• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not all of them but my prediction looks something like this

Skull kid
Pokémon rep
Isaac
Geno

(More uniques)
Banjo and kazooie
Gen 3 pokemon rep

Echos
Isabelle
Shadow
Ken
Black knight
Dixie kong

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Does anyone think we could get a Smash Ultimate newcomer announcement at Tokyo Game Show in a few weeks?
I think if there isn’t a Switch Online Direct, then we’ll probably get someone like Bandanna Dee announced there. Even if there is, the possibility that they might split the reveals exists.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I hope there isn't too much disappointment in the next couple months. With K. Rool, Ridley, and even Simon out of the way, its easy to skew your perspective for what means "most popular." A lot of current popular picks only seem popular in the absence of characters way more popular than they are.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I hope there isn't too much disappointment in the next couple months. With K. Rool, Ridley, and even Simon out of the way, its easy to skew your perspective for what means "most popular." A lot of current popular picks only seem popular in the absence of characters way more popular than they are.
That’s certainly true, but I think it’s relevant here. When so many popular characters have already been eliminated, that really only leaves a handful standing. A couple of which were basically next in line with regards to popularity and long term requested status.

Bandanna Dee, Geno, and Isaac I think probably fit this best. With each of them having different negatives against them to be, but I’ve always seen them (As well as probably Paper Mario, though there seems to be less enthusiasm for him overall) as the remaining sort of heavy hitters. Those are characters who have done well in polls and general support beyond others not already in the game from what I’ve seen.

Of those deconfirmed with standing amounts of support that are comparable when it would have mattered, there’s really only Krystal, kind of Waluigi (he doesnt actually seem to have done super well poll wise), Shovel Knight (Again kind of), Ashley (Whose support wasn’t that huge back then), and possibly Lyn as she remains the most popular Fire Emblem character not playable in Smash. Bomberman had some support too, but I didn’t see any of those come up super high either. And don’t completely compare to the other four I discussed. Who seem to pretty often rank very highly.

That doesn’t guarantee them a spot, but it makes their inclusion more likely when they’ve yet to show up in any capacity when so many others have fallen to snowglobe jail or otherwise, while other similarly high ranking picks are in. Those four have just done so well on the ballot than it’d be weirder to not see all of them show up in some capacity.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
What if we got rid of Mario and replaced him with the main character from Comix Zone? I think that is what the next Direct will reveal.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Ok, at this point I feel like everything is up in the air, so I have no idea how valid this list is, but here are my predictions (not factoring in my personal want):

Skull Kid: Didn't see him on many ballot polls, but there are a ton of hints towards his inclusion which I doubt Sakurai would drop if he will just be a stage boss. Even if Skull Kid didn't get as many votes, I'm sure the reasoning section would have been convincing enough for Sakurai.
Isaac: Besides scoring right behind K Rool on several polls, the Rathalos tweet has a lot going in Isaac's favor, since almost every element in the picture could be connected to Golden Sun in some way. If you think it is a stretch, try connecting it to an MH reference, and you would have to stretch much further.
Waddle Dee: There's less evidence here, but the cage fight is pretty convincing to me, and the fact that he's very popular and he is a logical choice.
Geno: Simply because Sakurai gave him a Mii costume AND gave him a shoutout makes me pretty convinced that he could be a Sakurai-choice.
Banjo/Kazooie: I feel like with less first parties left to choose, more third parties will be added. I have no connection to this character but he's done really well on polls, so I think Sakurai's more lenient approach this time around and willingness to add more third parties gives Banjo a big advantage over other characters.
Dixie Kong: There's a pretty good chance Dixie will be an echo in this game, but I think that's better than nothing. A lot of characters like Chrom and Daisy are getting echo treatment, and I think that's Sakurai's way to get more fan-favorites into the game. Since Dixie is pretty popular and is easier to turn into an echo than other characters, I think her chances are pretty likely.
Isabelle: The absense of her assist trophy and her growing popularity makes her an obvious choice as an echo of Villager. We also got a Mii costume of her, and AC representation at this point would feel really empty without her on the roster.
Shadow: Although not as popular as Tails, he has the advantage of being similar to Sonic, so he can get in as an Echo. Also his Assist trophy is missing, so it's extremely likely imo.
Ken: There's less evidence for this, but I feel like it makes a lot of sense as an echo of Ryu, and something Sakurai would be open to making.
Black Knight: Sakurai doesn't seem to care much about having too many FE reps, and BK would not only be an easy echo of Ike, but also he had a Mii costume and he is missing from Castle Siege. I think people are really sleeping on BK because we have so many FE characters, but I would say he is pretty likely.

If I were to add one more, I would probably have to go with Shantae, because although the idea of indie reps isn't appealing to me at all, I feel like there are quite a few hints out there that could be pointing to her inclusion, although I would say her chances are more slim than the others that I've listed.
Edit: I also forgot to talk about Rhythm Heaven...I think there's a pretty good chance that we could see that happen too.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That’s certainly true, but I think it’s relevant here. When so many popular characters have already been eliminated, that really only leaves a handful standing. A couple of which were basically next in line with regards to popularity and long term requested status.
Has it ever really worked out that way, lol. Maybe Smash 4 hurt me too much.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nintendo Life seems to think that there's a Direct coming within the next 24-48 hours or at least some kind of big Nintendo announcement/video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQVfRWUmpY

If this is true, I fully expect one or two character announcements.
I'm thinking 2 newcomers and 2 echos. should be easy to do, depending on the type of direct it is. May be a long one if they spend a bunch of time talking about the online service, which they still have said barely anything about

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm thinking 2 newcomers and 2 echos. should be easy to do, depending on the type of direct it is. May be a long one if they spend a bunch of time talking about the online service, which they still have said barely anything about
It's fairly hefty at 35 minutes long. I'm not expecting any more than a unique and an echo myself, but maybe we'll see more if it gets its own dedicated section at the end like it did at E3.

Depends on how much there really is to announce with the online service, as it doesn't feel like there will be too much to share regarding other games. It could also be notable that they seemingly created three separate directs for the smaller stuff (two Nindies and Dragalia Lost) to get it out of the way. Maybe they've got a lot packed for tomorrow?

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Lies i tell ya

The only 2 reliable leakers in my opinion are loz18 and Vergeben

MightyArcaninez

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-8917-7158
Switch FC
SW-1767-8025-0414
Lies i tell ya

The only 2 reliable leakers in my opinion are loz18 and Vergeben
I don't think ANY leakers are "reliable" Besides. When it comes to leaks, I think we can just be patient and wait for the info to come out. Instead of getting "Inside Tips" or hack in which is illegal. So instead let's just wait.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
I guess your right Its just that Vergeben a loz have been right about almost everything

MightyArcaninez

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-8917-7158
Switch FC
SW-1767-8025-0414
I guess your right Its just that Vergeben a loz have been right about almost everything
Yeah but don't you want the surprise of the info when it actually arrives. I just think leaks take away the excitement. Somebody I knew told me about a leak for Simon Belmont and when it actually arrived, I was just like yeah, OK, I already knew this. It took away from the experience. Nobody told me Chrom, Dark Samus, or K. Rool was getting in and I was hyped. Not so much with Simon or Richter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think ANY leakers are "reliable" Besides. When it comes to leaks, I think we can just be patient and wait for the info to come out. Instead of getting "Inside Tips" or hack in which is illegal. So instead let's just wait.
Vergeben absolutely has reliable information though.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Yeah but don't you want the surprise of the info when it actually arrives. I just think leaks take away the excitement. Somebody I knew told me about a leak for Simon Belmont and when it actually arrived, I was just like yeah, OK, I already knew this. It took away from the experience. Nobody told me Chrom, Dark Samus, or K. Rool was getting in and I was hyped. Not so much with Simon or Richter.
In my opinion the leaks about the smash direct only made me like the direct even more and when they showed of simon belmont someone i didn't know a whole lot about prior to the leaks made me so excited. Of course leaks do change the experience of the direct but in my opinion leaks just get me more hyped and involved in the community

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Might be potentially be how it went in the ballot

Excluding :ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

And another thing to point out

Look at the bottom

“Characters who cannot be realized are excluded”

Everyone on that unofficial version is realizable

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie....only in 16th place. Wow, guys, really? lol

Also it's noticeable that poll is dominated by third party characters. Proves there aren't that many big Nintendo characters left if everyone is choosing third party reps (Banjo, Geno, Sora, Shantae, Shadow, Rayman, Crash, Doom Guy, Sans, Pheonix Wright, etc)

Why so many third parties on that list? It seems like we're getting down to the last mainstream Nintendo reps. Other than ones saved for DLC like ARMS or Xenoblade 2, or the inevitable new Pokemon reps, etc.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910

Might be potentially be how it went in the ballot

Excluding :ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultwolf::ultyounglink:

And another thing to point out

Look at the bottom

“Characters who cannot be realized are excluded”

Everyone o#n that unofficial version is realizable
Sans will never get in smash

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Half those characters probably won't, especially the third parties, but people are free to wish/vote for whoever they want.
Im just thankful goku isnt on it

My fan made roster He guys just wanted to let you know that I just made a fanmade roster, If you could just check it out and give me some feedback that would be fine, just click My fan made roster at the top of my message.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
New Direct, New List of Potential Newcomers!

Here’s who I think we are going to get after new information.

Now I think Smash will have 11 main franchises represented by newcomers, in my new theory. I think every franchise having another character joining Smash or joining Smash, then there will be a second to come with them. Basically, every franchise that will get a newcomer, excluding 3rd parties already in Smash (Sonic), will have two new reps, most likely a new comer and an echo.

We already have Metroid with Dark Samus (Echo) and Ridley
Castlevania also has two with Simon and Richter (Echo)

Along with them and rumors, I believe the franchises that get newcomers will have two characters, so that leaves one new comers left for;

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Splatoon

I also believe new characters from these franchises will join;

The Legend of Zelda
Pokémon
Kirby
Golden Sun
3rd Party, most likely Minecraft

Here is my list of characters I think we have left using those rules + leaks

Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong (Echo of Diddy)
Fire Emblem: The Black Knight (Echo of Ike) - FE is too hated for a unique fighter
Splatoon: Octolings (Echo of Inklings)

The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid, Impa (Echo of Sheik)
Pokémon: Gardevoir, Gothitelle (Echo of Gardevoir)
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee, Dark Meta Knight (Echo of Meta Knight)
Golden Sun: Isaac, Matthew (Echo of Isaac)
Minecraft: Steve, Alex (Echo of Steve)

Other than those franchises the pre-existing 3rd parties will get new comers except Mega Man and Final Fantasy due to a lack of Echo potential.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Shadow (Echo of Sonic)
Street Fighter: Ken (Echo of Ryu)
Metal Gear Solid: Big Boss (Echo of Snake)
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-Man (Echo of Pac-Man)
Bayonetta: Jeanne (Bayonetta Echo)

This list would give us 6 new villains to add to the rumored villains trend (Gothitelle was an antagonist in Poké Park).
Many have been rumored or leaked, so I feel that this is our list of Newcomers, giving us 10 unique characters, the lowest of any Smash game, just like Sakurai warned us of.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If this is correct then we may potential who the unqiue will be tomorrow

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76970115

A user by the name of “lady bow” post a character threads on resetera usually one day before a even

One day before E3 a Ridley thread was made and Ridley was revealed a day later

Then a day before the smash direct a King K. Rool thread he was the ending of it

So the theory is this person is a insider

And we got another one one day before the

Skull kid

We shall wait and see

Last edited:

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
New Direct, New List of Potential Newcomers!

Here’s who I think we are going to get after new information.

Now I think Smash will have 11 main franchises represented by newcomers, in my new theory. I think every franchise having another character joining Smash or joining Smash, then there will be a second to come with them. Basically, every franchise that will get a newcomer, excluding 3rd parties already in Smash (Sonic), will have two new reps, most likely a new comer and an echo.

We already have Metroid with Dark Samus (Echo) and Ridley
Castlevania also has two with Simon and Richter (Echo)

Along with them and rumors, I believe the franchises that get newcomers will have two characters, so that leaves one new comers left for;

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Splatoon

I also believe new characters from these franchises will join;

The Legend of Zelda
Pokémon
Kirby
Golden Sun
3rd Party, most likely Minecraft

Here is my list of characters I think we have left using those rules + leaks

Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong (Echo of Diddy)
Fire Emblem: The Black Knight (Echo of Ike) - FE is too hated for a unique fighter
Splatoon: Octolings (Echo of Inklings)

The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid, Impa (Echo of Sheik)
Pokémon: Gardevoir, Gothitelle (Echo of Gardevoir)
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee, Dark Meta Knight (Echo of Meta Knight)
Golden Sun: Isaac, Matthew (Echo of Isaac)
Minecraft: Steve, Alex (Echo of Steve)

Other than those franchises the pre-existing 3rd parties will get new comers except Mega Man and Final Fantasy due to a lack of Echo potential.

Sonic The Hedgehog: Shadow (Echo of Sonic)
Street Fighter: Ken (Echo of Ryu)
Metal Gear Solid: Big Boss (Echo of Snake)
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-Man (Echo of Pac-Man)
Bayonetta: Jeanne (Bayonetta Echo)

This list would give us 6 new villains to add to the rumored villains trend (Gothitelle was an antagonist in Poké Park).
Many have been rumored or leaked, so I feel that this is our list of Newcomers, giving us 10 unique characters, the lowest of any Smash game, just like Sakurai warned us of.
Geno is a lot more hard to add then people actually think. First of he is owned by square and they don't care at all about him. Even if he made it in he wouldn't be under the mario banner becuase he is owned by a different company, Gardevoir could happen but they could add so many better gen 5 reps
for example Zoroark for greninja, Dark meta knight should just be a skin and its kinda getting anoying when they just add "Dark" versions of characters, Mrs. Pac man, also skin, litterals the only difference between her and Pac man is that she wears lip stick. Other then that your roster looks pretty good I just think they'll half of the characters you mentioned

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Heh, that's my thread. To be fair the guy on ResetEra is either very lucky with his guesses or has some inside knowledge, he also doesn't respond directly when people ask him about it.
Well kudos for pointing it out then

This user will end up stalked on the internet if skull kid is revealed tomorrow

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Geno is a lot more hard to add then people actually think. First of he is owned by square and they don't care at all about him. Even if he made it in he wouldn't be under the mario banner becuase he is owned by a different company, Gardevoir could happen but they could add so many better gen 5 reps
for example Zoroark for greninja, Dark meta knight should just be a skin and its kinda getting anoying when they just add "Dark" versions of characters, Mrs. Pac man, also skin, litterals the only difference between her and Pac man is that she wears lip stick. Other then that your roster looks pretty good I just think they'll half of the characters you mentioned
In what way is Geno significantly more difficult to add? It's mostly just asking Square for the rights to the character, and given how little they use him, it's basically a yes/no scenario I'd imagine. And with the fact that he is so tied to Mario they could easily lump him in regardless of the fact that Square owns him. I mean, yeah, it's not as easy as any other Nintendo character naturally, but I'd say he's about the easiest third party to add given that there isn't any real need to give Sakurai constraints on the character unless Square is just difficult about such a minor character to them as well. Again, as I always say, that doesn't make him guaranteed, but it does give him a really good chance all things considered.

Gardevoir is a Gen 3 rep, and if they were choosing a previous generation representative as opposed to Gen 7 which is what people generally believe, then it would just make sense for one of the more popular choices from the ballot days (and arguably in general) to make it in.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Geno already had a costume in Smash and is popular, two factors that play into new comers as of right now. If Sakurai wants him, which he does, then he’ll make it happen. Geno will also be a Mario rep because he originated from a Mario game and has only been in Mario games.

Dark Meta Knight is a mirror, so he’d have plenty of different animations, like Meta Knight’s down B can be him going into the mirror instead. He was brought back as a prominent character in Triple Deluxe, and since there is already a Galacta Knight skin, he’s the best bet for a Kirby echo to follow the trend.

Mrs. Pac-Man would be an echo as 3rd parties don’t allow costumes of different characters, they want them to be separate. Plus Mrs. Pac-Man recently got a redesign.

Gothitelle was on the Richter leak, plus her and Gardevoir were in an episode of Pokémon together. She would be out there for a Gen 5 pick, but to complete the generations her inclusion makes sense.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Doom, Phoenix, and Sans all that high, Dixie that low, and no Lloyd at all? That polls seems really wonky.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Geno already had a costume in Smash and is popular, two factors that play into new comers as of right now. If Sakurai wants him, which he does, then he’ll make it happen. Geno will also be a Mario rep because he originated from a Mario game and has only been in Mario games.

Dark Meta Knight is a mirror, so he’d have plenty of different animations, like Meta Knight’s down B can be him going into the mirror instead. He was brought back as a prominent character in Triple Deluxe, and since there is already a Galacta Knight skin, he’s the best bet for a Kirby echo to follow the trend.

Mrs. Pac-Man would be an echo as 3rd parties don’t allow costumes of different characters, they want them to be separate. Plus Mrs. Pac-Man recently got a redesign.

Gothitelle was on the Richter leak, plus her and Gardevoir were in an episode of Pokémon together. She would be out there for a Gen 5 pick, but to complete the generations her inclusion makes sense.
Hehatchi, chocobo along with many others got a mii costume too. And many of them won't be in smash for a long time. People also say that relevency isn't a factor in choosing a character this time around but it kind of is. Even K rool has appeared as a main character in like 10 games, geno litterally has 1 game and 1 cameo, if you didn't play mario rpg which a lot of people didn't, you wouldn't really have an attachment to him.

While your at it add dark link, darkn toon link and shadow mario too. Besides Meta Knight is already kirbies "villian" as shown of at the end of the smash direct, plus bonkers as an echo for king dede would feel a lot better as an echo than dark meta knight, plus each character sakurai adds has a purpose even echos, Dark samus was added because she was a big deal in the metroid prime games.

How do you know that 3rd parties can't have alternate skins, just because it hasn't happened dosn't mean it won't, sakurai or anyone official ever said that.

The ricther leak was already proven false Check it out here thats all im going to say.

In what way is Geno significantly more difficult to add? It's mostly just asking Square for the rights to the character, and given how little they use him, it's basically a yes/no scenario I'd imagine. And with the fact that he is so tied to Mario they could easily lump him in regardless of the fact that Square owns him. I mean, yeah, it's not as easy as any other Nintendo character naturally, but I'd say he's about the easiest third party to add given that there isn't any real need to give Sakurai constraints on the character unless Square is just difficult about such a minor character to them as well. Again, as I always say, that doesn't make him guaranteed, but it does give him a really good chance all things considered.

Gardevoir is a Gen 3 rep, and if they were choosing a previous generation representative as opposed to Gen 7 which is what people generally believe, then it would just make sense for one of the more popular choices from the ballot days (and arguably in general) to make it in.
I don't have an issue with Gardevoir just Gothitelle. I'd like to see geno in smash and would Sakurai, but at the end of the day the descision will come down to square a whether THEY care about geno or what. And can you think of the headache it was to get the rights to metal gear and snake! We can't anyhting about geno because it's not descision its squares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom