• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid
New Pokémon
Isaac
A third Mario considering we have 3 Link ( Paper Mario / N64 Mario / Metal or Gold Mario/ Tanuki Mario )
Tails
Geno is looking more likely

Shadow (Echo)
Isabelle (Echo)
Dixie (Echo)
Echo of the new Pokémon (But they're from a different Generation)
Medusa or Viridi (Echo)

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm gonna throw my guesses at popularly requested characters for the newcomers:

Geno
Skull Kid
Isaac
Gen 7 pokemon

Gen 7 pokemon announced during a pokemon direct.

Skull kid starts off a smash direct in october, in which they cover story mode and single player stuff. This ends with Isaac announced.

Geno is at the end of a final direct in December that covers online functionality.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Lol just go to the Animal Crossing official website, first thing your greeted with is a big picture Isabelle on your screen. Then if you scroll down you keep on seeing Isabelle reappear throughout the home page. If that doesn’t say mascot idk what does.
Also, on the homepage, it says 'Isabelle and friends', implying that if you don't know the Animal Crossing characters' names, you'll probably at least know Isabelle's name

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I should put this to attention

I high lighted the important parts

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/

Smash U Info
Anonymous Sun 01 Jul 2018 12:10:05
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario. ( Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 notes: it could be talking about that mysterious second Mario symbol in the music section so maybe it's Geno.)
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

Well....

That...pokemon did survive twice just like skull kid, shadow, and Isabelle

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since third party echoes are a thing now, im honestly expecting at the very least either Ken or Shadow.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Isaac and Geno

Thats what i think we will get from Nintendo in the next Direct.

Together with more characters not from Nintendo!

My particular list is:

Agumon (Second Namco Bandai rep)
Isaac
Geno
Crash Bandicoot
Akuma (Ryu echo)
Rayman
Shadow (Sonic echo)
Steve (from Minecraft)
Banjo & Kazooie
Isabelle (Villager echo)
Kyo (from KOF)
Scorpion (from MK)
Sub-Zero (Scorpion echo)
Waluigi as a Surprise at the end

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I should put this to attention

I high lighted the important parts

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422689663/

Smash U Info
Anonymous Sun 01 Jul 2018 12:10:05
Hi! I was working at CEO this year and I managed to get a copy the demo build used for the tournaments. There were a few interesting things in the code for the character select:
>The Simon Belmont leaker had the Castlevania IP right, but not the character. "Rihita", Richter Belmont's Japanese name, was among those listed.
>"Sirnight", Gardevoir's Japanese name, was among them. Interestingly, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy are all listed with their echo counterparts - "Gothiruselle" (Gothitelle) was underneath her. I presume, then, that Gothitelle is going to be an echo of Gardevoir.
>"Mario2" was listed as a seperate character. I have no idea what this means, but if I had to guess, either Paper Mario or Mario 64 Mario. ( Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 notes: it could be talking about that mysterious second Mario symbol in the music section so maybe it's Geno.)
>"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.
Obviously it's a demo build, so there may be more characters who haven't been added to the select screen code yet.

Well....

That...pokemon did survive twice just like skull kid, shadow, and Isabelle
I'm trying to find some more discussion this, but it looks like people are overall just not giving it attention or are outright calling it fake simply because the guy suggested the Simon Belmont leaker was only partially right.

I and others do think this leak is worth keeping an eye out on. At least until something actually contradicts it (such as seeing Pokeball Gardevoir).

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
As of now, these are the characters I think have the highest chance of getting in:

Isabelle (could go either way)
Geno
Isaac
Skull KId
Bandana Dee
Gen 7 Pokémon
Impa (echo of Sheik)
Dixie (echo of Diddy)
Ken (echo of Ryu)
Shadow (echo of Sonic)
And maybe Jeanne (echo of Bayonetta)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
As of now, these are the characters I think have the highest chance of getting in:

Geno
Isaac
Skull KId
Bandana Dee
Gen 7 Pokémon
Impa (echo of Sheik)
Dixie (echo of Diddy)
Ken (echo of Ryu)
Shadow (echo of Sonic)
I agree with all of this, except for the Gen 7 Pokémon. I kinda think this game started development too early to include a Gen 7 Pokémon rep

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree with all of this, except for the Gen 7 Pokémon. I kinda think this game started development too early to include a Gen 7 Pokémon rep
This game started development closer to Sun and Moon's release than 4 did for X and Y's, but Greninja still happened.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This game started development closer to Sun and Moon's release than 4 did for X and Y's, but Greninja still happened.
But Sakurai was taking a risk with Greninja, right? He didn't know if people would like it. I don't think he'd want to take that risk again, but I could be wrong

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But Sakurai was taking a risk with Greninja, right? He didn't know if people would like it. I don't think he'd want to take that risk again, but I could be wrong
If Greninja wasn't incredibly popular, I'd consider him being apprehensive. But Greninja turned out to be the single most popular Kalos Pokémon. All the more reason to do the same for Alola.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If Greninja wasn't incredibly popular, I'd consider him being apprehensive. But Greninja turned out to be the single most popular Kalos Pokémon. All the more reason to do the same for Alola.
But how could Sakurai know which Alolan Pokémon is the most popular before SM were released?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But how could Sakurai know which Alolan Pokémon is the most popular before SM were released?
He wouldn't need to know. GameFreak would likely give him some options like they did with Greninja. GameFreak knows how to market a Pokémon. Zoroark is the only real flop I can think of. And considering there was more work done on Sun and Moon than there would have been for X and Y, they likely would've had more developed concepts to show off.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
He wouldn't need to know. GameFreak would likely give him some options like they did with Greninja. GameFreak knows how to market a Pokémon. Zoroark is the only real flop I can think of. And considering there was more work done on Sun and Moon than there would have been for X and Y, they likely would've had more developed concepts to show off.
Fair enough. In that case, a Gen 7 starter has the best shot.

But on the same topic, do you think the reason he chose Villager instead of Isabelle was because Isabelle was too new (2012) to be put in Smash 4, since development for Smash 4 probably started in 2011 and Isabelle wasn't in Animal Crossing until 2012? Or do you think he already knew all about her and her potential popularity but thought Villager would be a better pick?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But with this whole Gardevoir and Gothitelle thing, it could be an extendion of the whole "Everyone is here" thing, as well as fan requests. During the ballot, a thing Sakurai probably saw with a lot of Pokemon voted for, with a lot of them being chosen specifically because "This gen has no representation." Sakurai has so far taken fan demand to heart, and Gardevoir and Gothitelle could be his answer to representing all of the generations, with the 7th gen rep being DLC down the line, when he knows for sure who is popular and has the most potential.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
But with this whole Gardevoir and Gothitelle thing, it could be an extendion of the whole "Everyone is here" thing, as well as fan requests. During the ballot, a thing Sakurai probably saw with a lot of Pokemon voted for, with a lot of them being chosen specifically because "This gen has no representation." Sakurai has so far taken fan demand to heart, and Gardevoir and Gothitelle could be his answer to representing all of the generations, with the 7th gen rep being DLC down the line, when he knows for sure who is popular and has the most potential.
Gardevoir would be cool but I don't see this happening. A Gen 7 rep would not be DLC. By that point, it would be a Gen 8 rep.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Unique Fighters:

Bandana Dee
Geno
Rayman
And some retro rep
Incineroar (unfortunately)

Echos

Black Shadow
Dixie
Funky
Isabella
Shadow
Ms PacMan

Those are my predictions post direct

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Unique
(Post picture soon)

Skull kid
Gardevoir (yes I'm taking that leak since it got ritcher correct a month in advanced and I also realized sakurai may put a 3rd gen and 5th gen for high request)
Geno
Banjo and kazooie (or someone else)
(The seventh gen for free dlc)

Echo
Isabelle
Shadow
Dixie kong
Gothitelle

This is based off the leak that gained create thanks to richer Belmont

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
This, but add Lloyd since Namco deserves a 2nd rep too since they're developing the game, and he had a mii costume in Smash 4.
Further evidence that science ought to crossbreed polar bears and pandas to create objectively superior, enlightened beings. +1 for Lloyd.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Geno
Isaac
Skull KId
Bandana Dee
Gen 7 Pokémon
Impa (echo of Sheik)
Dixie (echo of Diddy)
Ken (echo of Ryu)
Shadow (echo of Sonic)
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if these were the final newcomers at all. Though I do think Isabelle will be an echo of Villager.

I would love a Jeanne echo, which isn’t one that’s suggested a lot (for probably obvious reasons lol)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Geno
Isaac
Skull KId
Bandana Dee
Gen 7 Pokémon
Impa (echo of Sheik)
Dixie (echo of Diddy)
Ken (echo of Ryu)
Shadow (echo of Sonic)
I'd add Elma to that list but for the most part I agree, these characters do seem like the front runners.

Though there this is the fact that Vergeben mentioned Minecraft content was in the game, so I'd probably add Banjo & Kazooie to that list too. I think they're a lot more likely than they've ever been at least.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I personally don't believe him. I don't see Final Fantasy getting a second character. A Bandai Namco character could definitely happen, but I've never even heard of "For the Frog the Bell Tolls", though I do recognize Prince Sable as an assist trophy from previous games. Nonetheless, I don't think a character from a series as niche as that has a chance of being a playable character. I don't see Galacta Knight getting in. I think Waddle Dee has a better chance. I also don't think Monster Hunter is gonna get a playable character. I think the dragon is all we'll get. I also don't think we're gonna get a second character from FE. I think Chrom was it. Ken, Shadow, Isabelle and Isaac seem to have the best shot in my opinion, and I don't see us getting any other characters from his list aside from those four. So no, I don't believe him, until he starts getting stuff right like Vergen has.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Galacta Knight already being an alternate costume for Metaknight is enough to debunk this one for me. A lot of it seems unlikely, but that is the part that tells me it's not true.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
Final Prediction:

68 Gardevoir (CEO Datamine Leak; Gen III)
68e Gothitelle (CEO Datamine Leak; Gen V)
69 Skull Kid (Missing Assist Trophy)
16e Impa (Popular Ballot Vote)
45e Isabelle (Missing Assist Trophy)
36e Dixie Kong (Popular Ballot Vote)
38e Shadow (Missing Assist Trophy)
60e Ken (Increase in Street Fighter Representation/Trophy in Smash DLC)
70 Geno (Popular Ballot Vote)

*Nintendo Direct in September
*Smash Direct in October focusing on modes especially “Spirits” (50 Fact Extravaganza)
*November focuses on Pokémon Let’s Go
*Updates on Website/Game releases in December

Last edited:

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
Galacta Knight already being an alternate costume for Metaknight is enough to debunk this one for me. A lot of it seems unlikely, but that is the part that tells me it's not true.
Yeah, if they removed Samus's Dark Samus alt because it's an echo, I don't see why they'd keep MK's Galacta alt. Just seems too inconsistent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Final Prediction:

68 Gardevoir (CEO Datamine Leak; Gen III)
68e Gothitelle (CEO Datamine Leak; Gen V)
69 Skull Kid (Missing Assist Trophy)
16e Impa (Popular Ballot Vote)
45e Isabelle (Missing Assist Trophy)
36e Dixie Kong (Popular Ballot Vote)
38e Shadow (Missing Assist Trophy)
60e Ken (Increase in Street Fighter Representation/Trophy in Smash DLC)
70 Geno (Popular Ballot Vote)

*Nintendo Direct in September
*Last Smash Direct in October for the base game focusing on modes especially “Spirits” (50 Fact Extravaganza)
*November focuses on Pokémon Let’s Go Series
*December the Game Releases
But what reason is there to believe the datamine "leak?"

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, if they removed Samus's Dark Samus alt because it's an echo, I don't see why they'd keep MK's Galacta alt. Just seems too inconsistent.
Heck, they even made the Galacta alts mask have the same sort of design when it came to the eye area.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
But what reason is there to believe the datamine "leak?"
Other than that it had Richter Belmont predicted as early as July 1st, there’s really nothing to believe especially with Pokémon picks such as Gardevoir and Gothitelle. I guess this is more of a wait and see type situation especially with Gardevoir missing from the Pokémon items, and the fact that we have to narrow down our lists since we have a “few” necomers left which I assume is for 3 unique newcomers.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Other than that it had Richter Belmont predicted as early as July 1st, there’s really nothing to believe especially with Pokémon picks such as Gardevoir and Gothitelle. I guess this is more of a wait and see type situation especially with Gardevoir missing from the Pokémon items, and the fact that we have to narrow down our lists since we have a “few” necomers left which I assume is for 3 unique newcomers.
He also did guess Dark Samus. I find the fact that they did not follow it up with Chrom(Which ever leak with Dark Samus seemed to have) makes this leak more believable. He also got K.Rool right. Really, this leak took so many risks with its characters, and the fact that it still has merit really makes this leak more notable.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Prediction:

Two Directs (one September, another October-December). One of them could be part of a more general Direct, but at least one is another dedicated Smash Direct.

First Direct:
- Opens with a new Pokemon, most likely Gen VII
- Adds Isabelle and Dixie Kong as Echoes
- We get information on the story/adventure/spirits mode
- Ends with Banjo & Kazooie

Second Direct:
- Opens with Isaac
- Shadow and Ken revealed as third-party Echo Fighters, and the final two
- Information on online multiplayer and any other remaining game modes (All-Star, Events, Stadium, etc.)
- Ends with Geno

Although I'm sure Sakurai will somehow throw in some curveball character no one wanted but everyone loves. The fact that all of this feels like a real possibility really speaks to how wish-fulfilling Ultimate has been so far.

TBone06

Smash Ace
As well as Ike's Chrom alt. But I couldn't agree more, you worded it perfectly.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
All this discussion and speculation is making me excited because I feel like there's probably someone none of us actually expect realistically that'll be thrown in out of left field.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
They're the one that said Monster Hunter wasn't revealed because they hadn't been finished yet. Sounds like a load of baloney.

I'd imagine four months before release every character is finished at this point. (or at least be in a presentable form) At this stage of development they'll likely be bug fixing and making minor changes before going gold.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Fellas, I just had a huge sudden realization. All of the third party characters have been on the back of the box art for the last two games. Meaning that depending on when the box art is made and shown to the public, Banjo Kazooie might not be the final character revealed, since the box art might be already known by then.

I posted this in the Banjo thread, but now I’m worried about other third party choices. Banjo, Rayman, Geno, etc would most likely be on the back of the box art. Although one could argue that given the amount of third party characters there are now, they can’t all be on the back of the box art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom