• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If only the most iconic characters got into Smash, you know what the roster would be?

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlink::ultmiifighters:
:ultpacman::ultsonic::ultryu:

That and your definition of iconic and the "scale" you made is bafflingly inconsistent and not at all based in reality. It seems more like a way to gatekeep characters you don't personally like.
You're almost correct! But the scale only applies to 3rd parties not 1st parties. I'm not trying to gatekeep characters that I don't like. I'm trying to gatekeep 3rd party characters who aren't highly iconic and limit them to an assist trophy. And I actually like some of the non-highly iconic 3rd party characters, such as Beck and Quote.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So how many additional fighters are people expecting? The way it was worded certainly doesn't sound like a full pass but I also think it'll be more than one.

As other people have said, 3 does sound right. Plus it means I can un stack my CSS for that beautiful symmetry.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So how many additional fighters are people expecting? The way it was worded certainly doesn't sound like a full pass but I also think it'll be more than one.

As other people have said, 3 does right. Plus it means I can un stack my CSS for that beautiful symmetry.
At least three; from how it was announced, though, it sounds like the DLC and its characters may not be fully planned out yet, so I think there’s a chance we could end up with 5 again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You're almost correct! But the scale only applies to 3rd parties not 1st parties.
Even then it still wouldn't be right. Just the fact that Shovel Knight was put on the same level as Mighty Number Nine is enough to discredit the whole list.

Just say you don't like Joker, dude. By attempting to prove that he doesn't "deserve" to be in by using a totally subjective 'iconicness scale" you're only making yourself look foolish. It's not a good look.

ze9

Smash Ace

As other people have said, 3 does right. Plus it means I can un stack my CSS for that beautiful symmetry.
More than 3 for sure, in my opinion. I think Sakurai's pretty much going to stay on Ultimate until Switch is alive and/or DLC sales start to dwindle down. That's more or less what he said at the end of the Direct.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

We're definitely getting two post-Pass characters at least, given the wording was a pluralized "additional fighters," but as for how many I think we'll get, I'm guessing four.

I have no real reason for that number, but it's just a gut feeling.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea what they're going to do with the DLC outside of the pack, so anything goes I guess...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If this subjective iconic stuff mattered, Steve would’ve been in before Banjo.

please put Steve in, Sakurai, I need (okay, want) a Banjo, Kazooie, and Steve team.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Even then it still wouldn't be right. Just the fact that Shovel Knight was put on the same level as Mighty Number Nine is enough to discredit the whole list.
Well these iconicness estimations aren't 100% accurate.

Just say you don't like Joker, dude.
Since I don't like Joker as a playable character, I can simply remove him from the roster by making a moveset PSA mod of another character of my choice.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think Sakurai's pretty much going to stay on Ultimate until Switch is alive
Assuming he was serious about it being 10 years until the next Smash, I'm betting on 3 years of DLC, 3 years working on a non-Smash game, and 3 on Smash 6.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
It wouldn't be too hard to make this guy fit in to the Smash Bros universe, right?

This is Flippy Doggenbottom, a character from a game called Disney's Toontown Online. He's the mayor of Toontown, the place which the entire game is named after. You've probably never heard much of Toontown, but it's an MMORPG where you play as a brightly colored animal called a "Toon" and use all sorts of cartoony gags to fight against evil robots who look like businessmen. These business robots are called Cogs, and they want to turn the colorful world of Toontown into a dull, gray corporate wasteland. I played this game a lot when it was a big thing, but now all there's left of it are numerous private servers.

There was even a Japanese version of Toontown, and artwork of Flippy to go with it:

Sorry for the long description of what Toontown is, but I just wanted to be sure you knew what it was.
I actually played toontown many years ago LOL. Probably not going to be this guy since it’s owned by Disney. If anything Mickey would be the first Disney character to be put in. But nice try with the sarcasm sweetie!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Thinking Sakurai and friends might go for the big 100 before wrapping it up. Otherwise, filling the unused spaces sounds about right. For the lowest amount I could see post-pass, seven more, of which three have stages/music/Spirits and the rest do not.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Thinking Sakurai and friends might go for the big 100 before wrapping it up. Otherwise, filling the unused spaces sounds about right. For the lowest amount I could see post-pass, seven more, of which three have stages/music/Spirits and the rest do not.
Im not sure wed get that much. I think 3 lowest, 7 absolute max as of now. Id love to be proven wrong though.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Yeah, and I said in my very first post that I obviously don't speak for all women. I never said I spoke for everyone. But I'm fairly certain the opposition doesn't speak for all or even most really, given my experience. I'm totally fine with people wanting whatever they want. I just feel that the moral or ethical argument is completely absurd and disingenous.

Hell, I preferred Mai over Terry, simply cause I thought she was more popular, and would make for a more interesting character overall. But I don't see it as some injustice that needs correcting that we got Terry over Mai, nor do I use the shallow argument that it NEEDS (key word there being needs, as that keeps getting tossed around) to happen to appeal to a certain demographic. It's a shame that I can't post the tweets given their explicit nature, but the majority of female gamers seem to be more than happy with Terry's inclusion. Saying that male characters don't appeal to female gamers is absurd.

Honestly, I feel sorry for anyone whose enjoyment of a videogame is directly proportional to its diversity quota. I don't see why that should matter to anyone.

Like, if there's one female character that I'd personally like to see going forward it's Reimu, and it's not for any crazy reasons like what I'm seeing tossed around here. It's simply cause I know it'd make a bunch of elementary school kids that I know super happy if she got it, because they really like the character.

And that's about as much as I'm gonna say on that topic tbh. Feel free to continue to debate the imporatance of idenity and gender politics in a cartoon fighting game I guess, I'm just glad Japan doesn't see things the same way as the rest of you. It's a very strange way of viewing the world.
I finf it funny how you're complaining about us discussing representation in a cartoon fighting game when said fighting game also features characters from blatantly political games. The Metal Gear franchise is about as anti-war as a piece of media can get, one of Mother 3's major plot points is a critique of capitalism, and Persona 5 is literally about standing up against corrupt adults abusing their power, which also happens to include politicians. I don't know about you, but representing those games seems like a more political act than including women or POC. Quite frankly, the fact that you see inclusion as something inherently political speaks volumes about your character.

Nobody is basing their enjoyment of the game off a "representation quota." Ultimate is one of my favorite games of all time and no roster inclusion will change that. The reason I'm criticizing the lacking female representation is because I love the game and want to see it improve. Character variety in general is one of Smash's strongest aspects, and having a DLC lineup of almost exclusively light skinned human men kinda goes against that. Sure their movesets could not be more unique from each other, but aesthetically it looks kinda boring and feels alienating to anyone who doesn't fall into those categories. There's a reason why I found Final Fantasy IX's cast way more compelling than XV's, because a group of characters with varying backgrounds and designs is way more interesting than four anime prettyboys. The same logic can be applied to representing women or any marginalized group. Diversity inherently makes your cast more interesting because it offers more variety, whether we're talking about fantasy races or real-life minority groups. This is the last thing I'm gonna say on the topic because it's becoming exhausting, but I just want people to understand that wanting more diversity in the roster is a valid criticism because Smash is about bringing together vastly different characters from different worlds, and representing a variety of characters fits within that.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
We're definitely getting two post-Pass characters at least, given the wording was a pluralized "additional fighters," but as for how many I think we'll get, I'm guessing four.

I have no real reason for that number, but it's just a gut feeling.
Four is something I can see. I don’t see a whole new Fighter’s Pass with five characters happening, but rather solo/individual packs, and four sounds like a good number of those.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
It would be amazing to have Papyrus replace Waluigi's assist trophy model, if Waluigi gets released as DLC fighter.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
How do people feel about the content of the fighters? For example, :ultpiranha: came with no stage, music, or DLC spirits and is $4.99 and I feel that could be the case with another fighter. I think this is what would open the way for 1st party fighters—that we have a price point.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Would be pretty neat to get 5 unique newcomers (preferably at least mostly from Nintendo franchises), as well as 5 echo characters for a total of 10. Still, echo fighters don't take nearly as much work as unique characters, so it's not like they'd be making 10 characters. I could actually see the 5 echoes being released at the same time to end off DLC after a staggered release of the 5 newcomers. I got this 10 characters number from those datamined spaces.

Crazy to think that DLC will likely go into 2021 regardless. With that, Smash would basically be the only thing Sakurai has been doing for nearly a decade!

7NATOR

Smash Master
It Would be cool to have 100 Characters in Smash Ultimate. I Don't think it would happen though, Because that's 18 Characters you have to make, and not only will that really kill DLC Budget, But that will also Kill our Wallets

I Guess it could happen though. Dragon Ball FighterZ is looking it might have 18 DLC Fighters in total

8 characters in first season pass

6 in 2nd Season Pass

And there were 4 datamined Character slots, pointing toward season 3

Granted Dragon Ball FighterZ isn't working with 3rd party characters, game is smaller in roster overall, and none of the characters come with any new stages, but Nintendo probably has a bigger budget and such

Subtracting 5 from 18 is 13. with 82 characters in roster already, that's 95 characters, close to 100

So it could probably get close to 100. I bet you not every one of the Extra DLC Characters are gonna come with stages or even spirits or things like that. It would be wise to go for Characters from already represented Franchises along with new ones to beef uo character count

Characters like Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid, Dixie, Rex are popular requests that probably don't have to come with new stages or spirits. Maybe new music at best

A Character like Isaac, while he has to come with a stage and spirits, doesn't have 3rd party licensing costs tied to him

I Just hope at the end of all of this, they release a Definitive version of Smash Ultimate that comes with all the DLC, and maybe a Smash Run mode at that

For Fighter Pass #5, I'm thinking it's either Ryu Hayubusa, KOS-MOS, or Reimu for right now

SKX31

Smash Master

More than 3. Mostly because of Sakurai seemingly wanting to go the distance himself. See how far he can push. Nintendo also seem open to that. The key point though is that Sakurai and Nintendo want to maintain flexibility in case something happens.

I think it's partly because of external pressure - namely, the Chinese release. It'd be really weird for Chinese Smash buyers if they only could get already-released DLC. Sure, Terry and Sans are popular in China, but the Chinese Switch release is not expected before April 2020. I do assume that Smash will either be a Switch launch title there or follow shortly after.

Nintendo and Tencent do have the option of bundling the Fighter Pass and the released Mii Costumes into the Chinese Smash for free. I think they'll take that option, especially if Fighter 5 is another Chinese fan pick (like Tracer). The Chinese console scene is pretty small and a lot of the consoles there (including Switches) are grey market imports from Hong Kong, America or Japan. Bundling the FP and Costumes could thus serve as a sweetener for the "Officially Approved Smash".

Sidenote: I've been digging deep into the Chinese net recently. Most videos / mirrors don't have that many views (including character reveals). I do assume this is because Chinese Smash hasn't been announced yet. However, the Sans reveal got at least 2 million views over there.

Last edited:

Renjamin

Smash Cadet
I hope we don't get too many fighters so the DLC can be over and done with, I love this game but it's seriously annoying how on any Nintendo tweet, forum video ETC the comments are filled with 'What about Smash', 'Add X to Smash', 'I'll sacrifice your firstborn child to Hades we don't get X in smash'

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hope we don't get too many fighters so the DLC can be over and done with, I love this game but it's seriously annoying how on any Nintendo tweet, forum video ETC the comments are filled with 'What about Smash', 'Add X to Smash', 'I'll sacrifice your firstborn child to Hades we don't get X in smash'
People spammed it since Bayo came out until they confirmed Smash so they'll never stop

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How do people feel about the content of the fighters? For example, :ultpiranha: came with no stage, music, or DLC spirits and is $4.99 and I feel that could be the case with another fighter. I think this is what would open the way for 1st party fighters—that we have a price point.
Honestly, I couldn't care less if my most wanted first party picks came with nothing but themselves. As long as they're there I'm good. I mean come on, how many people here actually think any amount of stages, music, .png files, world of light content, or anything else comes even remotely close to a playable character status?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like people somehow overstate the importance of stages around here.

While they need significant work to be completed, Nintendo isn't going to ditch third parties just to avoid adding stages, considering how much publicity and (appearently) money they make.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I couldn't care less if my most wanted first party picks came with nothing but themselves. As long as they're there I'm good. I mean come on, how many people here actually think any amount of stages, music, .png files, world of light content, or anything else comes even remotely close to a playable character status?
*Final Fantasy VII fans are typing*

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
It Would be cool to have 100 Characters in Smash Ultimate. I Don't think it would happen though, Because that's 18 Characters you have to make, and not only will that really kill DLC Budget, But that will also Kill our Wallets

I Guess it could happen though. Dragon Ball FighterZ is looking it might have 18 DLC Fighters in total

6 in 2nd Season Pass

Granted Dragon Ball FighterZ isn't working with 3rd party characters, game is smaller in roster overall, and none of the characters come with any new stages, but Nintendo probably has a bigger budget and such

Subtracting 5 from 18 is 13. with 82 characters in roster already, that's 95 characters, close to 100

So it could probably get close to 100. I bet you not every one of the Extra DLC Characters are gonna come with stages or even spirits or things like that. It would be wise to go for Characters from already represented Franchises along with new ones to beef uo character count

Characters like Geno, Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid, Dixie, Rex are popular requests that probably don't have to come with new stages or spirits. Maybe new music at best

A Character like Isaac, while he has to come with a stage and spirits, doesn't have 3rd party licensing costs tied to him

I Just hope at the end of all of this, they release a Definitive version of Smash Ultimate that comes with all the DLC, and maybe a Smash Run mode at that

For Fighter Pass #5, I'm thinking it's either Ryu Hayubusa, KOS-MOS, or Reimu for right now
Didn't know about the extra slots for FighterZ. That's pretty cool. Also, XV2 is still getting DLC 3 years after launch (meanwhile Ultimate has already sold roughly more than XV1, XV2 and FighterZ COMBINED).

That being said, while 100 characters would be awesome, I also think it is a bridge too far at the moment. That being said, given the datamined slots found in WoL, I think exceeding 90 is at least a distinct possibility. Should at least exceed 85. I don't really think AT characters have a chance (coud see Waluigi getting a full body Mii costume), but I do hope to see characters like Rex, Dixie and Bandana Dee!

Speaking of ATs, I wonder if we could get DLC ATs, like maybe Rex as a playable character and Elma as an AT?

D

Deleted member

6 in 2nd Season Pass

KOS-MOS? Why do you think it's possibly her?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Don't look at Ed Boon's twitter replies ever then lol

7NATOR

Smash Master
Didn't know about the extra slots for FighterZ. That's pretty cool. Also, XV2 is still getting DLC 3 years after launch (meanwhile Ultimate has already sold roughly more than XV1, XV2 and FighterZ COMBINED).

That being said, while 100 characters would be awesome, I also think it is a bridge too far at the moment. That being said, given the datamined slots found in WoL, I think exceeding 90 is at least a distinct possibility. Should at least exceed 85. I don't really think AT characters have a chance (coud see Waluigi getting a full body Mii costume), but I do hope to see characters like Rex, Dixie and Bandana Dee!

Speaking of ATs, I wonder if we could get DLC ATs, like maybe Rex as a playable character and Elma as an AT?
I Disagree about AT's Not having a chance. It seems that this is the first time that DLC hasn't been Planned. So i bet anyone is on the table

KOS-MOS? Why do you think it's possibly her?
Personally i have no idea myself. She would be the most niche character on the pass yes. At the same time though i can see Namco and Monolioth Pulling strings to get her in, and for the fact that Her being a mech type fighter would be cool (and yes i know the Female Mech leak is fake)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So I guess it's safe to say that the least likely characters to make it are characters own by Sony for reasons that have probably been explained already (that being Sony is unwilling to play ball regarding a lot of things and probable mutual dislike between Sony and Nintendo regarding the CD-i)

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Hey next year is the Olympic game, the Olympic game takes its name from Mount Olympus where the old Greek Gods lived, we have this videogame character that are related to this mythology that goes on a revenge spree.

Ok Kratos is confirmed for 2020 DLC.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, if the new DLC characters come with stages, do y’all think they’ll just add a “Page 2” tab next to the custom stages one?
Considering there is a perfectly sized empty space in the SSS for a third page. Yeah most likely.
They'll probably also put an ugly DLC stages bar where the five DLC stages currently are too like they did with Smash 3DS in order to move them all to that page...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom