• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
You know what I’m wondering? If Verge and Loz just saw/heard info from the two directs, and thus were able to say Skull Kid, Incineroar, and Isabelle and such are in since their assist trophies and poke balls aren’t shown yet.
If they saw the two Directs, there's no way they wouldn't have leaked things like Richter, King K. Rool, Chrom, and Dark Samus as well.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Considering he was deconfirmed, despite some people's wishful thinking that Sakurai is trolling, I doubt it.
I know, I just like to discus some moveset ideas with people. I know he was decomfirned but I did not know that means the threads get locked? Or was Waluigi a special circumstance?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know, I just like to discus some moveset ideas with people. I know he was decomfirned but I did not know that means the threads get locked? Or was Waluigi a special circumstance?
I don't know, I didn't look in the thread. It's possible that's the case or passionate fans got out of hand.

I'd love a Waluigi moveset that worked to reference the spin off games as a whole along with typical Waluigi quirkiness.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, I didn't look in the thread. It's possible that's the case or passionate fans got out of hand.

I'd love a Waluigi moveset that worked to reference the spin off games as a whole along with typical Waluigi quirkiness.
Yeah, I know I made a move set with a friend but he is not passionate about smash as I am so I just wanted to talk to someone about it! I would love to shoot ideas back and forth.

Also, I noticed your profile picture. Im not super into pokemon but did you see the leak about that pokemon and the echo? What are your thoughts on that one?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Also, I noticed your profile picture. Im not super into pokemon but did you see the leak about that pokemon and the echo? What are your thoughts on that one?
I have and I so want it to be true, Gardevoir is my favorite Pokémon and, honestly, while I'd love speculated on characters like Geno (from my fav Mario game) and Dixie, I wouldn't be as hype for anyone else most likely.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I have and I so want it to be true, Gardevoir is my favorite Pokémon and, honestly, while I'd love speculated on characters like Geno (from my fav Mario game) and Dixie, I wouldn't be as hype for anyone else most likely.
Do you think that Gardevoir would bring a fun moveset? What do you think it would be like? Also, do you think the echo for Gardevoir is possible. Some people say one other forums and threads that it doesnt make sense. So I just wanted to know your thoughts. I support having a gen 3, 5, and 7 in smash but I know 3 is a lot of new pokemons to add when the series has lots of reps to begin with.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Do you think that Gardevoir would bring a fun moveset? What do you think it would be like? Also, do you think the echo for Gardevoir is possible. Some people say one other forums and threads that it doesnt make sense. So I just wanted to know your thoughts. I support having a gen 3, 5, and 7 in smash but I know 3 is a lot of new pokemons to add when the series has lots of reps to begin with.
I'm not the best at thinking of movesets, but she could have ranged magic-style psychic or fairy type attacks, the elemental punches (Gardevoir can learn them), magical leaf, moves similar to what she has in Pokkén, psychically powered up punches & kicks in a graceful dance-like style similar to Tekken's Lili, etc.

An Echo is very possible, Gardevoir & Gothitelle are similar builds, the same type (until Gen 6 introduced Fairy Type and made Gardevoir Psychic/Fairy), and have a similar move pool in Pokémon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
An Echo is very possible, Gardevoir & Gothitelle are similar builds, the same type (until Gen 6 introduced Fairy Type and made Gardevoir Psychic/Fairy), and have a similar move pool in Pokémon.
Also, apparently the two Pokemon were the signature Pokemon of the sisters that helped raise , so there is a neat connection.

Edit: Woops, missed putting in "N." Still, the point still stands, the two still have a connection, even if it's a tad minor.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not to mention Gothitelle seems like she was supposed to literally echo Gardevoir in Gen 5, like many Gen 5 Pokémon were seemingly made to remind people of past Gen Pokémon only with a new US animal/thing style.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not to mention Gothitelle seems like she was supposed to literally echo Gardevoir in Gen 5, like many Gen 5 Pokémon were seemingly made to remind people of past Gen Pokémon with with a new US animal/thing style.
You know, if the two really share moves, shoulder all of their shared moves be rounded up and then it can be easier to figure out their potential moveset?

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the best at thinking of movesets, but she could have ranged magic-style psychic or fairy type attacks, the elemental punches (Gardevoir can learn them), magical leaf, moves similar to what she has in Pokkén, psychically powered up punches & kicks in a graceful dance-like style similar to Tekken's Lili, etc.

Interesting. And it would give us Gen 3 and a Gen 5 rep which are both missing. I am sure Gen 3 and Gen 5 were heavily requested in the smash ballot and one of them is an echo. It just seems to good to be true and work out way to well. But maybe that's why they are doing it.

Also, apparently the two Pokemon were the signature Pokemon of the sisters that helped raise , so there is a neat connection.
Wow, so the odds seem really strong on this one.

Not to mention Gothitelle seems like she was supposed to literally echo Gardevoir in Gen 5, like many Gen 5 Pokémon were seemingly made to remind people of past Gen Pokémon only with a new US animal/thing style.
Oh really? Is there any thing else that can echo something else? Or any Gen 3/5 that can echo a pokemon that we have? I know pulse and minun can be a pichu echo.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You know, if the two really share moves, shoulder all of their shared moves be rounded up and then it can be easier to figure out their potential moveset?
Honestly, since we've seen Echo characters can have different moves and effects, they don't need to share the same named moves..and Sakurai is known for giving Pokémon moves they don't learn in the actual games but don't feel out of place.

It's easy to share the same move but with different effects. Say Gardevoir has the Fairy move Moonbeam, Gothitelle could have the exact same move but with Psychic darkness in place of shiny fairyness, and have it named Psybeam. Same move, same function, different look.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, since we've seen Echo characters can have different moves and effects, they don't need to share the same named moves..and Sakurai is known for giving Pokémon moves they don't learn in the actual games but don't feel out of place.

It's easy to share the same move but with different effects. Say Gardevoir has the Fairy move Moonbeam, Gothitelle could have the exact same move but with Psychic darkness in place of shiny fairyness, and have it named Psybeam. Same move, same function, different look.
Right, makes sense. There is one thing I hope Gardevoir does in it's moveset, and that is make mini black holes.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh really? Is there any thing else that can echo something else? Or any Gen 3/5 that can echo a pokemon that we have? I know pulse and minun can be a pichu echo.
If forced, maybe, but Zoroark for Lucario would require a lot of reworking and it uses illusions heavily (such as turning into people/Pokémon), so it may not be worth the effort.
As for Plusle & Minun, they could Echo Pichu, but since they were done to show off the new gimmick of double battles, having them like the Ice Climbers is almost a must. They also aren't as popular as other Gen 3 reps like Gardevoir, Blaziken, or Sceptile.
Right, makes sense. There is one thing I hope Gardevoir does in it's moveset, and that is make mini black holes.
I think the Black Hole would be saved for its Final Smash similar to its Focus Attack in Pokkén Tournament using it at start up before its dotHack Data Drain-like attack.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the Black Hole would be saved for its Final Smash similar to its Focus Attack using it at start up before its dotHack Data Drain-like attack.

That does work, but I worry that it would be a bit to similar to Palutena's final smash, even if it is a bit more cinematic.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That does work, but I worry that it would be a bit to similar to Palutena's final smash, even if it is a bit more cinematic.
It'd be more like Mega Man's in function, he uses Black Hole Bomb to send his opponent to the area with the other Mega Men, Proto Man, and Bass.
Similar Final Smashes are nothing new though considering Zelda/Sheik & Dark Pit and Cloud & Ike in Smash 4, and DK & Little Mac in Ultimate.

If just a Black Hole though, it could function like Zelda's new FS, Triforce of Wisdom, trapping them in a constricting place before launching them.

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
If forced, maybe, but Zoroark for Lucario would require a lot of reworking and it uses illusions heavily (such as turning into people/Pokémon), so it may not be worth the effort.
As for Plusle & Minun, they could Echo Pichu, but since they were done to show off the new gimmick of double battles, having them like the Ice Climbers is almost a must. They also aren't as popular as other Gen 3 reps like Gardevoir, Blaziken, or Sceptile.
Ah, so this is the most likely case scenario of representation.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It'd be more like Mega Man's in function, he uses Black Hole Bomb to send his opponent to the area with the other Mega Men, Proto Man, and Bass.
Similar Final Smashes are nothing new though considering Zelda/Sheik & Dark Pit and Cloud & Ike in Smash 4, and DK & Little Mac in Ultimate.

If just a Black Hole though, it could function like Zelda's new FS, Triforce of Wisdom, trapping them in a constricting place before launching them.
That is true, but what would Gothitelle have as a final smash? She has no mega evolution, and I don't recall her being that associated with black holes, so she will likely get something different.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Here's my final prediction for the roster.

NEWCOMERS:
  • Bandana Dee
  • Skull Kid
  • Isaac
  • Rayman
ECHO:
  • Shadow
  • Ken
  • Isabelle
  • Medusa

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
Hmm...at best guess? I'd have to say - Isacc, Geno, Skull Kid, 7th Gen Pokemon (most likely either Incineroar or Decidueye) and Isabelle have high chances of being playable.
(Though my fingers are still crossed for Banjo-Kazooie, Dixie Kong and Rayman to be on the roster, whether base or later on as DLC.)

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I ran statistics to find out how many characters we could realistically see between now and December. So I'm going to stick with 3 Newcomers and 4 Echoes

Newcomers
  • Isaac (At this point I'd be surprised if he wasn't in)
  • Bandana Dee (I had no idea that he was that popular!)
  • Rayman/Geno/Skull Kid (Honestly any of these would be a great way to wrap up the roster)

Echoes
  • Isabelle (Hey they made Villager a fighter. It's not outside the possibilities now)
  • Ken (I noticed none of Ryu's alt colours were Ken unlike Bayonetta/Jeanne. I think they were holding off)
  • Shadow (Knuckles is now an AT and again Sonic never had a Shadow alt colour. I think they held off again)
  • Diddy Kong (A hybrid of DK and Diddy can make her easily do-able. DK for the recovery, Diddy for the rest)

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I ran statistics to find out how many characters we could realistically see between now and December. So I'm going to stick with 3 Newcomers and 4 Echoes

Newcomers
  • Isaac (At this point I'd be surprised if he wasn't in)
  • Bandana Dee (I had no idea that he was that popular!)
  • Rayman/Geno/Skull Kid (Honestly any of these would be a great way to wrap up the roster)

Echoes
  • Isabelle (Hey they made Villager a fighter. It's not outside the possibilities now)
  • Ken (I noticed none of Ryu's alt colours were Ken unlike Bayonetta/Jeanne. I think they were holding off)
  • Shadow (Knuckles is now an AT and again Sonic never had a Shadow alt colour. I think they held off again)
  • Diddy Kong (A hybrid of DK and Diddy can make her easily do-able. DK for the recovery, Diddy for the rest)
Except if you consider the fact that we already got 4 unique newcomers in 2 months since Ultimates reveal, with 4 months left, its very possible to get in the last another 4-6 unique newcomers depending on how much they ramp up promotion for the game.

For me tbh, this whole roster so far is based on popularity, and likely will be for the remaining character picks (perhaps 1 or 2 are an exception to fill a niche Sakurai wants)

But I think:

Bandana Dee: Tops many Japanese polls in the past few years. Super popular
Isaac: Has been popular for years, still tops many polls
Banjo and Kazooie/Geno: Both wildly popular characters additionally like the other 2, which is amazing considering he's one of the few non-japanese creations likely eligible for smash.
Skull Kid: Not as popular as the rest, but there are hints to him being in the game, so we'll see.

I sincerely think that out of these 5, we are bound to get 2 to 3 of them in the least by release (that is just how big they are), and potentially the rest coming as DLC if all 5 do not make it.

I seriously don't see any of them missing the roster this time, except maybe Isaac simply because Sakurai removed all traces of Golden Sun save for a few songs in Smash 4. But like with every new game there is always hope. We can hope for it, and I am willing to bank that he may be the next direct's trailer/opener as a newcomer. Golden Sun is one of the last great nintendo franchises not represented with a character in smash, and Isaac/Felix are literally perfect for it.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Except if you consider the fact that we already got 4 unique newcomers in 2 months since Ultimates reveal, with 4 months left, its very possible to get in the last another 4-6 unique newcomers depending on how much they ramp up promotion for the game.

For me tbh, this whole roster so far is based on popularity, and likely will be for the remaining character picks (perhaps 1 or 2 are an exception to fill a niche Sakurai wants)

But I think:

Bandana Dee: Tops many Japanese polls in the past few years. Super popular
Isaac: Has been popular for years, still tops many polls
Banjo and Kazooie/Geno: Both wildly popular characters additionally like the other 2.
Skull Kid: Not as popular as the rest, but there are hints to him being in the game, so we'll see.

I sincerely think that out of these 5, we are bound to get 2 to 3 of them in the least by release (that is just how big they are), and potentially the rest coming as DLC if all 5 do not make it.

I seriously don't see any of them missing the roster this time, except maybe Isaac simply because Sakurai removed all traces of Golden Sun save for a few songs in Smash 4.
Oh I completely agree, so far the rate of reveals is far greater. But I am also appreciative we have only three months to reveal things now. So by limiting it to a 3 newcomer then it reduces the chance of disappointment as anything more than 3 is a win for us all. Same with the Echo fighters. After all, if you tally that with what we have so far, that's 15 newcomers. That's more than Melee if I recall. So it just makes it plausible.

I completely agree about the popularity too hence my guesses. As well as quick wins for Sakurai.

Yes for Isaac it is a tough choice. Though I will say this. If he doesn't get included in any form I think there will be an uproar by fans as even adding his AT back wouldn't kill anyone. But we'll see eh?

I also noticed that the remainder characters all seem to have "it's unlikely because..." now. K Rool and Ridley I knew would get in as the demand would eventually get too high. But now we get to Isaac (niche franchise), Geno (Square Enix), etc we start to wonder if those reasons will hold them back?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Oh I completely agree, so far the rate of reveals is far greater. But I am also appreciative we have only three months to reveal things now. So by limiting it to a 3 newcomer then it reduces the chance of disappointment as anything more than 3 is a win for us all. Same with the Echo fighters. After all, if you tally that with what we have so far, that's 15 newcomers. That's more than Melee if I recall. So it just makes it plausible.

I completely agree about the popularity too hence my guesses. As well as quick wins for Sakurai.

Yes for Isaac it is a tough choice. Though I will say this. If he doesn't get included in any form I think there will be an uproar by fans as even adding his AT back wouldn't kill anyone. But we'll see eh?

I also noticed that the remainder characters all seem to have "it's unlikely because..." now. K Rool and Ridley I knew would get in as the demand would eventually get too high. But now we get to Isaac (niche franchise), Geno (Square Enix), etc we start to wonder if those reasons will hold them back?

Agreed. At this point several of these characters have little to no reason to not be included in the game, however now it's just up to what Sakurai deems as a priority. Does he pay respects to Golden Sun? Does he include a character he's wanted in the game for years (Geno)? Does he keep adding big series villains like K. Rool and Ridley (Skull Kid)? Does he add probably the most requested 3rd party character of all time (Banjo)? Or does he add a character that often leads Japanese popularity polls (Bandana Dee)? Or does he focus on other, surprising characters to subvert expectations (Bamco 3rd party games, relatively unknown series, etc)?

At this point, it really is up to him. I think, with this being the ultimate game, he is trying to satisfy has many people as he can. While we certainly should keep expectations low, we'll see how far it gets in the coming months!

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
My final prediction unless something changes:
Unique
Isaac: One of the most, if not the most, requested characters after K. Rool. The image on Sakurais twitter might be a hint.

Skull Kid: The stars seem to be aligning for him, whether you believe in the chair theory or not.

Bandana Waddle Dee: One of the most popular characters, especially in Japan. I feel like he would be an assist if he doesn’t make it and with Chef Kawasaki already in as an assist, it seems unlikely he would become an assist.

Geno: With fans requesting him for so long and his Mii costume, I feel like he had a good chance. In my opinion, if Square was going to be difficult, they wouldn’t have allowed Cloud.

Echoes
Impa
Dixie Kong
Isabelle
Shadow

Runner-ups
Banjo and Kazooie (seem likely for DLC)
Chorus Kids
Pokémon, whether it be gen 7 or gardevoir

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I believe most people here are making their prediction lists with ONLY popularity in mind. Ridley and K. Rool, while top requests, have also long contributed to Nintendo and one is still relevant and the other is for sure going to be revived. While I do believe the ballot and fan demand are shaping this game's roster, I am not entirely certain that popularity alone is the deciding factor for newcomers (see: Ashley). For this reason, I would not be surprised if Geno/Isaac/Skull Kid and to an extent Banjo do not make it into the game. I think we should be more cautious and not rule out other factors of inclusion, such as series contribution, history with Nintendo, relevancy, recognition, etc.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's been a full week since the direct. I'm noticing lots of new possible characters since then.
I was dead wrong about Ashley, I thought her popularity alone would be enough. I'm not crying about it though, I was never interested in her. We've known assist trophies being MIA doesn't necessarily indicate anything new in store for them, so I'm hoping more get revealed soon. Was also wrong about Mimikyu, thinking it was the most likely Gen 7 rep, but I'm again hoping in vain that other popular Gen 7 mons are in the same boat, cause I'd prefer a surprise Pokemon.
The demand for more Zelda characters is something I think Sakurai would notice, so Skull Kid and Tetra as a Toon Link echo are the two most obvious newcomers I'm betting on right now.
Shadow, Isaac, Isabelle, and Bandanna Dee are my next safest bets. Just like Daisy, Shadow is a popular character who works as a clone of another character, but has a different personality. Isabelle and BDee are relevant characters from a major first-party franchise who could appeal to a large fanbase. Isaac's AT being missing left some fans really upset, and he has been requested for a long time, which are a couple of things Sakurai may have noticed. And the screenshot he posted looks waaay too much like an intentional reference to Golden Sun.
Rex and Prince of Sable are my least sensible predictions, but still ones I consider a safe bets nonetheless. I said there wouldn't be a retro character, but I do think the Prince has a genuine chance. Takamaru seemed like the most obvious retro choice, but I suspect he was left out for other issues on top of being mostly known only in Japan. Prince of Sable fits the swordfighter archetype that Sakurai clearly favors, his ability to tranform into animals seems like something Sakurai would want to implement in Smash, and his abilities are so faithfully translated into Smash, it gives the impression Sakurai really did the research for him. He feels like a character that appeals to Sakurai in so many ways, his obscurity would be simply be overlooked. Rex is just as hard to defend, but would make sense for marketing. At the time, there was nobody else who would be the protagonist of upcoming entry in an established franchise. As experienced businessmen, every big developer at Nintendo knew the failure that was the Wii U had nothing of notable impact outside of Splatoon, and would be looking towards the potential of the Switch to do better. The success of Switch titles was not guaranteed, but the potential would still have been there; the same can't be said for the Wii U, which already was established as a failure at that point in time.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

Waluigi fans sent Sakurai pics of 9/11 with him and Waluigi’s heads pasted on, claiming Sakurai did Wah/11. I think there was a reason for the thread’s closure.

I believe most people here are making their prediction lists with ONLY popularity in mind. Ridley and K. Rool, while top requests, have also long contributed to Nintendo and one is still relevant and the other is for sure going to be revived. While I do believe the ballot and fan demand are shaping this game's roster, I am not entirely certain that popularity alone is the deciding factor for newcomers. For this reason, I would not be surprised if Geno/Isaac/Skull Kid and to an extent Banjo do not make it into the game. I think we should be more cautious and not rule out other factors of inclusion, such as series contribution, history with Nintendo, relevancy, recognition, etc.
I agree to disagree, popularity is not the only factor, in this you are correct, but those characters are important.

Isaac - Literally the mascot of a Nintendo franchise, while not the biggest, with characters like Ice Climbers in I see no reason against him.

Skull Kid - Show an average person Majora’s Mask. They will know it’s from Zelda, that mask has become an icon of the series, being more recognizable than even important characters like Impa. Plus, Skull Kid is the main antagonist to Young Link, and with a possible villains theme, he would make sense.

Geno - In the first Mario RPG, though he really isn’t that important, so you got me there. I think Captain Toad would have been a better option, but I’m sure some will disagree.

Banjo - Mascot of the N64, though he also is of wavering importance. With leaks and Nintendo backing, I think Minecraft would be higher up on the Smash list as it’s important to gaming and Nintendo history, bringing all gamers together with cross play and so on.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I believe most people here are making their prediction lists with ONLY popularity in mind. Ridley and K. Rool, while top requests, have also long contributed to Nintendo and one is still relevant and the other is for sure going to be revived. While I do believe the ballot and fan demand are shaping this game's roster, I am not entirely certain that popularity alone is the deciding factor for newcomers (see: Ashley). For this reason, I would not be surprised if Geno/Isaac/Skull Kid and to an extent Banjo do not make it into the game. I think we should be more cautious and not rule out other factors of inclusion, such as series contribution, history with Nintendo, relevancy, recognition, etc.

The thing is, we know Popularity is one of the main drives for including characters this time around (In both the E3 and August directs, Sakurai has said that all returning characters are back due to popular demand, and that characters like Chrom and Dark Samus were made echoes due to people wanting them). And yes, we know Ridley and K. Rool follow this trend as well.

That being said is why many of us have these 5 in our predictions overall. They are effectively the safest picks we can make until they are either confirmed or deconfirmed (just like Ashley, Bomberman, or any other popular character).

So I agree, we may not see any of these characters. But there's a chance we may see all of them, especially after Ridley and K. Rool actually made it. The most realistic outcome is we may get 1 or 2 of the 5 in the least. There are merits for a few of them (possible hints towards their inclusion), moreso than Ashley, Waluigi, or Bomberman ever had, realistically speaking.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi fans sent Sakurai pics of 9/11 with him and Waluigi’s heads pasted on, claiming Sakurai did Wah/11. I think there was a reason for the thread’s closure.

I agree to disagree, popularity is not the only factor, in this you are correct, but those characters are important.

Isaac - Literally the mascot of a Nintendo franchise, while not the biggest, with characters like Ice Climbers in I see no reason against him.

Skull Kid - Show an average person Majora’s Mask. They will know it’s from Zelda, that mask has become an icon of the series, being more recognizable than even important characters like Impa. Plus, Skull Kid is the main antagonist to Young Link, and with a possible villains theme, he would make sense.

Geno - In the first Mario RPG, though he really isn’t that important, so you got me there. I think Captain Toad would have been a better option, but I’m sure some will disagree.

Banjo - Mascot of the N64, though he also is of wavering importance. With leaks and Nintendo backing, I think Minecraft would be higher up on the Smash list as it’s important to gaming and Nintendo history, bringing all gamers together with cross play and so on.
Definitely not trying to downplay their importance and how loved these characters are. I would welcome their addition with open arms and think they would be FUN to play as. But I do believe that characters that tick all boxes were given priority, like all the unique newcomers we've got. So far, all four have appeared in multiple games, are central to the story, are popular, recognizable and still relevant. Perhaps K. Rool misses the relevancy, but he was likely the ballot winner and I do believe he'll be brought back in the next DKC game.

I guess we should hope and see if any of them make it. But with the current roster, I do not believe popularity alone would be a deciding factor for them. Skull Kid has the biggest chances I'd say, but he's not quite up there with the newcomers we've got so far.

Fingers crossed though.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I like many others do share some of the hope for a mix of new comers and mentioned as well as some echoes since that has been a bigger push this time around.

When it comes to Pokemon, specifically to generation 7, has Sakurai done the same thing when it comes to having a new one on the roster? As we may recall, he included Greninja at the beginning of his production of Smash while X and Y were being developed and came up with the style and moveset per his thoughts on it. (Which correlated with X & Y so well.) So if he has done something similar to this matter, since he created the roster in 2015 and Sun and Moon was released a yearish later, then we could have a new generation pokemon on the roster.

As for other characters that have come out after the fact, I wonder if there will be DLC later to include more fighters, costumes, etc. like last time. I would be even fine if they are just echoes, since it takes considerable time and resources to develop a "new" fighter. IF that is the case, then there is a lot of possibility over the next few years.

I should say people like me wouldn't mind paying some money for DLC characters since we know the game is pretty much a fully baked product and not an unfinished product and make people pay more to "finish" it. That kind of DLC I am not for, but for this, I would be if it meant more characters AFTER the game is finished due to popularity, etc.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think for newcomers the base roster is gonna be exclusively bringing older characters back.
If Skull Kid is in, which I don't think he will be, the final four new characters will be him, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo.
Otherwise I have no idea who the fourth will be.

DLC will be regulated to newer characters like Bandana Dee, Pokemon, ARMS, and some big third parties like Rayman.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think for newcomers the base roster is gonna be exclusively bringing older characters back.
If Skull Kid is in, which I don't think he will be, the final four new characters will be him, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo.
Otherwise I have no idea who the fourth will be.

DLC will be regulated to newer characters like Bandana Dee, Pokemon, ARMS, and some big third parties like Rayman.
I don't think Rayman is a big third party..people only started wanting him after he got a trophy in Wii U, before that it was the 3rd Parties already in at the time, Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Geno, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Kingdom Hearts.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't think Rayman is a big third party..people only started wanting him after he got a trophy in Wii U, before that it was the 3rd Parties already in at the time, Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Geno, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Kingdom Hearts.
That's why I think he'd be DLC. He gained a lot of popularity thanks to the Omni fake leak that I saw tons of people requesting him and predicting him on YouTube.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Definitely not trying to downplay their importance and how loved these characters are. I would welcome their addition with open arms and think they would be FUN to play as. But I do believe that characters that tick all boxes were given priority, like all the unique newcomers we've got. So far, all four have appeared in multiple games, are central to the story, are popular, recognizable and still relevant. Perhaps K. Rool misses the relevancy, but he was likely the ballot winner and I do believe he'll be brought back in the next DKC game.

I guess we should hope and see if any of them make it. But with the current roster, I do not believe popularity alone would be a deciding factor for them. Skull Kid has the biggest chances I'd say, but he's not quite up there with the newcomers we've got so far.

Fingers crossed though.
You also have to remember that the ballot was needed for something. And I highly doubt it was just for Bayonetta. King K. Rool, Simon, Ridley, and even the Inklings were really popular on the ballot. Even popular characters who became assists like Shovel Knight and Bomberman show that Sakurai is aware of how popular they are. According to a lot of Ballot polls (especially SSB4Dojo SSB4Dojo ’s) characters like Isaac, Geno, BWD, and B&K are super popular among fans and are right behind King K. Rool and Ridley, in terms of popularity.

You also have to look at how iconic a characteristic p is. Isaac is the face of the Golden Sun series, one of the most commercially and critically successful games on the GBA. Banjo and Kazooie were once one of the big names for Nintendo, being one of the stars on the N64. Skull Kid is one of the most recognizable villains of the LoZ series.

Smash has focused on recent characters since Melee and I think Sakurai is focusing on characters that Nintendo and Smash fans have been clamoring for for years.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Hi. I wanted to share my top ten most wanted characters, by sharing a list that showed that there really was nobody left to put into this game. With a few exceptions, Nintendo ran out of good characters to add before Brawl. Now y’all are just scraping the bottom of the barrel. You know why so many people wanted Ridley and K. Rool? Not because they’re great and relevant characters, but because that’s really all Nintendo had left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom