• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So actually, how are you guys feeling about Another Pokemon now? Also about another Mario Character?
I'm down for another Pokémon, as long as it's Hawlucha, it'd be nice to have a face wrestler, to oppose Incineroar's heel.
I think Lucario needs a bit of a rework. His attacks are probably fine, but his Aura probably needs to be more than a simple damage scale. Maybe make his moves combo oriented at low percents and kill oriented with high percents.
This, all of this. I miss the days where you could at least string together your standard triple jab into Force Palm at low percent.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mojang treats him as one though. He and Alex feel similar to how Game Freak and TPC treat most playable Pokémon trainers.
Cool but SonicSmasher asked why people disliked Steve, I gave my opinion. I couldn't care less what Mojang thinks.

SKX31

Smash Master
1999: wurs Banjo

2002: oh no not Banjo

2003-2015: wurs Isaac

November 12, 2015: CLOUD STRIFE

2015-2018: wurs Isaac

2019: oh look its Banjo

2020: guh-huh

2021: wurs Isaac

It's like poetry
Okay, I wanna take y'all for a Smashin' wild ride:

2000: wurs Harry Potter (ooof)

2002: yay! beating lvl 8 computers!

2004: Proceeds to Self-Destruct the slowest possible way by bumping into a flipper as Luigi... gliding backwards to the blast zone while taunting to my doom in Mushroom Kingdom. Also manages to get a convincing 5 game W streak as Falco amongst my casual friend group. The model of consistency.

2006: Audi famam illius! Can'twaitforBraw- SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

2007: Sonic'sinthegame? Awesome!

2008: this game is slow! but still fun. also Subspace is quite amazing!

2010: KnowMyPower! MetaKnightBorken pls ban!

2013: hey Mega Man's in? cool beans.

2014: Hoo Hah all the way.

2015: CLOUD'S IN? (and hey, Bayonetta. heard of her, she's a cool choice)

2017: Watches people get constantly carried to the blast zone by Sm4sh Bayonetta again, to my despair.

2018: DAY 1 BUY! Also, RIDLEY!

2019: Joker? Now that's an amazing choice Sakura- Gets wrecked by Online Jokers. FFFFFFffff.... just gotta play around them.

Current me: Looks around, content that I'll have fun regardless of which characters get in. Although I have my hopes for certain characters. Finally feels inner peace.

Nah, in Minecraft teabagging is a universal sign of peace/playfulness.
On one hand, I'm hoping that you're right...

But on the other, I just know that online Steves will disrespect teabag a lot the first two weeks.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Agree to disagree then.
How do you disagree on a fact though :S

Look it's perfectly fine if you dislike him for not having much defined personality besides being friends with Alex, being cool and goofy in trailers and such, and what he and Alex like (regarding mining or hunting etc.) in a Lego Club magazine, but saying he isn't a character isn't true.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I do want to mention, however, is like Steve/Minecraft or not, you gotta give Sakurai props for how in-depth he went to represent Minecraft. From the moveset, to the final smash, and the stage.

okay but he is a character and not just the avatar.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in other news, at least we finally have an Indie character playable in Smash!

And by that, I mean Mojang was an indie developer before they were brought by Microsoft. Microsoft or not, the Indie thing should still count to an extent, would it? Just trying to make sure here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
i know this sounds like a really odd question but what are all of the skins? i saw that there was obviously steve, alex, zombie, enderman, then there's also a shot of tennis steve and scottish(?) steve but what would the remaining two skins be?
Tennis Alex and Swedish Alex. Check the site.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
How do you disagree on a fact though :S

Look it's perfectly fine if you dislike him for not having much defined personality besides being friends with Alex, being cool and goofy in trailers and such, and what he and Alex like (regarding mining or hunting etc.) in a Lego Club magazine, but saying he isn't a character isn't true.
Come on man let's not get into this. Do you really want to get into an argument over the definition of a character?

You got one of your most wanted today, just enjoy that. Someone asked why people dislike Steve, I tried to give them insight into that. Don't come to pick a fight. It's a bad look.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I still couldn't care less about leaks. This has gotten me curious about what the heck Vergeben's leak was all about, but that's it.

I really hope the rest of the DLC remains a surprise. Leaks usually do way more harm than good.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Come on man let's not get into this. Do you really want to get into an argument over the definition of a character?

You got one of your most wanted today, just enjoy that. Someone asked why people dislike Steve, I tried to give them insight into that. Don't come to pick a fight. It's a bad look.
Yeah, let us not pick fights. Whatever others think, I still think Steve looks cool to play as. One's own opinion is the thing that should matter most.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
From a business perspective, absolutely. Fighter's Pass #2 was beginning to lose a bit of its spotlight and it really needed something big to get eyes back on Smash. Pulling out the second biggest Smash reveal period after Sonic's reveal in Brawl was exactly what the doctor ordered and then some. Smash reveals tend to do very well on social media in general, but it was almost surreal seeing the trending tab on website go from discussing the election to discussing Minecraft and Smash. A Fighter's Pass 2 gift card just got on a lot of kid's Christmas lists.

For the hardcore fanbase, it's alright. Steve's reception is pretty good so far, but it was always going to be divisive to a certain degree. Getting it out of the way now, when there's lots of characters left and tensions are overall low, is a smart play. I think it might have gone over slightly better if this announcement followed a more unanimously celebrated character reveal though.
I feel that some of the hardcore Nintendo Smash scene is pretty stuck in some 2017 bubble were people still despised Minecraft. I thought the internet came back around to it around last year. It is odd how disconnected a chunk of hardcore Smash can be sometimes.

It is also a bit baffling and ironic considering Nintendo is mainly targeted towards kids first while Minecraft was always targeted towards everyone first. Correct me if I'm misremembering but wasn't one of the first places that made Minecraft get attention 4chan? The minor overblown elements of kids and cringe things being associated with the series seems to be the main reason some people are bothered. Not liking something because kids like it is a very funny concept to be even slightly prevalent in the Smash scene and I'd argue every big series has a cringe rabbit hole whether it was spotlighted or not.

Of course being sad or disappointed because the character you want didn't get in yet is understandable but that wasn't really what I meant. I personally am neutral to happy on the inclusion because it really takes the gaming crossover celebration element to a new heights once again and that's what I really liked about Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and the Mii Costumes. Min Min and Byleth were creative and decently fun inclusions but not what mainly gets me excited about Super Smash Brothers.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I do wonder if Sakurai is really going to explain Minecraft on Saturday... before Minecon.

Like... are there people who don't know what Minecraft is?

Also *ing 7:30am ****ing why * ****

S'a good post, this
Yeah, I described them as a "He" when it was a "They". We all make mistakes.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Not super familar with anything in Minecraft that wasn't there in, like, 2013, but is there any reason Steve and Alex have their tennis, Scottish, and Swedish skins as their remaining alts? Like, not to disrespect those alts, they just seem... random. Is there some significance to those alts that I'm missing?

TheBeastHimself

I will say that I agree with you on Steve not being a "character." At the end of the day, he's just the default player skin. For that reason alone, the skin has become synonymous with Minecraft, so of course if a Minecraft rep were to get in, they would don the default player skin. But there is no lore, personality, or depth to Steve. He's like Villager.

Not super familar with anything in Minecraft that wasn't there in, like, 2013, but is there any reason Steve and Alex have their tennis, Scottish, and Swedish skins as their remaining alts? Like, not to disrespect those alts, they just seem... random. Is there some significance to those alts that I'm missing?
Those outfits were part of the default skin pack in the original release of Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition back in the early 2010s.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Man, if anything was drawn from a hat, it was those extra skins.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
They're default skins that are included for free in the console editions, so for people who play those versions, they're probably recognizable.

I primarily play Java Edition, so I use full on custom skins. References to the console editions will be a little lost on me since I only occasionally play my Switch version of the game, lol.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Those skins come from the default skin pack which is in the Switch version of Minecraft. I'm guessing that's the reason why they went with them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I even said I don't care if you don't like him, I don't care at all. I'm just tired of people treating Steve like he isn't a character when he clearly is even if he's not as well-defined like some others. You don't have to be well-defined to be a character, otherwise Red isn't a character either (outside of Generations) nor the other Pokémon trainers and Villager definitely isn't since he has less than Steve (Steve gets facial expressions in the 1.16 trailer so about on par there).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I even said I don't care if you don't like him, I don't care at all. I'm just tired of people of treating Steve like isn't a character when he clearly is even if he's not as well-defined like some others. You don't have to be well-defined to be a character, otherwise Red isn't a character either (outside of Generations) nor the other Pokémon trainers.
Man, I personally could have hated Steve, myself, but I was okay with it when I first saw him and then loved seeing how he fought. Just saying.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I don't agree with the comparison to Villager but I'll leave it at that.
Well if you don't mind, I'd actually like to have a discussion about this. Not an argument, I don't want to go back and forth. I simply want to hear your reasoning as to why, and I'll respect what you have to say because it's your interpretation of a character. We can take it to PMs if you want.

The only real difference I see is that Villager is customizable and not a simple "skin," and that Villager was once the mayor in a game. But thinking about it now, maybe that's enough reason to validate your point.

SKX31

Smash Master
I do wonder if Sakurai is really going to explain Minecraft on Saturday... before Minecon.

Like... are there people who don't know what Minecraft is?

Also ing 7:30am **ing why * *
Likely going to go over Steve's moveset and the stage. There are important aspects: the trailer didn't elaborate on: how much Steve's able to craft, if Steve can place the blocks above the edge or not (which will impact edgeguard situations), the rate resources are gathered and consumed etc.

If I may be blunt, I honestly think you're letting your dislike get a bit ahead of yourself here.

They're default skins that are included for free in the console editions, so for people who play those versions, they're probably recognizable.

I primarily play Java Edition, so I use full on custom skins. References to the console editions will be a little lost on me since I only occasionally play my Switch version of the game, lol.
The reasons those skins were in the console edition is likely only known within the team - but it really looks like several Mojang people love tennis when they modeled the skins after Björn Borg and Serena Williams, two of the most prominent people within the sport.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do wonder if Sakurai is really going to explain Minecraft on Saturday... before Minecon
After showcasing Steve's full moveset, he will give an elaborate description on every single block and mob that shows up on the stage, followed by an explanation on the concept of cycling between day and night.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well if you don't mind, I'd actually like to have a discussion about this. Not an argument, I don't want to go back and forth. I simply want to hear your reasoning as to why, and I'll respect what you have to say because it's your interpretation of a character. We can take it to PMs if you want.

The only real difference I see is that Villager is customizable and not a simple "skin," and that Villager was once the mayor in a game. But thinking about it now, maybe that's enough reason to validate your point.
Sure, I'm fine with taking it to PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom