• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So what kind of gameplay mechanics or archetypes would y'all like to see explored with DLC?

I'm personally always a fan of super heavy characters, and I think a character having some life leech attributes on their attacks could be interesting if done properly.
One character mechanic I'd be personally invested in is a combo mechanic where the more unique hits you land on your opponent, the stronger the attacks get, with everything falling apart as soon as you get hit. I envision Arle with this mechanic.

Another one I think would be kinda cool, is a character who has the ability to grab behind them, either instead of or in addition to in front of them, for potential mixups and dodge punishes. But, unless Arle and Carbuncle work together, I can't think of many characters who could get away with this.

For an archetype, it'd be one unique to platform Fighters like Smash. Instead of having extra strong moves to kill with, this character would instead focus on edgeguarding as their main means of getting kills. Imagine a character who didn't have any moves that killed from the ground before 240% on Mario, but DID have moves that could get a Mario at 30% dead if they did everything absolutely perfectly. I don't know who could fill this, though.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I think Ganondorf should have kept his Twilight Princess design, its the one game where he canonically used a sword after all besides Wind Waker, Sheik could have brought back her canon Ocarina of Time design and yeah, Young Link being Majora's Mask themed and you'd have the whole cast represent different games in the series.

Oh well...
Heck, I would purchase a Zelda costume pack! That's way better than a Mii costume.

Well crap...now I have to do this. I'm limiting 8 costumes per pack...except for one of them.

Super Mario Costume Pack
Mario - Fire Mario, Sunshine Outfit
Luigi - Mr. L
Peach - Rose Gold Peach
Bowser - Dry Bowser, Wedding Bowser
Yoshi - Black, White (yes...he counts in this pack)

The Legend of Zelda Costume Pack
Link - Twilight Tunic, Skyward Sword Tunic
Sheik - OoT Outfit
Zelda - Twilight Zelda, Skyward Sword Zelda
Ganondorf - Twilight Ganondorf, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf
Toon Link - Lobster Shirt

(I'm sure I could do one for Fire Enblem, however I'm not well versed enough to say anything.)

Classic Costume Mini-Pack
DK - Arcade DK
Captain Falcon - Instruction Booklet Outfit
Pit - NES Pit
Ridley - Super Metroid Ridley

Melee Mini-Pack
Fox
Falco
Marth
Roy

Smash 64 Costume Pack
Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff

Armored Costume Pack
Mewtwo - Armored Mewtwo
Shulk - High Entia Armor, Jungle Outfit
Samus - Metroid Prime Varia Suit, Metroid Prime Corruption Suit
Pit - Three Sacred Treasures
Snake - Phantom Pain Snake
Mega Man - Rush Armor

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh, some other ideas. Terraformers who influence the stage like idk, Steve or Arle and characters who can outright fly for a limited time or something, maybe just Miriam Bloodstained's Invert allowing her to fly up or down freely as long as she doesn't spam it to do some nutty aerial combos.

Oh and an air dash like Sol Badguy

(I'm sure I could do one for Fire Enblem, however I'm not well versed enough to say anything.)
Just give everyone their Great Lord equivalents. If you want to get really creative, Lucina could have an archer outfit and Chrom could have a cavalier costume. Robin could have mage robes.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The CORRECT list would be

FP1 #5: Doom Slayer (Eternal + Guy alts, Mars Core stage, Rip and Tear + BFG Division remixes)

FP2 #1: Jill Valentine (Leon Kennedy alt a la Olimar + Alf, Wii Fit)
FP2 #2: Ryu Hayabusa (simul-released w/ Heihachi Mii Brawler costume + Heihachi Mishima remix)
FP2 #3: Phoenix Wright (ft. Courtroom stage similar to Warioware + ten remixes of Pursuit~Cornered)
FP2 #4: Monster Hunter (male + female alts)
FP2 #5: Geno (simul-released w/ Sora Mii Swordfighter costume + Rage Awakened remix)
>Sora
>Mii Swordfighter Costume

No way would Sakurai go through negotiation hell with Disney to get a Mii Costume.

cothero

Smash Lord
Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC? If so, i'm all for it. Let's all pick two WTF characters, a first-party and one third-party. Here are my picks:

First-party: Victreebel
71-Pokkén_Victreebel.png

A really WTF mon i love.

Third-party: Amingo

Amingo-from-Marvel-vs.png

I'm a big fan of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and his design is so damn cool.

Now i wanna see your choices you handsome sons of *******.

Edit: i just realized that i picked two plants, LOL

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
GameFAQ made a Google Poll, The Top 20 Most Wanted Results:
20. Leon Kennedy (49 Votes)
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
17. Paper Mario (54 Votes)
17. Rex & Pyra (54 Votes)
15. Monster Hunter (55 Votes)
15. Ryu Hayabusa (55 Votes)
14. Bandana Dee (58 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
12. Dixie Kong (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
02. Phoenix Wright (71 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.
Late to the party as ever but even if neither made the top 20 solo, it's still nice to see Toad(26 votes) and Captain Toad(33 votes) ranking highly showing there's demand even if split for which Toad is wanted. A total of 59 votes between them and their identity crisis still puts them around Dixie and Dee's level which is more than I was expecting from GameFAQS.

D

Deleted member

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.
Ryu Hayabusa is in the top 20. Now I'm forced to actively root against him /s

On the topic of the top 100, I wonder how possible it'd be if the next Fighter Pack happens to not have anyone on that list.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC? If so, i'm all for it. Let's all pick two WTF characters, a first-party and one third-party.
First Party: Boshi
Third Party: Agent 47 (I've thought of a cool mechanic for a possible moveset)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So what kind of gameplay mechanics or archetypes would y'all like to see explored with DLC?
Absolutely none.

I hate when I character I'm excited to play in Smash ends up being ruined because of some poor attempt to shoehorn mechanics from the character's home game into Smash in a way that isn't fun, is overly complicated, or just plain detrimental.

I'm looking at you, Hero. But it's happened many times throughout Smash.

Yeah. Disney would most likely request a character. They're not like Toby Fox.
I'm sure Toby Fox WANTED to have a full character. But he gets what he gets.

Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC?
Not if they want that DLC to sell well.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC? If so, i'm all for it. Let's all pick two WTF characters, a first-party and one third-party. Here are my picks:

View attachment 240290

A really WTF mon i love.

View attachment 240293

Boggy B from Worms series and Mallow from Super Mario RPG

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 240290

A really WTF mon i love.

View attachment 240293

He already kinda did with PP. But if he did more, I’d go with Beedle from Legend of Zelda and - since it’s been brought up a lot - Goose from Untitled Goose Game.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Isaac edged out by Waluigi...SMH...Isaac is bae.
That top 10 is solid though. Except for 6 and 7. Nothing against them, I just have no desire to have them in the game. I haven't played the Ace Attorney games, but I bet Phoenix's wacky style would be fun. I don't care for Crash, but I can't deny his status as an icon. Rayman would be cool too.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

View attachment 240290

A really WTF mon i love.

View attachment 240293

they can pull that with base but that wouldn't be a good idea for DLC

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You could always go Project M and give them outfits based on popular Fire Emblem characters not in Smash yet:
Marth - Seliph
Lucina - Caeda or Eirika
Roy - Alm
Chrom - Sigurd
Ike - Hector or Ogma
Robin - Celica, Merric, Micaiah (a lot you could do here)
Corrin - Navarre, Lyn, Ayra (once again, a lot you could do here)

andree123

Smash Ace
Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC?
I wanted Sakurai/Nintendo to choose a mobile character as a WTF character, but I have a feeling that we might be getting fighters who are also non-fighter spirits, so any non-fighter spirits you wanted to appear as WTF fighters?

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
First Party: My brother once recommended Spheal as great WTF character and I've been on the Spheal train ever since. He's adorable, he's a ball, and his moveset would have to get pretty creative. Additionally he'd rep Gen 3, so he's pretty stacked in all respects.

Third Party: The Merchant from Resident Evil 4. Imagine him pulling gobs of random stuff out of his trench coat to fight with. His taunts would have to be "What are you buying?" As he opens his trench coat. "Got something that might interest ya" as he makes a rude gesture towards the screen. And "What are you selling?" As if he's making fun of your weakness as he KOs you.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Absolutely none.

I hate when I character I'm excited to play in Smash ends up being ruined because of some poor attempt to shoehorn mechanics from the character's home game into Smash in a way that isn't fun, is overly complicated, or just plain detrimental.
Ok Darth, I get where you're coming from, and can totally understand wanting a newcomer that stays mechanically pure to Smash, but I really do believe having a character that strikes a balance between having their gameplay work by itself as a Smash moveset, while also having it stay faithful to their core series (at least on a small level) is one of the BEST things about introducing new characters to the game. It adds a completely new, interesting flavor of fighter to an already diverse roster, while also respecting his or her source material. I also don't think that at ONE point it was shoddily or poorly implemented into the game, even with a more controversial pick like Hero (who I'd also argue is a ridiculously fun character to play as, and has certain checks to to counteract his nutty RNG potential). From Ryu's imputs, to Jokers Rebellion Gauge, to even smaller things like Banjo's Wonderwing charges, adding in a character's gameplay elements in a way that makes technical sense to the battles of Smash serves to make them feel more organically implemented, and brings a completely new way to play into the picture.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
First Party: My brother once recommended Spheal as great WTF character and I've been on the Spheal train ever since. He's adorable, he's a ball, and his moveset would have to get pretty creative. Additionally he'd rep Gen 3, so he's pretty stacked in all respects.
I love Spheal.

cothero

Smash Lord
I wanted Sakurai/Nintendo to choose a mobile character as a WTF character, but I have a feeling that we might be getting fighters who are also non-fighter spirits, so any non-fighter spirits you wanted to appear as WTF fighters?
Oh, i'm 100% on Mach Rider. He/She would fit in both Retro and WTF parameters.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Does anyone think Nintendo/Sakurai might want to add a WTF character as DLC? If so, i'm all for it. Let's all pick two WTF characters, a first-party and one third-party.
Best serious pick, best joke pick, best WTF pick, best woman, best 1st party with no reps, you name it... Always and forever, my girl:

A third party WTF:

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Ryu's inputs are pretty optional though. Being out of MP when you're off the stage with Hero isn't.
Isn't the solution to just manage your MP better? Hero is resource based... but they regen fairly quickly and getting in some hits gets you an absolute ton back.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not to be rude or anything..but if we get a Chain-Sword user, I want Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses....however, since I already know how some people react to that..allow me to share my avatar with three relevant quotes in it..
Done with your Crap Byleth.jpg

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Not to be rude or anything..but if we get a Chain-Sword user, I want Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses....however, since I already know how some people react to that..allow me to share my avatar with three relevant quotes in it..
View attachment 240354
I mean, said opinions aren't entirely unjustified.

Also I'm surprised people dislike Female Byleth, everyone I know chose her.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
View attachment 240354
I mean Byleth's chainsword is cool and all but...

...does it do FIRE?

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
View attachment 240354
Nothing wrong with Byleth; I'm down for a 3 Houses rep just for the music alone... but since we're talking about our wants for chain swords in Smash then, ummm:

And it does fire!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Isn't the solution to just manage your MP better? Hero is resource based
Yes, that's part of the "obnoxious mechanic that aren't fun to play" part comes in.

If you have to do resource management to do something as simple as basic recovery, that's a pain in the ass.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean, said opinions aren't entirely unjustified.

Also I'm surprised people dislike Female Byleth, everyone I know chose her.
Yeah, I know..but I mean, excluding Clones, there's only really 4..Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin, the rest are just spin-offs of Marth.
And, to be honest, I also just don't care. Fire Emblem is one of my 4 favorite series (Fire Emblem, Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, & Persona) and its one with a constantly rotating rotating roster, so naturally, akin to Pokémon, getting a new character every entry isn't the worst possible thing and likely wouldn't be as negatively recieved were it not for the aforementioned sameness most of them have due to over half of them sharing the same general moveset...and yeah, I know, Pokémon is the same level as Mario and such..but Fire Emblem has become one of Nintendo's biggest series that isn't part of the Mario-Zelda-Pokémon level (yeah, still under Kirby & Animal Crossing..but probably higher than a lot of the others).

Yeah, I've noticed that too..but you wouldn't believe the amount of people that hated fByleth's design..particularly her exposed navel, short shorts, and tights.
I mean Byleth's chainsword is cool and all but...

...does it do FIRE?
Actually..yeah.
F_Byleth_Special.png
That said, I'd love to have them in the game..but lets admit, Sakurai has a strong main character bias and I doubt anyone other than Rex & Pyra would get to appear..Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did well..but I kinda doubt we'd get more than 1 XBC rep unless he also decides to include someone from XBCX.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yes, that's part of the "obnoxious mechanic that aren't fun to play" part comes in.

If you have to do resource management to do something as simple as basic recovery, that's a pain in the ***.
But it's such an infrequent scenario, and you have like four different versions of a recovery you could pull off at any given time (the fourth does depend on RNG I admit) that cover huge amounts of distance. Like, unless you're just spamming magic attacks that have high MP cost without any sort of regular attacks, grabs, or smashes, you're almost never going to run into this scenario...

osby

Smash Obsessed

If you have to do resource management to do something as simple as basic recovery, that's a pain in the ***.
That's subjective, honestly.

I play as Robin since Smash 4 and it's been quite a while since I've died because of no wind tome. It's far easier to get your basic recovery messed up with say, Dr. Mario.

I've always found Smash resource management is pretty easy to keep track of even with Hero, compared to what most other fighting games require to play.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I am very interested in the nature of future DLC. While I could make predictions on the fighter pack, who knows what the future DLC characters would be like.

Right from the get go, before Joker was revealed, Sakurai said the fighter pack would include a stage and music to go with it. With that knowledge, I predicted all the fighters would have to be from a series not represented in Smash yet. It didn't make sense to me to have a new stage and music for a fighter that came from a series that already had those things. So it had to be all new. And I was right.

However, Sakurai has said nothing about what these future DLC fighters will have. If they don't come with a new stage or music and it's just the fighter alone, perhaps we will be getting characters from familiar series.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
So slightly off topic but I wanted your guys' opinions on this:

I think that we are at the end of what is, without a doubt, the worst generation of console gaming. Developers sold buggy, unfinished sections of an entire game and expected their customers to pay $60 or more for "continuously updating" garbage. For a good portion of this generation, AAA companies were under the assumption that single player games were dead, and that selling multiplayer only games with no features was enough. Preorder Bonuses, witholding content for DLC, Lootcrates, and Pay to Win became the norm. Thank God for Sony exclusives, Rockstar, and Nintendo (Switch era).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So slightly off topic but I wanted your guys' opinions on this:

I think that we are at the end of what is, without a doubt, the worst generation of console gaming. Developers sold buggy, unfinished sections of an entire game and expected their customers to pay $60 or more for "continuously updating" garbage. For a good portion of this generation, AAA companies were under the assumption that single player games were dead, and that selling multiplayer only games with no features was enough. Preorder Bonuses, witholding content for DLC, Lootcrates, and Pay to Win became the norm. Thank God for Sony exclusives, Rockstar, and Nintendo (Switch era).
Sounds hyperbolic, honestly.

I'm pretty sure if you looked at a release of major games, quite a few of them simply try to sell the consumer on being a good game in and of itself. Not like greed is a new thing in the gaming industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom