• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
As I have not seen this posted here, from the Bandana Dee Thread:

You guys are gonna be super happy. One of the largest gaming magazines in Japan had 2 Smash polls; Who is the most desired character, and who is the most expected character. Note: This poll was taken before the direct

The most desired Smash characters in all of Japan are

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Rex
3. Spring Man
4. Mimikyu (rip)
5. Jibanyan

The most expected characters are

1.Rex
2. Bandana Waddle Dee (the poll goes out of it's way to state that Dee's placement comes from the sheer desire from fans to see him in)
3. Spring Man
4. King K. Rool
5. Sora

When people say that Bandana Dee wouldn't be hype, just remember that he's basically Ridley x10 in Japan's Smash community.
So, based on this and after the (great) Direct my guesses:

Very likely:
Bandana Dee (see japanese poll)
new Pokemon (I would like the Guardevoir Leak, at least more than Incineroar, but would prefer Decidueye or Aloalan Pokemon Trainer)
Dixie (unique or echo)
Shadow (echo)
Isabelle (echo)
Impa (echo, Zelda needs more Reps)

Possibly:
Skull Kid (Zelda needs more reps and theirs (slim) evidence)
Geno (still not sure if it's just a bubble in the smash community that will burst eventually, as it's a very obscure character)
Isaac (because of the direct and the stage total, I don't really see a new franchise coming without a stage, but he has a pretty strong following)

DLC:
Rex (& Pyra)
Spring Man

This said, I'm so happy with the LineUp right now, I'll take literally anyone :)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, I have a feeling we may have 84 in the base roster. I like that number because with that Smash out mode, 84 is divisible by 2, 3, and 4, so if the mode is meant to be played with up to 4 people that would be the best number. with the 71 unique character slots in atm(thats counter echos and mii fighters), that leaves us with 13 more characters coming. I feel most of those would be echos as well.

This is my guess on how they would be revealed, and who I would like.

Shantae(end of the august Nindie direct): if she gets in showing her during an Indie showcase is best, and I feel she is the most likely indie character, due to her history with nintendo.
Dixie Kong(echo of diddy with some DK elements) shown in the middle of the normal direct in September. I feel like they will just in the middle show off the end of the K rool trailer, and then Dixie swoops in and saves the 2, like in DKC3.
Gardevoir with Gothitelle echo(end of the september direct) I think a pokemon is happening no matter what, and the one leak seems credible and pointing towards this. Plus they aren't super hype characters so putting them in a non smash direct is great.

These nest bunch are during an October smash focused Direct. Focused on ONline and the single player mode.
Elma(With a stage, and KOS-MOS assist trophy). We know Sakurai likes the Xenoblade series, and I feel rex and pyra are too new for base but are certain for DLC.
Show off 2 Echos: Isabelle, and Medusa.
Geno(end of Direct Surprise, may have a stage too) One of the highest hype characters, would be great to end the direct with him A huge bang to go out on. Also the trailer could seem to be a trailer for the single player mode, but Geno comes in to save the group like he does in his game.

Then I feel November will have 1 last Smash direct, talking about last things, plus providing us how the DLC will work.
Paper Mario(with a stage), rumors list a Mario 2, but that could be code for anyone, but Paper Mario is a highly requested character.
2 more echos: Black Bull(more F zero reps) and Shadow
Donbe and Hikari(Mid direct), got no proof of this but been wanting them for a long time. even made a thread here about it last week(no supporters yet though.) I fun super retro duo i would love to see in this game. EDIT: While I want her badly, I very likely see Issac being here instead. Both I would love to see)
Banjo-Kazooie(End of direct the big surprise, that no one though could happen). How do you beat the hype of Ridley, K Rool, and Geno? with Banjo. You could even move him to the October direct and put Geno here, if they didn't want a minecraft stage maybe ruining the surprise of this.

Then in that last direct they talk about upcoming DLC, ones they started later in the cycle that sadly wasn't finished in time.
Incineroar/Decidueye
Rex+Pyra
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl.
Waluigi

I see them at least talking about 2 of those 4. The 7th gen pokemon is the most likely, and ending with a tease saying Waluigi is also in development, but could mention all 4 as ones in the pipeline, if they are the first 4 coming to the set.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Was playing around with K. Rool. Also threw in the last evil heavyweight I want n Smash.

Last edited:

Zema

Smash Journeyman
What are some characters that you just can't see getting in? Personally, I don't understand the Shadow hype at all. I'd think Classic Sonic has a better shot at being a Sonic echo than Shadow, honestly. I also can't see Bandana Dee getting in the game, either, as I don't think he has moveset potential at all from the little I've seen of him. I also don't like the "he has a spear!" argument. If Sakurai wanted a spear-wielding character in the game, he would've added one from Fire Emblem by now, honestly- after all, any character can wield a spear in those games.

zferolie

Smash Hero
What are some characters that you just can't see getting in? Personally, I don't understand the Shadow hype at all. I'd think Classic Sonic has a better shot at being a Sonic echo than Shadow, honestly. I also can't see Bandana Dee getting in the game, either, as I don't think he has moveset potential at all from the little I've seen of him. I also don't like the "he has a spear!" argument. If Sakurai wanted a spear-wielding character in the game, he would've added one from Fire Emblem by now, honestly- after all, any character can wield a spear in those games.
I myself never got Bandana Dee. He just seems so bland to me. Yeah he has a spear but thats it. Never understood the love for him

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Going with the 84 characters idea, Here's my take.

4 newcomers: Geno, Gardevoir, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid

7 echoes: Gothitelle, Akuma, Shadow the Hedgehog, Viridi, Impa, Dixie Kong, and...... uh...... Well, I would want the 7th to be Twili Midna, but there are probably others that make sense. Isabelle?

zferolie

Smash Hero

7 echoes: Gothitelle, Akuma, Shadow the Hedgehog, Viridi, Impa, Dixie Kong, and...... uh...... Well, I would want the 7th to be Twili Midna, but there are probably others that make sense. Isabelle?

We are at 71 characters, so if you want 84 characters, you could at 2 more echos, or an echo and a new one.

zferolie

Smash Hero

We are at 71 characters, so if you want 84 characters, you could at 2 more echos, or an echo and a new one.

MightyArcaninez

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-8917-7158
Switch FC
SW-1767-8025-0414
Gimme a cool Bow using character. Perhaps to be in line with Smash tradition a Fire Emblem Archer.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Did Bandanna Dee have a lot of support in 2015 or earlier? Because I've never seen as much widespread support as I have the past few months.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Shadow has a better shot in my eyes due to two factors, he is the second most popular character in the Sonic franchise, as said by Sega themselves, and he has the same proportions as Sonic. Classic Sonic is noticeably shorter then Sonic, so they'd have to rework the animations more with Classic Sonic then with Modern Sonic. They could do it, but why go through the trouble when Shadow is more popular and easier?

For me, it's Sceptile. He's a cool Pokémon, yes, but not as popular in actual Pokémon games. I feel he was only wanted to be a final evolution grass starter & Gen 3 rep.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I don't think Shadow is suddenly guaranteed either despite the inclusion of Richter either. Though not because classic sonic being more likely. Canonically, Classic Sonic is much smaller then Modern Sonic is. Classic Sonic would have to be more Toon Link/Young Link-style. Echoes still have to be at least somewhere around the base character's height. If a more classic character gets in as an echo, it's probably Tails. He's still shorter then Sonic but by less then a head that's well within the standard when you consider Peach and Daisy were like that. Meanwhile Classic Sonic just barely reaches Modern Sonic's shoulders. Most of our newcomers so far for the exception of the Belmonts and the Metroid newcomers have been Mii costumes. And Tails received (So did Knuckles and he's not playable, but he still technically got an upgrade to an Assist Trophy) one while Shadow did not.

I am still in the mindset that Shadow's probably the most likely Sonic echo. But I'm not so sure he's a guarantee. What if he was simply replaced with Knuckles and there's no additional Sonic reps at all? We don't know Elec Man's status either but there's no way he's playable since he isn't as popular in the Mega Man series then he is the Sonic series. The Megaman's series own Shadow is probably Zero (Or Bass in some cases but he's in Megaman's Final Smash now), and he's an assist trophy. And Zero might of just simply replaced Elec Man while no additional Mega Man reps were added. The same case could happen for Sonic at least until DLC starts.

I get that Richter's inclusion has got people who want Shadow alot excited, but don't count him as confirmed just yet. There's still reason to doubt.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Personally I would go with Black Shadow over black knight, so F-Zero gets another rep
I can see that. But there's also the issue of
>Shadow the Hedgehog
>Black Shadow
Not insurmountable, by any means. It mostly just comes down to F Zero being a sort of small franchise. I see it around the size of punch-out. Not sure it needs another rep that badly. Plus, an FE villain would be cool to have.

Honestly, though, I would prefer black shadow over isabelle.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I can see that. But there's also the issue of
>Shadow the Hedgehog
>Black Shadow
Not insurmountable, by any means. It mostly just comes down to F Zero being a sort of small franchise. I see it around the size of punch-out. Not sure it needs another rep that badly. Plus, an FE villain would be cool to have.

Honestly, though, I would prefer black shadow over isabelle.
While a Fire Emblem villain would be cool, I think it would ruffle too many feathers. Having another FE character, even as an Echo, could be seen as far too many. I personally think Fire Emblem is done getting newcomers currently.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I would agree maybe not any more new FE characters as new comers, but one as an echo would be ok. There are not a lot of "baddies" represented in Smash in general, especially with FE, so adding Black Knight over as an Ike clone would cover that.

Granted, not expecting this to happen at all, but mainly as a fairly "easy" echo to make both by design and story connection with the FE series.

But yes, no more, that's fair enough with or without BK as an echo.

As to the F-Zero franchise, the only way I can see Black Shadow as an alternate to Cpt. Falcon is if there is a "general" Nintendo Direct about upcoming games and there is going to be a new F-Zero game. Which at some point there is a snippet for Smash that shows him, and maybe others, being echo characters or something.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I honestly hope that if Isabelle gets added she gets a wicked fan made personality like Villager did. I would be laughing for ages.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't believe that leak since I think someone would have found it before now and I don't believe we'll get two unique Kirby newcomers.
I would agree maybe not any more new FE characters as new comers, but one as an echo would be ok. There are not a lot of "baddies" represented in Smash in general, especially with FE, so adding Black Knight over as an Ike clone would cover that.

Granted, not expecting this to happen at all, but mainly as a fairly "easy" echo to make both by design and story connection with the FE series.

But yes, no more, that's fair enough with or without BK as an echo.

As to the F-Zero franchise, the only way I can see Black Shadow as an alternate to Cpt. Falcon is if there is a "general" Nintendo Direct about upcoming games and there is going to be a new F-Zero game. Which at some point there is a snippet for Smash that shows him, and maybe others, being echo characters or something.
We already have a Fire Emblem Echo Fighter with Chrom, I don't think we'll get another one..especially not one that doesn't have a lot of demand.

Black Shadow could come in to give the F-Zero series another easy rep, with K. Rool & Dark Samus coming in, character relevancy isn't important anymore, it's just down if Sakurai wants to.

That said, I don't think either will make it, I think the most likely echoes are Dixie, Shadow, & Ken, and possibly a newcomer echo, like Octolings or Gothitelle if the Gardevoir leak is true.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
True, there is plenty of FE characters in Smash. Thoes characters are the easiest to make Echoes for since they are people with swords. (Minus Robin and Corrin being more unique.)

F-Zero may not have another rep since it hasn't been touched since 2004. Metroid and the DK series has had some recent games, as well as Prime 4 being announced.

Regardless, I think I am in the same boat where I don't expect them to be brought in. If there is future DLC that adds more characters, like in Smash 4, I could get behind that and pay a few bucks for more characters, even if they are just echoes.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
My apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I whipped up a little prediction roster based off what we know and what a lot of us want, with a touch of personal bias.

smashultimate.png

I'm following Verg pretty closely here, by the way, I think he's proven himself. If not, replace Incineroar and Isabelle with some of the more highly requested characters.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
My apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I whipped up a little prediction roster based off what we know and what a lot of us want, with a touch of personal bias. I'm following Verg pretty closely here, by the way, I think he's proven himself. If not, replace Incineroar and Isabelle with some of the more highly requested characters.
No Lloyd, boo.

TBone06

Smash Ace
My apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I whipped up a little prediction roster based off what we know and what a lot of us want, with a touch of personal bias.

View attachment 157820

I'm following Verg pretty closely here, by the way, I think he's proven himself. If not, replace Incineroar and Isabelle with some of the more highly requested characters.
Personally, if that's how the roster turns out, it's perfect in my eyes.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Sakurai will ever make a completely original Smash character. One that is tied entirely to Smash.
I mean, there's Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Master Core, Tabuu, Galleom, Duon, Giga Bowser, and others. But I'm guessing you mean playable characters. I could see it someday, but it's probably on the lower priority end.

Sandbag beats 'em up!

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I mean, there's Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Master Core, Tabuu, Galleom, Duon, Giga Bowser, and others. But I'm guessing you mean playable characters. I could see it someday, but it's probably on the lower priority end.

Sandbag beats 'em up!
I actually had a cute idea for a Sandbag playable character. He'd use a baseball bat and ride around in a little cart.

zerkerxror

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3830-6765
Switch FC
SW-7051-3659-4513
I can totally vouch for Shadow The Hedgehog being in the game, why else would they take him out as an assist trophy and replace him with Knuckles?
Makes sense to add him in as an echo fighter for Sonic.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Who the hell is that
Voice actor for Lloyd in ToS: Dawn of the New World. I have no idea what the context behind "someone else has been opening up my mail" is, though. Can somebody find this conversation on Facebook to prove it's even real?

EDIT: Found the Facebook post.

EDIT2: Going back to this post, it actually seems like he's replying to the first question: "Are you the Brian Beacock?" rather than the question about Lloyd. It would make sense why he's talking about his mail being opened up (somebody hacking/posing as him) if that were true. He's just being cheeky about him being the real deal and isn't making a comment on Lloyd in Smash one way or the other.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I should really really post thjs

Geno art made by senior artist that works for nintendo

The artist saids super Mario RPG was a large topic at the time so felt it was very very approate to draw

It was made September 1 2015.................................before the smash ultimate roster was finalized 2016 is when it got finalized

3 years later this post mysteriously gets deleted

I smell something fishy nintendo you made a Fatal mistake on deleting this (if they did) might be a sign geno pulled threw for smash ultimate

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I really want Incineroar and Gardevoir in the game but we'll just have to wait and see, I also want Starmie back as a pokeball assist, as for echoe fighters the only one I can think of is Fox's dad James McCloud and Slippy Toad as a newcomer but I think he would work better as an assist trophy using his robots from Star Fox Guard.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Not too many people mention a Rhythm Heaven rep when making their newcomer lists. It's a shame, the series is underrated and needs much more representation in smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

View attachment 157820

Your roster is just too amazing to be true. Echo fighters that I actually want and think that make sense in Isabelle, Dixie Kong, and Shadow? Skull Kid, Isaac, and Geno? GODDAMN BANJO??? I'd love this roster to death if this was it. Incineroar I find uninspired, but he could play in a really cool way that I just don't know about (Still prefer Decidueye to him, but again, small price to pay).

Then DLC could include all of the other relevant and newer characters that people want, an ARMS rep, a Xenoblade rep, Bandanna Dee, maybe Chorus Kids, and another third party or two as DLC? Then you've got a roster that would literally be impossible to beat.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Your roster is just too amazing to be true. Echo fighters that I actually want and think that make sense in Isabelle, Dixie Kong, and Shadow? Skull Kid, Isaac, and Geno? GODDAMN BANJO??? I'd love this roster to death if this was it. Incineroar I find uninspired, but he could play in a really cool way that I just don't know about (Still prefer Decidueye to him, but again, small price to pay).

Then DLC could include all of the other relevant and newer characters that people want, an ARMS rep, a Xenoblade rep, Bandanna Dee, maybe Chorus Kids, and another third party or two as DLC? Then you've got a roster that would literally be impossible to beat.
Yeah, like I said, Incineroar and Isabelle are on there because of Vergeben. I think there's plenty of characters, or even just Gen VII reps, that would be better than Incineroar, but there is some slight evidence besides Verg leaning in his direction, like being Ash's choice in the anime just like Greninja was.

But the fact that all of these characters (not all together, but each individually) feel genuinely possible is a testament to Sakurai's team and what we've seen from Ultimate so far. Even if we get none of these characters it is already one of the greatest fighting game rosters of all time.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
You know what I’m wondering? If Verge and Loz just saw/heard info from the two directs, and thus were able to say Skull Kid, Incineroar, and Isabelle and such are in since their assist trophies and poke balls aren’t shown yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom