• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Whoa, hold up there, chief. You're gonna have to really sell me on why Agumon would come before KOS-MOS. I've said it before, but I honestly do not understand the argument for him. And I don't hate the character either (I was huge into Digimon as a kid and I for some reason even still have the digivice toys). But why would a character like Agumon, mostly known for anime and toys, and who is also in two Digimon Smash Bros. knock-offs (Rumble Arena 1 and 2) be in before KOS-MOS, who is frequently in crossovers and actually known for video games?
I do think that Agumon wouldn't be in Smash because Digimon is better known as anime than as a game series, but KOS-MOS isn't really known for her games either. If it's known for something else vs. unknown I still think Sakurai would go for the known character.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Whoa, hold up there, chief. You're gonna have to really sell me on why Agumon would come before KOS-MOS. I've said it before, but I honestly do not understand the argument for him. And I don't hate the character either (I was huge into Digimon as a kid and I for some reason even still have the digivice toys). But why would a character like Agumon, mostly known for anime and toys, and who is also in two Digimon Smash Bros. knock-offs (Rumble Arena 1 and 2) be in before KOS-MOS, who is frequently in crossovers and actually known for video games?
Now, that might sound ridiculously strange, but I believe that out of Bandai-Namco's candidates it would be Agumon who is the likeliest candidate mostly because of just how much bigger he is than basically anybody else Bamco has. Like, even bigger than Tekken. His sales records franchise-wise don't lie. And the guy actually had quite a bit more Smash support than I thought. Not to mention he represents something new, as well as that whole "Pikachu rival" angle that is basically a pretty big deal. And if Rumble Arena is meant for a "no-competition clause", well it's a good thing they came out ages ago and haven't seen a rerelease.

(Plus, Pokémon is also way more known for the anime and TGC among non-fans, though sales of the games are second only to the merchandise. And Pokémon is first party.)

KOS-MOS, on the other hand, I had hardly seen get requested for Smash Bros. She has a fanbase, and it's not nonexistant, but going around the block her name doesn't come up very often. Xenosaga's impact isn't very high when you put it next to Digimon in general, either, and while I hate to pull out the dead series card, from my understanding her home series hasn't seen an entry since 2006. Meaning she mostly survives on crossovers, kinda like Morrigan. So, besides the "she's in everything" angle, KOS-MOS doesn't have a pretty big claim to it to me.

I don't even care about Agumon personally, the only Bamco rep I do is Lloyd. But the way I see it, Agumon is the likeliest. Is he a shoo-in? No. Will he be the first? Not necessarily, but I believe he will unless Sakurai has something to say on the matter.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I do think that Agumon wouldn't be in Smash because Digimon is better known as anime than as a game series, but KOS-MOS isn't really known for her games either. If it's known for something else vs. unknown I still think Sakurai would go for the known character.
Honestly, you're not being fair to KOS-MOS when you say she isn't well known. Tons of crossover appearances, Symbol of everything xeno (Monolith Soft had her on the front cover of their 20th anniversary artwork), she was in Xenoblade 2 and was used as a marketing tool for the game. I remember tons freaking out on forums such as resetera or things like twitter that she was in the game so that's successful whether you like it or not. Furthermore, in the latest Sakurai column he admitted he does play everything and I am pretty sure he must have known about KOS-MOS before he started working with Bamco on smash. The guy said he owns tons of playstations after all and while Xenosaga episode I and III were probably only the good games... it changes things now. She doesn't need to be well known as INSERT X character here. Her reason for smash would be through Monolith Soft and Namco's amazing relationship and I have provided tons of reasoning in various posts on how much they LOVE KOS-MOS. Sakurai literally works at Namco and probably owns one of the crazy tons of KOS-MOS figurines that exist and he knows that she was in Xenoblade 2.

If Smash 4 stuff still stands then he already commented that Heihachi's playstyle is tough to imitate in smash and he said Lloyd would be the only tales character he would pick. I feel like Sakurai and Nintendo would pick KOS-MOS for her unique playstyle alone as it seems very easy to make a moveset with her plus it could push a Xenosaga HD which Harada has been trying to greenlight for years now. As for Lloyd, the datamined symbol or whatever Sabi talked about looks nothing like a smash symbol so I dont think Namco will pick him.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
A day passes and the fandom manages to find another character to latch onto and deem "likely" and expected

Can we just get the 5th character leaked already

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Now, that might sound ridiculously strange, but I believe that out of Bandai-Namco's candidates it would be Agumon who is the likeliest candidate mostly because of just how much bigger he is than basically anybody else Bamco has. Like, even bigger than Tekken. His sales records franchise-wise don't lie. And the guy actually had quite a bit more Smash support than I thought. Not to mention he represents something new, as well as that whole "Pikachu rival" angle that is basically a pretty big deal. And if Rumble Arena is meant for a "no-competition clause", well it's a good thing they came out ages ago and haven't seen a rerelease.

(Plus, Pokémon is also way more known for the anime and TGC among non-fans, though sales of the games are second only to the merchandise. And Pokémon is first party.)

KOS-MOS, on the other hand, I had hardly seen get requested for Smash Bros. She has a fanbase, and it's not nonexistant, but going around the block her name doesn't come up very often. Xenosaga's impact isn't very high when you put it next to Digimon in general, either, and while I hate to pull out the dead series card, from my understanding her home series hasn't seen an entry since 2006. Meaning she mostly survives on crossovers, kinda like Morrigan. So, besides the "she's in everything" angle, KOS-MOS doesn't have a pretty big claim to it to me.

I don't even care about Agumon personally, the only Bamco rep I do is Lloyd. But the way I see it, Agumon is the likeliest. Is he a shoo-in? No. Will he be the first? Not necessarily, but I believe he will unless Sakurai has something to say on the matter.
Well, yeah Digimon is huge--it's a multimedia franchise. Tekken doesn't have 5+ seasons of anime, movies, a TCG, and accompanying toys. I mean, if you're rooting for Agumon, why not root for Kite from the .hack franchise? I think the DLC choices run a bit deeper than "series that have made a lot of money".

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Well, yeah Digimon is huge--it's a multimedia franchise. Tekken doesn't have 5+ seasons of anime, movies, a TCG, and accompanying toys. I mean, if you're rooting for Agumon, why not root for Kite from the .hack franchise? I think the DLC choices run a bit deeper than "series that have made a lot of money".
.hack started off as an Anime series so it’s ruled out in the same way Goku is. As I’ve said before, Digimon can represent the virtual pet/tamagotchi devices which were very popular in the 90s while also providing another classic duel via Pokémon vs Digimon. I have to agree with Ridrool that Agumon and Lloyd are the most likely Bandai reps that will get added due to their series popularity and influence on the gaming history as a whole.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly, you're not being fair to KOS-MOS when you say she isn't well known. Tons of crossover appearances, Symbol of everything xeno (Monolith Soft had her on the front cover of their 20th anniversary artwork), she was in Xenoblade 2 and was used as a marketing tool for the game. I remember tons freaking out on forums such as resetera or things like twitter that she was in the game so that's successful whether you like it or not. Furthermore, in the latest Sakurai column he admitted he does play everything and I am pretty sure he must have known about KOS-MOS before he started working with Bamco on smash. The guy said he owns tons of playstations after all and while Xenosaga episode I and III were probably only the good games... it changes things now. She doesn't need to be well known as INSERT X character here. Her reason for smash would be through Monolith Soft and Namco's amazing relationship and I have provided tons of reasoning in various posts on how much they LOVE KOS-MOS. Sakurai literally works at Namco and probably owns one of the crazy tons of KOS-MOS figurines that exist and he knows that she was in Xenoblade 2.

If Smash 4 stuff still stands then he already commented that Heihachi's playstyle is tough to imitate in smash and he said Lloyd would be the only tales character he would pick. I feel like Sakurai and Nintendo would pick KOS-MOS for her unique playstyle alone as it seems very easy to make a moveset with her plus it could push a Xenosaga HD which Harada has been trying to greenlight for years now. As for Lloyd, the datamined symbol or whatever Sabi talked about looks nothing like a smash symbol so I dont think Namco will pick him.
From what I know, aside from Xenoblade 2, her other appearances are limited to the extremely obscure Super Robot Wars and the very niche Project X Zone. I hardly think I'm overstating how obscure she is.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
.hack started off as an Anime series so it’s ruled out in the same way Goku is. As I’ve said before, Digimon can represent the virtual pet/tamagotchi devices which were very popular in the 90s while also providing another classic duel via Pokémon vs Digimon. I have to agree with Ridrool that Agumon and Lloyd are the most likely Bandai reps that will get added due to their series popularity and influence on the gaming history as a whole.
The anime was released 2 months before the PS2 games and the anime didn't even have Kite in it. Regardless, I don't buy into the necessity of "genre-repping" and I feel like that's something the Smash fanbase made up. Smash doesn't "need" a virtual pet rep, it doesn't "need" an FPS rep; these are all just things that fans feel like should happen. Not to mention, when people think of virtual pets, they think of Tamagotchis and the fact that you referred to them as "virtual pet/tamagotchi devices" speaks to that.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Watch it be someone no one is talking about.
I'm 90% certain it will be

The fanbase has this humongous problem with overblowing the expectations of characters and in the end majority of them end up not in the game. As I've said before, if the SNK copyrights hadnt leaked, it would've been a lesson to stop expecting "the expected"

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet

I don't think Nintendo would like to popularize a direct competitor of Pokemon.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
it's gonna be kunio-kun from river city ransom, clearly

"barf!" will be a soundclip when they get hit in one of their palettes

D

Deleted member

I'm 90% certain it will be

The fanbase has this humongous problem with overblowing the expectations of characters and in the end majority of them end up not in the game. As I've said before, if the SNK copyrights hadnt leaked, it would've been a lesson to stop expecting "the expected"
"Y'all asking for x character? Here's Neptune instead!"

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
The anime was released 2 months before the PS2 games and the anime didn't even have Kite in it. Regardless, I don't buy into the necessity of "genre-repping" and I feel like that's something the Smash fanbase made up. Smash doesn't "need" a virtual pet rep, it doesn't "need" an FPS rep; these are all just things that fans feel like should happen. Not to mention, when people think of virtual pets, they think of Tamagotchis and the fact that you referred to them as "virtual pet/tamagotchi devices" speaks to that.
Yes, it was quite a close release schedule but the point still stands. Genre-repping is something made up by the Smash community but it’s also a good portion of how we justify characters being added to the roster and is no different then representing their respective series. Smash doesn’t need any 3rd party representatives since it was suppose to be a Nintendo brawl, not a video game celebration. I also brought up tamagotchi because I am essentially repeating myself since my last reply to you mentioning the same thing and just didn’t want to repeat it too closely lol. Plenty of people think about Digimon when discussing virtual pets too since that’s their origin.

And thag my friend, is the most probable choice Sakurai would go for.

That mysterious new character be like:

WOW, MAGIC
Introducing:
The Blob from A Boy and his Blob!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, it was quite a close release schedule but the point still stands. Genre-repping is something made up by the Smash community but it’s also a good portion of how we justify characters being added to the roster and is no different then representing their respective series. Smash doesn’t need any 3rd party representatives since it was suppose to be a Nintendo brawl, not a video game celebration. I also brought up tamagotchi because I am essentially repeating myself since my last reply to you mentioning the same thing and just didn’t want to repeat it too closely lol. Plenty of people think about Digimon when discussing virtual pets too since that’s their origin.
Probably genre repping is one of the biggest myths of the Smash speculation story. Bet we all know that Sakurai is the kind of person who'd wedge stuff from out of thin air.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I don't think Nintendo would like to popularize a direct competitor of Pokemon.
Kinda weird, considering that they also promoted not one, not two, but three games that weren't on Nintendo consoles in every game they featured third parties. Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy VII, and Persona 5. It's pretty unlikely that the first and last of those will come to Switch, either. Also, they let in Banjo.

All four of those have something to do with direct competitors of Nintendo themselves. The first three with Sony (all of those games launched as Sony exclusives, only FFVII isn't anymore last I know of), and the latter with Microsoft. So, I don't think they or Sakurai care about that very much.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
"Y'all asking for x character? Here's Neptune instead!"
1572050545234.png
I think this is just gonna come down to "agree to disagree". I believe that Digimon didn't have that much impact on games as a whole and influenced anime more. But you know what? I'll make an account suicide bet--if Agumon is in the game, I'll delete my account.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly, you're not being fair to KOS-MOS when you say she isn't well known.
He absolutely is.

She's basically Isaac, if Isaac didn't have regular Smash appearances reminding people he exists.

Tons of crossover appearances
Except the things she crosses over with tend to be as obscure or more than the already obscure thing she's from.

it's gonna be kunio-kun from river city ransom, clearly
I love you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She's basically Isaac, if Isaac didn't have regular Smash appearances reminding people he exists
Perhaps the same could be said of Morrigan. Thing is, Isaac doesn't get enough crossover love. KOS MOS and Morrigan, on the other hand...

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Kinda weird, considering that they also promoted not one, not two, but three games that weren't on Nintendo consoles in every game they featured third parties. Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy VII, and Persona 5. It's pretty unlikely that the first and last of those will come to Switch, either. Also, they let in Banjo.

All four of those have something to do with direct competitors of Nintendo themselves. The first three with Sony (all of those games launched as Sony exclusives, only FFVII isn't anymore last I know of), and the latter with Microsoft. So, I don't think they or Sakurai care about that very much.
Don’t forget that that Sakurai told people to play Banjo & Kazooie on Xbox so competition doesn’t really matter IMO.

I think this is just gonna come down to "agree to disagree". I believe that Digimon didn't have that much impact on games as a whole and influenced anime more. But you know what? I'll make an account suicide bet--if Agumon is in the game, I'll delete my account.
Agreeing to disagree seems appropriate since I’m on the other end of the spectrum in thinking that Digimon had more influence in gaming and believe the anime was rather lackluster (outside of the first season) and purely was used as a catalyst to sell more video games, cards, and toys hence why the budget and animation quality was so low.

No reason to go to such drastic measures to stand by your opinion though, no one is asking for any such thing. Part of the reason forums exist is to discuss and we just have varying ideas on the relevance of one IP.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Agreeing to disagree seems appropriate since I’m on the other end of the spectrum in thinking that Digimon had more influence in gaming and believe the anime was rather lackluster (outside of the first season) and purely was used as a catalyst to sell more video games, cards, and toys hence why the budget and animation quality was so low.
Season 3 (Tamers) is generally held in high regard. Then again, Season 3 also gets pretty dark relative to the rest of the series by the end. (the main villain is fueled by the depression of a young child, among other things)

D

Deleted member

Season 3 (Tamers) is generally held in high regard. Then again, Season 3 also gets pretty dark relative to the rest of the series by the end. (the main villain is fueled by the depression of a young child, among other things)
Aww, Tamers was cool!

That honestly set the highest standard out of any Digimon series PERIOD imo.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I don't even care about fighter 5 anymore... I want to know what fighter #6 and onward is going to be like. My guess is a mix of 1st and 3rd party, my wish is that but with a "Super Bash Sisters" theme. Somewhere down the line, I think we'll get echoes thrown in for free (as promo bonuses) or at a discount. Maybe after that, we'll get some music and/or stage DLC sprinkled in.

Good morning everyone.

Also 18 EVERYBODY! (yeah, it's my birthday)
Maligayang Kaarawan.

My birthday is on October 28th.
Uh, close enough, so happy (early) birthday. :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Digimon as a multimedia franchise leans heavily on the anime and related media more than games or virtual pets, and frankly I find the games a bit lackluster due to a mix of repetitive gameplay and grinding but to each its own. Main thing going for Digimon is size as a franchise overall but size isn't everything and many other Bamco franchises have bigger legacies within the gaming industry, which I believe gives them the edge.

I really don't want to think of KOS-MOS as a possibility, kinda given up her and don't want to have hope as she is pretty cool. She would be nice just to pretty much break a lot of the remaining rules on speculation and be able to open discussions a lot.

D

Deleted member

see upper reply for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Although a little of it is nostalgia, Digimon Rumble Arenas 1 and 2 are decent fighters. Renamon in the former was so cool. Imagine a character that can jump off a cliff and then switch places with the opponent right before falling: she could do that. She could also teleport you into one of her attacks lol. And she still wasn't even the most broken thing in that game.

Agumon would be fun, too. And Digimon vs. Pokemon is what childhood dreams are made of.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it would be hilarious if it was Heavy, also, who even IS Kosmos? What makes her so special?
Cyborg weapon master woman. Who fights aliens. Think Alisa from Tekken.

I don't even care about fighter 5 anymore... I want to know what fighter #6 and onward is going to be like. My guess is a mix of 1st and 3rd party, my wish is that but with a "Super Bash Sisters" theme. Somewhere down the line, I think we'll get echoes thrown in for free (as promo bonuses) or at a discount. Maybe after that, we'll get some music and/or stage DLC sprinkled in.

Maligayang Kaarawan.

Uh, close enough, so happy (early) birthday. :D
Thanks for the native language greeting.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I agree I couldn't care less about FP5 as I'm way more interested in post-FP DLC as I have a few questions I would like to know the answer to such as;

A) Will it continue the trend of the original FP?
B) Will we get Spirit/Assist Upgrades?
C) Will we get First Parties?

I'm very interested in the post-FP DLC rather than the FP DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom