• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
The DLC lineup will likely be:

1. Melmetal
2. Square Enix Character, maybe Sora or Geno
3. 1st Party Character, maybe Bandanna Dee if we're lucky
4. Granblue Character, likely Katalina
5. Minecraft Steve

I really hope this isn't the DLC lineup as the Squeenix character would be the only one I'd really look forward to, but I feel it's the most likely based off what we know so far.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Current hype levels for newcomers thus far, since we got the full roster minus currently unknown DLC fighters...

:ultinkling:-6/10
:ultdaisy:-2/10
:ultridley:-10/10
:ultsimon:-7/10
:ultrichter:-4/10
:ultchrom:-6/10
:ultdarksamus:-10/10
:ultkrool:-6/10
:ultisabelle:-3/10
Ken-5/10
Incineroar-6/10
Piranha Plant-10/10

That's right! I'm just as hyped for a potted plant as I am for a murderous space dragon and a mutated parasite in a destructive power suit!

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I'm hearing a lot about Vergeben commenting on a Granblue character as DLC, I can't seem to find it though, would someone link me please?

If this is true... Oof, that character won't sell well, and I'm pretty certain it'll sell far less than Steve if that's a legit thing.

Guess that would mean 3 third parties and 2 first parties? At least I hope. Focusing on solely 3rd party for DLC is such a waste imo.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Granblue would arguably represent a-

Wait a minute, would Sakurai feel beholden to represent a mobile franchise at all? That's my issue with the Granblue suggestion right now, especially since the representative doesn't seem to be any better than an anime swordswoman. And the last one we got was a Marth echo.

Without a hint of a decent moveset, it sounds a lot likelier that this was some corporate decision Sakurai was forced to abide to, which would be pretty sucky for Smash's future indeed. Far, far, suckier than Piranha Plant would suggest.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I speculate that Waluigi will actually be in the base game after all but no one will find out until launch. The meme-ing and excitement will help drive attention, hypes and sales.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Wait a minute, would Sakurai feel beholden to represent a mobile franchise at all? That's my issue with the Granblue suggestion right now, especially since the representative doesn't seem to be any better than an anime swordswoman. And the last one we got was a Marth echo.

Without a hint of a decent moveset, it sounds a lot likelier that this was some corporate decision Sakurai was forced to abide to, which would be pretty sucky for Smash's future indeed. Far, far, suckier than Piranha Plant would suggest.
She literally has ice powers. Also Sakurai made it very clear that he makes the final decisions in the roster.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Granblue Fantasy is also Japan-only, and he had Ayumi and Takamaru cut for that reason and Lucas wouldn't have been added had Sakurai known that Mother 3 wasn't getting localized.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Sakurai: ‘Since we decided which fighters to include when we planned the game, we weren’t able to add characters from some games’ *shows Rex*

He was talking about the DLC Fighter Pass just before, so context points to him referring to DLC, but let’s look at the meaning of the sentence.

‘We decided which fighters to include [for base] when we planned the game’
That sentence seems redundant, doesn’t it? It’s obvious that they decided the fighters when they planned the game.

‘We decided which fighters to include [as DLC] when we planned the game’
Sadly, that makes more sense.

Then there’s the fact that if they were planning to make Rex DLC, they wouldn’t have made a costume.

I’m sorry to say (would have loved Rex for DLC), but his case is not looking great, and neither is the case for any character post-2015.
Hmmm, not many people know they make a project plan for the base roster beforehand because many assume other games announced during development can still make it in.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ssibility_of_smash_bros_ultimate_demo_and_dlc also there's this

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
She literally has ice powers. Also Sakurai made it very clear that he makes the final decisions in the roster.
So she's a sword version of Fjorm from Fire Emblem Heroes? Is there more to that to justify
going through the paperwork of involving yet another third-party company?

Granblue Fantasy is also Japan-only, and he had Ayumi and Takamaru cut for that reason and Lucas wouldn't have been added had Sakurai known that Mother 3 wasn't getting localized.
That's definitely another big question, unless it's the same advertisement reason that Corrin had. Using Smash to promote a moneymaking mobile gacha outside of Japan? Horrible, but understandable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My thoughts

Steve
Crash bandicoot (unless dlc was decided during the period as well)
Sora or geno
Maybe tails or egg man (a couple of playable characters are spirits as well so no deconfirm there)
Banjo and kazooie
Rythmn heaven rep
Heihachi or Lloyd
Rayman or/and rabbids

What I can think of who could be in those five slots

By the way why is some assuming a season 2 didn’t Sakurai say dlc will end in February 2020 also that’s when about the fifth one will be completed

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's definitely another big question, unless it's the same advertisement reason that Corrin had. Using Smash to promote a moneymaking mobile gacha outside of Japan? Horrible, but understandable.
This is not like Corrin because Nintendo has no ownership over the Granblue Fantasy IP.

Judd

Smash Rookie
I wanna heat up discussion regarding the possibility of additional Echo Fighters, either as free updates or paid DLCs. I think it would be a shame if Sakurai would miss out on this opportunity to support the game beyond the Season Pass.

On top of this, Tom Nook is back in the draw! With Chrom still appearing in Robin's Final Smash, Tom Nooks chance of getting in Smash in general has increased significantly

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Did the Granblue fantasy series ever appear on a Nintendo console? If not, I feel like it violates that rule as I remember being mentioned somewhere by some non-Sakurai developer.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Did the Granblue fantasy series ever appear on a Nintendo console? If not, I feel like it violates that rule as I remember being mentioned somewhere by some non-Sakurai developer.
No. The series has only appeared on mobile and eventually the PS4.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
No. The series has only appeared on mobile and eventually the PS4.
So maybe at best, they're planning to bring over the series to Switch alongside the announcement (like if the DLC was decided 2015 or so, Minecraft would have barely existed on Nintendo at that point, in terms of making Steve DLC), but if it's only known in Japan, that's kinda the reason the why we never got characters like Takamaru and that Famicom Detective Club character.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
This is not like Corrin because Nintendo has no ownership over the Granblue Fantasy IP.
And why not? Business partners can do favors for each other, and Sakurai has no strong reason to give Granblue any special attention otherwise. This, of course, assumes that Vergeben's information is definitely accurate - and since the community's been horribly wrong about doubting credible information they've had for months already, it seems worthwhile to try and understand this possible future.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmmm, not many people know they make a project plan for the base roster beforehand because many assume other games announced during development can still make it in.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ssibility_of_smash_bros_ultimate_demo_and_dlc also there's this
For what it’s worth, Bill’s answers are classic non-commital PR talk (‘We’ll see closer to launch’ is basically ‘We’ll let you know when we want you to know’)

And again, if they were considering Rex to be possible as a DLC character, they wouldn’t have him as a DLC costume.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And why not? Business partners can do favors for each other, and Sakurai has no strong reason to give Granblue any special attention otherwise. This, of course, assumes that Vergeben's information is definitely accurate - and since the community's been horribly wrong about doubting credible information they've had for months already, it seems worthwhile to try and understand this possible future.
The only association GBF's developer Cygames has with Nintendo is through Nintendo's co-ownership of another Cygames IP, Dragalia Lost, which was made in 2018 and is thus too new to be considered. Cygames is even partnering with Platinum Games to release Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link internationally. However, this game will be exclusive to the PS4.

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Smash 4’s DLC was three third party characters, three veterans and one advertising picks. Veterans and advertising picks are out of the running, thus it’s all third parties this time around.

The ballot and fan demand doesn’t really mean anything. Most of the fan picks are disconfirmed anyways, and the roster selection implies that the process of selection is the same as 4’s.
What fan pics were disconfirmed? Geno wasn't, neither banjo or waddle dee. And the ballot does mean quite a bit with K ROOL, RIDLEY AND DAISY all HIGH BALLOT PICKS. And for the smash 4 dlc, Bayonetta was very high, same Roy, Lucas and Mewtwo. And Cloud and Ryu were highly requested.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What fan pics were disconfirmed? Geno wasn't, neither banjo or waddle dee. And the ballot does mean quite a bit with K ROOL, RIDLEY AND DAISY all HIGH BALLOT PICKS. And for the smash 4 dlc, Bayonetta was very high, same Roy, Lucas and Mewtwo. And Cloud and Ryu were highly requested.
All of the Smash 4 DLC came independently of the ballot.

Yeah, we got Echoes for Ballot picks. Meanwhile Piranha Plant is unique. Our wants mattered so much.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Yeah, we got Echoes for Ballot picks. Meanwhile Piranha Plant is unique. Our wants mattered so much.
:ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon: obviously effected by the ballot. How many "ballot picks" Sakurai has to include for fans' egos to be satisfied?

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910

At the end of the day what matters is what the Smash team wants to do. They put a lot of effort into this game and to brush one of there characters of as useless, is kinda not understanding all the work they put into it. They were obviously very passionate when it came to getting P-plant into smash bros, so let them have their fun..... Just this ONCE. They do care. Or they would have NEVER given us back Snake or given us K rool

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
:ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon: obviously effected by the ballot. How many "ballot picks" Sakurai has to include for fans' egos to be satisfied?
Inkling didn’t get in due to the ballot. Simon’s demand wasn’t huge at the time of the ballot, so while a fan-pleasing pick, he’s no more of a ballot character than Cloud or Ryu.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Inkling didn’t get in due to the ballot. Simon’s demand wasn’t huge at the time of the ballot, so while a fan-pleasing pick, he’s no more of a ballot character than Cloud or Ryu.
Jesus, when will you learn that A LOT of people still wanted Belmont and the Inklings in, regardless of the ballot! And are you saying that CLOUD and RYU should have NEVER BEEN in Smash and their spot should nave been given to an obscure character that YOU and very few others want. Hey, I know that some characters aren't OUR first choice, but from my understanding we don't know the process of how LONG, HARD and COSTLY it took to GET these fighters into ULTIMATE.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Jesus, when will you learn that A LOT of people still wanted Belmont and the Inklings in, regardless of the ballot! And are you saying that CLOUD and RYU should have NEVER BEEN in Smash and their spot should nave been given to an obscure character that YOU and very few others want. Hey, I know that some characters aren't OUR first choice, but from my understanding we don't know the process of how LONG, HARD and COSTLY it took to GET these fighters into ULTIMATE.
Yeah, you’re not getting it.

I love Inkling being in Smash, completely deserved, own Splatoon 1, 2 and Octo Expansion, played them to hell.

I love Castlevania. Simon’s inclusion is so awesome, and Richter is a nice cherry on top.

Final Fantasy 7, oh man. To this day, I still get goosebumps when remembering the Aerith scene. That game is a legend, and Cloud is as well. I wish we could have more Final Fantasy content.

And if you need proof that I love Street Fighter, I actually bought SFV (silly me), and Ken was one of the few saving graces of the last Direct.

But let’s not act like the ballot mattered for any one of those selections. Nintendo is infamously out of touch with its fans, and I guess I expected the ballot to kind of fix that.

But, to be honest, given how Ridley probably didn’t do that great on the ballot (as he was a boss in 4) and how Sakurai had commented about his popularity in the past, the only character that definitely, 100% got in due to the ballot is K. Rool. Just one. Maybe two if you want to be generous.

Judd

Smash Rookie
We shouldn't forget that 3 of the returning veterans were highly requested too, namely Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake. This is just my two cents but I really believe Wolf was a Top 5 ballot character and kept for Ultimate

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We shouldn't forget that 3 of the returning veterans were highly requested too, namely Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake. This is just my two cents but I really believe Wolf was a Top 5 ballot character and kept for Ultimate
Yeah, I agree.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Yeah, you’re not getting it.

I love Inkling being in Smash, completely deserved, own Splatoon 1, 2 and Octo Expansion, played them to hell.

I love Castlevania. Simon’s inclusion is so awesome, and Richter is a nice cherry on top.

Final Fantasy 7, oh man. To this day, I still get goosebumps when remembering the Aerith scene. That game is a legend, and Cloud is as well. I wish we could have more Final Fantasy content.

And if you need proof that I love Street Fighter, I actually bought SFV (silly me), and Ken was one of the few saving graces of the last Direct.

But let’s not act like the ballot mattered for any one of those selections. Nintendo is infamously out of touch with its fans, and I guess I expected the ballot to kind of fix that.

But, to be honest, given how Ridley probably didn’t do that great on the ballot (as he was a boss in 4) and how Sakurai had commented about his popularity in the past, the only character that definitely, 100% got in due to the ballot is K. Rool. Just one. Maybe two if you want to be generous.
Yes, Nintendo is out of touch with its fans. BUT, Smash is the greatest EXCEPTION. I remember ARLO talking about how Smash was the one time Nintendo did really care. Nintendo didn't care about what the thought the roster of Mario Kart was (just look at 8's DLC), but they did care what we thought about Smash 4. Hell, they even went to the efforts of making BALLOT to see who we wanted in the next Smash. And the next month or so, Bayonetta pops out onto stage! Then during E3 he puts out RIDLEY, the same character that he said would NEVER get into smash. Nintendo wouldn't care how MUCH we wanted him, BUT Sakurai did, so he did the UNTHINKABLE and got him a letter to get into battlefield! People get hung up 'bout Geno, but can you really blame the devs? They could barley get Final Fantasy music into Smash, better yet a character that Square has NEVER cared about.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The ballot was for cut veterans and K. Rool. Maybe we will see some of the other contenders pop up as DLC... or not.

K. Rool probably demolished the other first party newcomers. Third party ones might have been saved for DLC to make licensing easier.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes, Nintendo is out of touch with its fans. BUT, Smash is the greatest EXCEPTION. I remember ARLO talking about how Smash was the one time Nintendo did really care. Nintendo didn't care about what the thought the roster of Mario Kart was (just look at 8's DLC), but they did care what we thought about Smash 4. Hell, they even went to the efforts of making BALLOT to see who we wanted in the next Smash. And the next month or so, Bayonetta pops out onto stage! Then during E3 he puts out RIDLEY, the same character that he said would NEVER get into smash. Nintendo wouldn't care how MUCH we wanted him, BUT Sakurai did, so he did the UNTHINKABLE and got him a letter to get into battlefield! People get hung up 'bout Geno, but can you really blame the devs? They could barley get Final Fantasy music into Smash, better yet a character that Square has NEVER cared about.
You do know Bayonetta didn’t win the ballot, right? She was decided beforehand.

If you want to avoid comparisons to Mario Kart’s roster, you shouldn’t make Piranha Plant a character.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
You do know Bayonetta didn’t win the ballot, right? She was decided beforehand.

If you want to avoid comparisons to Mario Kart’s roster, you shouldn’t make Piranha Plant a character.
Though Bayo didn't "Win" she was soooooooo requested

Why do you hate P-plant so much!? And he's a BONUS character... they didn't have to make a bonus character at all! He has a unique design, move-set and LIKE SAID BEFORE, the devs obviously put a lot of time and work into this guy, who are you be-little another mans passion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom