• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just admit ya'll just don't like Fire Emblem and move on lol

Corrin got in for the exact same reason, the devs (not anyone high up, I must stress this out) wanted a new character at the time as well
I didnt realize we had someone from Nintendo here to explain who made what decisions.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Can we just talk about the subtle ways in which Sakurai has said "**** you and your opinions" when revealing characters? Yes, I'm exaggerating, but c'mon this **** is funny. Like when he gave the finger during Byleth's reveal trailer. I know he didn't actually give the finger, but like, the implication is there and Sakurai was probably like "what's a good way to justify giving the audience the finger without technically doing it?"

Also, Steve just staring dead into the camera and teabagging.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How much did Splatoon sell back in it's heyday, again?

If ARMS is anything like it, it'll get a sequel for sure someday. It may not even be a few years off, we just have no clue it exists yet.

I wouldn't say Min Min's inclusion was so much an attempt to "revive" it when a single very new game IP wasn't exactly "dead" to begin with.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
2020 Me, "Hey 2018 me, how was that E3?"

2018 Me, "Whoa, it was AWESOME Ridley and everyone is here! What's it like in the future? Who's your main?"

2020 Me, "Oh man, Ultimate's great, we've gotten 2 waves of DLC characters, and my current main is Enderman."

2018, "Oh that's awes-----wait... what?"
Still got nothing on maining Sanshead, let's be real.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
2020 Me, "Hey 2018 me, how was that E3?"

2018 Me, "Whoa, it was AWESOME Ridley and everyone is here! What's it like in the future? Who's your main?"

2020 Me, "Oh man, Ultimate's great, we've gotten 2 waves of DLC characters, and my current main is Enderman."

2018, "Oh that's awes-----wait... what?"
2020 Me: "Yeah, and I main Cup Head Sans and Vault Boy Callie!"

2018 Me: "You what now?"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we were to go beyond fiction to get a widely known public figure in Smash, I feel like they should still have some ties to Nintendo like most third party characters in Smash do.

So, just going to throw it out there:

I hate how much of a colossal failure Codename steam was.

When I played it I saw some serious potential for a good addition to smash but I know it's never going to happen because there's no incentive to do it.

TheBeastHimself

I hate how much of a colossal failure Codename steam was.

When I played it I saw some serious potential for a good addition to smash but I know it's never going to happen because there's no incentive to do it.
And they hyped that game up to, I thought it was going to be the start of something new. I remember seeing it have dedicated sections in a few Nintendo Directs before release.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How much did Splatoon sell back in it's heyday, again?

If ARMS is anything like it, it'll get a sequel for sure someday. It may not even be a few years off, we just have no clue it exists yet.

I wouldn't say Min Min's inclusion was so much an attempt to "revive" it when a single very new game IP wasn't exactly "dead" to begin with.
The original Splatoon did around 5 mil. But on the Wii U. Which is hugely impressive.

ARMS has done a little over 2 mil. But that's still very good for a new IP. Nintendo has greenlit sequels for less. I think even Astral Chain will continue, and it's around 1 mil. I mean, that's still above how Xenoblade began, and how Bayo 2 did.

But now Ring Fit is probably going to cap out above Splatoon 1. I think right now it's over 4 mil, but I imagine it'll keep selling. That's why I personally think Ring Fit is a lock for inclusion next time. And yes, I know "lock" is thrown around very liberally, usually. But I believe it fits here.

Shroob

Sup?
I think Sakurai said during an interview at one point that he was initially against Corrin, but was convinced that they could be a unique character by the people working under him.
That would be correct.

Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Guys, now that we know Sakurai spoke with Mojang 5 years ago before he put Steve in Smash...

Does that mean Cacomallow could be real? The reason a lot of us think it's fake is because it's been about a year since it came out, but now we know characters (and therefore potentially Mii Costumes) can be much longer in development.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Okay but would Jesus be another camper?
All questions about Jesus shall be deffered to Deep Leffen Bot at this time.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I didnt realize we had someone from Nintendo here to explain who made what decisions.
1601597084756.png

TheBeastHimself

I wonder if ARMS will eventually take off the way Splatoon did. I'm not sure how they missed the mark. I haven't played ARMS myself so excuse any ignorance that spews outta my mouth, but from what I know, ARMS has a considerable fanbase, but nothing huge or game-changing. It's just kind of like "ARMS, yeah, that Switch launch title about boxing. It was fun for a few hours."

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Guys, now that we know Sakurai spoke with Mojang 5 years ago before he put Steve in Smash...

Does that mean Cacomallow could be real? The reason a lot of us think it's fake is because it's been about a year since it came out, but now we know characters (and therefore potentially Mii Costumes) can be much longer in development.
Mii Costumes would be much quicker. I doubt Toby Fox played an early beta of Ultimate with Sakurai.

SKX31

Smash Master
If we were to go beyond fiction to get a widely known public figure in Smash, I feel like they should still have some ties to Nintendo like most third party characters in Smash do.

So, just going to throw it out there:

Lincoln would be amazing - that said, he's not the OG Nintendo character though:

:4pacman:

Also, Napoleon has his own GBA game (only officially released in Japan and France, of course), and that game's protagonist is a Spirit in Ultimate.

I usually hang around the competitive discussion thread, but just wanted to come in here and say congrats to anyone who wanted Steve and Minecraft content in general in Smash, I'm happy for y'all! Personally, the reveal was not at all what I was expecting and I was initially disappointed by it (and still not super thrilled), but I can at least appreciate how amazing it is to have Minecraft represented in smash from a crossover standpoint and I'm intrigued by how he'll function (though he looks extremely campy; probably going to be a nightmare to fight against on quickplay lol).

Can't speak much about most of these characters, but I completely agree with buffs for :ultlucario: and :ultbanjokazooie:. I've played both characters pretty seriously in ultimate, and while I think most of the smash community vastly exaggerates how "underwhelming" they are as characters, they both suffer from lackluster start up on their moves and generally don't have much in the way of safe moves.

I agree with the user who said Lucario needs fdata buffs (especially dtilt and ftilt; as it stands now, his cqc is quite poor because he basically has the range of :ultmario: with the start up of :ultshulk: on many of his moves), but I also want to add that force palm grab NEEDS to get fixed so that Lucario can have a consistent command grab that he can use to punish opponents for abusing shield and not risk it completely whiffing point blank on shield. Aura sphere is also a bit laggy on start up and cool down, so maybe fix that to avoid him getting smothered so easily. Those fixes alone would probably raise him up nearly a full tier and make him a much more viable competitive character.

:ultbanjokazooie: needs much less by comparison, Imo. Less landing lag on bair and nair would be great, and maybe making the latter be a smidge faster with more damage output could be a nice QoL change. Fair is pretty solid, but could afford 3 or so frames of start up to make it a truly great move. Up smash is unnecessarily unsafe on shield at -35, and the last move I'd like to see fixed is dtilt (again, just a couple frames shaved off its start up would be quite nice).

With these improvements, I think both Lucario and Banjo would be in pretty good spots and they'd feel solid enough to better justify the substantial time and effort it takes to learn their unintuitive kits and use them well. The longer gaps between character reveals and releases for DLC at this point may help the odds that characters with inconsistencies in their tools will end up getting fixed/buffed, but we'll have to wait and see.
Oh, didn't realize that there was a competitive discussion thread. Well, now I'll watch that one too. Your input is very much appriciated, as a competitive guy myself.

Lucario, yeah, agreed on the frame data / Force Palm fixes. Never really played the character beyond the Classic run, but Lucario felt exactly like you described. They did nerf grabs overall (because they were over-centralized in Smash 4) but likely didn't fully account for how that would affect Lucario. Which is a massive shame, because he needs to be able to condition people into shield so Force Palm can come into play.

I've always had the impression that B-K's Up Tilt's the wonkiest of the bunch, but that's because it looks like it should hit low-profiling opponents when it... doesn't. But that might be intentional since that was designed to be an anti-air. I don't think it helps that Grenades are outdone by Snake's, so people might favor Snake's frame 1 over B-K's (Nerf Snake's grenades a little, perhaps?). But I also agree that B-K need much less to feel viable.

We'll have to wait and see indeed, especially since the major buffs can come at seemingly random (the Cloud buffs in 7.0, which I loved for obvious reasons).

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

No, Cacomallow was, is and always will be fake.
I've seen someone showing screenshot of an hat that was identical to the one in the "leak" and confirming that it was modded. The person claimed that it was not the actual thing, it was a copy, but it was perfectly identical to polygon level and the "glitch" they were pointing out as proof that it was impossible to fully recreate it was instead the Mii's black hair clipping through the hat's model and not really a glitch.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

It was always fake

and always will be

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The original Splatoon did around 5 mil. But on the Wii U. Which is hugely impressive.

ARMS has done a little over 2 mil. But that's still very good for a new IP. Nintendo has greenlit sequels for less. I think even Astral Chain will continue, and it's around 1 mil. I mean, that's still above how Xenoblade began, and how Bayo 2 did.

But now Ring Fit is probably going to cap out above Splatoon 1. I think right now it's over 4 mil, but I imagine it'll keep selling. That's why I personally think Ring Fit is a lock for inclusion next time. And yes, I know "lock" is thrown around very liberally, usually. But I believe it fits here.
Then yeah, I can easily see an ARMS sequel being in the works as we speak. Even if it's just discussion and concepts for now.

I agree with Ring Fit as well, though Lord knows when the next Smash will eventually be made for that inclusion to happen, though.

Shroob

Sup?
So, correct me if I'm wrong but Steve can dump his lava over the edge of a stage right?

I can't find the pic for the life of me for some reason.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder if ARMS will eventually take off the way Splatoon did. I'm not sure how they missed the mark. I haven't played ARMS myself so excuse any ignorance that spews outta my mouth, but from what I know, ARMS has a considerable fanbase, but nothing huge or game-changing. It's just kind of like "ARMS, yeah, that Switch launch title about boxing. It was fun for a few hours."
Listen, people have to stop comparing new IPs to Splatoon. Because Splatoon is not the benchmark for how new IPs should perform. It performed far far in excess of expectations, and has surpassed 95% of other Nintendo series. It's not the barometer for success as much as it is for a phenomenon of sorts. In its two titles, it's sold around the entirety of the FE franchise.

2 million isn't missing the mark. That's very decent. That's entirely a success, especially for a new IP. That's basically what Kirby and Metroid do, on a good day. There are many Nintendo IPs that haven't reached that level, or take many titles to do so.

ARMS does have shortcomings, but those mostly have to do with the content in the game, as opposed to the commercial performance. Perhaps Nintendo expected it to have better legs (heh), because the sales did fall off pretty drastically... but there's no way they're done trying with that franchise.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If Monster Hunter's mii costumes return with Steve then I think we won't get any Capcom fighters for this pass. It's the same reason why I think we won't get any Namco fighters in this pass, why drop Heihachi's mii costume unceremoniously if a Namco fighter was planned?

TheBeastHimself

Listen, people have to stop comparing new IPs to Splatoon. Because Splatoon is not the benchmark for how new IPs should perform. It performed far far in excess of expectations, and has surpassed 95% of other Nintendo series. It's not the barometer for success as much as it is for a phenomenon of sorts. In its two titles, it's sold around the entirety of the FE franchise.

2 million isn't missing the mark. That's very decent. That's entirely a success, especially for a new IP. That's basically what Kirby and Metroid do, on a good day. There are many Nintendo IPs that haven't reached that level, or take many titles to do so.

ARMS does have shortcomings, but those mostly have to do with the content in the game, as opposed to the commercial performance. Perhaps Nintendo expected it to have better legs (heh), because the sales did fall off pretty drastically... but there's no way they're done trying with that franchise.
Having this all explained to me, it's certainly good to hear that ARMS has a bright future ahead. Like I said, forgive my ignorance lol, I actually didn't know any of this.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
No, Cacomallow was, is and always will be fake.
I've seen someone showing screenshot of an hat that was identical to the one in the "leak" and confirming that it was modded. The person claimed that it was not the actual thing, it was a copy, but it was perfectly identical to polygon level and the "glitch" they were pointing out as proof that it was impossible to fully recreate it was instead the Mii's black hair clipping through the hat's model and not really a glitch.
Though if you'd like, you can show me that screenshot

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The weirdest thing about today's announcement was that there is now a character in Smash who was designed to be a parody of a creepypasta (Slenderman and Enderman).
So, Slenderman is in Smash spiritually, now.

Siren Head and Cartoon Cat confirmed, everybody.

TheBeastHimself

It's funny how in the end Nintendo did get people to care about the Miis more than most of the other characters.

Just not for the right reasons. :laugh:
Miis are like Toads, I hate 'em!! Especially that yellow Toad from Mario Galaxy that just sleeps, should've thrown them right out of the Observatory's orbit.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I highly doubt they've been working on Steve for five years straight. Negotiating but falling short of the mark multiple times, I could see, but definitely not working on them. Just because Nintendo and Microsoft/Mojang were talking about it doesn't mean they were 100% committed to them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Having this all explained to me, it's certainly good to hear that ARMS has a bright future ahead. Like I said, forgive my ignorance lol, I actually didn't know any of this.
No worries. Sorry if I seemed terse, but Splatoon seems to be the example to which everyone wants to hold up new IPs, despite the level of its success being very atypical.

It's basically like wondering why all Nintendo series can't be triple-A titles out of the gate.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think ARMS' biggest sin is the sin of a lot of modern fighting games, it lacked much to do outside of, well, fighting. ARMS does have a surprisingly high level of depth to its combat, but the issue is that there just isn't a ton for those who don't want to explore that system to its absolute fullest. The mini-games were a decent distraction to this issue, but there's still not enough variety to really have people continue playing the game for a long time if they're not interested in high level in competitive play.

The way most fighters get around this is:
1. Story mode with cinematic cutscenes to attract causal fans.
2. Nickel and diming those who are in for the long haul with costume packs, long term support, and (unfortunately) microtransactions.

I think 1 is pretty much inevitable for an ARMS sequel, while 2 was kinda played with given the game's decently long support and free post-launch characters. Here's to hoping the guy who priced Diddy Kong in Mario Kart Tour stays far away from ARMS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom