• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Sakurai would let down his defenses and allow designs from outside sources, obviously Hyrule Warriors makes for a pretty definitive design for Impa. Otherwise, he mine as well just pick an era, like he did with every other character. Skyward Sword or Ocarina both have loved designs so he could try those.

For a unique moveset, again, look no further than Hyrule Warriors, which gives her a gigantic sword and water abilities, or if Sakurai wanted to be more original, she does wield a spear with some more fire properties to it. She would be interesting being the only spear user (aside from the inevitable Bandana Dee) giving her quite an edge as a character.
We don't know his opinions on spin-offs. He might at least note them as an excuse to have someone playable, but that's about it that we can tell.

As for Zelda importance, I think the lack of any non-trio reps is due to a lack of consistent characters. Midna, Girahim, Zant, Darunia, and the Champions are great, but they show up for one title only (excluding Warriors). There aren’t many Zelda characters that break away from being relegated to just one appearance in mainline titles. With her being in 8 and seemingly still going, I would imagine that Impa has earnedsome level of importance in the series as she is Zelda’s consistent body guard. Having Impa guard Zelda in the world of Smash would make complete sense, even if it isn’t her Zelda. Impa would make for a great addition being important, popular, another female rep, and a Zelda rep that isn’t part of the main trio, so I hope she gets in.
She's one of my many choices(Tingle and Moblin Ganon being the other big ones), I just hope she's more unique. My biggest annoyance was how she was only able to get in as a Sheik clone. If she is one, then it validates the idea that "she could've replace Sheik", which is something I'd rather not have. But my favorite design is also Oracles Impa, so eh.

Also, Ganondorf is Sakurai’s favorite character in Smash, so he’d probably make his debut in Brawl if he didn’t make it in Melee.
This really needs citing. I don't remember this really being a thing to begin with. Just like the "Ganondorf reminds Sakurai of his father" thing people talk about. Sounds more like a misconception again.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I honestly don't think Kirby will get any newcomer for a long time. I think it's fine at 3 for now.
As much as I love and want Bandanna Dee, I do think Sakurai has done right by Kirby generally speaking. If there is a franchise that has been properly represented, Kirby just feels right with kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight, not to mention the prevalence of stages and items.

Still want Bandanna Dee though.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
This really needs citing. I don't remember this really being a thing to begin with. Just like the "Ganondorf reminds Sakurai of his father" thing people talk about. Sounds more like a misconception again.
He literally mains Ganondorf in Brawl

Even Introspecktive talked about it(Warning: Video has uncensored mild swearing)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Here are my personal wants, how do you all feel about them?
I went with wanted characters that I feel actually have a chance of getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He literally mains Ganondorf in Brawl

Even Introspecktive talked about it(Warning: Video has uncensored mild swearing)
This doesn't really tell us "Oh, I'd have added him in Brawl either way." It just tells us he likes playing as Falcondorf. At best, you can gather a good reason he doesn't like changing playstyles of characters, as it might be more his own bias than just not wanting to alienate other fans.

But how does this tell us he'd have added Ganondorf in Brawl if he wasn't in Melee? Especially not the current videos. I mean, he was still a lucky addition regardless.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If we're posting these again;

Smash-Ultimate-YoshiandToad.png

Ashley's a weird one; if her moveset is just debuffs and stat alts she's in my least wanted(although better than the others in there). If she's a summoner that includes the rest of the WarioWare cast in her moveset, she's boosted to most wanted(although less than the others there).

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
She's one of my many choices(Tingle and Moblin Ganon being the other big ones), I just hope she's more unique. My biggest annoyance was how she was only able to get in as a Sheik clone. If she is one, then it validates the idea that "she could've replace Sheik", which is something I'd rather not have. But my favorite design is also Oracles Impa, so eh.
Ummm, Ganon isn't a moblin.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's a Moblin design in the first three games, before having a more General pig design since OOT. It's a way to designate him from his Boar and Puppet design in some games. It's nothing more than an easy term to use. No real difference from Toon Link or Young Link, basically.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Moblins weren't based off of pigs until Link to the Past though, they were bull dogs. Ganon's been pig based since day 1.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ganondorf/Ganon is the main antagonist of the franchise, relevant with the smash hit Twilight Princess, massively popular, and has 3 games worth of content to draw moves from.

I don't say this often, but he's a shoo-in character, melee appearance or not.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He's using confirmed in the context that Vergeben is saying there is a "confirmed" Gen 7 Pokemon, not in the sense that anything Vergeben says is confirmed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, we could have just called Ganon "Ganon" and leave it at that as that's what he'd most likely be called in Smash if he was playable anyway, if it wasn't for the fact that you always get met with smartpants responses such as "buut Ganon is already in Smash!1! lol":ultganondorf:

Hence why people always give him different nicknames such as "Pig Ganon", "Moblin Ganon", "Classic Ganon" etc to distinguish him from Ganondorf and people knowing who they are actually talking about.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I see we're doing this meme again. I've never actually tried my hand at this before - well, I did once, but decided it wasn't worth it halfway through - so let's try this:

smash meme.png

Yeah, my most wanted and least wanted newcomer should both be pretty obvious.

On the topic of Vergeben, he also said the Gen 7 newcomer isn't Mimikyu or Lycanroc, either. While that does make me happy to hear, and I'm not saying Vergeben's 100% credible, I'm not really sure who that leaves outside of Incineroar, Buzzwole, and maybe Type: Null/Silvally?

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Honestly, even before Verg decided to start fishing for attention (because this appears to be a characteristic of his lately--not so much revealing snippets of information as he acquires them so much as revealing one little thing at a time, and teasing us about the rest. At least we got 5-6 characters leaked at a time from Gematsu, and got all but two of them right, and failed to predict four newcomers (he predicted Chrom and Chorus Kids; but failed to predict Rosalina, Robin, Bowser Jr., and Duck Hunt). I'm not counting Dr. Mario, Dark Pit or Lucina there since they were last second additions. In fact, given how bloody identical Dark Pit was, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the very last character added into the base roster.

Edit: Sorry. Lost track of what I was talking about.

Anyways, even before Verg, I thought that if we were to get a Gen 7 representation, it was likely to be Necrozma. Even though Necrozma wasn't exactly the most popular Pokémon in Gen 7, he probably has the most unique gimmick of using light-based attacks, and turning into a dragon as a Final Smash just to nuke the entire competition. If there was any Pokémon rep that can represent the entire generation as effectively as Necrozma, I would like to know who it might be.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Seems these are making the rounds again... so for whatever it's worth, here's mine:

Apologies; had a little fun in the most wanted section.

As for the least wanted newcomers... there are a few characters circulating a great deal of late that I myself am not at all interested in. Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Minecraft Steve are among those but, while I would be personally underwhelmed at their inclusion, I could in the very least be somewhat happy for their fans. All I really care about is preserving the integrity of Smash as a celebration of gaming. I do not mind if the doors are opened to icons largely unrelated to Nintendo in the future, but draw the line at those who hail from entirely different mediums. Much like Mario would have no place in the upcoming Jump Force (itself a celebration of Shounen Jump), characters like Goku, Shrek, and Spiderman have no place being included in Smash.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Seems these are making the rounds again... so for whatever it's worth, here's mine:

Apologies; had a little fun in the most wanted section.

As for the least wanted newcomers... there are a few characters circulating a great deal of late that I myself am not at all interested in. Geno, Bandanna Waddle Dee, and Minecraft Steve are among those but, while I would be personally underwhelmed at their inclusion, I could in the very least be somewhat happy for their fans. All I really care about is preserving the integrity of Smash as a celebration of gaming. I do not mind if the doors are opened to icons largely unrelated to Nintendo in the future, but draw the line at those who hail from entirely different mediums. Much like Mario would have no place in the upcoming Jump Force (itself a celebration of Shounen Jump), characters like Goku, Shrek, and Spiderman have no place being included in Smash.
Was there one person making these? Or did everyone just make there own?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Does anybody think Sakurai will go against Isabelle character who is show heavily to be a pacifist and put her in a fighting game, or will he make her a pacifist fighter

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does anybody think Sakurai will go against Isabelle character who is show heavily to be a pacifist and put her in a fighting game, or will he make her a pacifist fighter
If it was fine for Villager, it's fine for Isabelle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He already treats her as someone who doesn't like fighting in Smash.

She can't really be a "pacifist fighter" either. Best that can happen without being wildly OOC is her thinking it's all fun and games. Things like an accidental fighter goes heavily against her personality, as she wouldn't willingly hurt people, as she'd still know she's doing it. If she thinks she isn't hurting anyone, it would keep her personalty intact. Besides the fun and games bit, she has a good chance to remain an AT as well.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
But Isabelle doesn’t even like to hurt bugs,Villager doesn’t care to much it looks like by knocking bee hives down

He already treats her as someone who doesn't like fighting in Smash.

She can't really be a "pacifist fighter" either. Best that can happen without being wildly OOC is her thinking it's all fun and games. Things like an accidental fighter goes heavily against her personality, as she wouldn't willingly hurt people, as she'd still know she's doing it. If she thinks she isn't hurting anyone, it would keep her personalty intact. Besides the fun and games bit, she has a good chance to remain an AT as well.
OOC?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Out of character. That said, Villager has no canon personality so it doesn't really matter for him if he fights or not anyway. Nor do we exactly know why he was denied in Brawl from getting in. Best we got is "not fighter material". With zero context behind it. Moveset potential, personality, the series being too "innocent/wouldn't really fight", who knows.

Sakurai specifically has her shy away from fighting, so he already has a personality in Smash for her. So it's a matter of making her feel in-character enough before anything else. If he can't really make it work, AT works just fine. As that directly keeps her personality intact.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I dunno, Isabelle can be pretty intimidating at times.
isabelle-should-we-take-this-outside-29898052.png

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Villager is bad enough. I hope time isn't wasted making Isabelle playable. All this furniture moving, tree chopping, bowling ball dropping **** is lame. At least Mr. Resetti would have been able to burrow, but he's still a stretch. Why should a character get in just because you love their game? There are other ways to represent the game. Moveset potential should be a top priority.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Villager is bad enough. I hope time isn't wasted making Isabelle playable. All this furniture moving, tree chopping, bowling ball dropping **** is lame. At least Mr. Resetti would have been able to burrow, but he's still a stretch. Why should a character get in just because you love their game? There are other ways to represent the game. Moveset potential should be a top priority.
Isabelle transcends that IMO. She's basically one of Nintendo's biggest mascots, making her obligatory in my eyes. A terraforming playstyle centered around building structures around the stage is both incredibly fitting for her role in the games and is something we haven't seen before.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Out of character. That said, Villager has no canon personality so it doesn't really matter for him if he fights or not anyway. Nor do we exactly know why he was denied in Brawl from getting in. Best we got is "not fighter material". With zero context behind it. Moveset potential, personality, the series being too "innocent/wouldn't really fight", who knows.

Sakurai specifically has her shy away from fighting, so he already has a personality in Smash for her. So it's a matter of making her feel in-character enough before anything else. If he can't really make it work, AT works just fine. As that directly keeps her personality intact.
I know villager doesn’t have a personality, but it’s still not out of place imo for someone who cuts down trees, fishes, digs, etc. that person would does physical activity to be in good shape, and probably not out of character for that person to take place in some kind of contact sport.

I like to think he couldn’t come up with a good move set. Is to why he wasn’t in brawl

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know villager doesn’t have a personality, but it’s still not out of place imo for someone who cuts down trees, fishes, digs, etc. that person would does physical activity tpbe in good shape, and probably not out of character for that person to take place in some kind of contact sport.

I like to think he couldn’t come up with a good move set.
It means doing none of that goes against an established character. His personality was never canon as is, as he has none. All his taunts/stuff are just expressions from the game that anybody can use. There was no real character to draw from. It was just moveset potential due to what one can do in the series. It's pure creativity due to the gameplay alone, and Villager, being the featureless playable character, was beyond easy to work with once you went that route. He could do all of those moves to begin with.

I think the issue isn't just coming up with a good moveset, it's making it work right. But while the moveset thing is possible, that may not have been the reason specifically. That's the problem with his statement. It's too vague. Maybe he'll be more clear at some point.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
It means doing none of that goes against an established character. His personality was never canon as is, as he has none. All his taunts/stuff are just expressions from the game that anybody can use. There was no real character to draw from. It was just moveset potential due to what one can do in the series. It's pure creativity due to the gameplay alone, and Villager, being the featureless playable character, was beyond easy to work with once you went that route. He could do all of those moves to begin with.

I think the issue isn't just coming up with a good moveset, it's making it work right. But while the moveset thing is possible, that may not have been the reason specifically. That's the problem with his statement. It's too vague. Maybe he'll be more clear at some point.
Well said, good sir, or madden, or bobcat. Or whatever now

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Damn, I was really hoping you were a football videogame series.
I do play a ton of characters via roleplays...

And I do remember a forum game where we made Smash teams for Football, heh.

Anyway, I just want some new information already. Disconfirmations, new items, more new stages, interesting returning ones(I'd love to see Pyrosphere back to completely change how we speculate about "disconfirmations cause stage bosses" etc.)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I do play a ton of characters via roleplays...

And I do remember a forum game where we made Smash teams for Football, heh.

Anyway, I just want some new information already. Disconfirmations, new items, more new stages, interesting returning ones(I'd love to see Pyrosphere back to completely change how we speculate about "disconfirmations cause stage bosses" etc.)
Agreed, Delfino Plaza was the biggest reveal since E3, and the Mii Fighters were really the other single biggest piece of information just in explaining how they work.

I wouldn’t mind as long as we were getting like one piece of solid news a week (Unfortunately, as much as I love the music, tracks aren’t necessarily what I’d qualify as major). But so much of it has been repeated info. I’d take minor things like additional fighter changes not covered in the Direct too.

We just need new information to keep enjoying speculation properly. It’s just harder when they revealed so much stuff up front.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I feel that posting no new information between now and December would be a great way to kill off the hype. We're suffering a severe drought of new information and the biggest news we've had is an accidental reveal of Delfino Plaza. I'm really hoping we get a Direct this month. The lack of any new information from Nintendo, not just Smash, isn't doing them any favors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom