• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Best guess

Unique

Geno
Skull kid (cautiously optimistic due to Ashley)
Bandana dee
Gen 7 Pokémon rep
Lloyd or heihachi for the second Namco rep
Rythmn heaven rep (the wtf rep) (oh and particually karate man from the possible hint from the k rool trailer)

Possibilities
Viridi
Elma
Monster hunter (it's being presented so maybe a character as well)
Captain toad (rememeber the toon link situation back in smash 4)
Banjo and kazooie (if not base then dlc)

Echo

Ken or/and akuma :ultryu:
Shadow :ultsonic:
Isabelle :ultvillager:
Black knight :ultike:

Dixie kong :ultdiddy: (up B will be :ultdk: but with her hair)

Medusa :ultpalutena:

Not all will get in but it's my best guess's

Last edited:

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
The most likely characters at this point for non echo newcomers in my opinion are Isaac, Geno/final fantasy character, and Bandana Dee. For echoes I'd say shadow is a given.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
There are a couple more that I'm on the fence with, but I'm going to go ahead and say I'm confident that Geno, Skull Kid, Isabelle, Shadow, and a Gen 7 Pokemon will all be playable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All the unique newcomer characters we get from now on for the base roster will definitely be big-time popular characters.

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
All the unique characters we get from now on for the base roster will definitely be big-time popular characters.
Sakurai indicated in the E3 direct that the base roster for this game would probably just be the original 8 from Smash 64.

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I've been taking a lot of notes on this and I'd like to post them here for who I believe are the MOST likely newcomers, both unique and echoes. As many have guessed, I will also guess 4 more unique newcomers are left, but I believe there may also be a fifth joke/classic character that I won't be able to guess. Anyway, here it is:

Geno: I think this one has been explained enough by other people, but I'll explain again. Geno has gotten nearly as much requests as Ridley and K Rool ever since Brawl was released. Sakurai has stated in interviews he is aware of the requests. Sakurai said in an interview he wanted to include Geno in smash ever since Brawl. Sakurai included a Geno mii costume in Smash 4 to make up for him not being in that game. Square Enix doesn't seem to mind giving Sakurai legal rights to use Geno considering he got to make a mii costume of him. Every third party except Enix and Namco, at this point, have 2 reps. Geno would be a perfect 2nd rep for Enix and would fit the theme of heavy fanservice, especially since Sakurai himself wants him in Smash.

Lloyd: Many believe we'd get Heihaichi as a 2nd Namco rep, but I don't believe that is the case. Sakurai said previously that he did want Heihaichi in Smash 4, but he couldn't come up with a good moveset for him in Smash and also that he seemed like a poor choice considering he dies in the most recent Tekken game. On the other hand, Lloyd is a sort of mascot for the Tales Of. franchise and his game is perhaps the most memorable and praised game in the series. In fac,t Lloyd's game was first on the Gamecube. Additionally, he has received so many requests that he got a mii costume in Smash 4. He'd be a perfect 2nd rep for Namco and also fit the theme for fanservice in Smash Ultimate.

Skull Kid: Zelda has been sorely in need of a cool new rep outside of Link, Gannondorf and Zelda for a while now. Skull Kid is perhaps the most popular villain from the Zelda franchise outside of Gannondorf and Vaati. In fact, I believe that Skull Kid is the most requested Zelda character to be added to Smash. He was heavily requested before he was deconfirmed in Smash 4. Additionally, there's now a "Moon" assist trophy in Smash Ultimate which mysteriously doesn't include Skull Kid. Skull Kid's absence is certainly noteworthy considering how popular he is among fans. There was also a Majora's Mask mii accessory in Smash 4. And perhaps the biggest point is that leaker LoZ18 who LEAKED the August direct, that different modes would be shown, and that K. Rool would be revealed in it (after having already leaked who would be shown at the E3 presentation) said that Skull Kid was strongly implied to be playable.

7th Gen Pokemon (Decidueye or Incineroar): Every smash game in the past has added a new pokemon character as a unique fighter. Additionally, Vergeben, who has leaked many things correctly about Ultimate, said that there will be a 7th gen pokemon playable who isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu (deconfirmed now to add credibility) and Lycanroc. He said that only one out of his sources have told him who it is and that they said it is Incineroar. He specified that he's not sure it's Incinreroar and doesn't want to say that until all of his sources agree on it. I believe Decidueye should be considered just as likely in the case that Vergeben's sources are wrong about him not being the fighter considering how popular Decidueye is.

Echo fighters:

Isabelle: Isabelle was leaked by Vergeben around the same time he leaked Simon (although admittedly a few weeks later). He said that all of his sources agree that she is playable but didn't specify if she was unique or an echo. Additionally, Animal Crossing New Leaf was one of the top-selling 3ds titles out of the entire library. Isabelle also got a mii costume in smash 4 (seeing a trend?), and has been mysteriously absent as an assist trophy in all of the smash ultimate trailers. Just today, actually, Vergeben confirmed on Reddit that one of his sources got back to him and said Isabelle will be an echo. I personally believe this is true, also, because she doesn't do a whole lot in her game and echo'ing Villager would make sense as she, too, is a villager in the New Leaf town.

Shadow: Alright, this one hasn't been leaked, but I think it's pretty darn obvious and apparently so do a lot of others. Shadow was one of the most advertised Assist Trophies in previous games and was even in the intro of Smash Bros. for Wii U, yet he hasn't been shown in any of the Ultimate trailers at all and isn't in Green Hill Zone either. Shadow would also make for an incredibly easy Echo fighter for Sakurai to include, and he is also oa highly requested fighter.

Ken (Capcom), Ms. Pacman (Namco), Zack (Square Enix): Since Sega and Konami would both have an echo figher, assuming Shadow gets added, it would only make sense for Capcom, Namco and Enix to get echo fighters as well. Both echo fighter reveal segments have only had gameplay trailers and no cinematic trailers, so I could see these being revealed at the same time. This would give each third party equal representation, and simply seem like easy options for Sakurai. I was a bit hesitant on Ms. Pacman, but that simply seems the easiest.

If anybody would like to add to my notes, go ahead. I tried to make multiple points for each inclusion, with only the last batch of echoes feeling like a slight stretch. The rest of the characters I feel are incredibly likely.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
A lot of people have been mentioning Ken as an Echo for Ryu, but honestly I feel like Akuma may be more likely, especially given his relative prominence in Street Fighter material (including crossovers, most recently Tekken) as well as Ultimate's apparent narrative of heroes vs. villains/rivals. Plus with Bandai Namco at the helm, I feel almost convinced that Heihachi is going to make a playable appearance - and if that winds up being true, Akuma would be even more likely to make it to recreate the Heihachi vs. Akuma hype from Tekken.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Just a super random thought that came on my mind right now (and I'm honestly scared of XD)
Since it seems that third parties are getting newcomers... what if SEGA brings Miku from Vocaloid in Smash?!? -.-
It would be the WiiFit Trainer of this generation, but I'm not really sure about who's holding the copyrights, as far as I know Sega is only involved in making her games.

By the way, I'm not saying that I want her, though, it would be an unexpected big name that for sure would generate a lot of noise on the web, and would attract the attentions of people from outside the Smash core fandom (even though it would be mostly the Japanese audience)... so, while it's incredibly unlikely, it's not completely out of question IMO.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A lot of people have been mentioning Ken as an Echo for Ryu, but honestly I feel like Akuma may be more likely, especially given his relative prominence in Street Fighter material (including crossovers, most recently Tekken) as well as Ultimate's apparent narrative of heroes vs. villains/rivals. Plus with Bandai Namco at the helm, I feel almost convinced that Heihachi is going to make a playable appearance - and if that winds up being true, Akuma would be even more likely to make it to recreate the Heihachi vs. Akuma hype from Tekken.
Ken makes more sense to be a clone of Ryu because that's what he was in the first couple of Street Fighter games. He was the original clone.

gurtbilbo

Smash Rookie
I can’t be the only one that really struggles when it comes to separating characters you actually want to characters that I think will actually make it in when doing roster predictions? For example the only characters left I really want in are;
• Decidueye/ Lycanroc/ Silvally (I’d be happy with any as the new pokerep)
• Dillon - Love the rolling western games and he’s not been a victim of the assist trophy massacre as of yet but I doubt he has a real shot!
• Rex and Pyra - love the Xenoblade games but feel they are more likely to be DLC
• Springman - same as Rex and Pyra
• Impa - been asking for her since melee and now with echo fighters I feel her chances are better than ever!
• Dixie kong - same as impa!

Yet characters I feel are probably going to be in are more like
• Isabelle
• Geno
• Shadow
• Bandana Dee

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think that it's more about how different they play. If they have even a single move that behaves differently, then they aren't echo characters anymore.
This is why Doc. Mario is not considered an echo of Mario, despite using basically the same model as him.
See Chrom.

Graizen

Smash Champion
People are sleeping on Mortal Kombat!
In my opinion Mortal Kombat is as huge as Street Fighter, and we already have Ryu in the game.
A Ninja from Mortal Kombat like Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be great, and a good reason to have another Echo Fighter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
See Chrom.
Besides that, let's almost remember that was more of what happened in 4. Besides, Bill isn't perfect(as I said before).

However, Chrom's moves are also from a character with the same build, so it seems more like "low effort" is a focus on how easy they should be to make.

In my opinion Mortal Kombat is as huge as Street Fighter, and we already have Ryu in the game.
A Ninja from Mortal Kombat like Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be great, and a good reason to have another Echo Fighter.

It has no popularity in Japan and is often banned there. That might honestly keep it from happening.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I would say "they don;t want beloved Nintendo characters getting mangled" but recent trailers have shown otherwise...

RIP Mario, Megaman, Luigi and King DDD.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I would say "they don;t want beloved Nintendo characters getting mangled" but recent trailers have shown otherwise...

RIP Mario, Megaman, Luigi and King DDD.
Actualy... think about it.

Scorpion killing someone like Link using a Fatalitie!
Thats a good reveal trailer for a Mortal Kombat character.
(but less brutal)

They are killing alot of characters on the trailers.
Thats not a problem anymore.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd: Many believe we'd get Heihaichi as a 2nd Namco rep, but I don't believe that is the case. Sakurai said previously that he did want Heihaichi in Smash 4, but he couldn't come up with a good moveset for him in Smash and also that he seemed like a poor choice considering he dies in the most recent Tekken game. On the other hand, Lloyd is a sort of mascot for the Tales Of. franchise and his game is perhaps the most memorable and praised game in the series. In fac,t Lloyd's game was first on the Gamecube. Additionally, he has received so many requests that he got a mii costume in Smash 4. He'd be a perfect 2nd rep for Namco and also fit the theme for fanservice in Smash Ultimate.
My man!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I think it's almost impossible to implement a mortal kombat character without making it m rated

Bayonetta was to simply not go to naked when she used her hair for attacks

grizby2

Smash Lord
I pick Geno to be the next big whammy reveal. That's the only other character that can create as big as a wave that Ridley or k rool made.

And after seeing shovel Knight as an assist trophy, I'm hoping that makes room for shantea to be the "indie party crasher" of smash.v
Also I agree that Shadow is most likely an echo fighter by now, given what happened to dark Samus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How is it impossible?
Just dont do brutal things in the Fatalitie, simple as that.
It's definitely not impossible. Ridley proves that. But it not being liked in Japan as well as the newer games being banned there is a major hurdle to deal with.

Though at least for Little Mac, that didn't matter, but his games were simply barely put in Japan, not outright banned from being released there due to the extreme violence.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Who I believe will happen:

- Gen 7 pokemon
- Skull Kid
- Geno (possibly)

- Dixie, as either a semi-clone or echo

Beyond that I have no idea about anyone else.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Perhaps Majora itself can be a boss, but that would not necessarily mean that Skull Kid is not a character.
Has anyone thought that maybe Skull Kid hasn't been revealed because he's a boss?
I actually thought of this, too.
A trailer where we see Young Link's final smash turns him into Fierce Deity to do an attack, then Skull Kid is revealed and we get to see one of the final forms of Majora as a boss fight on a boss stage (similar to Rathalos' separate boss stage and the Dracula boss stage that isn't Dracula's Castle). It would make for a neat Majora's Mask-themed trailer.

toonito

Smash Ace
my predictions

Dixie Kong
Rhythm Heaven
Gen 7 Pokemon: One of these = Decidueye, Incineroar, Necrozma, Buzzwole. I've soured on Lycanroc since all but one Pokemon in Smash stand on two feet.
Mach Rider
Geno
Jin/Heihachi/Kazuya from Tekken or Lloyd Irving (I've warmed up to Lloyd)
Bandana Dee
Isabelle
Teacher aka Byleth (FE 3 Houses)
Shadow
Ken - **** it im all in that he'll make the cut

I'm not yet sold on Skull Kid I'd have to see the next Direct with Smash news.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I gave my predictions a bit more thought today and thought about the echo situation. These are the newcomers I'm reasonably confident in now:

Bandana Dee: He seems really popular all around the world, and I know that he placed particularly well in some specific online polls. If I remember correctly, he was right behind K. Rool, Wolf, and Snake for one of the bigger ones. Plus, he's a Sakurai creation, so I'd expect him to like the idea.

Skull Kid: He's a newcomer that's been requested for a long time. He placed #1 in a poll hosted by VGTribune, edging out Mega Man at the end. The Youtuber RogersBase ended up tweeting the results to Sakurai, so he's probably aware. Plus, seeing that this game is really catering to fans, I bet that Sakurai knows people may be upset that half the Zelda roster is Link. Plus, I'm on that Loz18 bandwagon lol.

Incineroar: I was betting on Mimikyu, but Incineroar also seems pretty likely. Ash is getting on in the anime, and he was the rivals main Pokemon in the most recent movie. His design screams "Smash", and he would fit perfectly. Decidueye doesn't stand out too much in a roster with multiple archers, and Lycanroc never seemed like an obvious pick to me. I think there's also a chance of an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole, seeing how unique they are. I'm a huge Pokemon fan, so I don't mind who gets in too much. If I had to choose, I'd love to see Necrozma or an Ultra Beast.

Rhythm Heaven: Possibly the most slept-on franchise in Smash. I was very confident on the Chorus Kids, but now I just think the series is getting a rep in general. I doubt Sakurai will ignore the franchise after telling the RH developers that they'd get the Chorus Kids in SSB4 and then taking them out (probably due to technical limitations). That must be really disappointing for a small-scale developer, and I question if Sakurai would do that. I also question if Chorus Kids will work on the Switch - like having 24 on Battlefield in 8-Player Smash with Stage Morph and items on. That's why I'm just predicting a RH rep in general.

Geno: Cloud is already in, and Sakurai's said that Geno could be an interesting fighter. It may not happen because Square seems to be pretty hard to work with, but I think that his chances are higher than ever. I personally don't understand the hype, but that could be because I'm 21 and never grew up with SMRPG.

Other characters that I think stand a decent chance: Elma, Isaac, Rayman.
Echoes: I expect Shadow, Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Ken/Akuma, and maybe Octolings.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I gave my predictions a bit more thought today and thought about the echo situation. These are the newcomers I'm reasonably confident in now:

Bandana Dee: He seems really popular all around the world, and I know that he placed particularly well in some specific online polls. If I remember correctly, he was right behind K. Rool, Wolf, and Snake for one of the bigger ones. Plus, he's a Sakurai creation, so I'd expect him to like the idea.

Skull Kid: He's a newcomer that's been requested for a long time. He placed #1 in a poll hosted by VGTribune, edging out Mega Man at the end. The Youtuber RogersBase ended up tweeting the results to Sakurai, so he's probably aware. Plus, seeing that this game is really catering to fans, I bet that Sakurai knows people may be upset that half the Zelda roster is Link. Plus, I'm on that Loz18 bandwagon lol.

Incineroar: I was betting on Mimikyu, but Incineroar also seems pretty likely. Ash is getting on in the anime, and he was the rivals main Pokemon in the most recent movie. His design screams "Smash", and he would fit perfectly. Decidueye doesn't stand out too much in a roster with multiple archers, and Lycanroc never seemed like an obvious pick to me. I think there's also a chance of an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole, seeing how unique they are. I'm a huge Pokemon fan, so I don't mind who gets in too much. If I had to choose, I'd love to see Necrozma or an Ultra Beast.

Rhythm Heaven: Possibly the most slept-on franchise in Smash. I was very confident on the Chorus Kids, but now I just think the series is getting a rep in general. I doubt Sakurai will ignore the franchise after telling the RH developers that they'd get the Chorus Kids in SSB4 and then taking them out (probably due to technical limitations). That must be really disappointing for a small-scale developer, and I question if Sakurai would do that. I also question if Chorus Kids will work on the Switch - like having 24 on Battlefield in 8-Player Smash with Stage Morph and items on. That's why I'm just predicting a RH rep in general.

Geno: Cloud is already in, and Sakurai's said that Geno could be an interesting fighter. It may not happen because Square seems to be pretty hard to work with, but I think that his chances are higher than ever. I personally don't understand the hype, but that could be because I'm 21 and never grew up with SMRPG.

Other characters that I think stand a decent chance: Elma, Isaac, Rayman.
Echoes: I expect Shadow, Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Ken/Akuma, and maybe Octolings.
Take Incineroar and Elma off there and you got my dream roster.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Newcomers: Skull Kid, Pokemon, Geno.

Echoes: Medusa, Malos, Black Knight, Shadow, Dixie(?)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Good realization however I'm sure we are getting more than 3

84 is probably the real correct number that number is also divisible by 2,3 and 4
Isn't it more likely that Smashdown will just end when there aren't enough characters left for players? If it requires a certain number of characters then you wouldn't be able to play the mode until you unlocked every character. (and adding dlc characters later would be next to impossible)

It seems a lot more practical to not have the mode tied to how many characters are available.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
My guesses for newcomers are Geno, Skull Kid, Medusa, Mona, new Pokemon, Bandana Dee, Hilda, Dry Bowser, Elma, Dunban, Shadow, and hopefully Isaac being added to promote a new upcoming Golden Sun game along with Felix as a echo.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
My guesses for newcomers are Geno, Skull Kid, Medusa, Mona, new Pokemon, Bandana Dee, Hilda, Dry Bowser, Elma, Dunban, Shadow, and hopefully Isaac being added to promote a new upcoming Golden Sun game along with Felix as a echo.
I can see most of these having a chance, but why do you think Mona and Dunban are likely?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only character I'd be surprised by their absence at this point is Isabelle Echo or no.
I don't know what to believe with all the current rumors that survived the direct so I'll just say one or more Pokemon.

Bandanna Waddle Dee (Who'll probably just be Waddle Dee) is my borderline pick as only the top Ballot picks will get in (as seen with Chrom and Dark Samus getting in over Walugi & Ashley [not "stolen slots" just how the workload goes]) and Bandanna Dee has a moveset just about ready to go, but one that hasn't been balanced for multiplayer.

Geno is my pick for the final (unique) third party but it comes with the caveat that Square are difficult to work with at times. While Namco treats it's whole Arcade line-up as the Pac-Man universe and Capcom lets Nintendo kill off it's old Mascot to make their villains scarier Square doesn't let them have more than the bare minimum of music (which Nintendo skirted around by getting the full FF7 victory theme). The main thing in his favor is that Geno costume. Lets hope it pays off.

To recap before the Echos: Four more unique characters withe them being Isabelle (maybe), Pokemon, Bandanna Waddle Dee and Geno

Shadow the Hedgehog and Ken the Shotoclone are seeming really likely in the absence of the assist trophy and in light of Richter. I'm expecting them to ge their own trailer where the butt in on a Sonic vs Ryu fight if they are in.

With the pattern of missing alt colors, I'm predicting Hilda as an Echo of the new Zelda (especially when the keep saying she's the Link Between Worlds version despite taking cues from Link to the Past Zelda).

I'm not certain of it but I could see Impa representing Skyward Sword as a Sheik Echo.

Given it has happened before (and she's the only one left) Id like to see Roll as a Mega Man Echo, even if it's unlikley

I hope the Wooly World stage isn't gone for good as where would Yarn Yoshi fight?

After Chrom, appropriately enough, changed everything we thought we knew about Echos, I'm feeling much better about Dixie as a Diddy Echo. Just as long as she uses her hair rather than a non-canon jetpack and has her own dash attack it will be cool.

I could see Medusa working well as a Palutena Echo.

And last, kinda out there choice, Tetra as an Echo of Toon Link.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I can see most of these having a chance, but why do you think Mona and Dunban are likely?
Mona has yet to be included in Smash yet and Ashley is still the assist trophy and think Mona whom is like the second main character of Warioware besides Wario himself will be included in Smash Ultimate.

Dunban.. Idk, hes just so cool in Xenoblade and he can use the monado like Shulk.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Geno: Like Ridley and K.Rool, Geno has had a large following ever since the pre Brawl days and while it might have fallen off a bit, I'm confident that he did very well in the ballot. When you see that other characters like the Inklings and K.Rool made the jump from Mii costumes to fully playable it becomes obvious that Sakurai is using the ballot to pick characters for this game. Not to mention that Sakurai himself has wanted Geno in the game previously and with Nintendo and Square on good terms it seems like his time has finally come.

Skull Kid: There are whole bunch of minor hints for Skull Kid that on their own don't mean much but together build a compelling case for the character. There's the fact he has survived two Assist Trophy genocides, the Moon seemingly taking over his position as the Majora's Mask AT while not including him at all, a prominent leaker claiming he might be playable and even suspicious furniture choices during the Direct (I think this one is a reach but it's fun regardless). Combine this with his potentially good showing in the Ballot and he's suddenly become a front runner.

Bandanna Dee: Another very popular character that has built up a large following over the course of several years. He likely performed extremely well in the Ballot and the Kirby series hasn't had a newcomer in a while.

Rayman: Honestly this slot could go to a number of Third Party characters Like Crash, Heihachi or a Monster Hunter. The reason I chose Rayman was due to the cutoff date for character inclusions. When the roster was decided in early 2016, Rayman was a highly requested character, Mario x Rabbids was in production so we know Nintendo and Ubisoft were getting along at this time and Rayman himself was a bit more relevant at the time. This would also benefit Ubisoft as it would allow them to include the Rabbids as an AT or as a part of Rayman's moveset so they can promote their latest game.

Echo Fighters

Ken Masters: Ken is the original fighting game clone and by far the most logical pick for an echo fighter. You could make a case for Akuma but he would feel gimped without access to Demon Flips and teleports.

Shadow: His AT is still missing in action and now we know that Echo Fighters don't need to match their original in terms of specials. This means you could swap Sonic's Up-B for Mewtwo's and it would be more fitting for the character. Not only that but Dark Samus has shown us that echoes can have completely different idle and movement animations so that boosts his chances even further.

Isabelle: Highly requested but I can't see her as anything but an Echo. Villager manages to capture most of what Animal Crossing is about on his own so I see no harm in having Isabelle be an Echo.

Medusa: With the death of customs, Palutena lost a ton of unique specials that would just go to waste so what better way of using them than giving them to someone else. This one really pushes the boundaries of what an Echo actually is but since they all originated from Palutena I still think it counts and the workload wouldn't be to different either.

Honourable Mentions

Gen 7 Pokemon
Heihachi Mishima
Dr. Eggman
Issac
Black Shadow (Echo)
Dixie Kong (Echo)
Ninten (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
With a Digimon game on the Switch and the lack of Virtual Pet representation, i realy think Agumon has a good chance now.
Even more than Heihachi.

And another 3 characters i think have a good chance are :

Crash Bandicoot
Mascot famous at levels of Mario and Sonic, is no longer stuck to the Playstation.

Steve from Minecraft
The biggest and most famous game of the last times, it exists in almost all the recent platforms of Nintendo.

Kyo Kusanagi from KOF
SNK has been supporting Nintendo with games virtually every week, not to mention SNK's birthday celebration present only on Nintendo. And also the game SNK Heroines.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Geno: Like Ridley and K.Rool, Geno has had a large following ever since the pre Brawl days and while it might have fallen off a bit, I'm confident that he did very well in the ballot. When you see that other characters like the Inklings and K.Rool made the jump from Mii costumes to fully playable it becomes obvious that Sakurai is using the ballot to pick characters for this game. Not to mention that Sakurai himself has wanted Geno in the game previously and with Nintendo and Square on good terms it seems like his time has finally come.

Skull Kid: There are whole bunch of minor hints for Skull Kid that on their own don't mean much but together build a compelling case for the character. There's the fact he has survived two Assist Trophy genocides, the Moon seemingly taking over his position as the Majora's Mask AT while not including him at all, a prominent leaker claiming he might be playable and even suspicious furniture choices during the Direct (I think this one is a reach but it's fun regardless). Combine this with his potentially good showing in the Ballot and he's suddenly become a front runner.

Bandanna Dee: Another very popular character that has built up a large following over the course of several years. He likely performed extremely well in the Ballot and the Kirby series hasn't had a newcomer in a while.

Rayman: Honestly this slot could go to a number of Third Party characters Like Crash, Heihachi or a Monster Hunter. The reason I chose Rayman was due to the cutoff date for character inclusions. When the roster was decided in early 2016, Rayman was a highly requested character, Mario x Rabbids was in production so we know Nintendo and Ubisoft were getting along at this time and Rayman himself was a bit more relevant at the time. This would also benefit Ubisoft as it would allow them to include the Rabbids as an AT or as a part of Rayman's moveset so they can promote their latest game.

Echo Fighters

Ken Masters: Ken is the original fighting game clone and by far the most logical pick for an echo fighter. You could make a case for Akuma but he would feel gimped without access to Demon Flips and teleports.

Shadow: His AT is still missing in action and now we know that Echo Fighters don't need to match their original in terms of specials. This means you could swap Sonic's Up-B for Mewtwo's and it would be more fitting for the character. Not only that but Dark Samus has shown us that echoes can have completely different idle and movement animations so that boosts his chances even further.

Isabelle: Highly requested but I can't see her as anything but an Echo. Villager manages to capture most of what Animal Crossing is about on his own so I see no harm in having Isabelle be an Echo.

Medusa: With the death of customs, Palutena lost a ton of unique specials that would just go to waste so what better way of using them than giving them to someone else. This one really pushes the boundaries of what an Echo actually is but since they all originated from Palutena I still think it counts and the workload wouldn't be to different either.

Honourable Mentions

Gen 7 Pokemon
Heihachi Mishima
Dr. Eggman
Issac
Black Shadow (Echo)
Dixie Kong (Echo)
Ninten (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)
That's incredible

Only rayman is not in my prediction

And it could go either way with Ken or akuma for a echo

Although black knight from fire emblem could be a under estimated one since he could be a Ike echo and he said another one for the costume theory (even though takamaru knuckles and Ashley put a dent in that theory)

I would say monster hunter but just because it's being presented doesn't mean we will get a character from it
(As a matter of fact we have a few stages that doesn't involve a playable character in this game and won't)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom