• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

IMO, the greatest addition to Smash ever.

Top 3 Craziest Smash reveals: 3. Banjo 2. Cloud 1. Sonic the motherf****n Hedgehog

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Top 3 Craziest Smash reveals: 3. Banjo 2. Cloud 1. Sonic the motherf****n Hedgehog
Nah, the craziest one was Snake. By far.

The first 3rd party ever and it's from Metal Gear, a series that was basically exclusively Playstation. Snake opened the floodgates and EVERYONE wanted third parties in. Snake broke the rules and in turn made them. 2006 belonged to Smash Bros. and Metal Gear there wasn't a single soul that wasn't talking about that.

But yes, Sonic was a great addition. Just not the craziest.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Tbh Banjo would've been a lot more insane if he wasn't leaked ahead of time.

So I'd personally put either Snake, like nonspecifiguy mentioned, or potentially Joker on the list instead

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

For me, the craziest ones were probably Banjo, Sonic, and Ridley in that order for me. Even though Ridley was leaked, I was not privy to that, so I got the full brunt of the surprise. Sonic blew everyone's freaking minds, too.

As for B-K, even with leakers saying they were in, I... 100% did not believe it. They could have told me that they were in until they were blue in the face, and I would have outright denied it until I saw it. Needless to say, even with their reveal not being so secret anymore, I was utterly blown the hell away. That was the most groundbreaking inclusion for me ever, and it likely always will be, even if we get Geno (my other pipe dream most wanted). After all, I never thought the bear and bird duo would ever come back, and after so many years of stubbornly fighting any glimmer of hope, their reveal opened the earth up from under me.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Bar none the greatest. Snake was far crazier, imo, as were Joker and Cloud and Banjo, but Sonic set the world on fire. Despite Olympic Games already being known, this was such a significant moment. We take for granted how often Mario and Sonic are seen together these days, but back then... I still vividly remember waking up and seeing him on the Dojo and screaming it to everyone in my middle school. Staying up all night running Classic Mode ten times with my friends, only to finish him/unlock him with Mario's Final Smash. No greater feeling. No greater global impact.

Now if only Sonic wasn't so horridly designed in Smash. I have fun with him but geez, you can tell he was rushed - which he was.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In terms of making people go crazy, I think Sonic edges out Snake. But given what Smash was, and what Metal Gear was, Snake would be crazier from a conceptual standpoint.

So conceptually it's probably :ultsnake::ultbanjokazooie::ultcloud:
Reaction-wise it's probably :ultsonic::ultsnake::ultcloud:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mega Man and Ridley made me pop off so goddamn hard I tired myself out, and I'm an energetic *****. Though back when I was too young to play Brawl as it was 12 plus in Europe, Sonic made me decide to skip Melee as I knew he was in the next game meanibg Brawl was better by default as I ****ing adored that blue prick

ZelDan

Smash Master
Megaman, Cloud, and Bayonetta were probably my most hype character announcements to this date.

Castlevania stuff in Ultimate might have been up there if it wasn't spoiled a good while before and if Nintendo themselves didn't leak it the night before lol.

D

Deleted member

I think I was more excited for Snake's return than I was for the grand majority of newcomers
Also I kinda forget Sonic is even in the game nowadays. I remember how excited I was for him back in Brawl but now that he's been here for three games the novelty has kinda worn off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
the virgin sonic vs the chad snake

how was banjo crazy exactly

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think I was more excited for Snake's return than I was for the grand majority of newcomers
Also I kinda forget Sonic is even in the game nowadays. I remember how excited I was for him back in Brawl but now that he's been here for three games the novelty has kinda worn off.
The novelty wore off for a different reason, realizing how ****ing annoying Sonic is with one of my friends very rarely picking someone other than Sonic. At least I had the most godlike read on him which got him whacked at like 40

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm always conflicted on how hype the Sonic reveal was. Like it was crazy to load up Smash Dojo and be starring at a Sonic reveal trailer. But that trailer is nowhere near as hype as that first Brawl trailer with Snake (still probably my favourite piece of marketing for Smash ever) but everyone had had a few months to get used to Sonic and Mario crossing over because of the Olympics game.

If Brawl had been the first time they'd crossed paths in a game? Hypest Smash moment ever.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
how was banjo crazy exactly
Idk. Hes been top 3 requested characters since Smash 64, he was the only Nintendo icon not repped at all in Smash, hes owned by Microsoft, he was the most requested character in the West, he was the first wholly western character added to smash, Sakurai worked with a western composer for the first time, and everyone lost their f****n minds

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of Sonic's reveal on the Brawl Dojo, I had a random Sonic battle today on the Wario Ware Stage with Ashley's Song playing in the background, if I recall correctly, that song was one of the last updates showcased before Sonic was revealed on the Dojo. (Either that or Kirby's final Smash) Don't know why I remember that but thought it was a nice coincidence...

Eitherway, that was all I wanted to say, carry on...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The novelty wore off for a different reason, realizing how ****ing annoying Sonic is with one of my friends very rarely picking someone other than Sonic. At least I had the most godlike read on him which got him whacked at like 40
One of my friends mained Sonic in the early Smash 4 days
How I had the willpower to remain friends with her after that is still perplexing to me

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Man, ArcSys just announced two more Kunio games.

Sure are a lot of games coming out all of a sudden for this mostly dormant franchise. I wonder if there's any ulterior motive behind that...HMMMMM.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
One of my friends mained Sonic in the early Smash 4 days
How I had the willpower to remain friends with her after that is still perplexing to me
Funny enough the Sonic main I know is the one person who doesn't give me **** for picking Hero. Then again whenever he plays Bowser he just spams that ****ing command grab and yes he tries to get you offstage with it

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
eh, icon is subjective.
i don't see phoenix wright in smash and i could argue he's one
Banjo was propped up by Nintendo to be among Mario, DK, and Pokemon as a mascot during the N64 days. The series also shares a ton of ties with the DK series.

He also has two legit games that are decades old, yet was still in HIGH demand by the public throughout the years.

The bear and bird are nintendo icons.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Man, ArcSys just announced two more Kunio games.

Sure our a lot of games coming out all of a sudden for this mostly dormant franchise. I wonder if there's any ulterior motive behind that...HMMMMM.
not smash bros thats for sure

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Banjo was propped up by Nintendo to be among Mario, DK, and Pokemon as a mascot during the N64 days. The series also shares a ton of ties with the DK series.

He also has two legit games that are decades old, yet was still in HIGH demand by the public throughout the years.

The bear and bird are nintendo icons.

no no, not if banjo was an icon, if he was the only one not in smash. banjo certainly is an icon, albeit a relic of the 90s type of icon.

i'd argue all day about phoenix wright being a nintendo icon

Eat butts.
do i look like a shadman to you

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
no no, not if banjo was an icon, if he was the only one not in smash. banjo certainly is an icon, albeit a relic of the 90s type of icon.
i'd argue all day about phoenix wright being a nintendo icon
i genuinely cannot decode what youre arguing

the banjo-kazooie series is a staple of nintendo's history, and it was the only missing piece to smash in terms of any representation.

phoenix is more capcom than nintendo. i wouldnt call megaman a nintendo icon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i genuinely cannot decode what youre arguing
get used to it

the banjo-kazooie series is a staple of nintendo's history, and it was the only missing piece to smash in terms of any representation.

then i shall not rest until my man mike jones gets the hard earned work he deserves

*opens google*
this bodes poorly

D

Deleted member

At the time, I didn't really understand how big 3rd parties were or what defined a third party, so Snake completely flew over me. I knew jack **** about his series, but I liked the music he got in Brawl and he was fun to play.

Sonic made me lose my mind. It was in a day where I didn't know about Sonic 06 and just played Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Heroes without any knowledge of good game design. Nowadays where I"m more critical of the series, it's hard for me to appreciate him beyond memes and music.

Anyways, my craziest reactions were probably 3. :ultkrool: 2. :ultbanjokazooie: 1. :ultjoker:

:ultkrool:: I enjoyed Tropical Freeze and respected the DKC trilogy. I wanted to see the series thrive and I wanted to see King K. Rool return to his former glory, and it paid off brilliantly. Wish they didn't nerf his burials.

:ultbanjokazooie:: Long time coming and was pretty much part of my introduction to gaming. I spent hours as a kid just exploring the worlds, not getting anything constructive done, and having a good time. They didn't age well and I'd rather play Tooie with a guide nowadays, but it was fun. Glad to see them in.

:ultjoker:: I never played Persona 5, but I played Personas 3 and 4. It was the kind of series I never expected to be in Smash back in high school when Smash 4 was the rage. Anyways, I watch Alpharad, and always rolled my eyes whenever he mentioned Joker for Smash. I had zero confidence he'd be in and believed it was Alpharad being Alpharad.

Honorable Mention: This piece of crap. :ultpiranha:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't remember having much of a reaction towards Snake or Sonic back in the day. I think I felt Sonic was just expected to appear and all I knew about Snake is that he was a dude.

I don't remember having much of a reaction to Mega Man or Pac-Man either. having Captain Falcon return for Smash 4 was definitely the most hype moment for me in that game. Ryu and Cloud were probably the first time I ever had a strong reaction. I had a dream back in the brawl days that Ryu was doing a shoryuken on the Halberd stage and like everyone else, I couldn't believe Cloud made it in.

As for the Ultimate newcomers, Ridley to me was a "Oh damn, he actually did it!" moment and I think I was happy to see King K Rool appear. With Joker I was pretty much just "huh... okay.", Hero and Terry received a golf clap from me and Banjo & Kazooie made me go nuts and they are my new favourite characters! Even now the trailer and seeing them in Smash Ultimate in general still gets my hyped up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Corrin is hands down the worst addition in Smash history.
That's not how you spell Banjo but ok. Though Corrin isn't the reason I said that.

Btw speaking of Corrin, anyone else here react to Corrin by laughing their ass off? I was watching that Smash direct with friends and one of those friends is a "**** Fire Emblem it stole my most wanted's slot!" Type

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh to be fair, those who grew up with him since the late eighties probably still considered him an honorary Nintendo character, even if he wasn't actually owned by them. Especially since he was mistaken as a Nintendo character at some point.

Similar deal happened with Simon Belmon, Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. Nintendo essentially treated these franchises as if they where part of their own for sometime. Hence why they where particularly popular with Nintendo fans and mistaken as one for sometime.

I think that's part of where most of their support sprung up from and what the other poster was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom