• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don’t think Terry is going to have his Garou alt, considering his idle pose has him adjusting his hat.

Then again, who knows.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't every character in Ultimate have two idle animations? How hard would it be to program it so that the hat-reliant one doesn't appear with the alt?
It's not a matter of whether or not changing or removing the animation would be difficult. None of the model-swap costumes in the game come with altered animations that could affect hitboxes. Is that the most minuscule and unimportant difference imaginable? Yes, but it's a difference nonetheless. I guess that's what Echo Fighters are for.

And for all we know, Terry's hat could be used in his taunt or victory animations, which would also need to be changed.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I don’t think Terry is going to have his Garou alt, considering his idle pose has him adjusting his hat.

Then again, who knows.
Or, and hear me out here because it might be pretty crazy. They just give the Garou alt a hat?

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Then it wouldn't be the Garou alt anymore...
Sure, but I've definitely seen people post Garou designs that included the hat, or later KoF designs that riff on Garou with a hat. I just think people are making a big deal out of something which if Sakurai really wanted to do, doesn't take too much work to implement.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Then again, who knows.
I get that but I don't know, making another idle pose for his alt and maybe an extra taunt for the Garou alt if Classic Terry has some taunt around his hat doesn't seem impossible. Yeah, it would be a new thing, but considering he's DLC and so far all the characters from the pass have received a lot of detail and attention, I don't think 1-2 extra animations are impossible.

I mean they could take advantage of this situation and give Garou Terry an idle pose or a taunt referencing Rock Howard when he touch his hair. The change from the hat animation wouldn't be so different and that way you have a cool reference to his adopted son.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Joker still does his "adjusting glove" pose when in the Shujin uniform. Unless he's wearing flesh gloves, Garou Terry having a useless hat animation isn't a huge deal.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, for Terry's Star, I wish they used his Garou "Running Wild" Star:
View attachment 241395

Just surround it in a circle and boom, it's distinctly Terry's.

Speaking of Garou, he better have that as an alt costume when ****ing School uniform Joker got in, lmao.
The star with elongated arm is a common Fatal Fury motif, most noticeably used in the Real Bout Fatal Fury logo. It's also the star on the back of Terry's vest, his most iconic look. Everything about it is "distinctly Terry". Hard agree on wanting the Garou alt though.
Or, and hear me out here because it might be pretty crazy. They just give the Garou alt a hat?
Terry has the alt in the most recent KOF with his hat on.
This is a good compromise. I like his KOF14 look a lot and am low key hoping we get some content from it, especially Follow Me. It's not impossible considering his stage takes elements from Antonov's stadium in 14.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Joker still does his "adjusting glove" pose when in the Shujin uniform. Unless he's wearing flesh gloves, Garou Terry having a useless hat animation isn't a huge deal.
To be fair, it could just as well be interpreted as him adjusting his sleeve.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Even though there are more plausible ways to work around it, I kinda want them to keep hatless Terry's animations the same, and have Sakurai explain it like "What? He's use to wearing a hat. Old habits die hard" or something.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In in regards to that supposed Tales icon. What's everyone's stance on it?
Save icon makes sense, series logo does not. Every other character added to Smash either has their home series logo (that doubles as a first game logo) or game-specific logos. If a Tales character was added or even if a Mii costume was added they'd have their game's logo as the SSB X GAME thing. Super Smash Bros. X Tales of Symphonia was even used before with Lloyd's Sm4sh costume.

I don't think this is a Smash hint. I'd like to be wrong, though.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sure, but I've definitely seen people post Garou designs that included the hat, or later KoF designs that riff on Garou with a hat. I just think people are making a big deal out of something which if Sakurai really wanted to do, doesn't take too much work to implement.
Yeah, but I feel like the lack of a hat is kinda the entire point of that outfit. Because without it, it's pretty much just the main outfit with long sleeves.

Besides, I want the "Hat Ken" people to go "Now it's just Ken!"

There's no fur collar on that bomber jacket!

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
That's not the Garou outfit though? It's a completely different jacket. They're not even the same color.

Also I don't think anyone is saying that the alt is completely unworkable based on what we've seen so far, just that Terry having hat-based animations could be a sign that it was never planned. As much as I'd like to see a Garou costume (bomber jackets are rad) I'm not expecting it. Most Smash fighters don't have alt costumes, even the ones with really obvious choices.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
That's not the Garou outfit though? It's a completely different jacket. They're not even the same color.

Also I don't think anyone is saying that the alt is completely unworkable based on what we've seen so far, just that Terry having hat-based animations could be a sign that it was never planned. As much as I'd like to see a Garou costume (bomber jackets are rad) I'm not expecting it. Most Smash fighters don't have alt costumes, even the ones with really obvious choices.
It’s just concept art. But it’s meant to be the Garou coat.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
As a Persona 5 fan, nah, he does this in his own game too if you wear ANYTHING else other than Joker.
They're probably unintended but I haven't played Persona 5 and I wish I could. It's too bad it's not on PC or Nintendo Switch.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honesty want a real female character than Female!Terry,
There's the potential in Jill Valentine as DLC fighter 5.

Also feel people might be sleeping on Lara Croft though she's probably got a better chance being post-Pass. KOS-MOS is another one and feel she's being slept on too.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
They're probably unintended but I haven't played Persona 5 and I wish I could. It's too bad it's not on PC or Nintendo Switch.
One manga for Persona 5 suggests that he simply got used to the gloves thing, oh, and in the anime, he'd ty to remove a person's mask because he was used to fighting shadows.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Question for the room:

Obviously Heihachi kind of blurs the line between antagonist/protagonist but are there any other 3rd party franchises that we could see getting a villainous character as their first rep?

Pyramid Head? Wesker?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Question for the room:

Obviously Heihachi kind of blurs the line between antagonist/protagonist but are there any other 3rd party franchises that we could see getting a villainous character as their first rep?

Pyramid Head? Wesker?
Nightmare from Soulcalibur.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question for the room:

Pyramid Head? Wesker?
I’ve seen people suggest Nightmare (Soul Calibur) and Monokuma (Danganronpa) cause they’re more iconically associated with their series than the protagonists.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also feel people might be sleeping on Lara Croft
Many have tried...

Hey folks, how about Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 for Smash?
Seems more suitable to be an AT than a playable character.

It'd have to be a series where the antagonist is one of the main playable characters for some reason.

Nightmare from Soul Edge seems like a likely candidate.

If you count Gargoyles Quest as a separate franchise from Ghosts 'N Goblins(which, personally, I don't), then maybe Firebrand.

Despite her portrayal in the recent MvC/I, Morrigan from Darkstalkers isn't actually supposed to be what you'd call a hero.

And of course Kazuma Kiryu may be the world's worst criminal, but he IS still a career criminal.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Question for the room:

Pyramid Head? Wesker?
Diablo, if our Blizzard franchise happens to be Diablo instead of Overwatch.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I could definitely see Wesker getting in, although Leon, Jill or Chris still feels more likely.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Forget Wesker. You're all forgetting this bad mofo here.

Someone is probably gonna say "Too ugly/grotesque for Smash!"

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Question for the room:

Pyramid Head? Wesker?
If Silent Hill gets a rep, that'd definitely be Pyramid Head.
As for Wesker, I find him more iconic than any of the protagonists, and he'd have more potential for a moveset too.

Then as others said, you have Nightmare or Monokuma who would definitely get in before anyone else in their franchise. For Warriors, you could have Liu Bu, and there are others from other franchises (like Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles) who stand a good enough chance too as first rep.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just had a very late realization. Hero was planned to be base game before sugiyama hindered it right? Remember how Vergeben was insisting we'd get a second SE character?
Wait, what? I only remember his naming a list of seven characters: Geno (Base Spirit, Mii costume MIA), Crono (MIA), Sephiroth (MIA), Sora (MIA), Erdrick (Mii costume as the DQ3 hero is named Arusu), Luminary (Hero’s default appearance), Slime (part of Hero’s taunt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom