• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Hi. I wanted to share my top ten most wanted characters, by sharing a list that showed that there really was nobody left to put into this game. With a few exceptions, Nintendo ran out of good characters to add before Brawl. Now y’all are just scraping the bottom of the barrel. You know why so many people wanted Ridley and K. Rool? Not because they’re great and relevant characters, but because that’s really all Nintendo had left.
If you’re joking: good one
If you’re not: did you join smash boards just to be negative or...? Oh well enjoy ultimate when it comes out. Unless you don’t want to buy it. Enjoy brawl then I guess.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
You also have to remember that the ballot was needed for something. And I highly doubt it was just for Bayonetta. King K. Rool, Simon, Ridley, and even the Inklings were really popular on the ballot. Even popular characters who became assists like Shovel Knight and Bomberman show that Sakurai is aware of how popular they are. According to a lot of Ballot polls (especially SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo ’s) characters like Isaac, Geno, BWD, and B&K are super popular among fans and are right behind King K. Rool and Ridley, in terms of popularity.

You also have to look at how iconic a characteristic p is. Isaac is the face of the Golden Sun series, one of the most commercially and critically successful games on the GBA. Banjo and Kazooie were once one of the big names for Nintendo, being one of the stars on the N64. Skull Kid is one of the most recognizable villains of the LoZ series.

Smash has focused on recent characters since Melee and I think Sakurai is focusing on characters that Nintendo and Smash fans have been clamoring for for years.
Out of the top ten most popular on SSB4Dojo's data that haven't been added or deconfirmed, we have:
1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman

If we are going by popularity we can assume the final few are going to be in this list if it's as accurate as it has been so far.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Out of the top ten most popular on SSB4Dojo's data that haven't been added or deconfirmed, we have:
1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman

If we are going by popularity we can assume the final few are going to be in this list if it's as accurate as it has been so far.
What was the list originally?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Th4pdsrzs-6X303PPpw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E

This is the list. I only updated the colors on who has been confirmed and who has been deconfirmed.

Honestly I think this is a very reliable list. Barring returning characters, they have already out some of the top choices in the top twenty. Adding back all the returning characters satisfied a good chunk of what people wanted, leaving the new top 10 list you made.

The only caveat I see is Shantae. If Shovel Knight didn't get in, I have a feeling a slightly less popular indie would too, especially one that is not Japanese.

All in all, I can see the majority of these happening by the end of the games run (including DLC)

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Going off of leaks and speculation/popularity I think these will probably be the new comers in Ultimate.

1) Bandana Waddle Dee - Thanks to Memoryman3 hacking the 3DS version of Yoshi’s Wooly World, we know there are two Amiibos coming soon, one being another Daisy, while the other is another Waddle Dee. While Memoryman3 is a huge Daisy fanboy, that doesn’t make him uncredible, he actually did call Daisy being in Smash through this leak, and the fact that he also mentioned Waddle Dee makes me think Bandana Dee may be a lock for Smash. Other things going for Bandana Dee include him being the only Kirby character left out of the Return to Dreamland 4 and what looks to be Sakurai filling gaps in the roster, ie Ridley and K Rool joining as Metroid and DK were missing their main villains, and Chrom completing the Awakening trio. It also helps that Bandana Waddle Dee was a popular ballot pick, ranking 4th in Japan behind K Rool and the two returning Brawl veterans, Snake and Wolf.

2) Skull Kid - Sakurai set his room up with pillows that look like Skull Kid’s shirt, and two chairs, one purple and one yellow, which could represent the fairies. If you didn’t know, the E3 direct had Sakurai in a room with barrels and a more wooden atheistic, which probably hinted at K Rool. Other evidence is the lack of his assist trophy, which is seemingly being replaced by the moon, a mini costume, and the idea of the villains theme, which means Skull Kid would be the villain to Young Link. Skull Kid also has a massive following in the Zelda community and Majora’s Mask is iconic and very recognizable as a component of Zelda. It also helps that people want a new Zelda character that isn’t Link or Zelda.

3) Steve - Yes, the avatar from Minecraft will most likely make it. Verge apparently has heard something about Minecraft content in Smash. While that doesn’t necessarily mean a character, my thinking is, why would you include content from the biggest game of the decade, but not a character. Steve would make complete sense, MC has become a gaming icon worthy of standing next to Mario. Minecraft represents a lot, with one being Indies which people voted for on the Ballot, but unlike Shovel Knight, Minecraft has become more of a house-hold name to deserve the indie spot. Steve would also be extremely unique, representing world building games, a genre yet to be seen in Smash, and he has basically become the face of Microsoft. Finally with stuff like cross-play, the 3DS title and exclusive 3DS, Nintendo is shown to be pushing the series hard probably because Steve will make a big debut in Smash.

4) Gardevior - The Richter leak called it, but it makes sense. People probably want every generation represented, so why take the risk and develop a new Pokémon that people may not like, when you can instead go back to the past and complete the generations. The Gothitelle echo may not be the best, but at least the generations can be complete for once.

5) Issac - He is popular and has been requested for years. His franchise is also at a loss for any representation other than his assist in Brawl and some music, so I think with popularity in mind, he has a pretty high chance.

6) Isabelle (Echo) - Verge called it, that is all. JK, no but in all seriousness, Isabelle would be an easy echo for Villager, and sense she’s become an icon for the franchise, and with Animal Crossing being huge after her game New Leaf, then I think it’s safe to say we’ll be seeing Isabelle.

7) Shadow (Echo) - They gave Castlevania two characters, and we all know Sonic is way more popular, so Sonic has to get a second rep. Since they most likely don’t want to make a fully new character, than Shadow is the best bet as he’s popular and was a clone of Sonic anyway. Plus with Chrom confirming that echoes can be original, maybe he can have Chaos powers.

8) Dixie Kong (Echo) - Remember when I said that Sakurai seems to be filling gaps, well, this would apply to Dixie. Being the last main Kong, I can’t see them including K Rool and excluding her. These 4 made the original DKC titles, and with Tropical Freeze seemingly being aware of Dixie’s popularity in its marketing, why would you leave out this popular third wheel. It also helps that once again, Echoes can be original, so she could have her hair move, and she was planned for Brawl, so the idea is there.

9) Octolings - They are the easiest set of Echoes you could make, as they are just Inklings. They would also be a modern villain to add to the villains trend. Add on that they are popular in the Splatoon community, and they would make for a great echo.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
If you’re joking: good one
If you’re not: did you join smash boards just to be negative or...? Oh well enjoy ultimate when it comes out. Unless you don’t want to buy it. Enjoy brawl then I guess.
I am not. Look at this list.

“Out of the top ten most popular on SSB4Dojo's data that haven't been added or deconfirmed, we have:
1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman”

Who the hell are any of these people?

We went from a roster of A-listers in Smash Bros. 1 & 2 to including more B, C, D, and F-listers. Here’s my breakdown as to what characters have been good to include and what characters have brought down the average.

Iconic enough to deserve a slot

Sonic
Pac-Man
Snake
I guess Bayonetta
Richter Belmont
Pokemon Trainer
Inkling
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Little Mac
Some form of Mii representation. Whether we needed three or not is debatable.
Ryu
Villager
Daisy

Average decreasers

Chrom
Lucina
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Pit
Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings)
Standalone Charizard
Standalone Sheik
Cloud
Corrin
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Ike
King Dedede
Toon Link
Lucario
Lucas
Meta Knight
Olimar
Palutena
R.O.B.
Simon Belmont
Ridley
Robin
Rosalina
Shulk
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

I’m interested in the possibilities of having matches with DK, diddy, and K. Rool; Samus, Dark Samus, and Ridley; and Kirby and King Dedede (who the hell is Meta Knight?), but I also recognize that the only characters there that are not glut are Kirby, Samus, and DK.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

“Out of the top ten most popular on SSB4Dojo's data that haven't been added or deconfirmed, we have:
1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman”

We went from a roster of A-listers in Smash Bros. 1 & 2 to including more B, C, D, and F-listers. Here’s my breakdown as to what characters have been good to include and what characters have brought down the average.

Sonic
Pac-Man
Snake
I guess Bayonetta
Richter Belmont
Pokemon Trainer
Inkling
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Little Mac
Ryu
Villager
Daisy

Average decreasers

Chrom
Lucina
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Pit
Standalone Charizard
Standalone Sheik
Cloud
Corrin
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Ike
King Dedede
Toon Link
Lucario
Lucas
Meta Knight
Olimar
Palutena
R.O.B.
Simon Belmont
Ridley
Robin
Rosalina
Shulk
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

I’m interested in the possibilities of having matches with DK, diddy, and K. Rool; Samus, Dark Samus, and Ridley; and Kirby and King Dedede (who the hell is Meta Knight?), but I also recognize that the only characters there that are not glut are Kirby, Samus, and DK.

Lmao, you just aren't a classic Nintendo fan. Relax. That is okay. It's not about the most iconic characters. It's about what people want or think fit well. Ice Climbers, Pit, and game and watch were some of the most obscure properties out there.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The only caveat I see is Shantae. If Shovel Knight didn't get in, I have a feeling a slightly less popular indie would too, especially one that is not Japanese.
Yeah, that is a bit of a worry, but there is some other factors at play. One thing that Shantae has over SK is that she is a bit more popular in the Japanese market. She also has a history with Nintendo dating back to the Game Boy color, Riskys Revenge was a huge DSI ware game, and Pirate's Curse was one of the top selling games on the eshop if I recall. Again, popularity seems to be the biggest factor here, but it's good to keep those in mind.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman”

Sonic
Pac-Man
Snake
I guess Bayonetta
Richter Belmont
Pokemon Trainer
Inkling
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Little Mac
Ryu
Villager
Daisy

Average decreasers

Chrom
Lucina
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Pit
Standalone Charizard
Standalone Sheik
Cloud
Corrin
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Ike
King Dedede
Toon Link
Lucario
Lucas
Meta Knight
Olimar
Palutena
R.O.B.
Simon Belmont
Ridley
Robin
Rosalina
Shulk
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

Just because you don't recognize a character doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in. Be a little more selfless and actually take a look at the character and how big it is among its franchise before blurting out illogical nonsense like Richter is more iconic than Simon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just because you don't recognize a character doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in. Be a little more selfless and actually take a look at the character and how big it is among its franchise before blurting out illogical nonsense like Richter is more iconic than Simon.
Though the point also stands that these particular characters are not as recognizable as people try to make it sound like.

And that's okay too. The user could definitely present his point a bit nicer, but still. Though in those cases, only Wonder Red is fairly unknown compared to the rest. Some of those are a bit more niche.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Feel free to trade Richter with Simon if you want and the sentiment remains. Less than 1/3rd of the characters introduced from Brawl on could really be described as superstars.

Edit: I originally said less than 2/3rds. Meant to say less than 1/3rd.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Feel free to trade Richter with Simon if you want and the sentiment remains. Less than 2/3rds of the characters introduced from Brawl on could really be described as superstars.
And being superstars is not the deciding factor in worth. Smash is a celebration of all Nintendo history, as well as gaming, not just the big bookmarks in it.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Knock ti off. You don't have to be some fan of every character suggestion, but intentionally making poor suggestions just to annoy others won't be tolerated.
And being superstars is not the deciding factor in worth. Smash is a celebration of all Nintendo history, as well as gaming, not just the big bookmarks in it.
Fawful for Smash Ultimate. We also need to see the round character from Clu Clu Land. And MicroSAM, Commander Keen, Goku, and Kid Chameleon. Oh, also Mighty Max, and Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And the guy with glasses from Half-Life games. Probably an Overwatch character, too. And Crash Bandicoot. And the Ellen Page clone from whatever that one game was. And Stretchy-Face Mario. Also Master Chief.

Edit: And Sans.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Fawful for Smash Ultimate. We also need to see the round character from Clu Clu Land. And MicroSAM, Commander Keen, Goku, and Kid Chameleon. Oh, also Mighty Max, and Donatello from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And the guy with glasses from Half-Life games. Probably an Overwatch character, too. And Crash Bandicoot. And the Ellen Page clone from whatever that one game was. And Stretchy-Face Mario. Also Master Chief.

Edit: And Sans.
I don't see your point. And why did you put in Master Chief, he is an actual icon that would represent another facet of gaming.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
I don't see your point. And why did you put in Master Chief, he is an actual icon that would represent another facet of gaming.
The characters worth remembering are given the same platform as characters worth forgetting, cheapening the valuable characters’ value and in the end making everyone forgettable. Master Chief is an Xbox property, and essentially a dead one by this point, at that. He’s even less linked to Nintendo than Cloud is.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Going off of leaks and speculation/popularity I think these will probably be the new comers in Ultimate.

1) Bandana Waddle Dee - Thanks to Memoryman3 hacking the 3DS version of Yoshi’s Wooly World, we know there are two Amiibos coming soon, one being another Daisy, while the other is another Waddle Dee. While Memoryman3 is a huge Daisy fanboy, that doesn’t make him uncredible, he actually did call Daisy being in Smash through this leak, and the fact that he also mentioned Waddle Dee makes me think Bandana Dee may be a lock for Smash. Other things going for Bandana Dee include him being the only Kirby character left out of the Return to Dreamland 4 and what looks to be Sakurai filling gaps in the roster, ie Ridley and K Rool joining as Metroid and DK were missing their main villains, and Chrom completing the Awakening trio. It also helps that Bandana Waddle Dee was a popular ballot pick, ranking 4th in Japan behind K Rool and the two returning Brawl veterans, Snake and Wolf.

2) Skull Kid - Sakurai set his room up with pillows that look like Skull Kid’s shirt, and two chairs, one purple and one yellow, which could represent the fairies. If you didn’t know, the E3 direct had Sakurai in a room with barrels and a more wooden atheistic, which probably hinted at K Rool. Other evidence is the lack of his assist trophy, which is seemingly being replaced by the moon, a mini costume, and the idea of the villains theme, which means Skull Kid would be the villain to Young Link. Skull Kid also has a massive following in the Zelda community and Majora’s Mask is iconic and very recognizable as a component of Zelda. It also helps that people want a new Zelda character that isn’t Link or Zelda.

3) Steve - Yes, the avatar from Minecraft will most likely make it. Verge apparently has heard something about Minecraft content in Smash. While that doesn’t necessarily mean a character, my thinking is, why would you include content from the biggest game of the decade, but not a character. Steve would make complete sense, MC has become a gaming icon worthy of standing next to Mario. Minecraft represents a lot, with one being Indies which people voted for on the Ballot, but unlike Shovel Knight, Minecraft has become more of a house-hold name to deserve the indie spot. Steve would also be extremely unique, representing world building games, a genre yet to be seen in Smash, and he has basically become the face of Microsoft. Finally with stuff like cross-play, the 3DS title and exclusive 3DS, Nintendo is shown to be pushing the series hard probably because Steve will make a big debut in Smash.

4) Gardevior - The Richter leak called it, but it makes sense. People probably want every generation represented, so why take the risk and develop a new Pokémon that people may not like, when you can instead go back to the past and complete the generations. The Gothitelle echo may not be the best, but at least the generations can be complete for once.

5) Issac - He is popular and has been requested for years. His franchise is also at a loss for any representation other than his assist in Brawl and some music, so I think with popularity in mind, he has a pretty high chance.

6) Isabelle (Echo) - Verge called it, that is all. JK, no but in all seriousness, Isabelle would be an easy echo for Villager, and sense she’s become an icon for the franchise, and with Animal Crossing being huge after her game New Leaf, then I think it’s safe to say we’ll be seeing Isabelle.

7) Shadow (Echo) - They gave Castlevania two characters, and we all know Sonic is way more popular, so Sonic has to get a second rep. Since they most likely don’t want to make a fully new character, than Shadow is the best bet as he’s popular and was a clone of Sonic anyway. Plus with Chrom confirming that echoes can be original, maybe he can have Chaos powers.

8) Dixie Kong (Echo) - Remember when I said that Sakurai seems to be filling gaps, well, this would apply to Dixie. Being the last main Kong, I can’t see them including K Rool and excluding her. These 4 made the original DKC titles, and with Tropical Freeze seemingly being aware of Dixie’s popularity in its marketing, why would you leave out this popular third wheel. It also helps that once again, Echoes can be original, so she could have her hair move, and she was planned for Brawl, so the idea is there.

9) Octolings - They are the easiest set of Echoes you could make, as they are just Inklings. They would also be a modern villain to add to the villains trend. Add on that they are popular in the Splatoon community, and they would make for a great echo.
Well...if any Gen 3 Pokémon was to make it I feel it would be Sceptile because he was popular during the ballot and the project plan was finished at the end of 2015. Which is probably why the Octolings will be DLC - the project plan was finished before they became popular and relevant. As far as Steve goes, if Microsoft collaborated with Nintendo on Smash, the character will be Banjo. Phil Spencer has said twice that he’d be okay with banjo joining the roster so i feel like Minecraft inclusion will be a stage or an assist trophy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well...if any Gen 3 Pokémon was to make it I feel it would be Sceptile because he was popular during the ballot and the project plan was finished at the end of 2015. Which is probably why the Octolings will be DLC - the project plan was finished before they became popular and relevant. As far as Steve goes, if Microsoft collaborated with Nintendo on Smash, the character will be Banjo. Phil Spencer has said twice that he’d be okay with banjo joining the roster so i feel like Minecraft inclusion will be a stage or an assist trophy.
Most of Sceptile's love was just due to the "we need a Grass Pokemon". Almost none of it is due to actually being truly wanted. Grovyle has more popularity for that instead.

Also, Phil Spencer doesn't actually speak for the company, or for Sakurai, or for Nintendo. That's just who he thinks would be fun. Minecraft has a way bigger chance of getting a character because Steve? is significantly more recognizable than Banjo is by far. One is a gaming icon. The other is a dead franchise that has a very popular character(which could also get him in, via the ballot mostly. And that's not a bad thing either). Don't forget that we have official Minecraft-themed 3DS's. That's a big deal and shows how easy it is to expect Minecraft content, a character possibly too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The characters worth remembering are given the same platform as characters worth forgetting, cheapening the valuable characters’ value and in the end making everyone forgettable. Master Chief is an Xbox property, and essentially a dead one by this point, at that. He’s even less linked to Nintendo than Cloud is.
If anything, characters value is raised by being in Smash. Do you really think Pit would have gotten a new game if he was not in Smash? Do you think the Xenoblade franchise would have gotten as popular as it has if they did not think "Isn't this the game series that Shulk character came from? Maybe I should try it out." Do you think Fire Emblem would even be in the west if it were not for Smash Bros? These less iconic characters do not taint the worth of the icons, but instead raise these characters to be there own icons.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1. Isaac
2. Banjo
3. Bandana Dee
4. Paper Mario
5. Shantae
6. Geno
7. Magolor
8. Dixie
9. Wonder Red
10. Rayman”

Sonic
Pac-Man
Snake
I guess Bayonetta
Richter Belmont
Pokemon Trainer
Inkling
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Little Mac
Ryu
Villager
Daisy

Average decreasers

Chrom
Lucina
Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Pit
Standalone Charizard
Standalone Sheik
Cloud
Corrin
King K. Rool
Diddy Kong
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Ike
King Dedede
Toon Link
Lucario
Lucas
Meta Knight
Olimar
Palutena
R.O.B.
Simon Belmont
Ridley
Robin
Rosalina
Shulk
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

What a weird perspective to have. Nintendo didn't just stop making games after 2007. Most of the characters you named are far more recognizable to fans of their respective franchises than you give them credit for.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Can a Moderator PLEASE put Icons on Simon/Richter and K.Rool sub-forums please?
For some reason this is bothering me alot...

Sem título.jpg

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
If anything, characters value is raised by being in Smash. Do you really think Pit would have gotten a new game if he was not in Smash? Do you think the Xenoblade franchise would have gotten as popular as it has if they did not think "Isn't this the game series that Shulk character came from? Maybe I should try it out." Do you think Fire Emblem would even be in the west if it were not for Smash Bros? These less iconic characters do not taint the worth of the icons, but instead raise these characters to be there own icons.
The character’s value increases while the value of the smash game they’re in decreases. I understand why Shulk, Greninja, Meta Knight, Lucario, Palutena, most of the Fire Emblem characters, etc., were put into the game (gotta sell these new games/movies/TV shows!), but when Marth and Roy were put into Melee, the intention was more to honor obscure but valuable history than it was to move units and necessarily revitalize a franchise.

flohammer

Smash Rookie
So, I've only lurked for a short time now and haven't seen much discussion about a newcomer who I think is fairly likely: Eevee.

Reasons:
1. Eevee is probably the third most popular Pokemon, especially considering Japan.
2. Eevee is the star of her own game being released three weeks before SSBU is released in the US.
3. Depending on how she's built out, Eevee offers the chance to allow in Pokemon from multiple generations, which leads me to...

How she might work:
1. Option 1 would be that she would function exclusively as her own character as represented in the Let's Go! Eevee version. This would make her significantly less interesting in my view, but it would also play into my theory that you would be able to import "your" Pikachu or Eevee from the Let's Go! games for a costume. So you would access your PLG!P/PLG!E save and Pikachu and/or Eevee would appear in SSBU with the haircut and accessories you've applied in that save as a costume selection option.

2. Option 2 is that, when playing with Eevee, items would automatically drop at random, even if they're turned off. If Eevee picks up those items, she would evolve into the corresponding evolution. This work something like:

- Water Stone appears, Eevee grabs it and evolves to Vaporeon for the rest of the match
- Fire Stone appears --> Flareon
- Thunder Stone --> Jolteon
- Sun Shard --> Espeon
- Moon Shard --> Umbreon
- Moss Rock --> Leafeon
- Ice Rock --> Glaceon
- Some made up item approximating a Fairy Rock/Stone/Shard --> Sylveon

The items could be picked up by other characters and thrown, causing minor damage with a corresponding elemental effect. A last thought would be that the exception would be the fairy item, which would heal the person picking it up by a few percentage points.

3. Option 3 is that, at the select screen, Eevee defaults to evolving to Jolteon/Flareon/Vaporeon with directional specials but the player can select her evolutionary loadouts at the character select screen. Eevee would remain as whichever Pokemon you evolved her to unless/until she dies, and would return to the stage as Eevee.

I don't have specific movesets in mind, but I think Eevee is the likeliest new Pokemon, even over Decidueye/Incineroar.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
The character’s value increases while the value of the smash game they’re in decreases. I understand why Shulk, Greninja, Meta Knight, Lucario, Palutena, most of the Fire Emblem characters, etc., were put into the game (gotta sell these new games/movies/TV shows!), but when Marth and Roy were put into Melee, the intention was more to honor obscure but valuable history than it was to move units and necessarily revitalize a franchise.
MetaKnight was literally a main Kirby character that’s been there since Adventure.

Lucina and Robin were the two characters that became mascots of FE as their title saved the franchise, along with Chrom, they are the most recognizable FE characters outside of Smash.

Shulk was from a game with a massive cult following that wanted the series to grow. While he can be seen as an advertisement, you can’t deny his status beforehand.

Palutena was a big female character that was a classic, coming from the same year as Samus and Zelda. She was finally given moveset potential in Uprising.

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Crash with Coco Bandicoot as an Echo Fighter seems like Crash could be numbered DLC1 and Coco Bandicoot could be labeled DLC1ε While Spyro could be DLC2.
They don't seem likely as starter characters but I'm assuming that since Sakurai knows about Banjo that he might have seen the Nintendo direct announcing Crash Bandicoot for Nintendo Switch around the game's near completion, and quite possibly, Hideo Kojima may have mentioned Crash to Sakurai at some point.

Also quick question who seems more likely at this point: Banjo-Kazooie, or Yooka-Laylee, I kinda like Yooka-Laylee enough that I'd forget about the Banjo hype if Yooka Laylee got in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So you are telling me that because all of these more obscure characters are in the game, Smash Ultimate has less value? That makes little sense to me. People are getting the characters they have always wanted, and that makes them want to get the game and play. And it is not only monetary. Also, while I don't entirely disagree with your statement as of why Marth and Roy got in, you are contradicting yourself. Your problem with the roster now is that there are more obscure choices, yet Marth and Roy are fine just because that was the intention? And actually, Roy does not even count when it comes to that, as his game wasn't even released when Melee came around, meaning there was no history to represent in the first place.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Can a Admin PLEASE put Icons on Simon/Richter and K.Rool sub-forums please?
For some reason this is bothering me alot...

Sem título.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's been a common belief that newer characters are added for money reasons only/advertising. The only ones remotely close to that are Roy and Corrin. Everybody else fit the timing of development, and that was the easiest time to add them in. But they were also from currently active franchises. Greninja is another interesting case, as he is intentionally a Gen VI rep. The other Pokemon have different circumstances and not a single Gen 1 Pokemon was added for actual being Gen 1 anyway. That said, Lucario I'm not sure behind the full reasoning for its addition(yes, it was already pushed and popular, and had a movie too. But considering they spent a year to make the Aura work, it sounds more like the mechanics got it in than simply being popular/right timing alone).

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Crash with Coco Bandicoot as an Echo Fighter seems like Crash could be numbered DLC1 and Coco Bandicoot could be labeled DLC1ε While Spyro could be DLC2.
They don't seem likely as starter characters but I'm assuming that since Sakurai knows about Banjo that he might have seen the Nintendo direct announcing Crash Bandicoot for Nintendo Switch around the game's near completion, and quite possibly, Hideo Kojima may have mentioned Crash to Sakurai at some point.

Also quick question who seems more likely at this point: Banjo-Kazooie, or Yooka-Laylee, I kinda like Yooka-Laylee enough that I'd forget about the Banjo hype if Yooka Laylee got in.
If Yooka Laylee got in over Banjo and Kazooie I think 98% of Smash fans would be outraged

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Yooka Laylee got in over Banjo and Kazooie I think 98% of Smash fans would be outraged
Indeed. Literally, they're not that popular, and despite being created by the same development team(bar maybe a few members?), one is actually a niche but highly popular choice.

Like, I really wouldn't care if they got in(B&K) and I honestly have choices from Microsoft that interest me more(Steve?, Master Chief, and Fulgore are my favorites. I like them all more), but B&K should get in before an Indie that was loosely based upon them anyway.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Indeed. Literally, they're not that popular, and despite being created by the same development team(bar maybe a few members?), one is actually a niche but highly popular choice.

Like, I really wouldn't care if they got in(B&K) and I honestly have choices from Microsoft that interest me more(Steve?, Master Chief, and Fulgore are my favorites. I like them all more), but B&K should get in before an Indie that was loosely based upon them anyway.
Also, I don't think many people want them to be our first indie rep as well.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You're sounding a lot like that guy that bought all of those Rosalina amiibo and hated her, other female characters, and any he saw as 'not true Nintendo characters'.

This series is not about characters recognizable to the general public, it's a celebration of Video Games, particularly those linked to Nintendo, and characters fans of those individual series would love to play as.

You also have a very negative and subjective view on "worth" that I doubt most would agree with.

If we went by your criteria then the roster would be that of Smash 64, only with Ness & Captain Falcon replaced with Peach & Bowser, and adding in Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, and Inklings. Now that, in this day & age, would be boring.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I just got the numbers from the Smashpedia Newcomer section that listed it as "22 newcomers" rather than counting them individually myself. The page read;
  • Mii Fighters
    • Mii Brawler
    • Mii Swordfighter
    • Mii Gunner
So I'm assuming whoever put "22" counted the Mii Fighters seperately AND the "Mii Fighters" bullet as seperate fighters. WHOOPS.
Mii Fighters aren't even newcomers, they existed in Smash4-3DS amd Smash4-WiiU. I'm assuming since the 3DS can handle Smash 4, Mario 64 DS, and Super Mario 3D Land, and Rayman 3D, (Not to mention Crash of the Titans) then Crash Bandicoot 2 wouldn't be out of the question.

Back to the Mii Fighters
  • Mii Fighters
    • Mii Brawler
    • Mii Swordfighter
    • Mii Gunner
      Newcomer Mii Fighters
    • Mii Doctor
    • Mii Tanooki
    • Mii Excitebike
    • Mii Pilotwings
    • Mii Announcer

Each Mii FIghter would have their own special trait, but only 2 custom movesets to choose from due to development time.
    • Mii Doctor (Medical and lab attacks, Megavitamins, healing attacks for team battles and 8-player smash)
    • Mii Tanooki (Animal Superpowers)
    • Mii Excitebiker (remade from scrapped Excitebiker character idea)
    • Mii PilotWing (Jetpack multi Jump and Sports Resort attacks)
    • Mii Announcer (Always uses Announcer voice in male or female variant, some attacks based on Cheerleader class in Miitopia)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, I don't think many people want them to be our first indie rep as well.
Exactly. It feels like a spit in the face of the characters the team first made.

Plus, when you got more notable ones like Shantae, Quote, Shovel Knight, and the original king, Steve?(though he isn't one anymore), you got better options. It'd be new for the sake of it. There's no real reason to go after Yooka and Laylee at all. Go after actual popular characters. Licensing is still going to cost money either way, and one is more worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom