• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Is Humble Bundle even the actual developer/publisher for Hat in Time?
Nope, that's developed by Gears for Breakfast.

People still asking for 1st party characters? Huh, personally I don't care since all first party characters I cared about got in in the 2 last games. 3rd parties are more interesting even after the Cloud reveal, I thought it was never going to happen.
Well, consider this: Your experiences are not universal. I stopped caring for third-party reveals around the time of Bayonetta.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As a huge Zelda fan, I'm not really that bothered by Zelda's playable representaion. The only things I'd really want is Impa (wouldn't even care if an echo) and a more unique moveset for Ganondorf. It'd also be nice if the other Link's were a bit more differentiated, like having Toon Link have the Magic leaf as a recovery or Young Link being based more on majora's Mask and give him his razor sword and mirror shield from that game.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
In regards to Zelda's representation I just want Ganondorf to have a more unique moveset, that's my personal wish. Sure giving Ganondorf a sword was neat, but I still want to see him use dark magic and stuff like Dead Man's Volley.

Roberk

Smash Champion
As a huge Zelda fan, I'm not really that bothered by Zelda's playable representaion. The only things I'd really want is Impa (wouldn't even care if an echo) and a more unique moveset for Ganondorf. It'd also be nice if the other Link's were a bit more differentiated, like having Toon Link have the Magic leaf as a recovery or Young Link being based more on majora's Mask and give him his razor sword and mirror shield from that game.
Same, I have a hard time of thinking of a new rep. Making the 3 Links revamped and unique along with Ganon or a unique Ganondorf would allow for new gameplay and representation without forcing a side character that wouldn’t stand on the level of the Triforce trio.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Differentiation between the Links and modifying Ganondorf would be a great start. Toss in Impa based on Hyrule Warriors and you have a pretty solid lineup.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Waluigi's moveset should be based on the sports games. I mean, cmon, its a layup.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm one of the three people in the world who liked Coin Smash, so... yes please.
I like it, too.

A nice easter egg they can add is changing the expression on Anna's face during Coin Battles. The more coins on screen/the more coins she collects, the bigger the grin.

And when there's a boatload of coins on screen, the excitement becomes less subtle like:

Anna's cute and current. Why not?
That's the spirit.

While I’d want a dozen or two other FE characters first, Anna would be pretty unique and would have the ability to represent the weirder sides of FE gameplay. Like, real niche game by game stuff. Mines from FE7, ballistae, etc. making her a zoned character. Rather than representing FE gameplay by spacing with a sword she can control the battlefield with various traps and projectiles. Idk, it could be neat.
Exactly!

Her moveset potential is what initially got me interested in her as a playable character.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Before Three Houses I was pretty heavily on the "Anna would make FE representation pretty perfect" train and while I still absolutely love her it'd be nice to have her as the weirder, more fun side of FE and then either Byleth+The Lords or Edelgard representing heavy attacks and the strategic side of FE.

D

Deleted member

Before Three Houses I was pretty heavily on the "Anna would make FE representation pretty perfect" train and while I still absolutely love her it'd be nice to have her as the weirder, more fun side of FE and then either Byleth+The Lords or Edelgard representing heavy attacks and the strategic side of FE.
"Byleth representing the strategic side of FE"

Hmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
represent ********* nerds, two things can be true

Anyway Robin is more resource management rather than unit management, see?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Reminder that most of the Fire Emblem characters that we've received weren't actually intended to be in the game from the start, but were lucky to find alternative ways to make the roster.
:ultroy:: Initially got in as an easy Marth clone when boosting the roster in Melee. Later returned in Smash for because Sakurai wanted a Melee character to return and his only competition was Pichu and Young Link
:ultlucina:: Started as an alternate Marth costume, got promoted at the last minute.
:ultcorrin:: Sakurai wanted a character that was too new to be in the initial base roster for DLC, Fire Emblem Fates had more or less perfect timing to fill this niche.
:ultchrom:: Heavily requested and an easy opportunity for an echo. Also, he was being modeled for Robin's final smash anyway which further decreased the workload.

As such, I've never really gotten the impression that "Sakurai is biased to Fire Emblem". Without these easy opportunities to flesh out the roster and fill specific niches, we'd only have :ultmarth:, :ultike:, and :ultrobin:, which is relatively fair for a franchise the size of Fire Emblem. It's less that Fire Emblem is actually consciously being overrepresented, more that it's been very lucky in terms of being at the right place at the right time.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Reminder that most of the Fire Emblem characters that we've received weren't actually intended to be in the game from the start, but were lucky to find alternative ways to make the roster.
We got 4 fire emblem reps on this fighters pass. i dont know how ppl want more...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
We got 4 fire emblem reps on this fighters pass. i dont know how ppl want more...
If that actually happened and we did somehow get 4 Fire Emblem characters on the pass, nothing would change, we'd probably really be in a situation to say that.

Fun question time, any characters you really want in the game that are less likely due to heavy competition?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If that actually happened and we did somehow get 4 Fire Emblem characters on the pass, nothing would change, we'd probably really be in a situation to say that.

Fun question time, any characters you really want in the game that are less likely due to heavy competition?
I guess Elma, since Rex & Pyra is everyone’s go to despite Rex having a costume.

Which don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind Rex, but let Elma have her time to shine first. 2 has music in the game, X has literally nothing aside from the Spirits, and they’re not even all of them.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I guess Elma, since Rex & Pyra is everyone’s go to despite Rex having a costume.

Which don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind Rex, but let Elma have her time to shine first. 2 has music in the game, X has literally nothing aside from the Spirits, and they’re not even all of them.
I see where you're coming from, and even though I don't care for Elma myself I'm worried for a lot of her fans since Sakurai seems much more interested in Xenoblade 2. Still, with all of our DLC likely being third party and the next came in the future likely focusing on first parties, I can definitely see Elma being a base game character for 6 still.

For me, mainly Prince of all Cosmos (Lloyd and Heihachi competition), Dragonborn (very likely but much of the Bethesda support's been going to Doom, from both genuine supporters and people jumping in on the hype), and Gex (competition with many of Square' big characters, along with Lara Croft from the Eidos side).

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
:ultroy:: Initially got in as an easy Marth clone when boosting the roster in Melee. Later returned in Smash for because Sakurai wanted a Melee character to return and his only competition was Pichu and Young Link
:ultlucina:: Started as an alternate Marth costume, got promoted at the last minute.
:ultcorrin:: Sakurai wanted a character that was too new to be in the initial base roster for DLC, Fire Emblem Fates had more or less perfect timing to fill this niche.
:ultchrom:: Heavily requested and an easy opportunity for an echo. Also, he was being modeled for Robin's final smash anyway which further decreased the workload.

As such, I've never really gotten the impression that "Sakurai is biased to Fire Emblem". Without these easy opportunities to flesh out the roster and fill specific niches, we'd only have :ultmarth:, :ultike:, and :ultrobin:, which is relatively fair for a franchise the size of Fire Emblem. It's less that Fire Emblem is actually consciously being overrepresented, more that it's been very lucky in terms of being at the right place at the right time.
Which is why the dislike for Fire Emblem in Smash just seems unfair IMO. Then again, said dislike also bloomed into a dislike of new sword users later on (I don't know if that's because of Fire Emblem or because sword fighters are really good in Ultimate with several of them being rated as high or top tier on a lot of tier lists)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Which is why the dislike for Fire Emblem in Smash just seems unfair IMO. Then again, said dislike also bloomed into a dislike of new sword users later on (I don't know if that's because of Fire Emblem or because sword fighters are really good in Ultimate with several of them being rated as high or top tier on a lot of tier lists)
It's a general mix between representation fatigue of the series, high tier ratings like you mentioned, push back on reaction to some very intense fans, and just a lot of fans who don't really care about the franchise. It's a complex situation.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Dragonborn (very likely but everyone's bandwagoning Doom)
Look, just because a lot of people want Doom Slayer doesn't mean everyone is bandwagoning. Is there a few? Yeah, definitely. But the Doom Slayer support base, including myself, has done a LOT of work to get as many people as there is right now on board with the idea of an Ultra Violent Space Marine from one of the most M-Rated Franchises ever. Just feel like you saying "everyone is bandwagoning" is a real disservice to the fans who have stuck by the character since well before Ultimate's announcement.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Look, just because a lot of people want Doom Slayer doesn't mean everyone is bandwagoning. Is there a few? Yeah, definitely. But the Doom Slayer support base, including myself, has done a LOT of work to get as many people as there is right now on board with the idea of an Ultra Violent Space Marine from one of the most M-Rated Franchises ever. Just feel like you saying "everyone is bandwagoning" is a real disservice to the fans who have stuck by the character since well before Ultimate's announcement.
I was just exaggerating, I've seen a lot of genuine support for Doom and I'm glad you're able to rally behind the character. Still I've seen a reasonable amount of bandwagoners, but in other community bases.

I'll update my wording, I'll admit I was being rude.

D

Deleted member

Any first party character I might want is up against third parties.

If Three Houses got in, I'd rather have Byleth over Edelgard.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Elma has Rex to deal with...still unknown how the next wave will be handled, and if miis and ATs are on the table. Even then Sakurai and Nintendo may want to opt for series that are not yet involved in Smash at all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was surprised that Impa wasn't an echo of Sheik. It makes a lot of sense. Then again, Smash doesn't tend to do things that make sense like adding Rayman since we already have a 3D trophy render of him.

D

Deleted member

Elma has Rex to deal with...still unknown how the next wave will be handled, and if miis and ATs are on the table. Even then Sakurai and Nintendo may want to opt for series that are not yet involved in Smash at all.
Watch our new Xenoblade rep be from Xenoblade Chronicles 1 Remake.

D

Deleted member

I'd love to see a Riki upgrade but I think it'd be silly to give 1 another rep before Rex and Elma.
Is it silly? Shulk is now relevant again, which allows Sakurai to take advantage of a side character of XC 1 and expand upon its representation. Now who on earth would he choose? Beats me; I should play XC1 when it comes out. I'd like Rex in as much as the next guy, though. XC2 was a nice time and I do like Pyra's and Mythra's design barring obvious fanservice.

I straight up think it's either XC1 or XC2 (or nothing). XCX just ain't topical after Smash 4 compared to something like Three Houses.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Is it silly? Shulk is now relevant again, which allows Sakurai to take advantage of a side character of XC 1 and expand upon its representation. Now who on earth would he choose? Beats me; I should play XC1 when it comes out. I'd like Rex in as much as the next guy, though. XC2 was a nice time and I do like Pyra's and Mythra's design barring obvious fanservice.

I straight up think it's either XC1 or XC2 (or nothing). XCX just ain't topical after Smash 4 compared to something like Three Houses.
I wouldn't say silly, but I do think it'd be fair to see one of the other two get their first rep first, and this is coming from someone doesn't care much for X and 2 and really likes 1 xP Still I'm fine with whoever Sakurai would choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom