• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Can someone catch me up on this 4Chan thing?
In early June (before E3) a post was made on /v/ that stated "brave" was Hero with a Bowser Jr. type situation, the next character was "buddy" and likely Banjo, coming at E3. This was true. The post had a cat picture.
On September 12th, a post with the same picture was made, saying #5 is KOS-MOS, and Reimu and Ryu were in development.

There are two possibilities.
1. This is the same person and they have or had info. I don't think someone guessed banjo's internal codename, the first post was very likely a real leak. The second post is a real leak too then.
2. The second post is fake and is just piggybacking off the first post. PapaGenos made a video about the first leak a week before the second post so they are very likely not the same person and this is just a case of piggybacking.

D

Deleted member

In early June (before E3) a post was made on /v/ that stated "brave" was Hero with a Bowser Jr. type situation, the next character was "buddy" and likely Banjo, coming at E3. This was true. The post had a cat picture.
On September 12th, a post with the same picture was made, saying #5 is KOS-MOS, and Reimu and Ryu were in development.

1. This is the same person and they have or had info. I don't think someone guessed banjo's internal codename, the first post was very likely a real leak. The second post is a real leak too then.
2. The second post is fake and is just piggybacking off the first post. PapaGenos made a video about the first leak a week before the second post so they are very likely not the same person and this is just a case of piggybacking.
You covered everything right.

I wish I had the personal peace to having answered earlier, but I'm too heated right now about personal stuff.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Forgot to mention, a jeuxvideo post dated Dec 15 2018 said, for predictions of the pass after Joker:
  • Erdrick (what most insiders called Hero according to their sources)
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard (nobody would have guessed him before Nintendo’s FP4 screwup)
  • KOS-MOS
Might be coincidence, but calling Hero “Erdrick” and naming Terry makes me think that person might have insider info. That predates the Gamefaqs and 4chan posts

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe the jeuxvideo people had insider info, but I don't know, I doubt they would know all the characters that early.

Knowing all the pass is already a bit strange for me, but in december of 2018? I don't buy it, honestly.

To clarify I don't have anything against KOS-MOS. I think she's cool, but if I'm honest at the same time I have a hard time imagining her getting in before a Tekken and a Tales of rep

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Forgot to mention, a jeuxvideo post dated Dec 15 2018 said, for predictions of the pass after Joker:
  • Erdrick (what most insiders called Hero according to their sources)
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Terry Bogard (nobody would have guessed him before Nintendo’s FP4 screwup)
  • KOS-MOS
Might be coincidence, but calling Hero “Erdrick” and naming Terry makes me think that person might have insider info. That predates the Gamefaqs and 4chan posts
I mean, there was one that guessed Terry and we know it's fake as it got the trailer completely wrong. It also claimed Hayabusa was in

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I do want to say that while it's all tantalizing I have picture proof of me and my partner predicting Terry Bogard and being excited for the possibility of him being in just days after Joker's reveal. Just because a large portion of the fanbase wasn't noticing SNK's resurgence and Nintendo ties doesn't mean we all weren't and when you have so many people discussing a single subject to death someone's gotta have to get something right.

Still, I am pretty hopeful about KOS-MOS. She'd be great.

D

Deleted member

The jeuxvideo post could have also been someone making a dream fighter pass list who happened to be spot on due to some luck.

It would not be the only time it has happened, since that basically went on with a Twitter user who also wanted those characters.

D

Deleted member

The jeuxvideo post could have also been someone making a dream fighter pass list who happened to be spot on due to some luck.

It would not be the only time it has happened, since that basically went on with a Twitter user who also wanted those characters.
This is why leaks suck. And to Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura You got a link?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Eh Doomguy's cool and all, but my preferred demon hunting badass is Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series.
I mean, combo-based hack and slash character who can effortlessly do lots of stuff that to me would be broken in Smash. But I mean, yeah, there is a way to keep him a stable top tier with weaknesses.

Whenever someone brings up Dante, I fear that the game's balance will go downhill, despite the manners in which he could be a stable character. I'm just a pessimist, that is all.
I mean, Bayo is low tier in this game, so not sure why you are worried.
-combos
-guns
-bing bing wahoo
Ohohohoho... He's looking kind of neat.
We need Quote, too! :drifloon:
I don't see him get mentioned a lot but he looks nice.
Oh my god, I think the last character might be from Ubisoft...

I didn't even think about it but, Grant Kirkhope said that the way he got ahold of Sakurai and got his chance for Smash was THROUGH Ubisoft.

Mario + Rabbids was a collaborative effort that released in 2017.

If the character is not from Koei-Tecmo, and they're not from Bethesda, I think they're from Ubisoft...

It's just a hunch, just an observation, but we may be getting Rayman or an Assassin? I'm in full on conspiracy mode right now. Is Ezio ****ing incoming though? Like, it makes sense because of how big Assassin's Creed is, and the timeline makes sense too, and even the out of nowhere thing that no one would expect is there...

I **** you not I think it might be an Assassin's Creed character...

Edit: If Spirits deconfirm then that would mean that the Rabbids and Rayman are OUT... and what is Ubisoft's biggest franchise? Oh god.
I'd be down to play so Ezio or Rabbids. Also, I don't see how Rabbids are out of the question? It's only a few and specific Rabbids.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace

I mean it is a wishlist most likely but the person never replied again. And I read something that they want 2B in smash so they are definitely not a leaker.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
My thoughts on the KOS-MOS discussion, and then I go back to my lurking habitat:

1.) I would love for her to be in Smash, just so I could play her games on modern consoles. Never finished the first Xenosaga (broken PS2). I remember Harada saying that he would get Namco to work on a Xenosaga HD Collection if there was more fan demand for it, and her addition to Smash would definitely give Xenosaga more awareness.

2.) Soraya Saga recently tweeted a week or two ago that she would stop retweeting Nintendo Direct announcements from now on in order to “avoid being involved in speculation”. She usually retweets Direct announcements prior to the presentation whenever a Monolith-related title is involved. I thought the timing of the tweet was a little odd, as she could’ve just tweeted this immediately after the Xenoblade: Definitive Edition announcement in September when everyone was bugging her about it... Maybe this could imply another big Monolith-related announcement in the future (probably not Smash-related, but who knows...).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
1.) I would love for her to be in Smash, just so I could play her games on modern consoles. Never finished the first Xenosaga (broken PS2). I remember Harada saying that he would get Namco to work on a Xenosaga HD Collection if there was more fan demand for it, and her addition to Smash would definitely give Xenosaga more awareness.
Spoiler: Sakurai says "go buy a PS2".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My thoughts on the KOS-MOS discussion, and then I go back to my lurking habitat:

2.) Soraya Saga recently tweeted a week or two ago that she would stop retweeting Nintendo Direct announcements from now on in order to “avoid being involved in speculation”. She usually retweets Direct announcements prior to the presentation whenever a Monolith-related title is involved. I thought the timing of the tweet was a little odd, as she could’ve just tweeted this immediately after the Xenoblade: Definitive Edition announcement in September when everyone was bugging her about it... Maybe this could imply another big Monolith-related announcement in the future (probably not Smash-related, but who knows...).
Didn’t Namco file a trademark for Xenosaga HD Trilogy just last year actually? I remember reading it was explicitly for that and it would be on Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Steam

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
REALLY IMPORTANT: How do you pronounce KOS-MOS?

kay-oh-ess-emm-oh-ess?

or koss-moss?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Does anyone else think Milk Bosatu might not be dead assuming this KOS-MOS leak is real?

KOS-MOS is female and uses projectiles
(Sigh...)

That rumor said it was a specific kind of projectile, though, using Hammer Bro and boomerangs as examples. So it's a throwing weapon rather than a gun.

Yeah, no, that "leak" should have been dead and buried as soon as Terry was released, because that person was claiming it was Fighter 4 and that their "prophecy would soon come true", but immediately backpedaled after the Direct, saying it was Fighter 5 instead... completely ignoring they had already made a prediction that Fighter 5 was a character that had "already appeared". So what happened to that?

At this point, there are 0 reasons to keep giving this the time of day.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's one way to look at 4chan leaks even though it's basically Russian Roulette.
It totally is.

I like to think of 4chan like dumpster diving or digging for gold. Most of the time you'll get nothing, but every now and again you find something true.
Sigh...always negating everything I say, you win.
I feel like you're too eager to get your voice out there, which leads to you jumping to conclusions and overexaggerating them. I get you're still relatively new here, but there's no need to prove yourself or anything like that. You just gotta chill and think about this stuff with a level head.

To give my own opinion on the KOS-MOS leak, I'm interested. The original drunk cat leak went relatively unnoticed, so for someone to use the same picture now makes me think it's the same person using the photo as a tag of sorts (not the first time this has happened). Of course, it should be stated that 4chan users would totally be the type to find an obscure but true leak and piggyback off of it for attention and laughs, so I'm remaining skeptical.

I'd love to see KOS-MOS and Reimu if only for the fan reactions.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would just like to point out that this post was made on December 15th, and that the first rumors of "Brave" started circulating on December 5th.

Ergo, it's entirely possible this person saw these rumors and added Erdrick to their predictions/most wanted list.

Banjo was practically on everyone's most wanted list, and Terry could just be a lucky guess/noticing SNK's resurgence, as Flyboy mentioned.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
(Sigh...)

That rumor said it was a specific kind of projectile, though, using Hammer Bro and boomerangs as examples. So it's a throwing weapon rather than a gun.

Yeah, no, that "leak" should have been dead and buried as soon as Terry was released, because that person was claiming it was Fighter 4 and that their "prophecy would soon come true", but immediately backpedaled after the Direct, saying it was Fighter 5 instead... completely ignoring they had already made a prediction that Fighter 5 was a character that had "already appeared". So what happened to that?

At this point, there are 0 reasons to keep giving this the time of day.
I think he meant that the female fighter already has representation by a company in smash. So like Pac man

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Hey if Sakurai can shill Xbox, surely he can shill PS2...
Sakurai: If you want to play Xenosaga, I encourage everyone to play it on Playstation 2.

laughs

Sakurai: I know the system is officially discontinued, but please buy Xenosaga and play it on Playstation 2.

more laughter

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
People usually get the order of the fighters pass wrong. Vergeben thought DQ would be first, Papa's source said Banjo was in leading him to believe BK was in the base game, etc.

Unless Nakoruru somehow shows up with Terry's addition, it may not be a bad idea to keep our eyes peeled for a woman with flying projectiles. Anything can happen rn

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Projectiles doesn’t just mean boomerangs. It can be missiles, energy cannons, guns...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Projectiles doesn’t just mean boomerangs. It can be missiles, energy cannons, guns...
That Twitter user did put images of a boomerang and a Hammer Bros. with a clarifying tweet though. But on the other hand, the wording they used in their original Japanese post did translate to something more akin to something fired from a gun. It's all just extremely vague, really.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Sakurai: If you want to play Xenosaga, I encourage everyone to play it on Playstation 2.

laughs

Sakurai: I know the system is officially discontinued, but please buy Xenosaga and play it on Playstation 2.

more laughter
Kinda off-topic, but the recent Sakurai column confirms that Sakurai is the ultimate nerd when it comes to gaming. Both of his houses have two TVs, two Switches, and three PS4s and PS3s, and he owns over 60 controllers. He even sorts all the games he owns by release date.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think he meant that the female fighter already has representation by a company in smash. So like Pac man
These were formatted as two separate things in their original post, though. Something like:

"Fighter 4: Female fighter from unrepresented company" -> I remember this specifically for some reason
"Fighter 5: Already appeared"

So I find it unlikely that it was the same thing. I think A Ayumi Tachibana was the one who reposted it, can you help me out here? I couldn't find the original post, sorry for the inconvenience.

No, but the "leaker" specified the type of projectile themselves. Tried searching for the tweet itself, but I think it's been deleted.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Okay, I'm going to say my opinions on some potential fighters:
KOS-MOS: I expected her to get in.
Geno: Same as KOS-MOS. The only thing about him is that he's a spirit already. However, if anyone were to kick the "spirits deconfirm" or "literal who" things, it would be him, especially due to the sheer number of people backing him, even after he was Spirited Away.
Ryu Hayabusa: He seems pretty cool.
Reimu: Idc about her, but I don't mind her either.
Travis Touchdown: I'd expect him to get in due to being highly requested.
Lloyd Irving: See above.
Sora: See above.
Porky: I always expected him to be in, but at the same time, I thought the idea of him being in the Fighters Pass was odd due to him already having a stage in the game, being New Pork City.
Byleth: They're pretty cool and plus they're the obligatory Fire Emblem rep so the odds that they're in are big.
1562871557611.jpg

Sysreq

Smash Ace
The latter. That's how the characters in Xenoblade 2 do it, at least.
For some reason my oldest memory of hearing KOS-MOS's name it was pronounced as KOHS-MOHS, like if the O's were pronounced as O, so when I heard them say "cosmos" in XB2, I was like "wuh?" I think it was when I was in high school and my best friend was telling me about the games; maybe that was how he pronounced her name and it just stuck with me.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
KOSMOS being pronounced like that makes sense when you remember Japan can't quite say the actual word 'cosmos'. Ultraman Cosmos is pronounced the same way as KOSMOS too
Yeah I was thinking the same thing regarding Japanese pronunciation, I just dunno why I'd have it in my memory since before I became a weeb lmao

Edit: Interesting, I just texted my best friend and he said that in Xenosaga, they pronounced it like kohs-mohs. Guess that's why.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Short and sweet, I'm just gonna agree that this "leak" is likely just a case of piggybacking. If it were the same guy they'd probably give the codenames instead of the literal character names anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom