• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not the type to harass someone for being wrong i'll leave that to the crazies in the smash community
I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you. That wasn't my intent.

But yeah, there are a lot of crazies. Please be cool everyone.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you. That wasn't my intent.

But yeah, there are a lot of crazies. Please be cool everyone.
i knew you weren't accusing me i was just addressing how i would handle myself no need for apologies

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Ryu Hyabusa is in, I wonder if there'll be anything from Dead or Alive.

Ayane was a secondary character in the 3D Ninja Gaidens and I think Kasumi made a cameo.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If Ryu Hyabusa is in, I wonder if there'll be anything from Dead or Alive.

Ayane was a secondary character in the 3D Ninja Gaidens and I think Kasumi made a cameo.
Kasumi made more than a cameo, she's fully playable in Razor's Edge.

A bit of a gore warning going in of course because it is 3D Ninja Gaiden and all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
On the contrary, I really hope that we won't have anymore of those. Except Mr Game & Watch. And Wii Fit Trainer. And Rob. And Pokémon Trainer. Hum... Makes me wonder, what is a 'Sakurai pick', exactly?
It just a buzzword people use when they can't rationalize a character addition themselves.

Sakurai picked pretty much all characters in the roster. It's just he have different priorities for different characters.

Doesn't help Corrin was a choice of Smash 4 development team and people still call them a Sakurai pick.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Kasumi made more than a cameo, she's fully playable in Razor's Edge.

A bit of a gore warning going in of course because it is 3D Ninja Gaiden and all.

now this makes me what to try out the 3d games man i wonder what it would be like if platinum games got there hands on Ninja Gaiden

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Regardless of what people are saying, I think Byleth is one of the most exciting potential newcomers honestly. I don't get why the character isn't talked about much here, seeing how recent Three Houses is. I think they would have a great potential playstyle that's yet unseen in Smash. And no I don't think they'd be so similar to the Belmont characters either. Zoning isn't as much of a priority for Byleth as it is for them. Byleth could have brawling moves as well, and be more of a all rounded sword fighter but with great zoning options and brawling for mix ups. I could get excited about them more than any third party that's left honestly.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regardless of what people are saying, I think Byleth is one of the most exciting potential newcomers honestly. I don't get why the character isn't talked about much here, seeing how recent Three Houses is. I think they would have a great potential playstyle that's yet unseen in Smash. And no I don't think they'd be so similar to the Belmont characters either. Zoning isn't as much of a priority for Byleth as it is for them. Byleth could have brawling moves as well, and be more of a all rounded sword fighter but with great zoning options and brawling for mix ups. I could get excited about them more than any third party that's left honestly.
Probably because most Fire Emblem fans in Smash fandom seem more interested in Edelgard.

And while both of them would be great choices for me (particularly Byleth), it's not easy to argue adding 8th Fire Emblem character over a brand new franchise.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Probably because most Fire Emblem fans in Smash fandom seem more interested in Edelgard.

And while both of them would be great choices for me (particularly Byleth), it's not easy to argue adding 8th Fire Emblem character over a brand new franchise.
Byleth would be cool they have a whip sword

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea for Byleth. Like Pokemon Trainer you choose which House Leader you team up with but unlike PKMN Trnr, you're stuck with your choice for the match.

Choosing the House Leader would change what special moves you can use, so it's a cross between Smash 4's custom moves and MKX's variations.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I had an idea for Byleth. Like Pokemon Trainer you choose which House Leader you team up with but unlike PKMN Trnr, you're stuck with your choice for the match.

Choosing the House Leader would change what special moves you can use, so it's a cross between Smash 4's custom moves and MKX's variations.
But shouldn't they also have different normals? None of them share a weapon.

Also, it sounds like a :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus: situation, which wasn't warmly received for a good reason. What's the use of transformations if you can't use it whenever you want?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But shouldn't they also have different normals? None of them share a weapon.

Also, it sounds like a :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus: situation, which wasn't warmly received for a good reason. What's the use of transformations if you can't use it whenever you want?
Because it's not a transformation. You don't turn from one into the other.

My idea is that Byleth does most of the normals and teams up with the House Leaders for Special attacks.
Extra Idea: As well as half the colors being male and female, half of them have pre and post timeskip looks, and summon the student and leader variants respectively.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, I think Hero in general begs to differ.
Think about it.

Advertisement of popular series in the East.

And in return advertisement of popular series in the West.

Irony here Dragon Quest wasn't as popular here in the West but otherwise much so in the East whereas Doom is the opposite.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Think about it.

Advertisement of popular series in the East.

And in return advertisement of popular series in the West.

Irony here Dragon Quest wasn't as popular here in the West but otherwise much so in the East whereas Doom is the opposite.
We just have to wait to see if we're gonna get another western rep at all banjo was the exception and if doom guy gets in then there's a chance more western stuff was considered if not then you be the judge

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We just have to wait to see if we're gonna get another western rep at all banjo was the exception and if doom guy gets in then there's a chance more western stuff was considered if not then you be the judge
As said I'm not denying the possibility of being wrong actually and I most likely probably am but decided to take the risk of throwing the bone in for this prediction.

D

Deleted member

The very idea of another Fire Emblem character makes me sick.

As for Dante, KOS-MOS, and Sol Badguy:

Dante: I think it might be possible that he gets in down the line, there's a good demand for him and he's a character from a very influential game series. Not sure if he's in the pass. Faces competition against RE.

KOS-MOS: Xenosaga has been succeeded by Xenoblade and there is little demand for her compared for other character. I expect her to see her as a mii costume.

Sol: If Arcsys gets to have a character in Smash it's definitely Sol, it's one of their biggest characters and they could use it as promotion for GG 2020.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Is there some kind of database of game publishers/developers? Feels like there aren't any that have reliable enough information or let you sort data in any reasonable way. Just would be interesting to see which publishers are the most active at the moment.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Capcom rep (Phoenix Wright or Resident Evil rep), Crash, Doom Slayer and Steve are all among the expanded DLC I see possibility happening.

Also expect an Namco rep but it could be any like Lloyd, Heihachi or even an sleeper pick like an Dark Souls, KOS-MOS or Agumon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, let's see how the biggest publishers (I can recall) not currently involved are and how willing they are to work with Nintendo.

EA: They were once friendly enough to put Mario, Luigi and Peach in their sports games but modern EA considers Nintendo a bridge burnt after the WiiU.
Activision: Worked with Bowser and Donkey Kong back in the late Wii/ Mid WiiU Era. Relationship still seems good
Ubisoft: Already has spirits in game, Nintendo published the modern Rayman games in Japan and the whole Kingdom Battle thing. Really it's suprising that they haven't gotten a character yet.
2K: Never really worked with Nintendo to my knowledge and always worked more on the "big boy" consoles.
Taito: Now owed by Square-Enix.
Interplay: No real interaction with Nintendo and last I heard Eathworm Jim's new game is a new console's exclusive
Warner Interactive: Mad their own Smash Knock off in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion so you could say there's intrest.
Sony: [insert video of JK Simmons as JJ Jameson laughing]

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well, let's see how the biggest publishers (I can recall) not currently involved are and how willing they are to work with Nintendo.

EA: They were once friendly enough to put Mario, Luigi and Peach in their sports games but modern EA considers Nintendo a bridge burnt after the WiiU.
Activision: Worked with Bowser and Donkey Kong back in the late Wii/ Mid WiiU Era. Relationship still seems good
Ubisoft: Already has spirits in game, Nintendo published the modern Rayman games in Japan and the whole Kingdom Battle thing. Really it's suprising that they haven't gotten a character yet.
2K: Never really worked with Nintendo to my knowledge and always worked more on the "big boy" consoles.
Interplay: No real interaction with Nintendo and last I heard Eathworm Jim's new game is a new console's exclusive
Warner Interactive: Mad their own Smash Knock off in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion so you could say there's intrest.
The only two western companies i can see happening are Ubi and Act that's about it

SKX31

Smash Master

To add to that (Also NBA Street 4 Lyfe, why wouldn't you bring it back EA?):

Valve: A very interesting option, but only has the Half Life Tactics (and Dota Underlords) rumors around it. Still, could see talks ressurrect if Valve gets something going that Nintendo would be interested in. Either of those two rumored projects would be something Nintendo would be interested in for different reasons.
Tencent: People really sleep on these guys. I mean, they literally started a daughter company, TenNin, to produce Switch consoles for China. I've become much more bullish on a MOBA rep recently, and Tencent's deep ties with Nintendo is one reason. Valve's possible activities another.
Level 5: An intriguing option here, and has strong ties with Nintendo. Layton's been on Nintendo platforms for a while.
Koei: Has worked a lot with Nintendo recently - and although Koei's very much multi-plat that doesn't hurt them at all.
Bethesda: The Doom Slayer rumors were sparked by comments and other tidbits that Bethesda reps let out. Also, Doom and Elder Scrolls have had an increased presence on Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Now hold on folks, before we start talking about "locks" let me make the case for Dante from the Devil May Cry TM series.

>Director says before Dante can make it to Smash, fans should ask for DMC on Switch
>A few months later, DMC1 releases on Switch
>A few months after that, DMC2 releases on Switch
>DMC3, Dante's most popular game and the basis for the majority of the franchise is inevitablely going to happen soon.
>DMC5 just won TGS's "Best Action Game" award and is likely to at least be nominated
>DMC is the archetypal action game, and representative of the genre, arguably even moreso than Bayonetta
>Despite the directors denying his involvement, we have already shown that higher-ups can deny claims to Smash and then renege on them
>Capcom hasn't had another DLC character despite both SEGA and Square Enix double dipping
>DMC4 retained popularity for a decade and sold extremely well, with DMC5 surpassing even that and becoming the best selling game in the series

With all this in mind, Dante will absolutely, positively, DEFINITELY, be the final character
My logic is impeccable and my reasoning is infallible.

No, I do not accept constructive criticism.
I'm biased in this case and while I don't think he's a lock or something like that, I honestly think Dante has a good chance. Not for fighter 5, but future DLC.

I don't know if you're talking about fighter 5 when you said he will be the final character or rather you're talking about the absolute last DLC of Ultimate. Maybe it's only me but I think Dante's a character that fits very well as the last DLC, like Bayonetta did in Smash 4. In first place no matter who's announced last because it will bring some controversy due to the fact of being the last character. After that, I think characters like Dante could work really well in that position. He's a popular character, he's a videogame icon (of action games, to be more clear), he would be recognized by probably the most part of the Nintendo/Smash fans even if they only have Nintendo consoles, he would bring hype and cool reactions, and would make people and the media talk.

Of course some people won't like him because the last spot wasn't the character they wanted, and other would have preferred other Capcom reps. But I think Dante would make a good job in disperse the negative reactions thanks to the things I mentioned before.

Besides that, if he gets in, his trailer MUST end with "Super Smash Bros Ultimate featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series". If that doesn't happen I will sell my copy of Ultimate. :p

Anyway he's my most wanted character but I think Resident Evil comes first if we speak about chances among Capcom reps. Dante could work as a fighter 5, 6, 7 or the very last one, of course, but with the announcement of more DLC I believe he has a good chance.
And while I love Bayonetta (as some can deduce from my avatar) I think it's obvious that DMC is the best representative of the genre. I mean, even if you dislike DMC, the first Devil May Cry "created" the genre. You can say that the franchise is the father of hack n slash games and you won't be wrong.

PD: DMC5 is such a good game. GOTY for me, at least for now.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I thought NIS was just a publisher, I didn't know they actually owned anything
The most notable franchise they have is Disgaea

I don't think there's really a chance of any of their stuff getting into smash, but if we're talking about potential 3rd party companies I think they might be worth considering

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't see Dante having that much chance to get in Smash. I think is biggest problem is that he will suffer from concurrence with others Capcom characters. Resident evil and Monster hunter are way bigger than Devil may cry. Even Phoenix Wright, despite having less sales than Devil may cry, I think he will make it in Smash before Dante because of his high popularity in Japan and the fact that he would be more unique. Phoenix Wright is also closer to Nintendo than Dante. (Devil may cry only have these two really lazy ports of the ps2 game).

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I actually think Dante has a chance, but a Resident Evil character would beat him. I don't think we'll see a Monster Hunter as a character, it seems that both Sakurai and Fujioka agree that the best way to represent the series in crossovers is through the monsters themselves.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I actually think Dante has a chance, but a Resident Evil character would beat him. I don't think we'll see a Monster Hunter as a character, it seems that both Sakurai and Fujioka agree that the best way to represent the series in crossovers is through the monsters themselves.
I want Dante (Devil May Cry), along with Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) and Phoenix wright.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
The Edutainment genre hasn't been explored. You know which video game character had a game on the SNES, Gamecube, Wii, and Nintendo DS? A decades old character who's been all over the globe and appeals to children and adults alike. Step aside, Phantom Thieves, for the elusive master class thief, Carmen Sandiego.

I'm joking, but I wouldn't even be mad if by some miracle it happened. She's definitely 'iconic' enough (has a bunch of comics, shows, books, etc.) and has contributed to gaming. The shows were good, too. In the meantime, Joker's red alt will suffice lol.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Okay, so here is an aggregate list of the top 20 video game publishers from the last decade. Based it off Metacritic's publisher scorecard so some of it is a bit fuzzy, like Aksys can sort of double for ArcSystemWorks despite the companies not being related at all:

In Smash (Playable)
Bandai Namco
Capcom
Konami
Microsoft
Nintendo
Sega
Square Enix

In Smash (Non-Playable)
Koei Tecmo
Ubisoft

Not In Smash
Activision Blizzard
Aksys Games
Bethesda
EA
NIS America
Paradox
Sony
Take Two
THQ Nordic
Warner Bros.
XSEED Games/Marvelous USA

Who would people like to see from these companies?

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
It's worth mentioning that Square Enix owns Taito, a classic a hugely influential arcade game developer. I really think they should add Bub & Bob in deference to their legacy. Plus they would make for a super fun, Ice Climbers-style character.

I'm still skeptical about another Western character being added until I'm proven otherwise. I think Banjo was an exception. Not because Sakurai has some ideological opposition against it, just because dealing with Western companies is a lot more work and probably not a priority when there are Japanese alternatives available.

I do think Arc System Works will lend Kunio for inclusion in Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't see Dante having that much chance to get in Smash. I think is biggest problem is that he will suffer from concurrence with others Capcom characters. Resident evil and Monster hunter are way bigger than Devil may cry. Even Phoenix Wright, despite having less sales than Devil may cry, I think he will make it in Smash before Dante because of his high popularity in Japan and the fact that he would be more unique. Phoenix Wright is also closer to Nintendo than Dante. (Devil may cry only have these two really lazy ports of the ps2 game).
About Phoenix Wright being more unique, well, to be fair he would be more original (at least visually speaking) than any character in the roster, not only Dante.
But I think that in terms of moveset potential few characters are close to Dante. As I said before maybe I'm biased but I think it is hard to counter that statement.

About Japan I don't know who's more popular, I guess Phoenix Wright, but Dante has also a good popularity there. If we talk about the Smash fanbase yes, Phoenix Wright is probably the Capcom character with more following even if outside of the Smash bubble he isn't above of Dante or Leon/Jill in terms of popularity. At least from my experience and my perspective.

I'm pretty sure the next Capcom rep will be a RE character. After that and even if Ace Attorney has more history with Nintendo than DMC, I find hard to imagine Sakurai picking Phoenix before Dante. Maybe it's just me :p
And I would be totally okay with Phoenix Wright in Smash, to clarify.

About a Monster Hunter rep, maybe it will happen but I think that Rathalos appearing in the base game along with some music and spirits softly deconfirms a MH rep, at least for Ultimate. But maybe that's just me.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Moveset potential isn't always a 1:1 deal. Look at Bayonetta. She's from a very similar game to DMC and she has an equally massive arsenal of weapons and moves. But it's arguably too much. You can't represent it all in Smash without creating an unbalanced character. So in the end she got a fairly straightforward moveset using only her default weapons and some signatures moves, and a focus on air combos. For Dante I imagine it would end up more or less the same. Potentially you could add a Devil Trigger mechanic as a way for him to access a second moveset. I'm not saying he wouldn't be cool in Smash, I just don't think "moveset potential" is a very strong argument because ultimate, if Sakurai thinks he can make a character work, he will.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think the most likely Capcom rep if we do get another one is Phoenix Wright or an Resident Evil rep (Jill or Leon).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I personality want Dimitri above both, but I am realistic and just gonna expect Byleth instead. I cant see Edelgard make it before them.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Aren't Rabbids like....Ubisoft's mascot? Aside from Ezio & Rayman, I can see them as a viable option for a Ubisoft rep. Pretty sure Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle helped their chances.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aren't Rabbids like....Ubisoft's mascot? Aside from Ezio & Rayman, I can see them as a viable option for a Ubisoft rep.
Do any Rabbids have Spirits and the question still remains whether they deconfirm characters or not and whether Sakurai can upgrade Spirits and Assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom