• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Though Bayo didn't "Win" she was soooooooo requested

Why do you hate P-plant so much!? And he's a BONUS character... they didn't have to make a bonus character at all! He has a unique design, move-set and LIKE SAID BEFORE, the devs obviously put a lot of time and work into this guy, who are you be-little another mans passion?
They could have put that work and time into a character fans wanted, any character, and they put it into a non-character. A thing. After they got everyone’s hopes up with the ballot.

It’s a slap in the face for everyone who supports Toad, or Waluigi, or Geno, because it means they didn’t exclude those characters due to Mario series saturation. It’s a slap in the face to anyone whose character got made into an Echo, because it’s saying that development resources are better spent making a plant playable. It’s a slap in the face to Bandanna Dee fans, because while their unique character gets **** on all the time they made a generic enemy playable. It’s a slap in the face to characters that Sakurai allegedly couldn’t make a moveset for due to being too simple (like Bomberman or Shovel Knight) because he went on to make one for a character that shouldn’t even move.

And it’s a slap in the face to anyone who has any gripe with the game (like the lack of newcomers, or stages, or single-player content, or trophies, or cutscenes, the list goes on) because the priorities of the game were so skewed they decided to implement development resources on what amounts to a joke.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
They could have put that work and time into a character fans wanted, any character, and they put it into a non-character. A thing. After they got everyone’s hopes up with the ballot.

It’s a slap in the face for everyone who supports Toad, or Waluigi, or Geno, because it means they didn’t exclude those characters due to Mario series saturation. It’s a slap in the face to anyone whose character got made into an Echo, because it’s saying that development resources are better spent making a plant playable. It’s a slap in the face to Bandanna Dee fans, because while their unique character gets **** on all the time they made a generic enemy playable. It’s a slap in the face to characters that Sakurai allegedly couldn’t make a moveset for due to being too simple (like Bomberman or Shovel Knight) because he went on to make one for a character that shouldn’t even move.

And it’s a slap in the face to anyone who has any gripe with the game (like the lack of newcomers, or stages, or single-player content, or trophies, or cutscenes, the list goes on) because the priorities of the game were so skewed they decided to implement development resources on what amounts to a joke.
That's not how smash works.

They decided to put time into character they were PASSIONATE about, they wanted to add him, so ****! Let them add him! He's not DLC, he's a bonus character that you get for free when you preorder the game.

It's not a slap to Toad 1, Geno 2 and Waluigi 3 because 1. He's a bonus character and Mario saturation a fan-made term and he wasn't that requested and could still be DLC., 2 like I said before in an earlier post, "If they couldn't get in FF music they probably can't get in Geno( a character square doesn't care about), Geno soooo different from any other Mario character because of the situation he's in and he could still be DLC, 3 Waluigi was dis-confirmed from the start because Sakurai didn't want to add him and he felt like this was the ONE thing he could away with.

Every echo except Daisy and maybe Dark pit, I fully believe SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ECHOS Almost all echos were only popular because they were meant to be ECHOS.

Bandanna Dee can still get in as DLC. P-plant was a character the devs worked on probably after hour as a passion project. Waddle dee is not not in the roster because a Plant is. That's not how it works, nor has it ever.

And people always find issues with things, we are human after all, but when somebody just really wants to add something to a game..... Let him. They work hard on it what not and thought it was a cool concept. So just let him.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's not how smash works.

They decided to put time into character they were PASSIONATE about, they wanted to add him, so F***! Let them add him! He's not DLC, he's a bonus character that you get for free when you preorder the game.

It's not a slap to Toad 1, Geno 2 and Waluigi 3 because 1. He's a bonus character and Mario saturation a fan-made term and he wasn't that requested and could still be DLC., 2 like I said before in an earlier post, "If they couldn't get in FF music they probably can't get in Geno( a character square doesn't care about), Geno soooo different from any other Mario character because of the situation he's in and he could still be DLC, 3 Waluigi was dis-confirmed from the start because Sakurai didn't want to add him and he felt like this was the ONE thing he could away with.

Every echo except Daisy and maybe Dark pit, I fully believe SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ECHOS Almost all echos were only popular because they were meant to be ECHOS.

Bandanna Dee can still get in as DLC. P-plant was a character the devs worked on probably after hour as a passion project. Waddle dee is not not in the roster because a Plant is. That's not how it works, nor has it ever.

And people always find issues with things, we are human after all, but when somebody just really wants to add something to a game..... Let him. They work hard on it what not and thought it was a cool concept. So just let him.
You don’t get to hide behind the excuse of ‘it’s a bonus character’. The bonus character could have been anyone, and they expended as many hours of development as any other character.

Toad wasn’t that requested? He was more requested than Piranha Plant, that’s for sure.

The problem with Final Fantasy music is that Nobuo Uematsu owns the music, and charges a lot for it. It has nothing to do with Square Enix. Plus, they already got the rights to Geno. He’s a token for players and probably a Spirit as well. Don’t talk out of your ass and do research please.

About Echoes, that’s definitely your opinion. Every character has fans, and you’ll find that every single one of their support threads contain unique movesets.

Ultimately, Smash is a product that has fans. Of course you can take certain freedoms when making a product, and you should never let your audience define every aspect of it. But just as a creator has liberty over their product, so does the audience have the power to decide whether or not they approve of those choices, and to criticize, and to complain. That is to be expected. Sometimes choices run people the wrong way because they weren’t satisfied enough with the rest of the product, and sometimes the creator can make wrong choices.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
You don’t get to hide behind the excuse of ‘it’s a bonus character’. The bonus character could have been anyone, and they expended as many hours of development as any other character.

Toad wasn’t that requested? He was more requested than Piranha Plant, that’s for sure.

The problem with Final Fantasy music is that Nobuo Uematsu owns the music, and charges a lot for it. It has nothing to do with Square Enix. Plus, they already got the rights to Geno. He’s a token for players and probably a Spirit as well. Don’t talk out of your *** and do research please.

About Echoes, that’s definitely your opinion. Every character has fans, and you’ll find that every single one of their support threads contain unique movesets.

Ultimately, Smash is a product that has fans. Of course you can take certain freedoms when making a product, and you should never let your audience define every aspect of it. But just as a creator has liberty over their product, so does the audience have the power to decide whether or not they approve of those choices, and to criticize, and to complain. That is to be expected. Sometimes choices run people the wrong way because they weren’t satisfied enough with the rest of the product, and sometimes the creator can make wrong choices.
But it is a Bonus Character, I get were your coming from, but it is a Bonus Character, they didn't have make anything at all, but they decided to spend their OVERTIME making a character with a unique moveset, that's how they spent their FREE TIME, Maybe they could have made Geno in that time, who knows, what matters is that that's how they spent their free time and that's what made them happy, I'm sure you wouldn't like it if somebody called you a dumb f because you spend some time on Smashboards instead of ending hunger!

My point was never to say that P-plant was more requested than toad, it was to say that toad, (as a character) was not that requested.

My point still stands that Geno couldn't make it in because of money and time constraints, it's not simple as saying, Uhhh hi can we put your _____ into smash bros? There are legal steps and process's that you have to got through that usually take a looonnnggg time, Geno whether it be budget of time, didn't make the cut, and a playable character is a lot different than a costume. And he is a Spirit, but that doesn't deconfirm fighters, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophys in 4 pre-dlc, I don't think being spirit hurts your chances.

While it might be my opinion, do you really think that chrom, lucina and so many others should have the time taken to be unique? Even if you think yes! Then it's my opinion as much as you think that P-plant is the devil himself.

And while yes smash is a product of its fans....... When some guy just wants to take time out of his free-day(which are very small and tight in Japan) and just make something he thinks is cool, *Life lesson* Don't rag on him and hate him and tell him that he should have done something else instead.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Maybe these will be the five DLC fighters?

Robot ladybug (Sonic)

Genome soldier (MGS)

Rattata (Pokemon)

Bokoblin (Zelda)

A bat (Castlevania)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
OVERTIME making a character with a unique moveset, that's how they spent their FREE TIME
That's...
That's not how game development works. You can't just model, animate, voice, code, texture, etc etc a character on your off time.

Unless you provide a source, I'm going to assume that's total bull****.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's...
That's not how game development works. You can't just model, animate, voice, code, texture, etc etc a character on your off time.
I mean... to be fair, that's how one of the greatest video games of all time was developed.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean... to be fair, that's how one of the greatest video games of all time was developed.

Also, it would not be too out of character for Sakurai to spend his free time doing something like that. Man is a very creative workaholic.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Going to say that there's a big difference between that and a Smash character, and those two really aren't comparable, especially nowadays and with the work that goes into making a single character in a fighting game.
Also, it would not be too out of character for Sakurai to spend his free time doing something like that. Man is a very creative workaholic.
Listen, even if Sakurai was the SMARTEST. MAN. ON. THE. PLANET,
He CANNOT POSSIBLY create an entire character singlehandedly. A character is made of the sum parts of dozens of people, of WILDLY varying skillsets, not just the creative director.

StormC

Smash Hero
Going to say that there's a big difference between that and a Smash character, and those two really aren't comparable, especially nowadays and with the work that goes into making a single character in a fighting game.
Well yeah. I just wanted to bring up that factoid because I like it so much. :p

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
What do we have here

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77167164

If this is true thats may help a season 2 to happen
Dosen't seem true to me. I did a semi-thorough listen starting from the point when DLC was announced. My Japanese is not perfect by any means, but all the parts about starting from scratch and not having started DLC development yet were there, and the only bit I heard about not being able to include characters was Rex.

Speaking of Rex not making it

Sakurai: ‘Since we decided which fighters to include when we planned the game, we weren’t able to add characters from some games’ *shows Rex*

He was talking about the DLC Fighter Pass just before, so context points to him referring to DLC, but let’s look at the meaning of the sentence.

I was hoping it would be less vague in Japanese. If you trust the combination of me and Youtube's captions, the fighters that Rex could not be a part of were the 企画開始ファイター Which I would translate semi-literally as "project beginning fighters" or "planning beginning fighters", which is still vague since if DLC was in-fact planned from the beginning, then that could include DLC, but it sounds more like base roster to me.

I still think its possible the DLC was decided on somewhat after the base roster, and could be influenced by early 3rd party switch titles, or (much less likely) contain a promotion from a Smash 4 assist trophy that had already had its port finished when DLC planning started.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace

It's not a slap in the face to either the competitive players or the casual audience watching from the sidelines. And it's not a slap in the face period. They put work into a moveset concept they wanted to implement, a moveset that spoke for itself in such volumes that a sizable number of people swore they would main it at first sight.

People go "add this, add that," and never really think about how that's supposed to add to Smash in practice. But Smash is just an all-star crossover on its surface, when it's a fantastic fighting game at its core. So why must every character pick be governed by whoever's eligible for the Nintendo Hall of Fame foremost, instead of whoever might actually be fun to play as? "Fun" is relative, of course, and generated primarily by moveset execution, but it's not something that's ever been exclusive to playable protagonist characters, or even anyone with a named identity.

At some point, there are no more Ridleys, Inklings, or K. Rools to cover. And plenty of people feel that that time hasn't come yet, true, but it's a feeling that I believe Sakurai already felt way back in Smash 4, when he was pulling from recent characters instead of old wishlisted ones. Putting Robin over Chrom because Robin had something different as a moveset, giving Rosalina a Luma partner instead of just echoing Zelda in concept, all these small signs that signify that Sakurai wanted a fun and unique moveset from every newcomer he added.

At the end of the day, Sakurai isn't beholden to everyone who ever posted in a character support thread. He's not responsible for handing out Relevance Recognition medals, and he's certainly not responsible for anyone's uncurated expectations. The only thing he's responsible for is making a great game to play, and that's not something anyone can accomplish by just adding whoever's on the wishlists alone.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please write out swear words as normal. The auto-censor will catch them.

That said, "enemies" in games are still characters. Whether playable, boss, NPC, whatever. It's just a character in the game. They're generic, sure. But many of the Pokemon are just as generic races(but still a character by actual definition). Don't confuse a Character existing with having actual Characterization(which is how their personality is defined). Coincidentally, those enemies all have characterization by the way they move, attack, speak, and so on. Piranha Plant is like Mr. Game & Watch, generic as hell, but a combination of all kinds of versions of their "race" put into one character. And it's a unique idea implemented into Smash.

Besides that, it's a bonus character(though still DLC by all means). One you can get free. They need something that the casual audience will easily go for. It's just a holdover to have fun for players till the bigger guns come in. Ones that will take a while to make, especially if they're 3rd party(as they haven't started development on them, implying they had to get the rights for some). Piranha Plant clearly had a lot of work done already, though we don't know when it was started. Possibly later into development, or it could've been someone they started on early for fun as a side idea. Sakurai never explained what led him to choose this kind of character. Best he's said is he's an iconic enemy.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910

Listen, even if Sakurai was the SMARTEST. MAN. ON. THE. PLANET,
He CANNOT POSSIBLY create an entire character singlehandedly. A character is made of the sum parts of dozens of people, of WILDLY varying skillsets, not just the creative director.
While it might be true that the ENTIRE CHARACTER WASN'T CREATED IN THEIR SPARE TIME, it still stands that this is *BONUS CHARACTER*. No matter which way you spin it, it is one. You can talk all you want of it being the BANE OF SMASH, but, AT IT'S CORE it's a character you can get for free if you preorder the game after the direct. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET THE CHARACTER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BECAUSE HE IS A BONUS CHARACTER THAT THEY PUT IN AS A BONUS.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
At the end of the day - Plant is a character that we didn’t know we were getting.

That is the point of it - whacky and out of left field - like the announcement. Have fun with it.

We don’t need more “fake rules” deciding who or shouldn’t be on the roster for whatever reason the community comes up with (more females, more villians, generic enemy, only Japanese characters, they are not important enough or relevant enough...etc) because us saying something is not what determines if a character is included or not.

I do get that people have their wants for certain characters to be in the game and I know how it feels to hope when it all seems gone. As I entered my adult life, I related to Snake as a character (fighting on top of metal gears, clone brothers - the works!) so Sm4sh speculation was really rough for me. I never expected Snake to be in one of my other favorite series to begin with...I flipped out when he was announced in Brawl and was bummed when he “kept us waiting” for the entire Sm4sh cycle - so bummed that it took away from what we were actually getting in the game. I was deflated and I didn’t care about anything else - just about this one character - and it was devastating and I ruined the enjoyment I should have had. Look, I am glad Snake is back, but the Smash series is it’s own series and that is what should be appreciated from the getgo - the what the Smash series means to us. The fun and those experiences that came with playing Smash64 with my high school friends up until melee and then carrying that to college up until Brawl. It was something else. And that’s really what mattered most - those experiences and friendships. Although it wasn’t a character - those experiences also meant a lot to me like Snake did in their own way.

Appreciate what Sakurai and his team works so hard to give us. And what that means to you. Remember to set your expectations for this DLC appropriately - straw grasping enables easy disappointment.

And for the record - I don’t care who you are... if you are not buying the game because you don’t like this free goofy character, then you are no true smash fan. You are missing the point and Smash is better off without you. It’s just petty and selfish. Be excellent to one another.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
At the end of the day - Plant is a character that we didn’t know we were getting.

That is the point of it - whacky and out of left field - like the announcement. Have fun with it.

We don’t need more “fake rules” deciding who or shouldn’t be on the roster for whatever reason the community comes up with (more females, more villians, generic enemy, only Japanese characters, they are not important enough or relevant enough...etc) because us saying something is not what determines if a character is included or not.

I do get that people have their wants for certain characters to be in the game and I know how it feels to hope when it all seems gone. As I entered my adult life, I related to Snake as a character (fighting on top of metal gears, clone brothers - the works!) so Sm4sh speculation was really rough for me. I never expected Snake to be in one of my other favorite series to begin with...I flipped out when he was announced in Brawl and was bummed when he “kept us waiting” for the entire Sm4sh cycle - so bummed that it took away from what we were actually getting in the game. I was deflated and I didn’t care about anything else - just about this one character - and it was devastating and I ruined the enjoyment I should have had. Look, I am glad Snake is back, but the Smash series is it’s own series and that is what should be appreciated from the getgo - the what the Smash series means to us. The fun and those experiences that came with playing Smash64 with my high school friends up until melee and then carrying that to college up until Brawl. It was something else. And that’s really what mattered most - those experiences and friendships. Although it wasn’t a character - those experiences also meant a lot to me like Snake did in their own way.

Appreciate what Sakurai and his team works so hard to give us. And what that means to you. Remember to set your expectations for this DLC appropriately - straw grasping enables easy disappointment.

And for the record - I don’t care who you are... if you are not buying the game because you don’t like this free goofy character, then you are no true smash fan. You are missing the point and Smash is better off without you. It’s just petty and selfish. Be excellent to one another.
Well spoken

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here are My predictions for the DLC Newcomers:
A. Geno[Sakurai wanted him in since Brawl; and Making him PAID DLC will make Square enix get a lot of money, due to how many people want Geno in Smash; Plus, He was an Icon on the Online Menu; where spirits are not allowed; and even if he WAS A Spirit; so are other playable characters such as Daisy, King K. Rool, Male Wii Fit Trainer, etc.]
B. Travis Touchdown[I think Suda51 will finally make a way for his character to be in Smash; as DLC; maybe By Calling Sakurai out in his upcoming Game; Travis Strikes again]
C. Bandana Waddle Dee[If a FREAKING Piranha Plant can make it in; Why can't a Waddle Dee, Especially a significant one that's the 4th wheel and is the Right-hand Mook of King Dedede especially since he would provide a Spear-focused Moveset to balance against Air Fighters]
D. Banjo & Kazooie[Due to Good Relationships between Microsoft & nintendo; as well as Minecraft's Microsoft/Nintendo Cross-play]
E. Linkle[Popular; Has a Unique Moveset Potential; Fits Smash; could have a Cucco Stampede Final Smash akin to Yoshi's Stampede Final Smash]

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Here are My predictions for the DLC Newcomers:
A. Geno[Sakurai wanted him in since Brawl; and Making him PAID DLC will make Square enix get a lot of money, due to how many people want Geno in Smash; Plus, He was an Icon on the Online Menu; where spirits are not allowed; and even if he WAS A Spirit; so are other playable characters such as Daisy, King K. Rool, Male Wii Fit Trainer, etc.]
B. Travis Touchdown[I think Suda51 will finally make a way for his character to be in Smash; as DLC; maybe By Calling Sakurai out in his upcoming Game; Travis Strikes again]
C. Bandana Waddle Dee[If a FREAKING Piranha Plant can make it in; Why can't a Waddle Dee, Especially a significant one that's the 4th wheel and is the Right-hand Mook of King Dedede especially since he would provide a Spear-focused Moveset to balance against Air Fighters]
D. Banjo & Kazooie[Due to Good Relationships between Microsoft & nintendo; as well as Minecraft's Microsoft/Nintendo Cross-play]
E. Linkle[Popular; Has a Unique Moveset Potential; Fits Smash; could have a Cucco Stampede Final Smash akin to Yoshi's Stampede Final Smash]
Linkle and Travis would be cool..... but since the DLC will probably be based of fan wants again, neither of them are popular enough soooo.... ya.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Linkle and Travis would be cool..... but since the DLC will probably be based of fan wants again, neither of them are popular enough soooo.... ya.
We don't know that. If they could make a freaking Piranha Plant a playable character than anything can happen.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don’t think DLC is going to be based off fan wants, so they stand a chance. Travis in particular seems like not a bad bet, he’s popular in the community (albeit an underdog pick and somewhat controversial from what I’ve seen), and would advertise his new game.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Don’t think DLC is going to be based off fan wants, so they stand a chance. Travis in particular seems like not a bad bet, he’s popular in the community (albeit an underdog pick and somewhat controversial from what I’ve seen), and would advertise his new game.
Why wouldn't they do DLC off of fan wants? Travis would be cool..... But I just don't see enough people wanting him.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My top three DLC wants are Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, and Elma, so if any if them make it in I'll be more than satisfied.

Elma is the most plausible in my mind, but my heart would break out of my chest if I heard a phone ringing during a fight between Bayonetta and Snake. Travis was among my Brawl most-wanted along with Chibi Robo.

I want to believe Travis has a shot, but to be honest I'll believe it when I see it. He and Neku have support, but we are fairly silent compared to the heavy hitters. Same with Phoenix, but Phoenix has consistently placed highly in all fan polls whereas Travis and Neku are nearer the bottom.

But I can dream!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why wouldn't they do DLC off of fan wants? Travis would be cool..... But I just don't see enough people wanting him.
I don’t see DLC being built from fan wants because A. Base roster wasn’t. B. History points to a different direction for DLC.

Judd

Smash Rookie
I'm sick of seeing Link, Zelda and Ganon all over again. Linkle wouldn't be any better than adding someone like Toon Zelda or another Link. Give me Skull Kid, Midna, Skull Kid, Impa, Tingle or Ghirahim, no character resembling the big 3 should get into Smash again

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm sick of seeing Link, Zelda and Ganon all over again. Linkle wouldn't be any better than adding someone like Toon Zelda or another Link. Give me Skull Kid, Midna, Skull Kid, Impa, Tingle or Ghirahim, no character resembling the big 3 should get into Smash again
I want Vaati...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Unless it's Wolf Link with Midna riding on his back...then we're good :p

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
I don’t see DLC being built from fan wants because A. Base roster wasn’t. B. History points to a different direction for DLC.
Wut? Are you STILL hung up over Piranha Plant? The Base was entirely based off of fan wants! Do I even have to talk about it! And while some of DLC's inclusion weren't fan wants... Most of them were

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For God's sake man, Everyone Is Here WAS building the roster based on fan wants. Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf CONSISTENTLY topped the fan polls, hence why there was veteran DLC for Sm4sh and why they brought everyone else back. It's also not unlikely to think that Bayo and Cloud at least placed on the ballot and obviously Ridley and K. Rool did too. Just because everyone wasn't a ballot pick doesn't mean the ENTIRE DIRECTION OF ULTIMATE wasn't influenced by the ballot.

There's no reason to believe that DLC isn't going to be based at least somewhat on fan wants, even if it's not the "heavy hitters" the Smash bubble always looks towards. DLC especially opens the door for third parties as royalties can be appropriately split with more ease.

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
For God's sake man, Everyone Is Here WAS building the roster based on fan wants. Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf CONSISTENTLY topped the fan polls, hence why there was veteran DLC for Sm4sh and why they brought everyone else back. It's also not unlikely to think that Bayo and Cloud at least placed on the ballot and obviously Ridley and K. Rool did too. Just because everyone wasn't a ballot pick doesn't mean the ENTIRE DIRECTION OF ULTIMATE wasn't influenced by the ballot.

There's no reason to believe that DLC isn't going to be based at least somewhat on fan wants, even if it's not the "heavy hitters" the Smash bubble always looks towards. DLC especially opens the door for third parties as royalties can be appropriately split with more ease.
Good Grief is just really salty that P-plant is a playable character

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Good Grief is just really salty that P-plant is a playable character
Yo, feel free to disagree, but do so in a respectful way.

I’ve got way more problems with this game than a single DLC character.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm absolutely terrified of the DLC with all the announcements going on, I just don't want a ton of third parties that are put in as advertising reps, when there are bigger requested characters and options still left on the table. Something like the GranBlue character would be almost a 100% corporate advertising move, and that would piss me off so much to see that in Smash Bros. Corrin was rough, but at least they were from a long running Nintendo franchise that appeared on consoles, and not a mobile game that popped up a couple years ago. And the fact that the character we've heard would be an anime swordswomen that practically no one wants would only earn more rage from the community.

Dragon Quest certainly deserves a spot in Smash, but I really hope they don't just go with the newest protagonist for the advertising. If Piranha Plant ever gave me hope for anyone it was Slime since he is one of the most popular characters ever in Japan and would make for a unique representative, the whole Edrick and so on I understand to some extent, but I've never really seen much to convince me that they're good additions.

Steve I've just about come around to accepting as some sort of inevitability, for better and for worse. It helps that I have a GranBlue character to take all my hate, but I also just kind of got used to him after all this speculation. I still disagree with his inclusion on multiple levels, but I'm kind of ambivalent about the whole ordeal at this point. It just would be such a damn shame to pass on Banjo Kazooie when Microsoft is on the table and fans would again be livid.

Those are going to be the three that I'm going to expect at this point like I expected Ken and Incineroar to maintain my hype levels low. I obviously am completely opposed to one, and depending on how the other two are chosen (Because I would be the Geno and Banjo guy), I'm either ecstatic or slightly annoyed and mostly ambivalent.

I think there's a good chance we get Lloyd Irving as a character, which is probably the best case scenario of a new third party franchise that we've heard rumblings being added. Tales is pretty big, and Lloyd has a ton of support in the community to this day. He'd be another anime swordsman, but again, the community actively wants him and I've seen some cool ideas for him move set wise.

Then I also think we have to at least have one new Nintendo character in the DLC. If by nothing else than the fact that we've still got a couple of popular characters hanging around that don't have any good reason not to be in.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
For me, personally, My DLC wishlist is for personal wants and other peoples wants(some of them are really interesting)

Here it is,

Geno: A LOT of people want him and I now see the appeal, really it's either him or paper mario, I really like the Mario RPG games and I'd love that somebody from that series (Geno, Paper Mario, Fawful and Rabbid Peach) could possibly be in smash!

Waddle Dee: Played 1 Kirby game for ten minutes, not much to say there, just thought he could be a really good character to add to smash.

Banjo: This is a weird one.... I don't really like any collect-athon games, I just like the character and could open the door to master chief in the future.

Jibanyan: Yup! This is all personal want! I love the Yo-kai watch game series TO DEATH! While you might say that he wouldn't bring anything to the table... Think again.. He's a fast small cat that could be the fastest character in the game, he would have a fire move too... But, would be a glass cannon. He would be a very OP character... If you know how to use him!

Ravio: I also love Zelda to death... especially Link between worlds! Beaten the game like 10 times and loved it every time! His moveset could be the assortment of items in his shop. This means that he could be OF THE ROOF when playing as him and could be like nothing we've had BEFORE!

Well, that's all of them! There a lot more I wanted to include(Rayman, Master Chief etc...) but of course 5 characters is 5 characters.
Be free to reply to this with your personal want list for DLC!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
For me, personally, My DLC wishlist is for personal wants and other peoples wants(some of them are really interesting)

Here it is,

Geno: A LOT of people want him and I now see the appeal, really it's either him or paper mario, I really like the Mario RPG games and I'd love that somebody from that series (Geno, Paper Mario, Fawful and Rabbid Peach) could possibly be in smash!

Waddle Dee: Played 1 Kirby game for ten minutes, not much to say there, just thought he could be a really good character to add to smash.

Banjo: This is a weird one.... I don't really like any collect-athon games, I just like the character and could open the door to master chief in the future.

Jibanyan: Yup! This is all personal want! I love the Yo-kai watch game series TO DEATH! While you might say that he wouldn't bring anything to the table... Think again.. He's a fast small cat that could be the fastest character in the game, he would have a fire move too... But, would be a glass cannon. He would be a very OP character... If you know how to use him!

Ravio: I also love Zelda to death... especially Link between worlds! Beaten the game like 10 times and loved it every time! His moveset could be the assortment of items in his shop. This means that he could be OF THE ROOF when playing as him and could be like nothing we've had BEFORE!

Well, that's all of them! There a lot more I wanted to include(Rayman, Master Chief etc...) but of course 5 characters is 5 characters.
:4sonic: would like a word with you.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Here it is,

Jibanyan is a possibility we are all sleeping on. If not Jibanyan, then the YoKai Watch protagonist a la Pokemon Trainer. Jibanyan is a Level 5 character who has been supporting Nintendo for years with the Layton games and now this, and YoKai Watch actually outsold Pokemon at one point.

I would prefer Layton just because I like his games more but Jibanyan is very very possible.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
While I can't say I'm certain about the rest, I've got hard bets on both a Minecraft rep and Banjo-Kazooie. Minecraft is just an undeniably large part of the current gaming landscape, as well as being a genre yet to be represented in Smash and an opportunity to see some construction in a moveset for once. I also have a feeling that even if it's Steve, he might not be named Steve, since he's a placeholder character as much as Villager or Inkling is. Either way, no point letting all the trolls sour what'd be a decent decision in any other context.

Banjo-Kazooie's been on this road for as long as Ridley has - Sakurai's known about them even back in the N64 days, and if their ballot standing was reflected in any way by the speed that Yooka-Laylee got funded, then I think he knows how popular they are even now. People might think it's unlikely we get them after P-Plant, but they'd have probably told you Cloud was still an impossibility after getting Duck Hunt too.

Who knows if there's some benefit to roping Microsoft in only after the base game was done? Either way, any of the two getting in would only significantly improve the chances that we get the other, since the real main hurdle is whether Sakurai/Nintendo would negotiate with Microsoft over Smash characters in the first place.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
New prediction for the DLC characters.

-Bandana Dee
-Banjo-Kazooie or Steve
-Elma
-Rayman
-Sora
I feel like Rayman has a really good chance. With how close Nintendo and Ubi are and he's one of the higher requested characters and was absent from the assist trophies and spirits section. Also the Ubisoft CEO said this not long after the starlink/starfox announcement

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom