 of third party fighters and 6/7 of new DLC fighters, Sans doesn't come from license born before the mid-1990s, with at least 20 different opuses.
- Unlike 100% of third party fighters and new DLC fighters, Sans is a villain and a boss.
- Unlike 3/3 of RPG third party fighters and new DLC fighters, Undertale doesn't appear in the top 20 RPG by Famitsu readers. Famitsu gave the score of 33/40 for Undertale.
I don't see why arbitrary statistics matter.

Also, Sans isn't a villain, he's just one of the main Undertale characters. When he's a boss, he's actually a hero, while the player is the villain.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think that Undertale will get a character.
yeah it's unlikely but these statistics don't matter, Sakurai only has 3-4 rules for fighters, I don't know why we gotta resort to fan rules based on arbitrary stuff. They're not choosing characters based on genre or company (unless the latter is a special case and Sakurai wants a popular mascot a la Pac-Man and Namco).

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Also, there is a top of favorite characters by Nintendo DREAM readers (Japan).
  1. Kirby (Kirby) - 189
  2. Link (The Legend of Zelda) - 123
  3. Pikachu (Pokémon) - 117
  4. Mario (Super Mario)
  5. Luigi (Super Mario)
  6. Corrin (Fire Emblem)
  7. Eevee (Pokémon)
  8. Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
  9. Inkling (Splatoon)
  10. Yoshi (Super Mario)
  11. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
  12. Robin (Fire Emblem)
  13. Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
  14. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  15. Camilla (Fire Emblem)
  16. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  17. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  18. Ashley (WarioWare)
  19. Sans (UNDERTALE)
  20. Daisy (Super Mario)
I ask myself what is the average age of readers (without judgement) ?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
  1. Kirby (Kirby) - 189
  4. Mario (Super Mario)
  5. Luigi (Super Mario)
  6. Corrin (Fire Emblem)
  7. Eevee (Pokémon)
  9. Inkling (Splatoon)
  10. Yoshi (Super Mario)
  11. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
  12. Robin (Fire Emblem)
  14. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  16. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  17. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  18. Ashley (WarioWare)
  19. Sans (UNDERTALE)
  20. Daisy (Super Mario)
Also, everyone in the top 10 (except Eevee) is already playable in Smash. But, popularity isn't everything in Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. Kirby (Kirby) - 189
  4. Mario (Super Mario)
  5. Luigi (Super Mario)
  6. Corrin (Fire Emblem)
  7. Eevee (Pokémon)
  9. Inkling (Splatoon)
  10. Yoshi (Super Mario)
  11. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
  12. Robin (Fire Emblem)
  14. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  16. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  17. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  18. Ashley (WarioWare)
  19. Sans (UNDERTALE)
  20. Daisy (Super Mario)
Seeing so many FE characters in the top 20 is nice, even if it's a small poll.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  1. Kirby (Kirby) - 189
  4. Mario (Super Mario)
  5. Luigi (Super Mario)
  6. Corrin (Fire Emblem)
  7. Eevee (Pokémon)
  9. Inkling (Splatoon)
  10. Yoshi (Super Mario)
  11. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
  12. Robin (Fire Emblem)
  14. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  16. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  17. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  18. Ashley (WarioWare)
  19. Sans (UNDERTALE)
  20. Daisy (Super Mario)
This is a very small sample size there's no way Corrin would even make top twenty if you went as big as the Fire Emblem community.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Seeing so many FE characters in the top 20 is nice, even if it's a small poll.
Yes. But unlike Untertale, Fire Emblem has benefited from a US and European launch campaign. This promotional campaign was called Super Smash Bros Melee. Sans didn't need to be imposed as an icon and he imposed himself.
That's why my opinion is that it can be influenceable readers (without negative judgment), hence my question about the average age of readers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sans being an icon is enough reason they'd choose him, assuming Toby Fox agrees/Nintendo and Sakurai actually do choose Undertale for characters.

no one is explaining why small statistics matter in a million dollar game with popular characters that break the "irrelevant" argument.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes. But unlike Untertale, Fire Emblem has benefited from a US and European launch campaign. This promotional campaign was called Super Smash Bros Melee. Sans didn't need to be imposed as an icon and he imposed himself.
That's why my opinion is that it can be influenceable readers (without negative judgment), hence my question about the average age of readers.
This poll was conducted in Japan so I have no idea what Europe and US have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
  1. Kirby (Kirby) - 189
  4. Mario (Super Mario)
  5. Luigi (Super Mario)
  6. Corrin (Fire Emblem)
  7. Eevee (Pokémon)
  9. Inkling (Splatoon)
  10. Yoshi (Super Mario)
  11. Chrom (Fire Emblem)
  12. Robin (Fire Emblem)
  14. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  16. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  17. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  18. Ashley (WarioWare)
  19. Sans (UNDERTALE)
  20. Daisy (Super Mario)
Funnally enough, I found a similar pool from the same magazine, asking for "Character they have liked the longest."

20. Peach (Super Mario)
19. Samus (Metroid)
18. Frisk (UNDERTALE)
17. Ness (EarthBound)
16. Sans (UNDERTALE)
15. Daisy (Super Mario)
14. Ike (Fire Emblem)
13. Eevee (Pokémon)
12. Inkling (Splatoon)
11. Undyne (UNDERTALE)
10. Fox (Star Fox)
09. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
08. Luigi (Super Mario)
07. Magolor (Kirby)
06. Marth (Fire Emblem)
05. Meta Knight (Kirby)
04. Link (The Legend of Zelda)
03. Pikachu (Pokémon)
02. Mario (Super Mario)
01. Kirby (Kirby)

From what I can tell, the Undertale characters (2015) and Magolor (2011) sugjests that the age skews young.

Other interesting things to note:

Kirby takes 3 of the top ten spots. As if there wasn't enough evidence that they love Kirby way more than the rest of the world.
It seems that the really long-time Fire Emblem fans still prefer Marth and Ike over any of the newer cast.
Sonic is the only third party character that is both on this list and in Smash, showing that the rivalry and connection still hold strong.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Turns out, that 5Chan leak (which claims that the remaining 4 DLC characters are Erdrick, Steve, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy) is fake. The leaker got Erdrick's Japanese name wrong.

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/451954548
Seriously? How could that have gone unnoticed for so long? Anyway, I think Erdrick and Steve are still on the table, due to Vergeben/Hitagi's remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom