• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

St0pidIAm

Smash Rookie
My dream dlc characters are Takumi (From FE), Sora (Rather have Sora than Geno), Paper Mario, Rayman, Mythra

Half of these guys are probably not getting in but even if they don't i'm okay with the roster right now so im all good.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What do people think of Dixies chances of DLC?
Decent:

-Has a very similar frame to Diddy so would probably be relatively easy to develop.

-Prime semi clone material like Isabelle.

-Tropical Freeze did extremely well on both Wii U and Switch.

-Character fanbase has a long history both inside and outside of the Smash community.

I put her at 75%.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
You forget that people will only buy the DLC IF They like it. For example Geno would amazingly if he brought over as DLC, if you look at all of smash 4's DLC pics, everyone(Except for Corrin(nobody likes Corrin:ultcorrin::grrr:)) was either highly requested in the community or just famous characters, they would WANT to make famous or highly requested characters DLC because they KNOW that that's the only the ONLY way they're going to sell, Corrin was the Worst selling DLC because NOBODY LIKES CORRIN and very few wanted ANOTHER FE character. Viridi's out from the start, and I highly doubt a lot of the non-Nintendo owned characters could be considered for DLC, you make some VERY GOOD POINTS, just remember that CORRIN MUST DIE! NOBODY LOVES YOU!:4corrin:(lol)
You really just wanted to hate on Corrin in this post, didn't you? :laugh:

You're right about people buying DLCs only if they like it. Which is why Geno would actually not do amazingly. Sure, part of the community is requesting him but that community, while vocal, represents a tiny portion of the actual playerbase. You have children playing the game, they've never even heard of Super Mario RPG. They wouldn't know about Geno. Their parents even less, and they're the ones paying. From a commercial PoV, I'd say that instantly excludes Geno from the viable candidates. Hence why I put him as "please and appease". Same for Viridi (I agree with you on her, she likely won't get in).

We know at least one Tales of Port is coming to Switch (Vesperia), and supposedly the only reason Tekken 7 wasn't being ported at launch was lack of access to Switch hardware. With Bandai Namco helping develop Ultimate and a good chance of Switch titles that would line up with these fighters' DLC for promotion, I think these ties are plenty strong. We know Heihachi was already considered and passed over as a fighter for Smash 4, but not sure if that strengthens or weakens his chances :p
Bandai Namco helped develop Ultimate? Heihachi was considered for Sm4sh?? That changes everything! Heihachi is one of the likeliest candidates now! Lloyd could be in but it's still not as likely. He has his chances but with the other behemoths waiting to get in, I wouldn't cling to hope that he does manage to slip past them.

Btw, on another note, have people talked about Amaterasu's (from Okami) chances of being a DLC fighter? I mean:
https://pokde.net/gaming/okami-another-guinness-world-record/

"This particular record is for the “Most critically acclaimed videogame starring an animal character.” Its first Guinness World Record was for the “Least commercially successful winner of a Game of the Year award,” which is as insulting as it sounds."

That's how good Okami was, and it synergised extremely well with the wiimotes. Capcom has finally decided to trust the Switch and develop games for it. Ultra Street Fighter II was the only one available if memory serves, with a debatable price. Okami HD is the first of this batch of new games for the Switch and:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ok...ler-approximately-800k-units-currently.79249/

Capcom could be thinking of using Smash to promote an Okami 2 as part of that batch of new games. Then again, there's Monster Hunter who is quite a behemoth... Yes she's one of my wanted characters. While I want Amaterasu, I think we'll get Monster hunter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Children these days are bound to not know someone like Samus, we shouldn’t determine whether characters should be in by that parameter.

Plus, the audience for Nintendo products nowadays averages between the twenties and thirties. While Nintendo obviously continues to want to capture the younger audience, they’re not the ones buying Smash Ultimate DLC.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910

You're right about people buying DLCs only if they like it. Which is why Geno would actually not do amazingly. Sure, part of the community is requesting him but that community, while vocal, represents a tiny portion of the actual playerbase. You have children playing the game, they've never even heard of Super Mario RPG. They wouldn't know about Geno. Their parents even less, and they're the ones paying. From a commercial PoV, I'd say that instantly excludes Geno from the viable candidates. Hence why I put him as "please and appease". Same for Viridi (I agree with you on her, she likely won't get in).

Bandai Namco helped develop Ultimate? Heihachi was considered for Sm4sh?? That changes everything! Heihachi is one of the likeliest candidates now! Lloyd could be in but it's still not as likely. He has his chances but with the other behemoths waiting to get in, I wouldn't cling to hope that he does manage to slip past them.
lol my dorm friend LOVES FE, but hates the game she comes from(I know nothing about FE) he's a huge smash fan too and he hated when corrin got shown of, I made it as a joke to him.

Let's be honest here, the only people who care so much about DLC are the greedy man children like us who spend all of our time in forums making money of ADD REVENUE on Youtube and Roblox. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo would make a pretty penny charging us 4 million players $6 to buy the DLC(when you do the maths it ends up with 10 million big ones(for one character)).

Namco just put those costumes in for laughs or something, we are inspecting this WAY TOO HARD, might I remind you that we also got the bear and a monkey suit as costumes Ai Ai and winnie the pooh anyone?

Last edited:

St0pidIAm

Smash Rookie

Yea this does make sense but just thinking again about smash works most children wouldn't know about simon or ridley but they still got in. Also geno is alot more colorful than alot of the newcomers so children would be more attracted to geno than anything. Don't get me wrong this is still a very valid point. If children got there way we would have FORTNITE PEOPLE JOIN THE BATTLE. :laugh::laugh:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Anyone remember Nintendo Land? If Nintendo, not Sakurai is deciding the final characters, maybe they will pull from that game for characters since that to my knowledge is the only other Nintendo crossover besides Smash that they've made.

Potential characters based on minigames (For this argument's sake, I'm including everyone save those confirmed as fighters in case Nintendo wants to promote an Assist Trophy/Spirit/Final Smash);

The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest (Chuchus, Crows, Moblins, Keese, Kargoroks, Skulltulas, Stalfos, Tektites, Wizzrobes, Ganon)

Pikmin Adventure (Bulborbs)

Metroid Blast (Zebesians, Metroids, Geemers, Kraid)

Mario Chase (Toads)

Luigi's Ghost Mansion (Waluigi, Gold ghost)

Animal Crossing: Sweet Day (Booker, Copper, Dizzy, Peanut, Lily, Tangy)

Yoshi's Fruit Cart

Octopus Dance (Octopus, Divers)

Donkey Kong's Crash Course

Takamaru's Ninja Castle (Takamaru, Ninjas)

Captain Falcon's Twister Race

Balloon Trip Breeze (Balloon Fighter)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think the problem of saying this character is likely or this character is likely is we have no idea what Nintendo is going to pick. I think it's easy to say "X character will be in because A,B,C" but Nintendo is going to have different criteria for what they want. Do they want to included mostly their own characters or will they do something similar to Smash 4? Are they are going to have all characters to promote? Will there be some classic characters? Is Nintendo going to care about some of the lesser known characters like Geno? I think these are all important questions to ask but no one seems to be thinking about this. It's just business as usual.

I think the fact Sakurai brought it up means that they will be different enough for people to notice. I think it would be silly to think the DLC is what we expect when the last 74 characters were picked by one guy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Capcom could be thinking of using Smash to promote an Okami 2 as part of that batch of new games.
I also voted for her in the Smash Ballot. At this point she's a shoe-in! (I wish lol)

Anyway, here's what I'm thinkin':
  • At least one character will be added to promote a game.
    • Some possible games are Pokemon (2019), Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pikmin 4 (Unlikely), Metroid Prime 4 (Also unlikely), Rhythm Heaven Switch (Extremely unlikely), and Xenoblade Chronicles X Deluxe.
  • At least one third party character will be added.
    • The possible "wow factor" characters are Heihachi, Steve, Dragon Quest Character, Monster Hunter, and Sora (Unlikely).
    • Possible "good relations" characters are Heihachi, Lloyd, Rayman, Tails, and Geno.
    • If Nintendo wants to support the Indie scene, then Shantae will be the pick. However, her creator probably would have been contacted before starting up her campaign again so I don't think Shantae has been picked for DLC.
  • Rex & Pyra are possible due to the success of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but aren't shoe-ins.
  • Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong have a decent shot. There will be no ARMS character. There will be no Chibi-Robo.
In my opinion the most likely candidates are a Gen 8 Starter Pokémon, Elma or Rex & Pyra, Heihachi, Steve, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Rayman, and Geno.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77188739

Words from Senjougahara__Hitagi the other creditable leaker since Vergeben is Backing this person

1. Steve is indeed one of the packs characters

2. Katalina (granblue) still likely despite the “fell through” thing Vergeben mentioned

3. Another western made character is likely one of the packs (for me best I can think of is crash bandicoot)

4. The square rep may be a dragon quest rep

5. The VGA announcement thing may be faulty information

6. Banjo not likely :(

7. Atlus rep and Bethesda rep not happening

8. Sora, Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex/Pyra, Professor Layton, Zack Fair, any other Final Fantasy character, Lloyd Irving, Prince of All Cosmos, and any other Bamco rep very likely.....not to happen :( and paper Mario and advanced wars chances are dead all together.

9. We will still love the 5 chosen characters regardless

What do you guys think?

Oh I think one of the packs will pull another Corrin with a gen 8 pokemon or a Metroid prime 4 rep (but could really be anybody)

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm not taking his suggestions to heart, short of at least one of his characters being in.

Steve is actually a predictable choice, so I'll still not take him that seriously but actually begin to consider him, but if Katalina happens he has my faith because that's somebody only a real leaker could predict.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Words from Senjougahara__Hitagi the other creditable leaker since Vergeben is Backing this person

2. Katalina (granblue) still likely despite the “fell through” thing Vergeben mentioned

3. Another western made character is likely one of the packs (for me best I can think of is crash bandicoot)

8. Sora, Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, Rex/Pyra, Professor Layton, Zack Fair, any other Final Fantasy character, Lloyd Irving, Prince of All Cosmos, and any other Bamco rep very likely.....not to happen :( and paper Mario and advanced wars chances are dead all together.

What do you guys think?

Oh I think one of the packs will pull another Corrin with a gen 8 pokemon or a Metroid prime 4 rep (but could really be anybody)
Id be very doubtful of a lot of these leaks, especially if they were saying the same thing before the Direct. Sakurai implied they just picked the characters, yet the DLC is the same characters they were saying months ago? "But they are working on the deals!" How long are they going to be working on that Minecraft deal that people knew of it back in June before the game was even announced to a few months down the road that the first DLC character will even be out. What this all looks like to me is that they were wrong about these things initially and now they will be carried over. He said Steve was in and Verge said there was Minecraft content in the game. We know the roster and the stages and there isn't Steve or any Minecraft content (unless its some costume or a Spirit for whatever reason). But now its DLC.

I'll also add the Granblue sounds like BS now that we know Nintendo is picking it. Why would they ask Cygame to use a character from Granblue when Nintendo and Cygames collaborated on a mobile game that Nintendo actually see profits on and promotes all the time through Twitter? If Sakurai was choosing, maybe. Nintendo codeveloped and owns (at least partially) Dragalia Lost. Why would they decide to add Granblue?

A lot of this sounds wishy washy anyway, like "Oh, maybe this will happen but I don't know." Verge was already wrong about Isabelle being an echo and no K Rool so we can't take anything he, or any of these other people, say as fact. Keep in mind no one said Piranha Plant, so how much do they really know?

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

What do you guys think?

If this is true, I think the final 5 will be

1. Steve (Obviously)
2. Katalina (Also obviously)
3. Erdrick (just b/c he's the most well known DQ protagonist)
4. Rayman (as the western character, since the relationship w/Ubi and Nintendo is great right now)
5. 1 Nintendo Rep (Could be FE 3 House character, Gen 8 mon, or maybe someone like Chorus Kids idk)

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Don't be so quick to forget about Chocobo as a potential Square Enix rep. In my opinion, he's the prime candidate and pretty much confirmed. I've provided quite a few reasons before, but here's one more. Square Enix is releasing a new Chocobo game for the Switch... after 7 years of hiatus (and a cancelled game). When is it being released? This winter. Same time as the Smash DLC. I don't think that's any coincidence. Targets a younger audience = new market shares for Square Enix. Not to mention amiibos would sell like hotcakes and be compatible with this new game.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/chocobo/en/index.html

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Don't be so quick to forget about Chocobo as a potential Square Enix rep. In my opinion, he's the prime candidate and pretty much confirmed. I've provided quite a few reasons before, but here's one more. Square Enix is releasing a new Chocobo game for the Switch... after 7 years of hiatus (and a cancelled game). When is it being released? This winter. Same time as the Smash DLC. I don't think that's any coincidence. Targets a younger audience = new market shares for Square Enix.

"Younger audience" isn't the only factor, though, afterall we got Bayonetta. Children probably don't even know who Cloud is, they may just think "oh he looks cool."

It also depends on if Nintendo wants the character; we may get Chocobo but he's not a 100%, no one is.

And the Smash DLC doesn't release this Winter.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Got a video I made in my sig showing all info on Lloyd's chances! Share if you can!
Liked the vid and Lloyd is one character that deserves to be in Smash. Tales of is that massive. But then again, Tekken even more so. Time will tell but crossing my fingers!

Oh by the way, it's Golden Sunday today! Quick shoutout to raise awareness of this event. Make sure to show Nintendo we want more Golden Sun! Even if Isaac isn't playable in Smash, make Golden Sun 4 a reality!

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Liked the vid and Lloyd is one character that deserves to be in Smash. Tales of is that massive. But then again, Tekken even more so. Time will tell but crossing my fingers!

Oh by the way, it's Golden Sunday today! Quick shoutout to raise awareness of this event. Make sure to show Nintendo we want more Golden Sun! Even if Isaac isn't playable in Smash, make Golden Sun 4 a reality!
Appreciate it! Thank you IsaacBro! :chuckle:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Don't be so quick to forget about Chocobo as a potential Square Enix rep. In my opinion, he's the prime candidate and pretty much confirmed. I've provided quite a few reasons before, but here's one more. Square Enix is releasing a new Chocobo game for the Switch... after 7 years of hiatus (and a cancelled game). When is it being released? This winter. Same time as the Smash DLC. I don't think that's any coincidence. Targets a younger audience = new market shares for Square Enix. Not to mention amiibos would sell like hotcakes and be compatible with this new game.

Remember, "Pretty much confirmed" is what we all thought of Shadow the Hedgehog, and look what happened there despite the new Sonic assist trophy and such.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Remember, "Pretty much confirmed" is what we all thought of Shadow the Hedgehog, and look what happened there despite the new Sonic assist trophy and such.
True, I was genuinely surprised that Shadow remained an Assist Trophy. I think Sakurai considered him but figured that no one else could take on the mantle from him to do the same job as an Assist Trophy, and that a unique Trophy added more to the game than another echo fighter (especially since echo fighters tend to be looked down upon).

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
True, I was genuinely surprised that Shadow remained an Assist Trophy. I think Sakurai considered him but figured that no one else could take on the mantle from him to do the same job as an Assist Trophy, and that a unique Trophy added more to the game than another echo fighter (especially since echo fighters tend to be looked down upon).
The weird thing is..... the 3rd party echos are all very similar in their own games. Shadow is nothing like sonic even in his debut and the more I think of it... Shadow rarely does a spin dash. I think that shadow just doesn't make sense as an echo anymore. The exact same is true with isabelle as well, it's obvious that she was supposed to be an echo, but after working on the character the team had to upgrade her to newcomer due to her being very DIFFERENT from villager. The same COULD be true with shadow too, but Sakurai has said many times that 3rd parties are guests and since we've never gotten a second unique rep from any 3rd parties, I think it's safe to assume that shadow could've only gotten in as an echo.

This is also the reson that I think that tails and egg-man have NO CHANCE at DLC.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The weird thing is..... the 3rd party echos are all very similar in their own games. Shadow is nothing like sonic even in his debut and the more I think of it... Shadow rarely does a spin dash. I think that shadow just doesn't make sense as an echo anymore. The exact same is true with isabelle as well, it's obvious that she was supposed to be an echo, but after working on the character the team had to upgrade her to newcomer due to her being very DIFFERENT from villager. The same COULD be true with shadow too, but Sakurai has said many times that 3rd parties are guests and since we've never gotten a second unique rep from any 3rd parties, I think it's safe to assume that shadow could've only gotten in as an echo.

This is also the reson that I think that tails and egg-man have NO CHANCE at DLC.
However, this does not mean that third party franchises can only get echoes as second reps. That's a fan rule that Sakurai has shown that he can break.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman

Um... What?

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta
Konami: Snake, Simon Belmont (+Richter Belmont as an echo)
Capcom: MegaMan, Ryu (+Ken as an echo)

Only Bandai Namco and Square Enix have a single rep so far. Which will probably change with the DLC. I suspect Heihachi coming and Chocobo (or a DQ character).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Um... What?

Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta
Konami: Snake, Simon Belmont (+Richter Belmont as an echo)
Capcom: MegaMan, Ryu (+Ken as an echo)

Only Bandai Namco and Square Enix have a single rep so far. Which will probably change with the DLC. I suspect Heihachi coming and Chocobo (or a DQ character).
He's talking about third party franchises having multiple characters.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Oh okay. In that case, it's merely a self-imposed rule the community has decided upon for some reason. Sakurai and Nintendo likely don't care about that. Just like how the community assumed it would only be Nintendo characters and dismissed Sonic being a part of it.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Oh okay. In that case, it's merely a self-imposed rule the community has decided upon for some reason. Sakurai and Nintendo likely don't care about that. Just like how the community assumed it would only be Nintendo characters and dismissed Sonic being a part of it.
People dismissed sonic... until mother****ing snake made it in. And sakurai has said that these are guest characters. I can't prove I'm right..... But you can't prove me wrong.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The same COULD be true with shadow too, but Sakurai has said many times that 3rd parties are guests and since we've never gotten a second unique rep from any 3rd parties, I think it's safe to assume that shadow could've only gotten in as an echo.

2nd Unique 3rd party franchise reps can only be echoes is just plain goalpost moving.

I do at least agree that it's UNLIKELY. Especially with potentially only 5 spots for Unique newcomers should the fighter pass be all that's left for unique/character DLC in general.

But considering it was once thought we couldn't get more then one per company :ultryu:
Or even 3rd parties even getting a 2nd character in general regardless of the fact that echoes existed :ultrichter:

It's just not that impossible for it to happen. Unless Sakurai ever says this is the case, it's nothing more then a fan rule made by speculation in an attempt to rule out potential characters.

I will say again that I do still find it unlikely. Especially in regards to another Sonic character coming from the fighter pass, mostly because I doubt we get 3 Sonic stages. I actually think Tails' best bet is if Echo Fighters outside of the fighter pass are still possible, and Tails makes it in as a Ken-level echo (Now that the obvious echo Shadow might have been ruled out for good due to being AT'd once again). Sonic's main moveset is derived heavily from Sonic the FIghters. Tails also shared many moves with Sonic in the same game. So in a sense, Tails was the Ken of Sonic the Fighters.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
2nd Unique 3rd party franchise reps can only be echoes is just plain goalpost moving.

I do at least agree that it's UNLIKELY. Especially with potentially only 5 spots for Unique newcomers should the fighter pass be all that's left for unique/character DLC in general.

But considering it was once thought we couldn't get more then one per company :ultryu:
Or even 3rd parties even getting a 2nd character in general regardless of the fact that echoes existed :ultrichter:

It's just not that impossible for it to happen. Unless Sakurai ever says this is the case, it's nothing more then a fan rule made by speculation in an attempt to rule out potential characters.

I will say again that I do still find it unlikely. Especially in regards to another Sonic character coming from the fighter pass, mostly because I doubt we get 3 Sonic stages. I actually think Tails' best bet is if Echo Fighters outside of the fighter pass are still possible, and Tails makes it in as a Ken-level echo (Now that the obvious echo Shadow might have been ruled out for good due to being AT'd once again). Sonic's main moveset is derived heavily from Sonic the FIghters. Tails also shared many moves with Sonic in the same game. So in a sense, Tails was the Ken of Sonic the Fighters.
Let me be very clear here...... 1. Someone can only be a 3rd party echo if, they were seen as a clone in there own game and 2 if they are similar enough to the character they are echoing in move-set(we've seen this with richter and ken). Shadow was significantly different from sonic in his debut and he never or rarely used a spin dash, Sonics moveset just doesn't work for him.

As for my theory, don't you think it would be the least bit fishy that they never considered any 3rd party 2nd newcomers in the past? This is a theory after all, and after the box theory.... ya, theories are kinda a thing now.

As for tails... Sakurai said that he would only add NEWCOMERS, even outside the fighters pass, wouldn't it be a bit scumy if they charged for an echo? That's something that EA would do... not nintendo. And yes, while tails was extremely similar to sonic in the Genesis trilogy, now he has become SOOO different from sonic that it wouldn't be properly representing the character IF he got into smash as an echo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Let me be very clear here...... 1. Someone can only be a 3rd party echo if, they were seen as a clone in there own game and 2 if they are similar enough to the character they are echoing in move-set(we've seen this with richter and ken). Shadow was significantly different from sonic in his debut and he never or rarely used a spin dash, Sonics moveset just doesn't work for him.

As for my theory, don't you think it would be the least bit fishy that they never considered any 3rd party 2nd newcomers in the past? This is a theory after all, and after the box theory.... ya, theories are kinda a thing now.

As for tails... Sakurai said that he would only add NEWCOMERS, even outside the fighters pass, wouldn't it be a bit scumy if they charged for an echo? That's something that EA would do... not nintendo. And yes, while tails was extremely similar to sonic in the Genesis trilogy, now he has become SOOO different from sonic that it wouldn't be properly representing the character IF he got into smash as an echo.
Shadow has a Spin dash that was the same as Sonic's in Adventure 2. Though to be fair on that point he hasn't Spin Dashed often since then, but the knowledge of his debut game which also happens to be the peak of his popularity should make it obvious he's capable of it.

Also we never had more then one newcomer from a 3rd party series because previous games were much more limited on scope. We only got 2 in Brawl. And we almost had only one if Sega had not changed their minds after initially declining. Of course we weren't going to get another character with them because things were so tight regarding 3rd parties then. And even in Smash 4's base game it was still a little tight to be honest. We lost Snake, but Sonic returned and we got Megaman and Pac-Man. A net gain of only one more 3rd party in the base game. DLC doubled it with Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta so it's easy to forget that Smash 4 was still rather restrained on 3rd parties at first. Ultimate however will have a grand total of TEN 3rd parties all present in the base game. This would blow people's minds as far back as 4 years ago.

As for Tails, believe me. I too think it would probably be preferable that he's not an echo. But with only 5 spots, and the lack of faith in them adding a 3rd Sonic stage has me believing the only way possible is Tails is a bonus of some kind made post-game if Echoes ever came back outside of the fighter pass. Sakurai has not explicitly said there wouldn't be anything outside the fighter pass as of yet. But it's still vague enough that it could go either way. Just in the situation that we DO get surprise echoes. I do think the 5 characters in the fighter pass will be all there is for Unique DLC characters, but I don't think the fate of Echoes have been entirely decided upon yet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would just like to state that Richter is in no way a clone of Simon, and plays very much differently from him. They’re only similar in Smash because Simon stole some of Richter’s signature moves.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Shadow has a Spin dash that was the same as Sonic's in Adventure 2. Though to be fair on that point he hasn't Spin Dashed often since then, but the knowledge of his debut game which also happens to be the peak of his popularity should make it obvious he's capable of it.

Also we never had more then one newcomer from a 3rd party series because previous games were much more limited on scope. We only got 2 in Brawl. And we almost had only one if Sega had not changed their minds after initially declining. Of course we weren't going to get another character with them because things were so tight regarding 3rd parties then. And even in Smash 4's base game it was still a little tight to be honest. We lost Snake, but Sonic returned and we got Megaman and Pac-Man. A net gain of only one more 3rd party in the base game. DLC doubled it with Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta so it's easy to forget that Smash 4 was still rather restrained on 3rd parties at first. Ultimate however will have a grand total of TEN 3rd parties all present in the base game. This would blow people's minds as far back as 4 years ago.

As for Tails, believe me. I too think it would probably be preferable that he's not an echo. But with only 5 spots, and the lack of faith in them adding a 3rd Sonic stage has me believing the only way possible is Tails is a bonus of some kind made post-game if Echoes ever came back outside of the fighter pass. Sakurai has not explicitly said there wouldn't be anything outside the fighter pass as of yet. But it's still vague enough that it could go either way. Just in the situation that we DO get surprise echoes. I do think the 5 characters in the fighter pass will be all there is for Unique DLC characters, but I don't think the fate of Echoes have been entirely decided upon yet.
Adventure 2 was one game in a series that has been around for 25 years, it's like making toad an echo of peach because in mario america they were both playable and had quite a few similarities. It's not he's not capable it's that it doesn't reflect the character.

And the fact that they got sooo many 3rd party newcomers in makes me wonder that wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and less stressful just to add a 2nd newcomer from an already existing series? It's not a lack of moveset or creativity, I just think that's a bit fishy if you ask me.

As for tales no. They will not add him as an echo because he is nothing like sonic, and as for stages, if they were able to add ****ing pac-world, I'm pretty sure they can find a unique stage to add in.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Adventure 2 was one game in a series that has been around for 25 years, it's like making toad an echo of peach because in mario america they were both playable and had quite a few similarities. It's not he's not capable it's that it doesn't reflect the character.

And the fact that they got sooo many 3rd party newcomers in makes me wonder that wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and less stressful just to add a 2nd newcomer from an already existing series? It's not a lack of moveset or creativity, I just think that's a bit fishy if you ask me.

As for tales no. They will not add him as an echo because he is nothing like sonic, and as for stages, if they were able to add ****ing pac-world, I'm pretty sure they can find a unique stage to add in.
Eh, Toad an echo of Peach? That's a little harder to justify than Sonic and Shadow since, well, Sonic and Shadow have very similar body types. Toad and Peach... there's almost nothing to work with there in terms of similarity.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I posted this in the Isaac thread, and someone recommended I put this here, so here it is: My official predictions for Ultimate's DLC.
I think we will see all five DLC fighters revealed next year, and I think believe Isaac will one of them. Here's how I see it going down. (If I'm right on some of the more out-there stuff, you heard it here first, folks.) (Also, this mostly just relates to Smash, so I won't be mentioning other games if they don't relate in any way.)

Late January/Early February:
Nintendo Direct. 2019 games are revealed and talked about. We see an official release date for Piranha Plant, which will come before or on its amiibo's release date of February 19th. Additionally, the first fighter for the Fighter Pack is revealed: a character from the upcoming Daemon x Machina. This is a Switch-exclusive game being publishing by Nintendo in the West. I think people are sleeping on a character from this game. While we don't know the release date, think feel like it'll be early 2019, and thus our first DLC fighter.

E3:
I don't think we get much Smash info between Feb. and E3 aside from the release of the character from Daemon. I think we see two fighters revealed at E3, both tying into long-anticipated games on Switch. My guess is we see a 10-15 minute segment dedicated to Smash, prefaced by the game announcement for fighter one, then closed by a game announcement for fighter two. First, is Isaac, from Golden Sun. I firmly believe that a remake of the first two games is in development, and Isaac will be promoted. Second, the big closer is Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Vergeben (as much as I dislike the guy) turned out to be right for base, and he says we get a Square rep, and I think Sora will tie into a Kingdom Hearts spinoff/remake on Switch (no way Kingdom Hearts 3 will happen, though). They'll probably hit between August and September, but I'm much less confident on the release dates of all five fighters.

September:
Much like this year, we see another Nintendo Direct in September. By this time, we'll know all about the next Pokemon game, and as such, this is when we get a new one. I have no idea who it would be (obviously), but I'd expect a very unique fighter, probably a new type we haven't seen before. Finally, much like when Cloud was announced, we see that we'll get a Smash-focused Direct in December.

December:
The "Final" Direct. The final character for the Fighter Pass is revealed to be... a character from the next Shin Megami Tensei game. I realized, while looking at upcoming Switch games, Shin Megami Tensei is a very Nintendo-exclusive series, as the the only numbered entry that isn't on Nintendo is 3, and even then, Atlus is looking to remake that game, so it might be on Switch soon anyway. Besides, I hear SMT is pretty popular in Japan, so this pick would be pleasing them, I believe. Anyway, at the end of the Direct, we get the classic "one more thing..." and see that a second wave of DLC (3-5 fighters, I'm not sure exactly how many) is confirmed for 2020. The first fighter is shown off, being Banjo-Kazooie, finally getting the dream of him in Smash.
What do you guys think?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I posted this in the Isaac thread, and someone recommended I put this here, so here it is: My official predictions for Ultimate's DLC.

What do you guys think?
I don’t think it’s completely implausible, but I don’t think it will happen.

I agree, Daemon X Machina is being slept on if promotional characters are being added. Personally, I don’t think they will.

Then, I think Sora is probably likely (although I would say it’s equally likely that we get a Dragon Quest rep instead). As for Isaac, if a Golden Sun remake/reboot is in development, I just don’t see it getting announced so soon. And I’m not really expecting such a cool character, but that’s just my pessimism.

For the new Pokémon, again I’m not expecting promotional picks.

And lastly, why would there be a Smash Direct? What else is there to show beyond a character, stage and music? Also, and I’m saying this as an SMT fan, but unless the next game breaks out Persona 5 style, we won’t get a character. There isn’t really one single go-to character, and a mascot like Jack Frost wouldn’t really represent the game. I guess they could just go with the new one, but I don’t know if Nintendo would go out of their way to advertise it that much.

(And I don’t think there’s a wave two coming, given Sakurai’s statements about wanting a break and Nintendo’s past history with DLC)

That said, it’s not impossible or even improbable. It seems a pretty middle of the road expectation, with only two characters (Sora & Isaac) being big fan wants, but no huge controversial (being generous) picks like Steve or Granblue girl. (Them again, I guess the new Pokémon could be more hated than Incineroar, or Daemon X Machina and SMTV guy could be a new Corrin, that’s the risk with promotional characters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom