• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heoj

Smash Ace
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
GameFAQ made a Google Poll, The Top 20 Most Wanted Results:
20. Leon Kennedy (49 Votes)
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
17. Paper Mario (54 Votes)
17. Rex & Pyra (54 Votes)
15. Monster Hunter (55 Votes)
15. Ryu Hayabusa (55 Votes)
14. Bandana Dee (58 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
12. Dixie Kong (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
02. Phoenix Wright (71 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.
If I made a fighters pass using 5 of these characters I would choose:
Geno
Leon Kennedy
Phoenix Wright
Doom Guy
Skull Kid

D

Deleted member

The devs usually don't listen to fans, and if they do they take it like suggestion.

Geno
Leon Kennedy
Phoenix Wright
Doom Guy
Skull Kid
If any of those characters (except Doom guy) get into Smash I'll do a somersault into a septic tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.
Defintaley nice to see Bandana Dee on the list.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So what kind of gameplay mechanics or archetypes would y'all like to see explored with DLC?

I'm personally always a fan of super heavy characters, and I think a character having some life leech attributes on their attacks could be interesting if done properly.

ze9

Smash Ace
My 5 would be:
Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Bomberman
Doom Guy
Isaac

And then, for the inevitable 2nd round:
Geno
Crash
Leon Scott Kennedy
Bandana Dee
Anyone but Sora

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbh if Danganronpa comes to Switch I kinda feel like a character from it could be in Smash?

The series has picked up a large following as of recently, it's pretty popular in Japan as is series creator Kazutaka Kodaka, and additionally Sakurai is a huge fan of the series and has played every game in the series as he said when talking about Kodaka's new company, we also don't have any visual novel characters playable in Smash either so it would be a first.

Just kinda something that's been on my mind I guess, take it as you will.
While I would prefer Zero Escape, I wouldn't mind Danganronpa. Though how the hell would a character from that even work?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Stabs his sword through his opponent's head like the total madman that he is.

That would be quite alright with me.

I think Ganondorf should have kept his Twilight Princess design
Nah, Ganondorf should have taken on his trident-wielding Hyrule Warriors design.

Not sure what it says about the Smash community at large where if you take, say, the top 20 3rd party characters on that list (that aren't already in Smash) and it matches pretty exactly with the speculation scene.

"Everyone likes to be a winner"?
That's exactly what it says. People would rather be right than ask for who they really want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno
Leon Kennedy
Phoenix Wright
Doom Guy
Skull Kid
Well out of those characters I would make it like this:
Phoenix Wright
Geno
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Doom guy.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
While I would prefer Zero Escape, I wouldn't mind Danganronpa. Though how the hell would a character from that even work?
I'm thinking three possibilities:

-Monokuma: Would use various moves based on the gags he does throughout the series as well as moves from Ultra Despair Girls. These would include his claws, a flamethrower, a jetpack, shapeshifting, self-destruction, a machine gun, a SWAT shield, a bazooka, the Spears of Gungir, and for his final smash, an execution (I think the best one would be After School Lesson)
-Ultimate Student: Either Makoto Naegi, Hajime Hinata, Kaede Akamatsu, or Shuichi Sahara could fit this, or perhaps all four Hero-style. Would use various things from the Class Trials, Truth Bullet for their neutral special, Cross Sword for their side-special, Hangman's Gambit for their up-special, Mind Dive for their down-special, and for their Final Smash I'd say Full Counter from Danganronpa V3 where they call their respective classmates to rebuttal based off Scrum Debates.
-Junko Enoshima: The main villain of the first two games, I'd say they'd be paired up with Monokuma and would use some of the things I listed from him as well as barrow attributes from her sister Mukuro, the Ultimate Soldier.

Just a few ideas.

Edit: Forgot about Komaru, she could use her hacking megaphone and summon Toko as Genocide Jack for some of her specials, heck maybe even a Shiek/Zelda type thing.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Very happy to see that Crash won!!!

Though Dragonborn being #96 and Prince of All Cosmos not even being on the list at all kinda upsets me.
He would bring so much to the table...

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
So what kind of gameplay mechanics or archetypes would y'all like to see explored with DLC?

I'm personally always a fan of super heavy characters, and I think a character having some life leech attributes on their attacks could be interesting if done properly.
Gravity manipulation mainly - it exists as an item already (Black Hole) so a character built around that is fully feasible. While there are a lot of characters with that trait (Kat comes instantly to mind) Gordon would probably be the most triumphant example. Since the Gravity Gun debuted alongside the Havoc engine, it's incredibly important to how developers took on physics. Not least since it lead to Portal.

In League it simply stops people from walking around right? It should probably work like that then where they can still attack and shield (or dodge in the air)under the effect they just can't move around for a couple of seconds.
Yup, roots only stop movement (not attacks or abilities) in LoL / Dota 2. I'd also imagine it's be functionally a lesser form of bury (with it looking differently).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm just surprised Byleth and Edelgard polled as well as they did considering SmashFaqs' infamously toxic views about Fire Emblem. The fact that they both got in the top fifty is pretty surprising.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

My 5 choices would be:

1: Skull Kid
2. Doom Guy
3. Leon
4. Rayman
5. Amaterasu

Honorable mentions to Phoenix, Crash, and Paper Mario

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just checked that poll again. Crono made it to 24th place? That is awesome!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think no leak has been out on who will be the last DLC character for the fighters pass I suppose ? Only speculation and 4chan Troll ?

In anycase I was thinking about a Sony Rep how do ya all would feel if Sir Daniel Fortesque was the chosen one ? MediEvil being I believe a good candidate for representing Sony.
I mean, it would be, but I kinda feel like Banjo-Kazooie/Microsoft were a very special case. Sony, being on top at the moment even if Nintendo is catching up, seem very, very unwilling to play nice with any other company (just look at their resistance to crossplay). I also think Microsoft getting a character was a special case only due to fans wanting Banjo-Kazooie rather than fans having an interest in a Microsoft rep in particular.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Not sure what it says about the Smash community at large where if you take, say, the top 20 3rd party characters on that list (that aren't already in Smash) and it matches pretty exactly with the speculation scene.

"Everyone likes to be a winner"?
Yeah, that's basically either long term wanted characters or recent speculation, not really surprising. Only the order changes from time to time: on the big poll Reddit got before the launch of the game, Isaac, Llyod, Paper Mario or Amaterasu had much more support then, but they are still strong enough. Honestly, outside of the new speculated characters, only Skull Kid surprises me: I thought he lost a lot of support after deconfirmation, more than Isaac, Waluigi or Shantae. Phoenix is also particularly high compared to older polls.

I don't think spirit or AT will get a promotion for being a character proper, people need to stop that can of wish that will only hurt themselves much.
It's a poll about "most wanted" characters, not "most likely" characters.
Exactly. Let us believe, let us hope in what we want, let us out a howl. And cry once more when nothing happens (not that time however!).

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
Honestly, outside of the new speculated characters, only Skull Kid surprises me: I thought he lost a lot of support after deconfirmation, more than Isaac, Waluigi or Shantae. Phoenix is also particularly high compared to older polls.
I'm not surprised by your surprise. As a Skull Kid supporter, and a friend of many Skull Kid supporters who don't engage in the speculation scene, we generally assume any Zelda character is a lost cause when it comes to base game, let alone DLC.

None of us actually think that Skull Kid has a chance, but when we're asked if we WANT him, we sure as heck do!

He-Was-Number-Wan

Smash Rookie
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

The CORRECT list would be

FP1 #5: Doom Slayer (Eternal + Guy alts, Mars Core stage, Rip and Tear + BFG Division remixes)

FP2 #1: Jill Valentine (Leon Kennedy alt a la Olimar + Alf, Wii Fit)
FP2 #2: Ryu Hayabusa (simul-released w/ Heihachi Mii Brawler costume + Heihachi Mishima remix)
FP2 #3: Phoenix Wright (ft. Courtroom stage similar to Warioware + ten remixes of Pursuit~Cornered)
FP2 #4: Monster Hunter (male + female alts)
FP2 #5: Geno (simul-released w/ Sora Mii Swordfighter costume + Rage Awakened remix)

If I were to get Whoever I want, it would be something like this:

Isaac (Golden Sun) - Good game, also an earth bender.
Zero (Mega Man Zero design) - Just a cool dude with a cool moveset and a cool design.
Magnolia (Bravely Second) - Fun personality with a naginata and time magic. Also quite acrobatic and possible game mechanic inclusion.
Ludgar (Tales of Xillia 2) - Similar to Leon Kennedy tbh, but would be a prime candidate for weapon switching mechanic and has a sledge hammer.
Dimitri (FE Three Houses) - More grounded, brutal spear wielder. Ideally somewhat taller than other FE characters (Chrom's height bugs me)
Jin (Xenoblade 2/Torna) - Anime sword boy yada yada. He has Ice powers and I just like him.
Bandana Dee (Kirby) - Cute little guy who tries his hardest. And waddle dees are endearing.
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101) - Like a cross between Lucas (minus specials) and Captain Falcon

I don't expect any of them to happen, but they all have legitimately new things they could bring to Smash gameplay-wise. I know I have three spear people and three sword people in my list, but they all would have different takes on those weapons if done properly. I mostly worry because some franchises in Smash like Fire Emblem have much less work put into the characters' personalities and feel uninspired because of it.

Not that any of these would happen anyway.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Thing is I'd say speculation has adjusted it's expectations accordingly? Joker and even Bayonetta to some extent have shifted people to be looking more at modern classics, and Terry has definitely got people doing dives into what games are popular in regions outside of the normal "Japan, US, Europe" triptych.

I do remember people discussing Terry and an SNK rep a while ago, the consensus came to "it'll obviously be Terry if they do SNK" and it kind of got dropped? Probably because people (myself included) kind of expected the Namco Bandai of it all to get Tekken in before another fighting franchise.

Will it be an obvious front runner though? Who knows!
Kinda, I'd say? I mean, most speculation is still the usual suspects because of people being familiar with them and / or investing loads emotionally into said characters. That said, Terry and Hero did make people more aware - the thing I've got to say there is that the "Sakurai pick" reason a lot of people lean to is obviously not the whole picture. Hadn't a bunch of Chinese companies no one here knew about * rescued SNK from bankruptcy in 2015, then Geese would (probably) not be in Tekken 7, nor would Terry be in Smash.

And honestly? I'm kinda wary of the obvious front runners as FP 5. 3 out of 4 of my "most likely picks" are front runners: Ryu, Doomguy, Crash. But characters like Tracer's lurking in there too. So yea, a big who knows.

*(before SNK really became a factor here)

(Unrelated note: Finally reached Elite Smash with my main Cloud! Also, won my first Elite match because of a Joker going a lil too ham off stage. Oh well, not gonna complain.)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mostly worry because some franchises in Smash like Fire Emblem have much less work put into the characters' personalities and feel uninspired because of it..
And then there's Lucina, who ended up getting the worst of it, since the Smash 4 localization made her a completely different character personality-wise. Still bums me out how they botched her. :/

At least Chrom's underlying dorkiness got into Smash though. The fact that one of his KO lines is "Sorry!" is hilarious. Ignoring that they mistranslated one of his critical hit quotes in Awakening Aether.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If I were to get Whoever I want, it would be something like this:

Isaac (Golden Sun) - Good game, also an earth bender.
Zero (Mega Man Zero design) - Just a cool dude with a cool moveset and a cool design.
Magnolia (Bravely Second) - Fun personality with a naginata and time magic. Also quite acrobatic and possible game mechanic inclusion.
Ludgar (Tales of Xillia 2) - Similar to Leon Kennedy tbh, but would be a prime candidate for weapon switching mechanic and has a sledge hammer.
Dimitri (FE Three Houses) - More grounded, brutal spear wielder. Ideally somewhat taller than other FE characters (Chrom's height bugs me)
Jin (Xenoblade 2/Torna) - Anime sword boy yada yada. He has Ice powers and I just like him.
Bandana Dee (Kirby) - Cute little guy who tries his hardest. And waddle dees are endearing.
Wonder Red (Wonderful 101) - Like a cross between Lucas (minus specials) and Captain Falcon

I don't expect any of them to happen, but they all have legitimately new things they could bring to Smash gameplay-wise. I know I have three spear people and three sword people in my list, but they all would have different takes on those weapons if done properly. I mostly worry because some franchises in Smash like Fire Emblem have much less work put into the characters' personalities and feel uninspired because of it.

Not that any of these would happen anyway.
You get so many respect points from me for including Ludger. ToX2 is easily my favorite Tales game. If I could be totally biased and have my own Tales rep pick I'd choose Rideaux.

Last edited:
And then there's Lucina, who ended up getting the worst of it, since the Smash 4 localization made her a completely different character personality-wise. Still bums me out how they botched her. :/

At least Chrom's underlying dorkiness got into Smash though. The fact that one of his KO lines is "Sorry!" is hilarious. Ignoring that they mistranslated one of his critical hit quotes in Awakening Aether.
I always imagined Lucina being a combo-centric character instead of a Marth clone. Marth works because he's basically a fencer, but Lucina always charges in, so it doesn't really fit her. I agree. I would also like if she had a really gaudy secondary costume to reference how bad her sense of style actually is. But that's nitpicking.

D

Deleted member

19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Theres something more interesting with that poll that seems kinda interesting when you see it.

Put the top 20 in a chart with an other section with the total of the remaining votes and you'll notice it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The CORRECT list would be

FP1 #5: Doom Slayer (Eternal + Guy alts, Mars Core stage, Rip and Tear + BFG Division remixes)

FP2 #1: Jill Valentine (Leon Kennedy alt a la Olimar + Alf, Wii Fit)
FP2 #2: Ryu Hayabusa (simul-released w/ Heihachi Mii Brawler costume + Heihachi Mishima remix)
FP2 #3: Phoenix Wright (ft. Courtroom stage similar to Warioware + ten remixes of Pursuit~Cornered)
FP2 #4: Monster Hunter (male + female alts)
FP2 #5: Geno (simul-released w/ Sora Mii Swordfighter costume + Rage Awakened remix)
Solid.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
Theres something more interesting with that poll that seems kinda interesting when you see it.

Put the top 20 in a chart with an other section with the total of the remaining votes and you'll notice it.
I noticed that if you combine 31. Jill Valentine (40 votes total) with 20. Leon Kennedy (49 votes), you get a total 89 votes for a Resident Evil Rep.

So a combined Jill/Leon character would suddenly jump to #1 with 89 votes total!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I noticed that if you combine 31. Jill Valentine (40 votes total) with 20. Leon Kennedy (49 votes), you get a total 89 votes for a Resident Evil Rep.

So a combined Jill/Leon character would suddenly jump to #1 with 89 votes total!
I mean, in fairness, that's not the only case like that. For example, Byleth and Edelgard have roughly the same amount of votes, with just seven apart, but combining them totals to 73 for a Three Houses character in general. That would actually put them right above Phoenix Wright.

However, combining a game's characters isn't often the best indicator since some people would want one specific choice but not another, which could also factor in for Resident Evil.

Just something to consider.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
I mean, in fairness, that's not the only case like that. For example, Byleth and Edelgard have roughly the same amount of votes, with just seven apart, but combining them totals to 73 for a Three Houses character in general. That would actually put them right above Phoenix Wright.

However, combining a game's characters isn't often the best indicator since some people would want one specific choice but not another, which could also factor in for Resident Evil.

Just something to consider.
I agree, but I definitely think RE is a bit of a special case, since it's fairly common for people to specifically suggest a Leon/Jill(/Chris/Claire) combo character, and a combo character would make a good amount of sense when it comes to how the original games play.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

I would like to see a character that uses DoTs (damage over time) mechanics like spells, curses, or poisons.
I wouldn't mind a summoner character either, that just like summons minions constantly to fight for them.
I think a character with a mind control ability would be neat too, walk people off the stage type thing.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

I think a Souls-Esque mechanic that heavily revolves around dodging/blocking/parrying would be interesting. Someone like Artorias (or any souls rep really) would be a heavy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Hyper resource management from a Resi character where they're strong early on but their resources are limited by stocks like wonderwing.

1 per stock stat boost, preferably Sol Badguy's Dragon Install. Drawback includes immense end lag when done

DBFZ Captain Ginyu style specials where the effect changes based on who's in the rotation, preferably Crono and if he uses B at the start of the stock, it's just Crono. Then the next special move is a Lucca Dual Tech, then Marle, etc

Anti-zoner heavy, preferably Edelgard. By this I mean a heavy character who doesn't reflect projectiles but just armours through them for a limited time

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I want a character that can at any time switch between two sets of normals, using different weapon types, without altering their specials or other attributes.
. . .Basically, I want a character from Xenoblade X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom