• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Today I learned that this is an actual quote from an actual vidya game that was actually made:

"Die like your father you pin-headed son of an icecream maker!"
-Geese vs Terry

We were robbed if this quote isn't referenced in Smash.
This one's better:

"You got whacked, 'cuz you're weak."
-Magus

They wouldn't do this, but imagine them working that into one of Crono's victory screens. lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah like come on! I can't believe you skipped out on putting Snip and Clip from Snipperclips in Smash! /s
This but unironically.
I do wonder just how many Fighters Pass' were actually sold. It was apparently enough to warrant ANOTHER couple of fighters at least and maybe even a whole nother Fighters Pass. I mean it says a lot when Sakurai mentioned that the budget was running out only to turn around and announce even more characters. It must've sold DAMN well.

I bet the sales of this next pass, if it is a pass, will be the deciding factor of if we get another one. That seems to be the way Bandai-Namco has gone about doing their DLC with Tekken so I won't be surprised.

Speaking of Namco. Who are we thinking is more likely? KOS-MOS or Lloyd? I'm totally down for either.
Obviously Lloyd.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's my thinking on the Namco characters:
  • Heihachi: Mainstream, but potentially tricky to do justice mechanically.
  • Lloyd: Niche, but his series seems to beloved by all who play it. Has to get past the sword haters though.
  • Augumon: Super niche in the gaming scene, but could play to some nostalgia. Would also have a really cool mechanic with the Digivolution stuff.
  • KOS-MOS: Ultra niche. People are more likely to know her now than before due to her appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I still don't see her being added for quite a while.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Speaking of Namco. Who are we thinking is more likely? KOS-MOS or Lloyd? I'm totally down for either.
Both are about on par with each other, though the only real choice would be Bravoman.

Stretchy arms. Stretchy legs. Stretchy neck. Can transform into a submarine. Voiced by Rob Paulson. And you kids thought Springman should be playable. Ain't nobody who's not a fan.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Man I bet the Nintendo social media employees who track all this different stuff have to be laughing their asses off right now at everyone going crazy waiting for November.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man I bet the Nintendo social media employees who track all this different stuff have to be laughing their ***** off right now at everyone going crazy waiting for November.
Then when **** gets too heated they'll have to do everything again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man I bet the Nintendo social media employees who track all this different stuff have to be laughing their ***** off right now at everyone going crazy waiting for November.
You KNOW that they're giving the employee that decided to market Terry more the last few weeks than Pokemon for the last month or so a promotion to **** with us. They're probably gonna make us wait until midnovember too because of LM3 and SwoShi

D

Deleted member

You KNOW that they're giving the employee that decided to market Terry more the last few weeks than Pokemon for the last month or so a promotion to **** with us. They're probably gonna make us wait until midnovember too because of LM3 and SwoShi
Probably.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I do wonder just how many Fighters Pass' were actually sold. It was apparently enough to warrant ANOTHER couple of fighters at least and maybe even a whole nother Fighters Pass. I mean it says a lot when Sakurai mentioned that the budget was running out only to turn around and announce even more characters. It must've sold DAMN well.

I bet the sales of this next pass, if it is a pass, will be the deciding factor of if we get another one. That seems to be the way Bandai-Namco has gone about doing their DLC with Tekken so I won't be surprised.

Team Heihachi for me
I know I'm biased towards him but I do think he's the likeliest Namco character for Smash. People are forgetting he was considered alongside Pac-Man back in Smash 4.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm going to chalk my predictions for Challenger 5 down to these three characters.

Doom Guy - Still thinking he's got a good chance with Bethesda/Pete Hines in talks with Nintendo about Super Smash Bros, the Hugo and Marty interview possibly hinting at his inclusion, the "More surprises for Nintendo fans" statement Pete Hines said and we still don't know what "video game" the Doom composer was hiring for so these are the best pieces of evidence for him. The only downside is that no leakers are backing him but that could also be a good thing since Joker and Terry were not backed up either.

Then there are Dante and Lloyd who I'm not as knowledgeable about other than the series director of Devil May Cry saying Dante would only join if he was on a Nintendo console and that save icon for Lloyd.

Also here's a shot in the dark that'll almost certainly miss but maybe with the character below, it could be a hit.

Daniel Fortesque - I don't know why but maybe after seeing Microsoft get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros, Sony would like a character to appear in Smash Bros too? I have nothing for the guy but he would be pretty amazing to have and it would be awesome to hear the announcer say my first name.

I’m still kind of salty Decidueye didn’t get in, but also time for another FUN GAME SHOW WITH YOUR HOST PLANK!: Retrospective time! What’s your favorite part about smash bros as a whole? Mines has to be the crossover part, seeing all the fighter spirits and the different art styles and franchises all together is so awesome to me.
Gotta be the crossovers. I don't know who would say anything else.

I'm also still salty about Incineroar getting in over Decidueye.

Ornl

Smash Ace
I think Heihachi is more missing in the representation of fighting games (Ryu, Terry, Akira Yuki) than Lloyd or KOS-MOS is missing in the representation of JRPG. He's tekken to me.

Edink

Smash Cadet
I dunno about you guys but I'm still thinking a Capcom rep is the most possible FP5, and that being said... Can anyone explain to me what's the deal with that Jill rumour and how credible it is?

It seems so odd to me given the circumstances.
Jill is like what I expect to be the next big RE game/remake and, yeah, the movies are **** but Jill was like the big face for the franchise for a long time thanks in part for the movies (At least where I live).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Alright, here is a topic that I rarely ever see come up but I think will be very interesting to talk about. Most discussion pertaining to Smash Bros. pertains to the content (current and prospective) in regards to the roster. However, Smash Bros. is more than just the roster, much more. There is a lot of content out there in the games, that while not part of the roster, can still absolutely make fans of the the character or game smile.

Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, Songs, Stages, Spirits/Trophies/Stickers. There are lots of ways for something/someone to be included in Smash Bros. However, we rarely ever hear about being glad something was included in a form outside of the roster. I think this could be a very interesting topic as I am sure there are quite a few things we like that we are personally glad got a nod at all.

I will start off, by giving examples throughout the Smash Bros. series of things that I personally greatly appreciated in terms of content that were outside the roster of their respective games.

Smash 64:

For the original installment, it was novel just seeing all of Nintendo's biggest icons together in a single game. Its roster only had 12 fighters, and 9 selectable stages. However, there was still a few bits of content that gave out non-playable content to some critical major characters from some of the major franchises represented in Smash 64. Most of these were Pokemon (Pokeball Pokemon, the stage hazard Pokemon in Saffron City, the background Pokemon in Saffron City, and the ones appearing in Pikachu's ending screen), but a few other titles got enemies or notable characters from their franchises to have shoutouts. EarthBound/Mother had the most profound with the rest of the playable cast to Mother 2/EarthBound appearing in Ness's ending screen along with two members of the Runaway Five, Mr. Saturn, Frankystein, and Octobot.

However, most of the shoutouts were limited to background appearances to the nine selectable stages. These were usually of generic enemies (Koopa Troopas, Buzzy Beetle, Piranha Plant as a stage hazard, Lakitu, Shy Guys, Kirby's Bronto Burt, and DKC's Necky), but two series critical characters also received a shoutout through this method. They were King Dedede and Ridley.

For the latter, I remember being absolutely ecstatic seeing that Ridley had made a cameo in what was becoming one of my favorite games for the Nintendo 64. I had long hoped for a Metroid game for the Nintendo 64, and Samus being a part on the Smash roster was an incredible miracle to me especially when the series was dormant at the time for five years and there was no announcements at all about a new game in the series being in development. Samus and Ridley being my two favorite things from the Metroid series, it was nice to see both of them have some sort of appearance in Smash Bros. I would literally just play and pause on Planet Zebes as Samus and daydream that it was a new Metroid title.

It was also seeing Ridley in the background to Smash 64 that got me to daydream about the possibility of him someday becoming a fighter in Smash Bros. There was actually a part of me that thought the next title in the series would involve adding the main antagonist/rival for each of the franchises represented in Smash Bros., since the most obvious additions for many of them seemed to be villains/rivals such as Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wolf, etc. However, I considered it miraculous enough that Samus managed to make it onto the roster of 12, and that if her slot could have easily gone to Wario (of which three Wario Land games had already been released by the time Smash 64 was made).

Ridley's cameo in Smash 64 was the sprinkles to the masterpiece cake (well at the time it was to me) that was Smash 64. Not a necessary part of the game/cake, but definitely something that made it stand out more to me personally.

Melee:

As I said in a previous post, Melee massively expanded upon everything that made Smash 64 great. Moreover, it actually seemed to celebrate Nintendo as whole. Melee is probably the only game in the Smash Bros. series where I actually enjoyed collecting and viewing the trophies because it gave a 3D model to many characters who at the time did not have one. Melee was the first time seeing characters like Ridley, Dixie Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, and many others in 3D, and having freedom to view the model from different angles and lighting. This was a big deal for many Nintendo fans that had grown up with a NES/SNES and were disappointed that many of their favorite characters did not make the jump to 3D with the Nintendo 64.

The trophy system in Melee was something I enjoyed than most of the new additions to the roster. I now had a game where almost all of my favorite Nintendo characters were now given a reference in a single title. On that note, I do want say I actually remember being a bit disappointed when the trophy list came out and there was two absences that seemed peculiar to me. One which was Diddy Kong, which was very bizarre considering how both Dixie Kong and K. Rool received trophies, and Diddy Kong himself being one of the most highly requested newcomers for Melee. Even to this day, people remark how bizarre that absence was. The other was the Pico not being a part of F-Zero's trophies. All of the classic pilots except him (Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Dr. Stewart) had been given trophies (along with Jody Summer who was given the most focus of all the new pilots F-Zero X introduced), but Pico somehow did not get one. I was probably one of the few disappointed on this though.

However aside from that minor quibble, the rest of the trophy selection was absolutely incredible. I was extremely thankful to have a virtual museum for all of my favorite Nintendo franchises, and to see several of my favorite characters in 3D for the first time. The Ridley model in particular was something I spent a lot of time viewing. The level of detail attached to it, made me think at the time that perhaps Ridley was considered for a fighter, but they simply did not have the time nor did he have the priority (the likes of Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede had not been added either). I daydreamed not just about Ridley being a fighter in Smash Bros., but also the day a 3D Metroid game finally would be made, and the trophies for Ridley, Metroid, and Kraid definitely wet my appetite for the upcoming GameCube title.

On that last one, aside from the trophy system, the other non-playable role surprise for me was Brinstar Depths. It actually was one of the things I was most hyped about in regards to Melee's hidden content. It was really nice to have a stage literally and figuratively revolve around one of Metroid's most iconic bosses. It also captured the moody atmospheric feel of the Metroid series that I did not think Planet Zebes or Brinstar had (a lot of this was thanks to Brinstar Depth's lighting and music track). Being able to see Kraid in 3D for the first time was really hype inducing. Funny enough, this ended up being his only 3D appearance.

Brawl:

Nothing in particular stood out from Brawl to me in terms of non-playable content, aside from liking that a lot of of the new stages borrowing more closely to particular titles in their respective series. I did like they Norfair was brought in as a location, as that was Ridley's stomping grounds in several titles to the Metroid series, and at the time it was confirmed it actually gave me hope Ridley would be playable in that title.

I did like that Brawl did include Pico as a trophy, but in general, I did not enjoy the trophy system as much as I did for Melee for two reasons. One is that the novelty of seeing many characters in 3D for the first time wore off, and secondly was that most of the trophies seemed to be direct model rips from particular GameCube and Wii titles.

I did not care much for the sticker system either, and I was disappointed you could not zoom in on them, or view them individually.

I did really like the massive song selection in Brawl. It was absolutely massive, I was surprised by just how much was included.

Smash 4 3DS:

As I have said a few times before, I never owned Smash 4 Wii U since I never owned a Wii U. However, there are two things from Smash 3DS that really made me smile in terms of non-roster content.

One was the inclusion of a stage based off of Balloon Fight. Balloon Fight is probably my favorite early NES title (titles released prior to Super Mario Bros.), and in general such a fun and underrated game. A part of me was hoping it would someday get some sort of major notice in Smash Bros. (the most conventional belief would be through a fighter since Ice Climbers, Pit, and ROB were all added). However, as a fan of Balloon Fight, I can say I am extremely happy with simply a stage representing this fun little title. It receiving a stage was one of the biggest pleasant surprises to me in regards to Smash 4 in general, and I was quite happy to see it in 3DS version to Smash 4 (which was the only version I ever got since I only owned a 3DS).

In general, I really liked the stage selection for a lot of the Smash 4 3DS stages. Gerudo Valley was something I had suggested as an idea back even before Brawl's announcement (though its implementation was a lot different than what I had in mind). Other standouts to me was the stage based of the SNES F-Zero and Magicant. I also felt Rainbow Road was the most fitting stage to represent the Mario Kart franchise as a whole (its peculiar why it did not come back for Ultimate).

Aside from stages, I really liked roster of Smash Run enemies. I was really happy they actually went with enemies from various Nintendo franchises instead of more of the bizarre kind of enemies found in the Subspace Emissary. It was a really nice selection and many of Nintendo's franchises got a nice shoutout.

Ultimate:

As I said before, personally, I liked the spirit system as it gives almost every single significant or notable thing from all of Nintendo's franchises some sort of shoutout. Leif from Fire Emblem (the only piece of Thracia 776 content in Ultimate, FE5 is actually the only FE title that is not a remake not to have any sort of song in Ultimate) , getting a spirit battle was really nice, as that is one of my favorite games in the whole series and Leif one of my favorite lords. In general, I was really surprised how comprehensive the list of spirits is, and there are very few notable absences in general.

I was happy that a remix of Lower Norfair finally ended up being part of the track list for the Metroid series (and just in time for Ridley's playable debut). In general, I really loved many of the remixes made for the Castlevania and Mega Man series (Cross Your Heart and Snake Man in particular are breathtaking). The music selection amazed me even more than Brawl's, and that is saying something.

The new Mii Costumes were another thing that was pleasantly surprised about. I really liked how many of Nintendo's minor franchises (Panel de Pon, Golden Sun, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo), many of which have been on hiatus for a long time, got a nice consolation prize shoutout in the form of Mii costumes of their series' icons. While those series going into hiatus meant they probably would not have been up for roster consideration even if the base game had more newcomer slots available, it was really nice of Sakurai and his team to acknowledge that those series are a part of Nintendo history and give them some sort of playable status in the game even if its Mii's role-playing as them.

Perhaps the biggest pleasant surprise for me though was something that I was probably the only person to feel quite a bit of hype in regards to its inclusion. A distant hope of mine in regards to Smash Bros. was that Pico would get some sort of notable role in Smash Bros. beyond being a trophy/spirit/sticker. However, with F-Zero being in hiatus for well over a decade, and Pico having non-existent popularity, I strongly doubted it would ever happen.

I never could have imagined outright sort of controlling him within Smash Bros. Using his spirit to activate the Wild Goose, was something that made Ultimate even more special to me, and was one of the stand out moments for me personally when playing through World of Light. It easily could have been Jody Summer (who was a trophy in Melee over him) or any other of the F-Zero characters included as spirits, but it somehow ended up being Pico. I never ever could have imagined controlling the Wild Goose in a Smash Bros. title, and this easily made up for disappointment I had with the him not having a trophy in Melee several times over.

Many characters will never have the "credentials" or right situation to make the roster, and I understood that for Pico, however, I still wanted something for a character whom was my personal favorite for one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. Pico's role in the World of Light may not have been on the level of an Assist Trophy or Mii Costume role, but it was still something that fulfilled what I was hoping for but thought most likely would never happen.

Closing thoughts:

As can be seen, while the roster is often what most discussion and speculation for Smash Bros. is driven for, there is still a lot of content that is outside of the roster that can also please fans of those particular games and characters. With Smash 64 it began with Ridley's background cameo, and now with Ultimate it is cruising in the Wild Goose. Some of the widest smiles I had in regards to Smash content were small touches like that to which I was not expecting at all.

For some of us, there are characters and games we love that simply will never make the roster (they either are too obscure and/or have little popularity), so seeing a notable sort of acknowledgement for them is just as pleasing as a personal favorite getting a spot on the roster.

I am not sure if anyone else has also experienced something similar to me where they were massively pleased with some sort of non-roster content, but I would like to hear from others on this topic as I am sure there at least a few others that have had similar experiences, and I am curious to see whom their "Pico's" are.

Thank you for your time in reading this short piece. I hope those that bothered to read it got at least a little enjoyment or amusement out of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to chalk my predictions for Challenger 5 down to these three characters.

Doom Guy - Still thinking he's got a good chance with Bethesda/Pete Hines in talks with Nintendo about Super Smash Bros, the Hugo and Marty interview possibly hinting at his inclusion, the "More surprises for Nintendo fans" statement Pete Hines said and we still don't know what "video game" the Doom composer was hiring for so these are the best pieces of evidence for him. The only downside is that no leakers are backing him but that could also be a good thing since Joker and Terry were not backed up either.

Then there are Dante and Lloyd who I'm not as knowledgeable about other than the series director of Devil May Cry saying Dante would only join if he was on a Nintendo console and that save icon for Lloyd.

Also here's a shot in the dark that'll almost certainly miss but maybe with the character below, it could be a hit.

Daniel Fortesque - I don't know why but maybe after seeing Microsoft get Banjo & Kazooie into Smash Bros, Sony would like a character to appear in Smash Bros too? I have nothing for the guy but he would be pretty amazing to have and it would be awesome to hear the announcer say my first name.

Gotta be the crossovers. I don't know who would say anything else.

I'm also still salty about Incineroar getting in over Decidueye.
Good set, though I'd believe they would be rather better off for Season 2.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anyone from Sony is to get in. Kratos (Maybe even with Atreus), Sackboy and Nathan Drake are the three most likely.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OMG if Sony gets a character in I'd LOVE to see Ratchet & Clank!! Kratos and R&C are the only PS2 era series still running, and R&C have the honor of thriving in a time when 3D platformers were dying out due to shooters. And seeing those weapons of mass destruction translated into Smash would really be cool.

D

Deleted member

If anyone from Sony is to get in. Kratos (Maybe even with Atreus), Sackboy and Nathan Drake are the three most likely.
It's like sending a message.

Nintendo: We'll just let you guys have your characters for the biggest crossover ever!

Sony: No! We are making Playstation All Stars 2! You can't let us give them to you so easily!

Nintendo: Sit back and watch a pro at work.

D

Deleted member

I'll refrain from answering this question since I don't feel like I know enough about this.

Nope. No knowledge at all.
Man, if only some kid with too much free time could draft a research paper to settle who are Namco character could be.

.Speaking of Namco. Who are we thinking is more likely? KOS-MOS or Lloyd? I'm totally down for either.
My heart says Digimon, but my brain says I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo slips up Capcom copyright:

Please be sexy demonic shotoclone succubus.

Nintendo slips up Bamco copyright:

Please be interstellar space weapon cyborg lady.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo slips up LucasArts trademark:

Please make Smash get the curse of Monkey Island.

SKX31

Smash Master
Nintendo slips up LucasArts trademark:

Please make Smash get the curse of Monkey Island.
Nah, it'd obviously be Darth Vader.

On a different note:

Nintendo slips up EA trademark:

*The entire Smash fanbase stares blankly at each other, then at the two companies, for what feels like an eternity.*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah, it'd obviously be Darth Vader.

On a different note:

Nintendo slips up EA trademark:

*The entire Smash fanbase stares blankly at each other, then at the two companies, for what feels like an eternity.*
We’d get Bella Goth from The Sims AND YOU WILL LIKE IT. :secretkpop:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
God of War, Little Big Planet and Uncharted are some of Sony's biggest titles and I'm not sure if they would give them to Nintendo so willingly, especially with them being a competitor and having a similar level of pride to Nintendo. I'd imagine Sony would give Nintendo one of their dormant franchises, something they don't see as profitable like Ape Escape, Parappa the Rapper or Tomba so Sony can still make a small profit but not help Nintendo out too much.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
God of War, Little Big Planet and Uncharted are some of Sony's biggest titles and I'm not sure if they would give them to Nintendo so willingly, especially with them being a competitor and having a similar level of pride to Nintendo. I'd imagine Sony would give Nintendo one of their dormant franchises, something they don't see as profitable like Ape Escape, Parappa the Rapper or Tomba so Sony can still make a small profit but not help Nintendo out too much.
GIVE THEM GRAVITY RUSH

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On the matter of content outside of characters in SSBU, I'm expecting ver. 6.0 to possibly adding Very Hard difficulty to World of Light (we got Very Easy with ver. 4.0). In addition to that, it'd be crazy if for ver. 7.0 (5th DLC fighter release) Sakurai actually included one more game mode; it being one of the OG modes; either board the platforms (each character having their own), or break the targets. Saying this now, if DLC #5 were to be DOOM Slayer, I could actually see a Break the Targets mode being added. Then again, ver. 7.0 (or 6.0 even) could end up adding the mode that was speculated a few months ago of an online beat-em up mode.

D

Deleted member

Been checking Smash Twitter lately and everyone's calling dibs on Doom Slayer.

Y'all know who's getting ticked.

D

Deleted member

Better yet. Character 5 will be none other than the one.

The only.

Cyril Fire Emblem. Who manages to piss off every possible person
*chuckles*

Though we here at the Smashboards Speculation team say, "We're all in the dark, don't jump to conclusions".

Plank08

Smash Lord
I CAN DREAM OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom